Author Topic: Swami Lakshmanjoo  (Read 10655 times)

ramponnet

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2010, 07:25:38 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Firstly Thanks for these posts - I am a budding KS aspirant and this post was a great treasure trove. I am currently reading couple of books by Swamiji (Secret supreme and Siva Sutras) and have few newbie questions. Kindly pardon my ignorance and point to me if these are answered elsewhere.

1. On 36 Tattvas: I understand that Paramasiva principle permeates across the entire field of the 36 Tattvas. Within that, is there a notion of common principles across the entire manifestation vs tattvas that are exclusive to each anu/individual. If so what are personal and what are common. I suppose it has to be below the corporeal Maya principles. However, it is explained from an individual perspective (e.g. Vidya = Limited knowledge) which is a little confusing. Also, if that (i.e. shared tattvas below a level) is the case, how about the pancha bhutas? Don't they provide the common construct for all individuals. Again, if they are different, does it mean that the manifestation is unique to each observer/Anu?

2. On 12 Kalis: Swamiji mentions about the 12 Kalis of Krama and talks briefly about how each moment goes from individual subject out to the object and absorbed / internalized into supreme subject. Could you kindly point me to any resources/articles that expounds on this?

3. A personal question: I live in the US bay area and are you aware of any local study or meditation groups focusing on KS and Tantraloka meditations? Any help on this or finding a group / teacher is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks and Pranams,
Ram
---
"The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - HH guide to galaxy

Kirtanman

• http://livingunbound.net
Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2010, 12:59:06 PM »
Hi Ramponnet,

Welcome to the AYP Forum.

[:)]

quote:
Originally posted by ramponnet

1. On 36 Tattvas: I understand that Paramasiva principle permeates across the entire field of the 36 Tattvas. Within that, is there a notion of common principles across the entire manifestation vs tattvas that are exclusive to each anu/individual. If so what are personal and what are common. I suppose it has to be below the corporeal Maya principles. However, it is explained from an individual perspective (e.g. Vidya = Limited knowledge) which is a little confusing. Also, if that (i.e. shared tattvas below a level) is the case, how about the pancha bhutas? Don't they provide the common construct for all individuals. Again, if they are different, does it mean that the manifestation is unique to each observer/Anu?

Yes. Unlike certain other Indian philosophical systems, Kashmir Shaivism teaches that everything below Maya (Illusion/measurement) is individually perceived, including Purusha (Self) & Prakriti (Nature).

The same veils of Maya affect every apparent individual, but the veils affect each one with different specifics. And so, a given Maya-veiled pseudo-self perceives the wholeness of the element/tattva of Earth/Prithivi very differently than another pseudo-self.

Above Maya, there is only wholeness, from various perspectives (unbound, infinite subjectivity; unbound, infinite objectivity; unbound, infinite blended {subjectivity-objectivity}).

Basically, the flowing of the tattvas moves from limitless subjectivity (paramasiva) out to completed objectvity (Earth), and back again.

As I've said elsewhere: enlightenment isn't so much "attained" as it is relaxed back into; when all untrue ideas are dropped (including via the long-term body-mind purification that is brought about by practices; a necessity that Kashmir Shaivism emphatically supports), enlightenment/living unbound as the true nature of liberated awareness (caitanyamatma - Self is Liberated Awareness, as Shiva Sutras 1.1 states) is naturally revealed.

quote:

2. On 12 Kalis: Swamiji mentions about the 12 Kalis of Krama and talks briefly about how each moment goes from individual subject out to the object and absorbed / internalized into supreme subject. Could you kindly point me to any resources/articles that expounds on this?

Sure. Here's a good one (the formatting on that site is kind of "busy", but the info is really good).

http://www.bhagavadgitausa.com/KALI.htm

Basically, the twelve Kalis are positioned as a 4x3 matrix:

Creation
Preservation
Dissolution
Awareness
(4)

By

Object of Perception
Perception
Subjective Perceiver
(3)

... Which gives us the Twelve Kalis.

And so, this is just another description/view of the flowing from unbound subjectivity (Siva) to completed objectivity (Earth), and back again, using slightly different symbolism.

quote:

3. A personal question: I live in the US bay area and are you aware of any local study or meditation groups focusing on KS and Tantraloka meditations? Any help on this or finding a group / teacher is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks and Pranams,
Ram

Thanks and Pranams for your comments, Ram.

