Author Topic: why do people quit the spiritual path?  (Read 2616 times)

YogaIsLife

why do people quit the spiritual path?
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 05:34:14 AM »
Hi Carson,

I appreciate your struggle. I believe you are in the right track though. We all have our struggles, but for me, as long as I keep meditating, I seem to be more "protected" and "aligned" than if not so I have faith that everything is going to be ok if I keep on having courage, faith and keep being aware of my insides.

Regarding Marijuana, I used it for a little while and I wouldnn't enjoy it for the long term. I can understand it can cloud the mind, so, for your own well being, I'd say it is better to be able to quit. I had great experiences but also some very bad ones. In short, I was not in control, it was clouding my mind. For me, that was a bad thing. But I do understand its appeal and only you can tell if you find it somehow beneficial or a hindrance.

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2009, 05:44:16 AM »
Hi YIL,

Just FYI, I quit smoking weed on Jan 10th this year, so I am clean and not using.  BUT, I still occasionally feel that I would be better off using (a little) because it will make me more "comfortable" and allow me easier access to "peace of mind".  But I also know that if I give these feelings time and space and can let go of them I will be much better off in the end for it.  This is what I am doing.  I just wanted you all to know that I am struggling the same as everyone else.  I have gotten a sense lately that some here may think I am further along then I am and I don't want people to build up any biases on where I may be at in my journey.  I am on the journey same as everyone else, but I am struggling right alongside you all.  We all have expectations, me included.  I am hopefully getting to a time in my life though where I can more easily release these expectations as I can see them now as the root of all suffering (IMO).

Love,
Carson[^]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:36:15 AM by CarsonZi »

brother neil

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

I expect yoga to be like a science.  That is all i can ask.  If it isn't then it shouldn't be called a science, it should be called an art.

I've pretty much had it with all this God business now.  I don't believe in God any more.

Because of God being the unexplainable variable that superceeds all that exists, in actuality there are no sciences, only arts.  Life is art and Yogani has put together a pretty nice practice for those who enjoy that art which he speaks of.
just thoughts
Neil

yogibear

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2009, 11:56:38 PM »
Hi gumpi,

I meditate for one basic reason: pleasure. I take pleasure in stillness or relative stillness and quiet awareness that occurs in meditation since it is the tumoil in the mind which is the primary source of pain. And I look forward to more and more pleasure and god doesn't really enter into the equation for me so much.

Sometimes you have to mine a ton of dirt to find an ounce of gold but it is there and it is worth it. This is a science and an art and a philosophy. A yogi can only show you were to dig. If you keep digging there, you will strike it rich, sooner or later.

Have you read Yogani's book on Bhakti and Karma Yoga? It addresses these issues.

From my point of view, grace is karma.

Best, yb.

anthony574

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2009, 01:07:10 AM »
You would like Timothy Leary's take on meditation and Dharma practice, yogibear. He said something along the lines of "Why do people do yoga and meditation? To get high!"

gumpi

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 05:14:32 AM »
Yes sure, the side effects of yoga and meditation are pleasurable feelings of relaxation and some good feelings.  But to me this is not enough.  I want to know if there is a God.  Everything else pails in comparison to that.  I mean, what is the point in talking about auotmatic yogas and kundalini if God doesn't exist?  You must know that the vast majority of the global population simply know nothing about kundalini and perhaps if they did know they wouldn't seperate it from God?

Katrine

• http://katrinekristiansen.com/
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 06:02:19 AM »
Hi Gumpi

quote:
Yes sure, the side effects of yoga and meditation are pleasurable feelings of relaxation and some good feelings. But to me this is not enough

It is great that you don't settle for little, gumpi!

quote:
I want to know if there is a God

Wonderful....it means you have Bhakti.

Nothing but direct experience will satisfy you. It is like love.....it means nothing unless you taste it [:)] And when tasted...what we call it simply matters not. It is written that God is Love. And if this is so.....then to taste it is all, isn't it....

I think you are doing great, by the way......your posts have changed a lot, are you meditating regularly now?

I have always had a huge desire for Truth. To know the very facticity of existence. I was so hungry sometimes, that I thought I would go mad....

Instead.....the silence krept into every nook and cranny......and today there is absolutely no knowledge at all of what God is....what you are...what I am.

It just sacredly is.

Goddessinside

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2009, 03:51:03 AM »
Desire is Life..
Desire in itself is the fire...
Desire without considering the object ..
It's when we associate an object to it that it becomes
a bondage and a source of frustration.

...Just Peace...