Author Topic: Karma yoga  (Read 1162 times)

Chiron

Karma yoga
« on: October 05, 2006, 08:34:09 PM »
The contacts of the senses with the sense objects give rise to the feelings of heat and cold, and pain and pleasure. They are transitory and impermanent. Therefore, endure them, O Arjuna. (2.14) The Bhagavad Gita

I am learning to endure heat and cold by trying to take a cold shower after my hot showers everyday.  Also I go to the public spa and try to extent my sitting duration there, followed by a cold shower.  Some meditation in cold conditions is in the plans.

For pain.. I am currently trying to extend my sitting time in padmasana which is up to 40 minutes now.  It washes away the karma of pain quite nicely. As for pleasure.. that karma seems to go much easier which indicates that my practice has some way to go..

I have not gone past lesson 90 in my AYP so none of the above is part of the practice yet as I understand, but does anybody do anything similar?

As the blazing fire reduces wood to ashes, similarly, the fire of Self-knowledge reduces all Karma to ashes, O Arjuna. (4.37)

Kyman

Karma yoga
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 01:48:36 PM »
Hahaha, you got me beat with the cold shower chiron.

Fasting though can be uncomfortable initially.  Have you tried that?  It is a way to go beyond the body's natural habits as well as boost spiritual development.

david_obsidian

Karma yoga
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 03:46:10 PM »
I haven't done austerities for their own sake,  but they can make a lot of sense when done in the right spirit,  which is of helping to train the mind away from its attachment-habits.  For them to work properly,  I think the motivation to do them has to come from within.  I think it's important not to take them to extremes and damage the body in the process.

I'm not ruling them out for myself at some point if the time seems right.

Chiron

Karma yoga
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 06:47:01 PM »
I have not been fasting, I don't think my body is ready.  But I have reduced the number of times I eat in a day to 2.  It is sort of like fasting I guess, or prepares me for fasting.  Once I am able to eat only once a day comfortably, then I will try fasting.  I never knew that I was so attached to taste..

An important exercise for me during daily activities has been to remind myself that I work for God and nothing else.  It seems to be a very good cure for laziness.

Dedicating all works to Me in a spiritual frame of mind, free from desire, attachment, and mental grief, do your duty. (3.30)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 08:58:46 PM by Chiron »

Maximus

Karma yoga
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 08:03:22 PM »
Eating once or 2 times a day can be disastrous to body metabolism by slowing it. It will cause muscle loss and obesity. It is best to eat small portions as many as 6 times a day.

david_obsidian

Karma yoga
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 01:08:26 AM »
It's possible that eating only twice a day is inappropriate in some cases.  But it never caused me any problem,  for years.  And there are entire traditions in Buddhism where the monks eat nothing in the afternoon.  The ones I saw seemed in good shape.

Chiron

Karma yoga
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 03:25:46 PM »
I am influenced by a Buddhist teaching also.  Our body is an organism which can develop and adjust..  Ofcourse if you start eating once a day after you were eating 5 times a day the change can create a disaster inside your body.  But if the change is gradual, the organism can adjust.

This concept for me is not about the health of the body really (although I believe eating little has long-term health benefits once the body adjusts). It is about my soul's attachment to the sense organs of taste.  The senses are a temporary phenomenon for my being, thus if I attach myself to them I am destined to go through shock and suffering.  I'd rather attach myself to the one thing (that is not a thing) that is permanent..

It is also about what I think about during the day (is that jnana yoga?).  I don't want to think about food, I want to think about God.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 05:52:10 PM by Chiron »

Balance

• http://noplanezen.blogspot.com/
Karma yoga
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 04:24:37 PM »
Some think jnana yoga is thinking.

Jnana yoga is to transcend thought and mind.

Jnana yoga is knowing not knowing.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 06:18:47 PM by Balance »

Maximus

Karma yoga
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 05:30:37 PM »
Chiron, always remember not to confuse aversion with non-attachment.
Food is meant for surviving the body. You can still eat 3 times a day like most people do, without getting attached to taste. Eating only once a day still does not mean you are not attached to taste. If the only purpose of your eating less number of times is for testing your non attachment, why dont you prepare food with bad taste and eat it 3 times a day. I won't recommend it but that way atleast you can stay fit while still performing your experiments.

Balance

Karma yoga
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 06:17:23 PM »
Enjoy the food. Enjoy the taste. Just don't miss it or long for it when it's not there even if the body does so. Enjoy the bland food. Enjoy being hungry. Don't pine for the body if starvation occurs even when the body wants to pine. Enjoy withdrawing. Enjoy all these experiences whether the body enjoys them or doesn't enjoy them.

Chiron

Karma yoga
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 02:32:11 PM »
Easier said than done!

Balance

Karma yoga
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 03:23:39 PM »

I know[V]But it's good practice![^]

Scott

• http://www.theonebreath.com
Karma yoga