You might check with USF (http://u-s-f-.org ) ... they'd be in a better position to know about any KS groups or teachers that are based in the Bay Area (since AYP isn't formally KS focused).

Tantraloka doesn't have a lot in the way of meditative techniques; if anything can really be called that in KS, it would be more the techniques outlined in the Vijnanabhairava Tantra, and Yoga Spandakarika.

If I recall, Swami Lakshmanjoo also offers a technique or two in Secret Supreme (my main technique-focus has always been AYP; I've just augmented slightly with certain awareness-based techniques outlined in certain KS texts).

The Tantraloka (specifically the 29th chapter, which is the only one translated into English as far as I know) is about the sexual ritual and its deep and esoteric symbolism; it's about initiatory/celebratory ritual rather than meditation techniques.

I hope this is useful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

---
quote:

"The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - HH guide to galaxy

"Always remember to bring a towel."

[:D]

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:14:57 PM by Kirtanman »

emc

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2010, 04:35:21 PM »
quote:
"The story so far:

[:D][:D][:D] Haven't read a single word in the whole topic. Just came in to zoom this! LOL!!! Thanks, K!

Maheshvaranath

• http://u-s-f.org
Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2010, 08:08:47 PM »
Hi Kirtanman, Christi, Ram,

quote:

In Kashmir Shaiva philosophy it is stated that when the spiritual aspirant achieves the state of universal consciousness (Parabhairava), all Shiva’s energies in the form of Shaktis and Rudras, introduce themselves and treat that fortunate being as a member of their own universal family.

Swami Lakshmanjoo explained that the provision for remaining in that universal family is that one should never reveal outwardly the hidden treasure of their inner life. For this reason Abhinavagupta and past masters did not reveal the essential secrets of the twelve Kalis, but left those secret aspects to be handed down by word of mouth, from the elevated master to the worthy disciple.

After years of ignored requests from learned pundits in the valley of Kashmir, Lakshmanjoo agreed to shed a small ray of light on the mysterious subject of the twelve Kalis. As the last in an unbroken chain of the oral tradition of Kashmir Shaivism, he feared that in years to come the understanding of the nature of the twelve Kalis may disappear altogether. After his winter seclusion (1958-59) the Swami compiled a small booklet entitled, “Kramanaya Pradipika" (Sanskrit and Hindi). Based on the twelve verses of the Kramastotra of Shivanandanatha, this booklet shed light on the essential meaning of the twelve aspects of Kali.

In Kashmir Shaivism, Kali in Her highest embodiment is known as Kalasankarshini. Like a divine actress in her own universal play, She assumes the roles of Sristi Kali, Rakta Kali, Sthitinasha Kali, Yama Kali, Samhara Kali, Mrityu Kali, Rudra Kali, Martanda Kali, Paramarka Kali, Kalagnirudra Kali, Mahakala Kali and Maha-bhairava-ghora-canda Kali. Through these twelve manifestations She creates, maintains and destroys this whole universe from within Her own nature.

In Sristi Kali She is ever present as the first impulse of any perception. In Rakta Kali She is direct perception. In Sthitinasha Kali She is the appeased state where the curiosity of perception has ended. In Yama Kali She winds up the state of thinking and perceiving and again resides in her own nature. These four states of Kali operate in the objective world.

In Samhara Kali the impressions of the objective world appear as faint clouds in a clear blue sky. Here one feels, “I have destroyed duality.” In the state of Mrityu Kali these clouds disappear and one begins to feels oneness. In Rudra Kali She destroys all remaining doubts and suspicions that hold one back on the path to God consciousness. And in Martanda Kali She absorbs the energies of cognition into Herself. These four states of Kali operate in the cognitive world.

In Paramarka Kali She is that state in which the limited ego, which holds the twelve organs of cognition, is dissolved. For the state of Kalagnirudra Kali Swamiji added this verse.

“Glory be to Thee, O Ambika, Mother of the Universe! By the power of Your unimpeded will and time in the shape of Bhairava, Thou createst the entire universe from the highest Shiva to the lowest insect.”

Here in the state of Kalagnirudra Kali the function of time still exists. However, when She enters the state of Mahakala Kali, like a morsel of food, in one gulp She digests time, along with the totality of the universe. It is here that Kali dances in the universal cremation ground.

