Author Topic: Advice on a bizarre night...  (Read 863 times)

JonJon

Advice on a bizarre night...
« on: April 26, 2007, 04:56:59 PM »
When I was a student I started reading and exploring 'esoteric' subjects, and was at one point experimenting with some Qabalistic techniques. The night after my first bit of dabbling, I went with a group of frieds to an Indian restaurant. Half way through the evening I glanced up and saw an Indian goddess engraved on a mirror in front of me. For about a minute I 'disappeared' in a rapture of ecstasy. Then the feeling went, and I got on with my meal. I was confused, but not frightened.

Then later that evening, as I was getting ready for bed, I found myself staring into a mirror as I brushed my teeth. I think I became hypnotised as I stared into my eyes. I ending up staring into the mirror for what felt like about ten minutes, but might have been half an hour, totally mesmerized. What stopped me staring was a feeling of vibration that started all over my body. It felt like I was plugged into the mains. It wasn't an unpleasant sensation, but felt definitely strange. At the same time I started 'knowing stuff'. Thoughts popped into my mind from seemingly nowhere - stuff like 'our time on this Earth is limited'. Anyway, aware that I might end up staring into the mirror all night, I decided to break my gaze.

As soon as I did things got really weird. Instead of a buzzing sensation in my head and all over my body, the feeling I got was one of pins and needles. I also became very frightened. I decided the books I had been reading were to blame, and actually grabbed them and a lighter, determined to burn them. Before I did this the fear subsided, though the tingling, pins and needles feeling remained. I lay down, and eventually managed to sleep.

Anyway, my question is, what exactly happened? Was it something to do with Kundalini. I'm feeling very drawn to yoga at the moment, and Vedic astrology, but it would be nice to get the opinion of people who are further down the road than me.

Om

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 01:19:35 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by JonJon

Anyway, my question is, what exactly happened? Was it something to do with Kundalini. I'm feeling very drawn to yoga at the moment, and Vedic astrology,

Om

Hi JonJon, welcome to the AYP forum,[:)]

Any ideas about what exactly happened can at best be good guesses, but I remember a few years back, before I got into yoga and AYP, having had some similar experiences. To me it is the beginning or initial stirrings of your inner Being/ Self wanting to know its true nature. I see it as an initial (spiritual) awakening, where there are often stirrings of the inner energies that you describe (Kundalini). The accompanying fear, which I experienced as well, is a sign-post that there is work to be done in order for this awakening to be fully realized.

I would encourage you to follow your instincts and explore the 8 limbs of yoga which can be found in the most amazingly clear and concise way, right here with AYP.

You can start reading here:

quote:
http://www.aypsite.com/plus/MainDirectory.html

Best of luck to you![:)]

A

lucidinterval1

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 12:45:16 PM »
Welcome aboard JonJon,

I have had similar experiences gazing into the looking glass myself. Anthem's reply seems right on to me. It certainly has to do with kundalini energies and if prematurely awakened it can be quite frightening.

You mention that you are feeling very drawn to yoga. That's exactly what happened with me. I didn't understand the incredible pull, but I went with it. AYP will get your body and neuro system properly tuned to handle the kundalini flow.

Best of luck,
Paul

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 02:08:59 PM »
JonJon,

Great question!

My suggestion is that either you were having a spiritual experience, or you were having a breakdown. Here's how to distinguish: how happy and peaceful were you at the time? The thing about insanity is that it NEVER brings peace or happiness. It can key you up, it can give you big ideas or powerful energy, but never peace or happiness. THAT'S THE TEST!

You describe the feeling as ecstatic. And all the negative things ('fear", "weirdness") were REACTIONS to what you were experiencing, and not intrinsic to the experience itself (such reaction is understandable; we westerners don't have anything in our paradigm for such experiences!). So my impression is that you got a nice sneak preview of some of the stuff you have to look forward to.

