Author Topic: 49 Days After Conception  (Read 4718 times)

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
49 Days After Conception
« on: October 05, 2009, 04:15:30 AM »
Namaste Friends.....

I have a question about fetal human spiritual development..... (Moderators please feel free to move this topic if you feel it could be better placed somewhere else)

It is fairly well known now that the human fetus's pineal gland as well as the sex of the baby is visually seen for the first time on the 49th day after conception.....it is also fairly well known (as I understand it) that according to the Tibetan Book of the Dead, it takes 49 days after death for a soul to be able to reincarnate.  Rene Descartes called the pineal gland "the seat of the soul" and some have speculated that on the 49th day after conception, that this is when the soul is "implanted" in the fetus.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Anyone have any comments, criticisms, accolades?  Would love to hear your opinion on this subject.

Love,
Carson[^]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:18:59 AM by CarsonZi »

NSB

49 Days After Conception
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »
I felt something very odd during the 6th week after conception. I felt what I would describe as my baby's soul entering my body. I felt like I was walking around with a giant energetic tube the size of a telephone pole on top of my head. I was ambiguous about being pregnant as it was unplanned, and so was inclined to ignore this energy. Eventually I sat quietly with this energy and my future son and I had a conversation.

Me: Why did you pick me? Why now?
Baby: I want you two as my parents because you are both kind and I will be able to grow up to be who I want to be in the world.

This flattered me enough that I felt OK about going into the pregnancy, even though it was unplanned and the baby's father was hard to understand at that point. And indeed turned out to be not right for me at all. We have now separated.

At the time I was telling this story to people and someone told me that the soul enters the body in the 6th week, that would be after day 42.

My 2nd baby didn't make any huge announcements at the 6 week mark. But I did have a vivid dream where he looked exactly like he turned out to look, about 2 weeks before he was born. I was convinced I was having a girl, but in this dream he was male, and I was convinced all my babies would be small and wiry like the first one, but this one had rolls, and blonde hair.

I have a 3rd child waiting to be conceived, too. Long story. She has been talking to her future father too. Her name is Ruby and we talk about her like she is already here. Both of us have had visual images of her as a dark haired curly haired girly-girl in party dresses.

I have read a book by Michael Newton called Journey of Souls: Stories of life between lives. After reading this I wonder whether you'd wait only 49 days to reincarnate. Who knows how plastic time is when you're out of these bodies though anyway.

How far along is your baby? Do you have a sense of the gender?

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
49 Days After Conception
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:25:28 PM »
Hi NSB....

Cool experiences!

We are exactly 2 months pregnant today.  The sex was determined last week.  My wife said all week last week (before I told when the sex is formed) had been feeling that it is a girl....we checked the Chinese birth calendar and indeed it said we should be having a girl.  Neither of us care though....we're just hoping for a healthy baby.

We will find out for sure at our next ultrasound in a month or so.

Love,
Carson[^]

Konchok Ösel Dorje

• http://www.vajrayoga.org
49 Days After Conception
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 01:27:29 PM »
According to the Tibetan Book of the Dead it can take anywhere from a split second to 49 days to be reborn, on average. Some people will remain in the bardo for very long periods of time, centuries... The TBD does not posit a soul.

According to Tibetan lore, the mind waiting to be reborn sees one's future parents copulating and hovers over them, and while feeling attraction to one and aversion to the other is born the sex opposite the attractive one. This event happens at conception, not 49 days after conception.

Rene Descartes is not an authority on the function of the pineal gland. The pineal gland is not the seat of the soul. If there is a soul, it is dependent on the whole organism not one organ or one gland inside one organ.

Modern science makes it clear that both this account of rebirth and Decartes mind/body dualism is unfounded. Spiritual practice, IMO, should be excised from folklore and dead theories from the past.

HH the Dalai Lama has even said that one of the fundamental treatises of traditional Buddhism, the Abhidharma should be abandoned, because modern science is refuted it totally. Our spiritual beliefs must stand scrutiny or be abandoned.

There is evidence of people remembering lives previous to their own. Does this mean that that person experienced that past life? That depends on if the person recalls those memories in the first person. But even if one experiences a memory in the first person, couldn't this be similar to watching a movie in the first person? It is just a point of view. This begs the question, What is it that accords ownership to our memories or to anything?

Who we are constantly changes. Our mind and personality is like a rushing river. It is never the same. Suppose I reproduce a ship called the Nausea, as follows: Every few months I remove one plank, and replace it with a new plank. The old plank I keep in a safe place. After some time, all the planks of the Nausea are in a pile, and I can rebuild the original Nausea. Now there are two Nausea ships? Or is there? In the meantime, all the tasks and events schedule for the Nausea are endured by the ship with all new planks.

Who one was in the past life is not the same person as is born. Close but not same. It is only close enough for the karmic repercussions of the past to rebalance.

My own limited first-hand experience comes from meditation and a few trips. Waking up in another body entails being someone else. But that first-person(ness) is not different than my own. Philosophers of mind are big on making it seem as if there is unique quality to each persons sense of self. This is just an erroneous intuition.

Perhaps there is some special aroma to our mass of memories and our experience of our own body-mind this moment. But would it smell the same if "someone else" where in that body? I believe it would.

We like to talk as if there is something unique about ourselves, but this is just a useful way to go about talking. I'm positing an utterly common nature, hence, common sense, to the sense of self, to our first-person-sense. For those like us delving deeply, this should not be missed.

Reincarnation is misunderstood, oversimplified. All the traits contained in the personalities are like a list of possibilities. As we go through life we pick up traits and drop others. Some newborn may have substantially all the traits of someone who died, but not all. The purpose of positing rebirth is to make sense of karma, which is a notion of justice, retributive effects of one's own actions. Karma give one a sense that one's acts will not die with you. You will be reborn and reap the punishment or reward.

This is a very simplified rendition of the facts. Reincarnation is not well understood. When a new person is born with all the proclivities (desires/aversions) substantially similar to one who has died, those potential desires/aversions magnetically attract the unborn effects of previous acts.

Thus, we can just as easily understand that our act effects the newborn that we will become, or just that our acts reverberate into the future broadly.

I have a sense of experiencing past lives myself. What do we make of unlearned skills, like children born violinists, athletes or fighters? In esoteric yoga, there is the mention of an indestructible wind which is carried from death to birth. It is this wind which is tracked by past karma. It is also this wind, also called these seed, which is purified into enlightenment.

The bottom line is we are all inter-dependent, and an inter-being. We bear the effects of our own past acts and the effects of others. We shoulder each other crosses. All of existence is of one taste; there is no difference between us. Equality runs through and through.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:48:29 PM by Konchok Ösel Dorje »

NSB

49 Days After Conception
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 05:35:08 AM »
More on baby gender: I have read that you can look at the MOON sign on the day of conception. Western astrological signs are either masculine or feminine. Supposedly the masculine moon makes a male baby. Both my pregnancies support this theory (but in the 2nd one I felt that I was having a girl so I convinced myself that conception maybe didn't take place until the day after we had sex, when the moon moved into a feminine sign. That turned out to be a delusion!) Be interesting to look at it from this angle and see if the Western and Chinese systems agree.

brother neil

49 Days After Conception
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 12:05:01 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Anyone have any comments, criticisms, accolades?  
Love,
Carson[^]

why worry about it, unless it is just for fun  :)
your awesome
brother Neil

markern

49 Days After Conception
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 06:05:19 AM »
I have connected those two pieces of information myself. I find it very interesting