In her twelfth and final state She is known as Maha-bhairava-ghora-canda Kali. Here the effulgent light of supreme consciousness, responsible for manifesting the subjective, objective and cognitive worlds is held in a state of oneness. These final four states of Kali operate in the field of pure subjectivity.

In Kashmir Shaivism, Kalasankarshini Kali is also nominate as Parabhairava. Here She is the thread of ’supreme awareness’ that runs through the twelve beads of perception, or states of consciousness which span from the grossest to the subtlest level of creation.

In a verse from the Kramakeli, penned down by the great 10th century Shaiva saint Abhinavagupta, Swami Lakshmanjoo explains, “It is Kalasankarshini Kali in the form of Mahakali who dances on the body of Lord Shiva.”

Why is She dancing on Shiva?

Swami Lakshmanjoo tells us that “this formation of Shiva is known as ‘Mahakala’ the lord of time and death. By simply knitting her eyebrows, His better half, ‘Mahakali’ has shattered the universe into pieces and digested all time and space in her own nature. Here there is no past, present or future, nothing is born and nothing dies, therefore Shiva as Lord of time and death, being absolutely appeased, surrenders totally and enjoys the blissful touch of Mahakali’s lotus feet.

It is to this Universal Mother that one must surrender everything, as She is the real Mother protecting everybody. You should take refuge in Her at any cost and everything will be fine.”

Swami Lakshmanjoo adds that, “by the grace of God, by the grace of the Master, or by the grace of the sacred scriptures, the aspirant who has understood the ‘trick of awareness’ becomes liberated in no time.” The recipient of such grace soon realizes the Divine Mother is not far away in some seventh heaven, but is in fact the very essence of one’s own Being. For this aspirant there is nowhere to go to realize the Divine, as She is closer to oneself than one’s own breath.

In a beautiful verse from the Shiva Dristhi, Swami Lakshmanjoo sums up the divine play of Shiva and Shakti:

“One bows to universal Shiva who is one’s own nature, through the avenue of Shakti (his energy), for the removal of obstacles, which in reality are none other than Shiva.”

It is through Shakti that Shiva is realized, and for one whose awareness has expanded to embrace the true nature of the play of the Universal Mother, the daily routine of everyday life becomes the real means of worship.

I pray this has been helpful.

Maheshvaranath
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:38:04 PM by Maheshvaranath »

Maheshvaranath

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2010, 08:57:39 PM »
Hi Kirtanman,

In your response to Ram:

quote:
As I've said elsewhere: enlightenment isn't so much "attained" as it is relaxed back into; when all untrue ideas are dropped (including via the long-term body-mind purification that is brought about by practices; a necessity that Kashmir Shaivism emphatically supports), enlightenment/living unbound as the true nature of liberated awareness (caitanyamatma - Self is Liberated Awareness, as Shiva Sutras 1.1 states) is naturally revealed.

In a nutshell, Kashmir Shaivism is essentially about Being as opposed to Becoming.

quote:
If I recall, Swami Lakshmanjoo also offers a technique or two in Secret Supreme (my main technique-focus has always been AYP; I've just augmented slightly with certain awareness-based techniques outlined in certain KS texts).

The Tantraloka (specifically the 29th chapter, which is the only one translated into English as far as I know)...

The book in which Swami Lakshmanjoo gives the specifics of practice and experiences in Shaiva meditation is called "Self Realization in Kashmir Shaivism - the Oral Teachings of Swami Lakshmanjoo, by John Hughes.

As for English translations of Tantraloka, the book you are reading (Kashmir Shaivism, The Secret Supreme) covers the essence of the first 14 chapters of Abhinavagupta's Tantraloka. This book is indeed dense, each sentence pregnant with Abhinavagupta's teachings. There are also two very interesting chapters (17 and 18) on Kundalini, the contents of which you will not find outside of the tradition of Kashmir Shaivism.

You can read a preview of the chapters of Secret Supreme (including chapter 17) on this link:
http://universalshaivafellowship.org/usf/teachings_01.html

Maheshvaranath  

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:41:02 PM by Maheshvaranath »

Kirtanman

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 01:45:30 PM »

Hi Mahesvaranath,

quote:
Originally posted by Maheshvaranath

Hi Kirtanman,

In your response to Ram:

quote:

In a nutshell, Kashmir Shaivism is essentially about Being as opposed to Becoming.

Ultimately, that's true. Sense of subjective self expands as incorrect knowledge is dropped, so no actual journey has been taken (per Abhinavagupta quote, below).