The fear is an overlay. You can drop that. You can let stuff happen, it's okay, I promise! You'll find ast this repeats that you won't "fall", you'll "float" (I hope that imagery resonates for you, it's awfully hard to put into words). Meditation is the standard way we hesitantly edge into learning to trust and let go. And you've come to the right place; AYP is a great system for that!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 02:09:55 PM by Jim and His Karma »

JonJon

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 07:28:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've rarely felt able to communicate this experience for fear that others will think I'm either crazy or making it up.
Jon

gumpi

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 01:25:59 AM »
pins and needles in the arms and fingers are signs of anxiety or panic disorder.  Make sure you aren't confusing the issue.

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 01:56:03 AM »
I think there are probably a lot of us who have had experiences like that. We don't say much about it because each individual has different experiences, and they only have specific meaning to that person. That kind of experience can cause one to search endlessly for the meaning, but a better route is to do meditation and pranayama practices (main lessons link above).

While this won't necessarily give one the answer to their meaning, it does fairly soon give one the definite feeling that it is the path leading in the same direction as those visions were trying to lead to. So meditation doesn't give what your ego wanted, but it gives what your heart wanted, and so is much more satisfying in the long term.
i had many of these kind of visions a long time ago. One time I was under a street light at night, and tried a technique I had read about to see "other-worldly things", crossing my eyes slightly. Suddenly I could see the 60hz blinking of the streetlight, and at the same time I felt that I had become that frequency, and if I just let go, I would leave this world and enter another one. I decided that wasn't a good idea, for fear of leaving an insane remnant of myself here, so I closed my eyes, shook my head and moved out of the streetlight.
Another time i had the flu, and was walking through the woods, and felt the presence of a great, underground light. I felt I knew exactly where it was, a few hundred feet away, and I knew what it looked like, a multi-colored crystalline, underground room, and if I walked into it, everything in my world would change. I decided I shoulden't go there because I was sick and weak, so I avoided it. Another time I woke up in the middle of the night, and saw a spider descending from above me on a web, kicking it's legs as it lowered itself. But it was no ordinary spider. It was pitch black in the room, and this spider gave off light of every color as it moved. It scared me, and i moved out of the way, and turned the light on, and there was nothing there.

OK Jonjon, now you shouldn't feel hesitant to say anything!
i bet everyone here has stuff like that they don't talk about.

Mainly because all the stories tell you is there is spiritual energy in you, and meditation is the way to pursue it. Thanks for bringing it up; it's fun to remember things like that.

Victor

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 04:18:12 AM »
You know, it also sounds possible that someone might have slipped you a psychedelic drug. Is that something that you have considered?

Richard

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 06:47:38 AM »
I agree with that it sounds a hell of a lot like an LSD experience to me but you never know it could have been a spontaneous kundalini awakening [8D]

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 06:54:33 AM »
I get similar from K, fwiw. No "your time on earth" messages, and it doesn't happen from mirror reflections. But sights/sounds can do it

JonJon

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 12:28:24 AM »
There was definitely no LSD involved. As for the prickling sensation, this was very different from the pins and needles which are sometimes felt by those suffering from anxiety problems, and which is simply caused by hyperventilation. The prickling had an electrical quality to to it, and was all over my body, not just in my hands and feet.

Richard

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 01:39:28 AM »
Hi JonJon

quote:
There was definitely no LSD involved. As for the prickling sensation, this was very different from the pins and needles which are sometimes felt by those suffering from anxiety problems, and which is simply caused by hyperventilation. The prickling had an electrical quality to to it, and was all over my body, not just in my hands and feet.

Well that definitely sounds like a spontaneous kundalini experience then [8D]

As Ether said...
quote:
I think there are probably a lot of us who have had experiences like that. We don't say much about it because each individual has different experiences, and they only have specific meaning to that person. That kind of experience can cause one to search endlessly for the meaning, but a better route is to do meditation and pranayama practices (main lessons link above).

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 01:43:17 AM by Richard »