Author Topic: Books + techniques for beginners?  (Read 840 times)

11jono11

Books + techniques for beginners?
« on: October 05, 2010, 06:10:56 PM »
Hello, a service user I am working with (in mental health) is interested in some mindfulness,/ meditation techniques + resources/books to help him with OCD/anxiety issues. I was going to write up a basic practice routine for him cenetered around mindfulness, maybe some brief meditation and perhaps a bit of self inquiry + suggest a book or two. He has specifically stated that he is not interested in RELIGION [:)] or anything like that so I don't think he would be an AYPer (not yet anyway), just looking to teach him some techniques etc to help him throughout life (and possibily indirectly/directly help to progress awakening). Regarding books I was going to get him Eckhart Tolles the power of now (I haven't read new earth yet and have a thing against recommending books I have not read), as it is in simple language and has been generally accepted well by the masses / west. Can anyone suggest any books / resources that they think would be appropriate for this person?

Additionally he likes to exercise every morning so I was thinking of showing him the AYP yoga routine + aerobic AYP suggestions etc, as an add on to his morning work out + possibly suggest it to preceed the practice routine I am writing up, does anyone have any suggestions around the Yoga asana side of things for someone who likes to work out? / That might also help with stress/anxiety/OCD (+awakening)?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Love

Om Shanti . x [^]

kaserdar

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:52:37 PM »
Here is a free e-book link about mindfulness meditation called Mindfulness in Plain English that he might like
http://www.vipassana.com/meditation/mindfulness_in_plain_english.php

amoux

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »
I'd recommend Jon Kabat-Zinn's Mindfulnes Meditation cds - includes a body scan, sitting meditation and two mindful yoga (asanas) meditations.  The book to accompany the cds is called Full Catastrophe Living, by the same author.  The program is practical, non-religious, and extremely effective.

I'd steer well clear of Tolle or anything similar at the moment - and self-inquiry too.  If he can get a firm foundation established, everything else will come in time.

11jono11

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 03:25:12 AM »
Thank you both

quote:
I'd steer well clear of Tolle or anything similar at the moment - and self-inquiry too. If he can get a firm foundation established, everything else will come in time.

just out of interest why do you say this?

Love[^]

amoux

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 05:54:11 AM »
True self-inquiry is destabilising to the personality - that's the aim, to see the nature of the illusion of the separate identity.  I completely agree with Yogani, that self-inquiry will arise naturally and should not be forced.  It's a very powerful practice, and seemingly helpful to many people, however, if someone is dealing with mental health issues the potential for a break is there.  Just my 2 cents.

Nonduality teachings such as Tolle and others have the same destabilising potential.  Which is why I'd be very cautious about introducing them to someone dealing with mental health issues, until a firm foundation of mindfulness is established.  

Just to be clear, I'm a big fan of Byron Katie's "The Work" and of self-inquiry generally - but it is very potent.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 05:58:10 AM by amoux »

11jono11

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:11:30 AM »
I agree, from experience the personality / ego has been shaken up by inquiry (but then also to an extent has been dealt with, by dissociation).

I do agree with you but, it is odd how mindfulness is so beneficial for those with mental health issues but self inquiry can be destabilizing, as the result of both is the same (I guess you could say the end result of all Sadhana is the same but you know what I mean, short term), silent awareness, silent attention witnessing, watching thoughts pass by, being mindful of all that is occurring, I guess the main difference is the reminder in self inquiry that we are nothing, emptiness etc.

Do you know what I mean?

Just out of interest, do you work in mental health?

Love [:)]

11jono11

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 07:14:52 AM »
Also what is the precise title of the meditation CDS?

Love[:)]

amoux

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 10:15:52 PM »
I know what you're getting at - but with mindfulness practice there's no direct assault on the ego identity.  With self-inquiry, sometimes the bottom can drop out, and the fall-out can be substantial.  I remember Byron Katie saying that for some people, they do the Work and the whole deck of cards falls to the floor - I'm paraphrasing, of course.  My view is simply that unless someone is deliberately and knowingly embarking on that kind of a voyage of discovery, I wouldn't push them on that path.

I work with people who have mental health issues, but am by no means a mental health professional, although I have contacts with them.  I'm particularly interested in mindfulness techniques as adjunctive support for those with mental health issues - specifically bipolar.

Here's a link to the book and the cds - the cds can be used as a stand alone, but I'd recommend the book too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Full-Catastrophe-Living-Mindfulness-Meditation/dp/0749915854/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287141130&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guided-Mindfulness-Meditation-Jon-Kabat-Zinn/dp/1591793599/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1287141130&sr=8-5

11jono11

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 01:58:47 AM »
quote:
I know what you're getting at - but with mindfulness practice there's no direct assault on the ego identity. With self-inquiry, sometimes the bottom can drop out, and the fall-out can be substantial. I remember Byron Katie saying that for some people, they do the Work and the whole deck of cards falls to the floor - I'm paraphrasing, of course. My view is simply that unless someone is deliberately and knowingly embarking on that kind of a voyage of discovery, I wouldn't push them on that path.

Yes I agree, mindfulness does seem to be the better option here, + telling someone with depression or anxiety they are in fact nothing probably wouldn't be received so well [:D].

quote:
I work with people who have mental health issues, but am by no means a mental health professional, although I have contacts with them. I'm particularly interested in mindfulness techniques as adjunctive support for those with mental health issues - specifically bipolar.

Very interesting, good work, I think mindfulness/ meditation/ yoga has a key role to play in mental (as well as physical) health. I am doing my dissertation on MBCT and it's effects on mood disorders (so very close to your area, by the sounds of it), perhaps I could send you some links/journals that I come across on the way, + visa versa.

Thank you for your links + help so far, and I am sure the person / people I am working with thank you [:)].

I intend to get both of the items you've recommended, though I am also writing up a template for a session, perhaps I will post it/ could get your opinion of it when it is done?

(Just out of interest are you a practicing AYPer?)

Thank you again.

Om Shanti [:)]

amoux

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 03:16:04 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 11jono11
I think mindfulness/ meditation/ yoga has a key role to play in mental (as well as physical) health. I am doing my dissertation on MBCT and it's effects on mood disorders (so very close to your area, by the sounds of it), perhaps I could send you some links/journals that I come across on the way, + visa versa.

Thank you for your links + help so far, and I am sure the person / people I am working with thank you [:)].

I intend to get both of the items you've recommended, though I am also writing up a template for a session, perhaps I will post it/ could get your opinion of it when it is done?

(Just out of interest are you a practicing AYPer?)

You're very welcome - and I'd be delighted to see your session plan. It'd be great to swap some ideas and links, as you suggest [:)]

And yes, I'm an AYPer - when the practices became too activating for me back at the start of this year, I did the mindfulness program (on my own) - and it was hugely beneficial.  It's definitely in my top 5 of effective techniques, and I continue to reap the rewards of it.  I was able to return to AYP, and found the mindfulness practice I had done actively contributed to the depth of inner silence.

I should mention that in addition to AYP I alternate samyama and metta practice, morning and evening, and I also do a few minutes of tonglen at the end of practices, morning and evening.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:36:32 AM by amoux »