Regarding the necessity of practices as emphasized in Kashmir Shaivism, I was referring to some quotes in Dyczkowski's Stanzas On Vibration from some of the original gurus/teachers of Kashmir Shaivism {i.e. Abhinavagupta}, as well as from some of the agamas themselves.

However, as Abhinavagupta is quoted as saying in Dyczkowski's Doctrine of Vibration:

"Nothing new is achieved, nor is that which in reality is unmanifest, revealed -- only the idea is eradicated that the luminous being shines not."

~Abhinavagupta

quote:

quote:

The Tantraloka (specifically the 29th chapter, which is the only one translated into English as far as I know)...

The book in which Swami Lakshmanjoo gives the specifics of practice and experiences in Shaiva meditation is called "Self Realization in Kashmir Shaivism - the Oral Teachings of Swami Lakshmanjoo, by John Hughes.

As for English translations of Tantraloka, the book you are reading (Kashmir Shaivism, The Secret Supreme) covers the essence of the first 14 chapters of Abhinavagupta's Tantraloka. This book is indeed dense, each sentence pregnant with Abhinavagupta's teachings. There are also two very interesting chapters (17 and 18) on Kundalini, the contents of which you will not find outside of the tradition of Kashmir Shaivism.

You can read a preview of the chapters of Secret Supreme (including chapter 17) on this link:
http://universalshaivafellowship.org/usf/teachings_01.html

Maheshvaranath  

Cool; thanks for this. I've wasn't thinking of the tie-in w/Tantraloka and Secret Supreme when I wrote what I wrote above .... and so, thank you for that ... true, and very good points!

I was referring to the book Abhinavagupta: The Kula Ritual by John Dupuche, which, as far as I know, is the only actual translation of any part of the Tantraloka, in English.

However (and I think this is what you're saying); Swami Lakshmanjoo's exposition of certain Tantraloka teachings in the Secret Supreme (with cited sutras, as you mentioned) serves as a far more powerful teaching than Dupuche's translation (Swami Laskhmanjoo was a realized master, and direct lineage descendant of Abhinavagupta, and a master in Sanskrit from both linguistic and yogic standpoints; John Dupuche is an open-minded Catholic priest with a Ph.D. in Sanskrit ... and so, while Fr. Dupuche's work is both appreciated and respectable, it is not exactly equivalent to Swami Lakshmanjoo's).

I may have misunderstood Ram's question a bit; the reason I responded to him as I did, was to point out that it might not be too easy to find a Tantraloka-meditation based study group.

And, as mentioned, I wasn't thinking of Secret Supreme when I wrote what I did ... and so ... thanks very much for that clarification.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

ramponnet

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »
Dear Kirtanman, Thanks for the clearing my doubts and questions on 36 tattvas etc.

Mahesvaranath, Thank you for your dazzling commentary on the 12 Kalis - I can only appreciate how exalted and profound the thinking of ancient masters had been.

---

I still have one doubt on 36 Tattvas re. following point

quote:
And so, a given Maya-veiled pseudo-self perceives the wholeness of the element/tattva of Earth/Prithivi very differently than another pseudo-self.

If indeed the bhutas (aka the material world that we experience minus the other tattvas upto Maya) are "perceived" differently by different pseudo-selves, aren't we saying that the material world is unique to each limited-perceiver (i.e. perceiver under the spell of maya)? If so, what is the source of the seeming commonality and concomitant experience. (dummy example: i experience a rose or a jar more-or-less  in similar way as the person next to me). How does KS explain the objective commonality of phenomenally individuated subject?

I roughly remember the propositions from buddhist vijnanavadins of how even material objects are just part of a large stream of consciousness (of course they claim this without any subject) - is KS explanation similar to this plus the supreme subject?

Please feel free to instruct me to "go read the basics" if im just confused - definitely respect your time.

Thanks and Pranams,
Ram
---
Yes, I'm definitely holding onto my towel [:)]

Kirtanman

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
Hi Ram,

No worries; happy to answer questions, and I enjoy discussing this. It seems Maheshvaranath does do, and I certainly invite him to add to anything I say here, as well.

quote:
Originally posted by ramponnet

---

I still have one doubt on 36 Tattvas re. following point

quote:
And so, a given Maya-veiled pseudo-self perceives the wholeness of the element/tattva of Earth/Prithivi very differently than another pseudo-self.

