Author Topic: why do people quit the spiritual path?  (Read 2614 times)

ab25

why do people quit the spiritual path?
« on: January 18, 2009, 04:02:54 AM »
I have been on another forum for a while and was surprised to find out many of them had been on spirtual paths and quit. Now they preach against it. One guy rants about how chakras don't exist, then I found out he spent time in an ashram. Another one says there is no god but he used to teach "A Course in Miracles".

I asked them and they said they woke up and realized it was a scam. I think they expected too much or didn't have the patience.

Does anybody have any insight on this topic?

Alan

karl

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 04:25:54 AM »
Selling a course in miracles and then suddenly realising it was a scam [:I]'Twasant me yer 'onor, big lads did it and ran away [:D]

Hmmm, well I think it's just a matter of deciding for yourself really. Bit like religion really, you partake in it if you feel you get something back. If you then decide it's not for you than that's also fine as there are many roads to our own personal goals.

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:28:14 AM »
It's because they don't get answers that their mind is looking for. Or maybe they were getting close to the truth and the mind got scared of losing it's identity and labeled it a scam and ran as far away from it as possible.[;)]

That is  why it is important to cultivate some inner silence.. then our inner guru will guide us to take what we need form a path and move on, rather than call it a scam. There are millions of spiritual paths out there.. and if one path helps even one person.. it's purpose is served. If one path takes you even one step closer to the truth, then it's purpose is served.

Every person is different, one path may take someone all the way.. but for most.. we need to pick out what works for us and move on... instead of getting caught up in the faults of the system or people in the system.

Yogani has done a wonderful job of picking the best flowers and making a beautiful AYP bouquet. We all need to do the same.

gumpi

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 04:50:05 AM »
I'm not surprised that the guy had a problems with A Course in Miracles.  That book teaches people that everything that happens in the entire world is their doing and responsibility, and when people do wrong to you that is also your fault.  

Chakras are real but i can understand why many people don't believe they exist.  A person i know who knew Paramahansa Yogananda told me that he believes the chakras are physical physiological phenomena and not spiritual (but i don't agree with him).  So you see, even people who experience chakras can claim they don't exist.

The internet is probably responsible for a lot of doubt too.  It is so easy to find dirt on almost anything with the internet.  So i would say keep that in mind.

ab25

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 05:41:58 AM »
I don't agree that "A course in miracles" is a scam. Higher beings lead me to it and are teaching it to me. I don't get the same message you do. That is not the point. I think all spiritual teachings have diamonds amid the dust.

I guess if you consider scientific skepticism a religion, maybe they found their path in that. The guy who lived in an ashram and now says chakras do not exist is perplexing. They also harbor a lot of hate for religion and spirituality. I guess this comes from feeling scammed.

ab25

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 06:05:04 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti
maybe they were getting close to the truth and the mind got scared of losing it's identity.

I think this is happening to me. Are there any teachings on the site about this?

Lacinato

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 06:51:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ab25

I guess if you consider scientific skepticism a religion, maybe they found their path in that.

For the person who is looking for something "out there" to tell them what to do, skepticism could be a good counter-balance to their disposition. Maybe people fall off the path because they were afraid, but for some, it's probably just a different path. Different strokes and all.

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 07:11:48 AM »
i can tell you a lot of reasons: your normal kind of fear, the fear of the ego which Shanti mentioned, suffering, overloading symptoms, not knowing what's going on, rush of emotions, higher states for a short while than lower states for a long while, not getting what was expected, little patience.....

it's a long list as you see, i'm sorry about what happened to these guys but this stuff just happens and it doesn't have to let others on the path down.

the way i see it, in a spiritual life one needs good "guidance" and a hell lot of "bhakti" and "patience" to pull through and in the end there's no doubt about it he'll get more rewards than what he bargened for.

