Author Topic: beginning pranayama question  (Read 1710 times)

Sol Invictus

beginning pranayama question
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 08:25:32 AM »
Hi Amuhani,

i didn't make it up.As mentioned,first claim is coming from very experienced Yogacharya and there is no reason for me not to trust him.You can read detailed explanation on subject in "Who is that Shamachurun?" or "Purana Purusha" if you like.Also,key word hear is "can",opposed to "it will" which wasn't used.Ecdyonurus has also described issues with overdoing different types of pranayama,including Nadhi Sodhana.I think he would get same issues if overdoing only Nadhi Sodhana.Both claims were written in light of Ecdyonurus input in regard issues he had by overdoing it.My bad if i didn't make it clear,sorry about that.
Another claim about SRF,i heard it and read it from few different sources.They described how such pranayama in large amount caused nervousness and dizziness.They were those who practiced it.If they were lying then i am lying too.
I agree that experiential knowledge is no. 1,but we can't have it in each and every field,thus sometimes taking experiences from others in order to form opinion seems legit to me.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:35:42 AM by Sol Invictus »

makak

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 05:22:02 PM »
Big THANKS to all of you, who spent a time with a reply.
From the responses it seems to me, that the type of pranayma to begin is not so important. The important thing seems to be to take it really slowly, I mean short sessions, and watchfully observe how it goes and adjust time and technique by self-observation. Did I get it?

Ecdyonurus

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 06:46:10 PM »
Hi Makak,

I don't agree that the type of pranayama to begin with is not so important. IMO you should begin with the pranayama which is recommended by the yoga system/school/tradition /teacher you are following.

But I agree that it is wise to start slowly, even more if you plan to practice without the personal guidance of a teacher.

BlueRaincoat

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »
Also some pranayamas are more advanced than others. You need a progression from basic to advanced.
Considering how powerful effects pranayama can have, it is prudent to take competent advice rather than jump into any technique you happen to come across.

makak

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 01:33:28 AM »
Of course, sorry, I didn't write it, but I also meant that progress should be from simplest techniques to more advanced. Although, as Ecdyonurus mentioned, there are various schools/systems/and so, so I will probably have to choose. But it still could be a hard choice, because for instance some schools takes nadi sodhana as one of basics pranayamas and Sol Invictus actually warned me, that this could not be very suitable for beginners...

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 02:00:55 AM »
Hi Makak,

There are different ways of practising nadi shodhana so whether it is suitable for beginners or not really depends on how it is practised. In it's most basic form which is often called sukha pranayama, it is perfectly safe for beginners.

There are additions to the practice that are often taught, including the addition of breath retention and the slowing down of the breath which makes it a more advanced practice, suitable only for people with more experience.

But in general I would agree with others here, that it is best to stick with a particular teaching method. In AYP (which is advanced level yoga) people begin with Spinal Breathing Pranayama. Later on other forms of advanced pranayama can be added including Yoni Mudra Khumbaka and Spinal Bastrika. But these more advanced techniques are added in a specific way and at a specific time in the development of the sadhana and clear instructions are given for that in the main lessons.

Pranayama is a science and can only really be taught by someone who has practised pranayama for many years and has been through an awakening and has purified their subtle body. Then they know what works and what does not through their own experience.

Christi  

Sol Invictus

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 08:33:37 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by makak..it seems to me, that the type of pranayma to begin is not so important.

Hi Makak!
I agree with Ecdyonurus.There are differences in various types of Pranayama.Sushumna oriented Pranayama ie. Kriya pranayama/Spinal Breathing is superior type of pranayama as it promotes flow of Prana thru Sushumna nadi.That of course happens gradually,thru ardent practis of such pranayama.

quote:
Originally posted by makak

...and Sol Invictus actually warned me, that this could not be very suitable for beginners...

If you read carefully,you'll see that i didn't said .."that this could not be very suitable for beginners..."
Shared with you what i have learned from Yogacharya Chatterjee,that alternate nostril breathing can have adverse effects on health,no matter how advanced you are.

