Author Topic: Changes in personal life  (Read 4566 times)

riptiz

Changes in personal life
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 06:17:10 AM »
Dear Shanti,
You are correct experiences are simply experiences , nothing else.The inner silence you are now feeling as things dissolve is more imortant but even these are considered immaterial sometimes.Nearness to God is considered the ultimate traditionally but I feel to try and improve yourself for the benefit of not only yourself but for others and to help others is one of the most important things to look for.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'

Jim and His Karma

Changes in personal life
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 03:38:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem11

I guess Kundalini is great in terms of having more energy available for the internal house-cleaning but the other thing about Kundalini is that it is a double edged sword, your body becomes very high-maintenance.

Bravo, Anthem. Yes. It's very much like puberty (Yogani's analogy). You get some new biology, but things aren't quite the same, and there's stuff to attend to and watch out for. It's supposed to be a spiritual thing, but it feels really biological. Those who haven't had it ain't missing much. Just close your eyes, listen for mantra, and let go. That's everything....all you need.

I have some thoughts on the energy stuff. I need to clear away enough time to write them down. see my postings in the taoist versus yoga thread for a little bit of it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 03:41:51 PM by Jim and His Karma »

Jim and His Karma

Changes in personal life
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2005, 03:40:05 PM »
quote:
I read gopikrishna say that once kundalini is awakened it takes about 5-10 years for enligtenment. Somehow fixed numbers like that sound doubtful to me.

fixed numbers like that are doubtful.

Some stuff you read gives you a buzz. Pay attention to that stuff. Some stuff just makes you wrinkle your nose. Don't read that stuff. :) :)

yogani

• AYP Plus
Changes in personal life
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 03:36:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Melissa

In this somewhere else - I WAS everything and everything and everyone was connected.  and it was the most awesome experience ever.  But I haven't been able to get back there, no matter how much Pink Floyd plays in the background!

Hi Melissa:

It was a peek between the clouds on the path of purification. While it seemed there was a choice, it really depends on finishing the housecleaning project -- clearing the clouds. And we all know how to do that by now. That is the real choice we have.

The guru is in you.

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Changes in personal life
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 06:48:42 AM »
Getting back to Richard’s original post, I think this is a great topic and would like to share my observations on it. I find that the positive changes that have occurred in my daily life far surpass any of the individual experiences I have had (though they are fun too) and are turning my everyday living closer all the time into a dream come true the more I practice.

Like Richard mentions at the top, I have noticed a big improvement in the personal relationships in my life, particularly the ones that I used to find more challenging. It is hard to pin-point exactly why, other than that I notice far less friction when interacting, I think it has to do with having less ego involved, no longer feeling the need to impress or prove a point etc. People also seem more at ease around me for the most part too.

I also feel a lot calmer overall and have learned to let go of a lot of the tensions that can creep into the body over the course of a day from holding on to stress. I am finding it easier to create the reality that I want and am less disappointed when things don't go my way.

The change that makes me most happy though is having more empathy and compassion for others. When someone acts out or is angry, fearful etc., I find I now have a clearer understanding than I used to with why they are behaving in a particular way. This helps me see the reasons and motives for their actions and enables me to not take things personally.

Lastly, I have come to see “negative” emotions as just emotions and not something that has to grab on to me and/ or shape my behavior. Fear comes but it is just fear, nothing to get too worked up about etc.  I find this very liberating.

I hope others will share the changes they have noticed since beginning practices as well.

Anthem

Jim and His Karma

Changes in personal life
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 08:20:42 AM »
That's a perfect description of my own experience. And I've confirmed it by having periods when I stop or slow practicing (unavoidable, my life is nuts, though I'm working to fix it), and I see these things go away...and then come back when I start again. So no doubt at all.

"having less ego involved, no longer feeling the need to impress or prove a point"

a lot of times this is translated as "detachment". Unfortunately, that's an awfully cold term, and it's easy to get the idea that you're supposed to be so aloof or withdrawn that nothing bugs you. It's not that...you're still engaged (in fact, more so) you just have less at stake in any given result. You  immerse in the action but detach from the result.

If you notice this, and cultivate more of it (mostly by witnessing, and being aware how great it feels...though meditation itself will continue to grow it for you), it becomes your way of being. And this is one rare way in which outer experience is actually helpful in meditation. If, as you do practices, you find yourself getting pushy/grabby about "results" (or about anything else),  apply this same detachment. Just let it go. Let it all go. More. More. More.

You have no idea how much you're still grabbing all the time ....or how much cumulative joy and ease you have to look forward to as you untie those knots! It's like a big mountain of chocolate to lick.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 08:25:13 AM by Jim and His Karma »

Jim and His Karma

Changes in personal life
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 07:39:41 PM »
Have I been mentioning chocolate a lot? I do have a potent craving for it lately.

Manipura

• http://www.meghitchcock.com
Changes in personal life
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2005, 02:54:39 AM »
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma
Have I been mentioning chocolate a lot?

yes - I believe you compared samyama to 9 types of chocolate . . .[8)]

Jim and His Karma

Changes in personal life
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2005, 07:22:22 AM »
That was MONTHS ago! Wow, you are a chocoholic.....

Manipura

• http://www.meghitchcock.com
Changes in personal life
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 01:54:00 AM »
>>That was MONTHS ago! Wow, you are a chocoholic.....

no Jim -  I just have a good memory.

-meglissa

david_obsidian

Changes in personal life
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 03:30:11 AM »

C'mon Meg,  you're a woman and your name begins with M.  How much more individuality do you want?  Don't worry about having chocolate written all over you.  It's better than having it all over you.  [8D]

AYPforum

Changes in personal life
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 12:53:25 PM »
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement