Author Topic: OK to do AYP with your pet?  (Read 1141 times)

solo

OK to do AYP with your pet?
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:39:19 AM »
Recently, my dog has started getting in my lap while I meditate.  Twice a day, it seems that no matter when I meditate, she finds me and jumps up in my lap.

She doesn't distract me, so I have been letting her stay in my lap throughout the practice.  Does anyone see any potential pittfalls of this?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 11:16:41 PM by AYPforum »

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:52:36 AM »
Hi solo

My dog - Trolle - used to come and lie at my feet when I meditated. The animals are naturally drawn towards Silence [:)]

To have the dog in your lap could of course lead to distractions (very few dogs lay completely still), but if it doesn't seem to disturb you then I guess it is fine. Who knows.....maybe the peace of your dog helps you to go deeper.....

However - if you start to notice that you become dependant on your dog for deep meditation...then better not only meditate with your dog in your lap. One day the dog will not be there....and what then?

Also - when the perception becomes more subtle, you may become aware of the energetic presence of your dog.....and this might disturb you in subtle ways.....

Let's see what others here say about this issue.....

Lucky dog, by the way [:D]

jillatay

• http://www.jillatay.com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »
My cats always want to sit on or near me during meditation.  I notice that one particularly likes when my ecstatic energy is running high.  I find it distracting and put them in the other room.  After all, they purr and can even knead me with their paws.  I think the energy is very attractive to them.  But their energy and mine can get mixed up and then I wouldn't know who was what. [;)]

Also, don't think I'm nuts, but I  heard a voice in my head one morning say, "the cats are getting in the way" and who am I to ignore such a direct instruction. [:I]

Love to all,
Jill

tadeas

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 11:57:43 AM »
Our cat often tries to desperately enter the room where I'm meditating, does she feel it? I don't know :)

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 04:16:38 PM »
Both my dogs have a "need" to be in the room while I meditate.  They aren't distracting to me as they just lay there quietly until I am done, but there is definitely an attraction for animals to "the silence", as Katrine says, I think.

Love,
Carson[^]

emc

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 07:22:01 PM »
My cat was often in my lap when I meditated (she is now gone). It was no distraction whatsoever. After all, I was her and she was me, and there was just energy present without ownership... When senses draw inwards, any outer source of sound or touch is gone anyway... But everyone is different. I guess you will have to do some trial and error and see what practice conditions are best for you. [:)]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:43:13 PM by emc »

AYPforum

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 11:16:41 PM »
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement

Prem

• http://www.sarniayogaclinic.com
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 02:10:42 AM »
My dear cats are also drawn to me when I meditate.  I love their presence and do not want to discourage them but I get easily distracted, esp. if they begin kneading.  So, for the present I am tolerating as much as I can as I feel there is a purpose to their being near.  Some days they will sit on a nearby chair and it seems they are meditating themselves :)

SeySorciere

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 10:05:12 PM »
My cat joins me for asanas when it comes to one pose only - our favorite pose: Shavasana (corpse pose). My son has taken a beautiful pic of us in that pose. [:D]

[3]

Sey

Omsat

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 12:03:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

My cat joins me for asanas when it comes to one pose only - our favorite pose: Shavasana (corpse pose). My son has taken a beautiful pic of us in that pose. [:D]

[3]

Sey

Same here: Shavasana and meditation are events kittie  loves to join.
Once in a while I let her be, but not making a habit of it.. She then often stays by the door, just out of the room but still closeby [:)]

Omsat

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

[3]

Sey

Same here: Shavasana and meditation are events kittie  loves to join.
Once in a while I let her be, but not making a habit of it.. She then often stays by the door, just out of the room but still closeby [:)]
I wouldn't attach much special meaning to it though.. She loves joining in for the siesta and sleeping events also [:D]

kensbikes100

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Both my dogs have a "need" to be in the room while I meditate.  They aren't distracting to me as they just lay there quietly until I am done, but there is definitely an attraction for animals to "the silence", as Katrine says, I think.

Love,
Carson[^]

My cat does not like to be separated from me when she wants to be with me, so she doesn't understand a door that is closed to her with me on the other side.  I feel it's not kind to her to keep it closed, and no, she is not an intrusion, even when she does stretch out on my leg.

Byt it's not based on AYP, she does the same thing when the TV is on.