On this site,you have instructions how to execute Spinal breathing pranayama so why wouldn't you try it?
Good luck,all the best![:)]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:38:56 AM by Sol Invictus »

makak

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »
Hi Sol,
sorry for misquoting you, I just related it to my situation and remembered that it is not suitable for me as a beginner.
And about SBP I am still somehow cautious, because it seems to me quite advanced practice and I really don't wish to get into any trouble, since I don't have an access to guru/instructor or someone who will guide me with this. But probably I will give it a try, but I will take it very slooowly...

Ecdyonurus

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 05:19:41 PM »
Hi makak, I still do not understand which yoga system you are following.

If I understood you well, you have a relevant asana practice following the Iyengar book (which book, actually?). Then you added a form of breath meditation, which is clearly not in the Iyengar approach and may already overlap in a negatve way with your asana practice. Now, if you even add a pranayama practice from another tradition, things could become difficult.

IMO, again, you have to be very careful when you try to mix such different approaches. Even more if sou don't have any teacher guidance.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:36:03 PM by Ecdyonurus »

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
quote:

Hi Sol,
sorry for misquoting you, I just related it to my situation and remembered that it is not suitable for me as a beginner.
And about SBP I am still somehow cautious, because it seems to me quite advanced practice and I really don't wish to get into any trouble, since I don't have an access to guru/instructor or someone who will guide me with this. But probably I will give it a try, but I will take it very slooowly...

Hi Makak,

Spinal Breathing Pranayama is an advanced practice, but it is also a very safe and stable practice. That is why it is introduced early on in the AYP lessons. It works by purifying a very stable nadi in the subtle body which is the shushumna nadi between the root and the third eye.

So no need to be worried about it. You can add it after asana practice and before meditation, beginning with 5 minutes twice a day and building up to 10 minutes twice a day.

Christi

BlueRaincoat

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 08:57:51 PM »
quote:
about SBP I am still somehow cautious, because it seems to me quite advanced practice and I really don't wish to get into any trouble, since I don't have an access to guru/instructor or someone who will guide me with this.

The lessons on this website are written for those who practice at home.
If you read the instructions carefully (read them a few times as you ease your way into the technique), you will know what to do. Be easy about it, don't force anything and don't rush. Any questions you may have, you can ask on this forum.

Or you can wait to find a teacher, but finding a good one might take some time. It's in your hands.

All the best
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:15:36 PM by BlueRaincoat »

Sol Invictus

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 08:16:37 AM »
I second what Ecdyonurus and Christi said.

If there is no particular structure in your practice you should have one.Probably good idea would be to follow a system such as AYP or Kriya yoga sadhana.AYP is right here in the reach of mouse pointer,so you could try it and see for your self does it suit you.Obviously,AYPers of this forum are ready to jump in and help you.

Kriya yoga is bit different as it requires to go for initiation.Meaning you would likely need to travel somewhere in order to learn Kriya from qualified Acharya,and later on cope with scares amount of support which is quite typical for today's Kriya organizations.Also Kriya requires some serious commitment as sittings can get really long,that is 4-5+ hours per day within first year of practice,in case you are really serious about it.

Kriya Pranayama/Spinal Breathing Pranayama is really stable and safe thing to do.At least in my experience,which includes practice of other Kriyas combined with Kriya pranayama.Probably you would be on safe side as long as you follow instructions found in AYP lessons.
And i am quite sure that those 5 minutes of SPB as Christi suggested wouldn't do any harm whatsoever.
Just take it easy,have a routine,relax and enjoy:)
Spiritual journey towards Eternal Tranquility is best and most important journey one can embark on.
Best!

makak

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 05:12:52 PM »
Thanks all of you for encouragement and useful tips. I guess I will give it try and take it really slooowly. And in case I'll get into trouble I will give you a cry for help. Thank you very much, I really appreciate your words.