If indeed the bhutas (aka the material world that we experience minus the other tattvas upto Maya) are "perceived" differently by different pseudo-selves, aren't we saying that the material world is unique to each limited-perceiver (i.e. perceiver under the spell of maya)? If so, what is the source of the seeming commonality and concomitant experience. (dummy example: i experience a rose or a jar more-or-less  in similar way as the person next to me). How does KS explain the objective commonality of phenomenally individuated subject?

I roughly remember the propositions from buddhist vijnanavadins of how even material objects are just part of a large stream of consciousness (of course they claim this without any subject) - is KS explanation similar to this plus the supreme subject?

Please feel free to instruct me to "go read the basics" if im just confused - definitely respect your time.

Thanks and Pranams,
Ram
---
Yes, I'm definitely holding onto my towel [:)]

Regarding what I wrote about Prthivi, please simply consider what I wrote about Maya and the Kancukas (the specific coverings of limitation).

Unbound Awareness, the supreme subject, Shiva, plays the game of self-limitation via the veils - Unbound Awareness becomes, it thinks, an Anu; an individual, thus creating the primary illusion, Anavamala; the illusion of partiality.

From this fundamental illusion, which arises in 1:1 correspondence to the learning of language by a given body-mind, everything below Maya, Purusha, Prakriti and outward ... Buddhih (Intellect), Ahamkara (ego; "I-maker"), Manas (thinking), and so on ... is colored with a specificity of perception based on the specific kancukas conditioned into that body-mind.

For instance, it's said that Native Alaskans (aka Eskimos) have at least several dozen words for snow. And so, let's say a traveler from Africa, who has never seen snow, visits Alaska; his experience and perception of snow will be different than the experience and perception of snow on the part of an Eskimo body-mind who has dealt with snow, and its many nuances, for his or her entire life.

And so, while both parties agree there's snow there (the commonality that you speak of), the specific experience of snow will be quite different.

Even your example of a rose is pertinent; five people sitting around a rose and looking at it, may generally see something that they agree should be called "rose", but that's just the lowest common denominator; dream-agreement by committee, if you will.

The exact, individual nuances of perception, based on everything from color clarity in one body-mind's vision, to sentimentality associated with roses in another, to disinterest in roses on the part of another ... causes the unique nuances of illusion to be quite different).

However, that's not really the main point of the teaching. The main point of the teaching is: the specificity of the kancukas is illusory; it is distortion.

Our experience of a rose in the wholeness of thoughtless awareness is far different that our experience of a rose when it is filter throught the lenses of the five senses, thinking, ego and intellect (Puryastaka; the "city of eight" which transmigrates from life to life; the very faux-self that is dissolved in liberation).

As Kashmir Shaivism teaches simply yet elegantly: caitanyamatma ... experiencing self as liberated awareness, is our original, non-distorted essence .... always here, just not consciously experienced by all of us.

A great quote I read recently on enlightenment, spoken by an enlightened teacher (Jed McKenna), to someone who had not yet opened into enlightenment:

"I don't have anything you don't have; you just believe something that I don't."

That's the essence of Kashmir Shaivism, and every other non-dual, practices-centric system: to shed distorting beliefs by the most efficacious means possible, and so, to, as Abhinavagupta so eloquently said, release the idea that "the luminous one shines not."

In releasing the distortions of conditioning, we return to our original awareness, where we can consciously live in-as the utter freedom of Shivo'ham (I Am Shiva).

Shiva is the "beneficient One" ... the "One Who Blesses" (that's what the name Shiva means). Original Awareness blesses; as Yogani has said, the natural state is one of outpouring divine love; all form is body/receptacle; when we let go of the false idea that we are only form (be it thought, emotion, body, etc.), we relax into the fullness of our original wholeness, and are thus, liberated while living, as Kashmir Shaivism says.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:10:14 AM by Kirtanman »

Maheshvaranath

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 03:39:44 PM »
Hi Ram, Kirtanman...

Don't have anything to add to what has been said by Kirtanman.

The main thing to understand while on the path of Kashmir Shaivism is  that there is always more to understand. By virtue of 'Shiva's grace' a subtle shift continually draws Shiva (as the limited jiva), along the pathway of Shakti, and eventually back into his original state of Shiva, where he always was.

Understanding and practice go hand in hand, the subtle truth being:
"the awareness one uses to look for awareness, is the awareness one is looking for."