Ananda

mikkiji

• http://mikkiji.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 07:13:27 AM »
People quit the spiritual path for a common sequence of reasons, but if you don't trigger this sequence, then disillusionment need not always happen, or to ultimately lead to abandonment of the path.  When one has accepted spiritual teachings very uncritically or has abandoned intellectual evaluation of spiritual teachings, then the cornerstone of later disillusionment is set.  Knowledge is gained through many different mechanisms--intellectual study, direct experience, cognition, revelation, implantation, etc.  When we take all of our spiritual knowledge from only one channel, we put all of our eggs in one basket, so to speak.  No matter how "into" the path we may be for a time, it is a house of cards and something will eventually make it fall, leaving us on a path that may appear either stupid, or even dangerous.  So we run away and bad-mouth it.  I was on such a potential path many decades ago as a youth--ran away and joined what many now say was a cult--the TM Movement of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.  I "joined" as a full-time devotee of the guru, living in an ashram and studying and working for him 24/7 for two years, 1974-76.  But, I kept my intellectual doubt engaged, and that enabled me to still tell truth from bullsh*t, or at least take the diamonds which Maharishi dished out and toss away the dung that surrounded much of the rest of his organization.  The knowledge was always valuable, but he was not a flawless or perfect man and he ended up surrounded by a bunch of sycophants and fools, so that MUCH of the stuff that came down was NOT truth, or even sensible, but only one side (and often a badly misinterpreted version) of things they thought the Master meant.  When you follow blindly, you will eventually hit some wall, and end up with a bloody nose.

As with any spiritual practice, I advise moderation, careful scrutiny, and validation of whatever anybody tells you by a trusted person or by your own personal experiences.  I've been "following" my spiritual path for 40 years now--sometimes I need to take a turn one way or the other because things change--I changed, my family and career changed, my life changes all the time.  Our paths must adapt to change, otherwise we risk loosing the path entirely.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:16:49 AM by mikkiji »

Shredder

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 01:42:10 PM »
I was on a certain path some years ago and quit because of a relationship. I recently felt the need to get back into it and found I no longer felt comfortable with that path, Internet info was a big factor, I kept reading and researching but did not jump in. Then somehow I stumbled in here, and everything felt "right". I think there is a lot of chaff with the wheat, and like an old friend of mine said, "keep an open mind, but don't let your brains fall out".....Shredder

anthony574

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »
A very interesting topic. I hope the discussion continues :-)

I was just proposing the question earlier to a fellow AYPer I know in person, "What if you just stopped?". No sadhana, no books, no forums, no nothing spiritual!

karl

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 08:59:13 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by anthony574

A very interesting topic. I hope the discussion continues :-)

I was just proposing the question earlier to a fellow AYPer I know in person, "What if you just stopped?". No sadhana, no books, no forums, no nothing spiritual!

[:D]It's a good point. There again, at one time we were all stopped as we had not tried to find anything. It's a bit like "why do anything?". I think there is an inbuilt drive to discover and learn and just because what we do now seems important does not mean that it will always be so.

What are we if we do nothing at all? Well then do we accept life as it is ? Thats difficult when everything is in a state of constant change, even a mountain is weathering away from a physical point of view (and is in constant motion on a quantum level).

Goddessinside

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 11:33:27 PM »
Stooooop thinking!!!!!
Anyone who has doubts about (his) spirituality, let him quit for a while. One day, one week...and let him watch what happens.
Just listen to your heart..
When someone eats everyday the same dish, it might be
the best nutritious dish ever, if this person is not NEW everyday, better eat McDonald's garbage!
(Sorry! Goddess ate a lion today! She cannot wrap her words in cotton anymore[8D])

karl

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 05:09:15 AM »
I think your right about thinking too much.

My take on it is to consider that if I had half an hour to spare during the morning and evenings then that time would be wasted on watching the news or something equally wasteful. So, half an hour spent on some quiet time coupled with some diaphragm practise to get some fresh air into my lungs is hardly a chore and it does seem to be doing something useful(even if that was to just a sequence of weird experiences and sensations) so I keep at it.

Spritual enlightenment? Chakras? Nirvana? Well if it happens, it happens and while I do the practise I carry on having an open mind, studying and learning, while keeping some degree of skepticism about all subjects.

Goddessinside

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 07:10:38 AM »
I know nothing, I read the minimum...but there is a voice inside...
this voice talks to us, each moment, but we rarely listen...
rather we listen to others, we are OUTSIDE...
it's good to read, to understand, to communicate, to share...
but comes a moment the INSIDE calls for us, and this INSIDE is our truth, it's Existence itself calling for us.
So "I believe", "I don't believe", "I think", "I don't think", "I've heard" "they said" etc... are all excuses for us to occupy ourselves,  WHY? maybe to avoid BEING with our SELF. And I am the first victim of those traps! The thing is I try to watch as much as possible my thoughts/emotions/body.
If I want to go to the extreme: all that I wrote above, throw it to the trash, cause if I were truely meditative, in THIS moment, I wouldn't have even written a word!
But let's me just say: go inside.....all the questions and answers will simply drop.[:o)]