As work gives me little time for play, you will have to excuse my infrequent postings.

May the grace of Lord Shiva shine upon you.

Maheshvaranath

princefari

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2010, 10:48:26 AM »
Hi Maheshvaranath

im doing a research using the Vijnanabhairava as my starting point.i wanted to ask u if "Vijnana Bhairava by Betina Baumer, February 6, 2008
By Maheshvaranath "(amazon) review was written by yourself,if so,just wanted to thank you and if you dont mind wish to know how can i get
swamis lakshmanjoo original script?
also,i have the jaideva singh comentary,is it a good one in your eyes?
and how is the  "Swami Saraswati Satyasangananda – Sri Vijnana Bhairava Tantra: The Ascent" 2003 comentary? im about to order a copy of this one and will be happy to hear your opinion on bihars schools comentary on the text
anyways,thanks a lot,hope to hear from u soon
eyal[:)]

Maheshvaranath

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2010, 10:15:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by princefari

Hi Maheshvaranath

im doing a research using the Vijnanabhairava as my starting point.i wanted to ask u if "Vijnana Bhairava by Betina Baumer, February 6, 2008
By Maheshvaranath "(amazon) review was written by yourself,if so,just wanted to thank you and if you dont mind wish to know how can i get
swamis lakshmanjoo original script?

also,i have the jaideva singh comentary,is it a good one in your eyes?
and how is the  "Swami Saraswati Satyasangananda � Sri Vijnana Bhairava Tantra: The Ascent" 2003 comentary? im about to order a copy of this one and will be happy to hear your opinion on bihars schools comentary on the text
anyways,thanks a lot,hope to hear from u soon
eyal[:)]

Hi princefari,

Yes, the review on Betina Baumer's "Vijnana Bhairava - Centering of Awareness" on Amazon was written by myself.

The original transcript and audio of "Vijnana Bhairava - A Manual for Self Realization," is available through Amazon.com, or the Universal Shaiva Fellowship website http://www.universalshaivafellowship.org/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=5

The Jaideva Singh copy of Vijnana Bhairava is good, but also quiet technical. Singh added a lot of end notes for many of the verses which some readers find useful. Singh studied this text with Swami Lakshmanjoo at his ashram in Kashmir. Though he was taught in Hindi, Singh did his final editing and translation into English in Delhi and Varanasi. Naturally, there are a number of discrepancies between Singh's book and Swami Lakshmanjoo's later version in English. Still, since you are studying the text I would suggest that Singh's book would be helpful.

The Bihar School of Yoga teaches traditional yoga from Vedanta, Upanishads, Tantra, Samkhya & other philosophies that contain yoga, but they have no direct link with the tradition of Kashmir Shaivism, which would explain why their translation of Vijnana Bhairava is quite different from both Singh and Swami Lakshmanjoo. From memory there is no mention of the upayas, i.e. the various means that relate to each of the 112 practices, something that could only be adjusted by a master connected with the oral tradition of Kashmir Shaivism.

If you are interested in practice, which is the only way to really embrace the Vijnana Bhairava, then hearing the original audio translation by Swami Lakshmanjoo is a must. Keep in mind that Swami Lakshmanjoo personally taught this text to Lilian Silburn (1950s), Paul Reps (Zen Flesh, Zen Bones - 1957), Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (1968), Jaidev Singh (1979), and John Hughes (1980).

I believe the Lilian Silburn Vijnana Bhairava (in French) is still available in Paris: Lilian Silburn, trans., Le Vijana Bhairava, Publications de I’Institut de Civilisation Indienne, (fasc. 15 [Editions, E. de Boccard, 1961], 3).

Betina Baumer never studied the Vijnana Bhairava with Swami Lakshmanjoo. Her book is based on an unedited, uncorrected, and misappropriated transcript of John Hughes' original audio recordings.

Hope that is helpful.

Maheshvaranath
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 06:57:18 PM by Maheshvaranath »

princefari

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2010, 06:49:48 AM »
hi Maheshvaranath

thank you for your detailed and most helpfull answer.

i will order swamis lakshmanjoos audio and script on the book and study

it in india where im heading for the next 2 monthes:).

as for embracing by practice,im fully agree with you and my research

focus on practice which is why i choose the vijnanabhairava as my

starting point.personaly,my form of practice is within the family of

the Anavopaya,so ive just at the begining of the way:)

anyways,thanks a lot again

Bless

Eyal