Author Topic: Swami Lakshmanjoo  (Read 10653 times)

anaitkes

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« on: September 28, 2009, 01:05:19 PM »
What do you guys think of this man?

His life story in short as gathered from books: born in Kashmir to rich parents, while a young boy saw his brother meditating which sparked something in him. In his early teens he was set to be married but refused and ran away to pursue his spiritual practice. He returned home on the condition that he would be allowed to remain unmarried and devoted to Kashmir Shaivism. He was then taken under the wing of Swami Ram and his disciple Swami Mahatabakak, which whom Lakshmanjoo lived, learned, and trained with for some years it seems. Also traveled to Ramana Maharshi's ashram and spent time with Ramana, apparently the two were close. Also met 'the Mother' of Aurobindo fame. After this Lakshmanjoo quickly became a well-known yogi and scholar on Kashmir Shaivism, publishing numerous books and teaching anyone who visited him, including Paul Reps who wrote a book on Zen with a section devoted to Lakshmanjoo and a Shaivite text. Lakshmanjoo says somewhere "people thought I was crazy, but I made myself."

Picture : http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5427/sdfva.jpg

Kirtanman

• http://livingunbound.net
Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:27:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by anaitkes

What do you guys think of this man?

Swami Lakshmanjoo was truly and authentically one of the great sages -- of all ages, of all traditions.

In recent months, many of you have seen the words "Kashmir Shaivism" in many of my posts.

The primary reason for this can be summed up in two words:

Swami Lakshmanjoo.

He was a living, enlightened master -- as well as a Sanskrit scholar.

He explained/provided the deepest nuances of the most esoteric teachings of what is quite possibly one of the most sophisticated and powerful spiritual systems the world has ever seen (Kashmir Shaivism) ... in a way that anyone can understand.

And his life was clearly his message -- his insight, his wisdom, and his love shine through every word of his ... whether via video, audio, book or web page.

I may add more later ...... but suffice it to say: my feelings/experience with Swami Lakshmanjoo and his teachings are as positive as is possible.

[:)]

Heart Is Where The AUM Is,

Kirtanman

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:43:05 AM by Kirtanman »

sagebrush

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 09:52:10 AM »
Sit motionless. Do not grumble of bad environments. Create your own mental world and environments. Build up your character properly. Establish virtuous healthy habits. Understand the glory, splendor & Power of God, who is at the back of your mind, thoughts, will and memory. Keep your body strong and healthy through regular exercise. Become a spiritual hero. Shut out the doors of the senses. Still the thoughts, emotions and feelings. Sit motionless and calm in the early morning hours. Have a receptive attitude. Go along with God. Enjoy peace in the silence. How I like these golden rules which have come out from some Diving lips.

Yours as ever
Lakshmanjoo

Well, I hope it is ok to just start in conversation. I have yet to learn of this swami nor do I have even a remote understanding of kashmir shaivism....so after a scanning thru internet search..I found the above which I liked.
Thanks for sharing.

I also think that it seems that most sages seemed to have a very early desire to pursue spiritual practice. Maybe this is prevalent among the East Indian culture.
I am not sure what I think about the quote that "people thought I was crazy, but I made myself." Does anyone care to extol their opinion here?

Kirtanman

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »
Hi Sage & All,

A wealth of info on Swami Lakshmanjoo at this site, including a video playlist of Swami Lakshmanjoo teaching.

Parabhairavo'ham*,

Kirtanman

*Parabhairavo'ham - "I am Parabhairava"; so "am" you; for details on what this means -- watch Swami Laksmanjoo's first video, via the link above. For any who can't or don't want to watch: Parabhairava is simply our natural, supreme state of subjective awareness; the only difference between Parabhairava // God-consciousness (per Swami Lakshmanjoo), is that the mistaken "I thought" of "I am the doer" is dropped -- and Parabhairava is revealed.

And no, of course ----- there's no way it could be that simple.

Except, of course, for the reality that it *is*.

That's why they call it *Realization* ........

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:41:31 PM by Kirtanman »

Kirtanman

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 01:33:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by sage

Well, I hope it is ok to just start in conversation. I have yet to learn of this swami nor do I have even a remote understanding of kashmir shaivism....so after a scanning thru internet search..I found the above which I liked.
Thanks for sharing.

I also think that it seems that most sages seemed to have a very early desire to pursue spiritual practice. Maybe this is prevalent among the East Indian culture.
I am not sure what I think about the quote that "people thought I was crazy, but I made myself." Does anyone care to extol their opinion here?

I hope so, too ..... seeing as how I've done it a few hundred times, now!

[:D]

Basically, my only comment on those quotes is:

Based on everything I've ever read or seen attributed to Swami Lakshmanjoo from sources that seem to be clearly authoritative ..... which includes, as far as I know ..... everything available from/about Swami Lakshmanjoo, including every single word of every single book, transcribed from Swami Lakshmanjoo's spoken lectures .... as well as every word in every book written by the numerous, highly credible authors who were disciples of his (Dyczkowski, Silburn, Singh) .... all of which I've read multiple times ... sometimes daily ... for months on end (I've found a *lot* of value in Kashmir Shaivism//Swami Lakshmanjoo's teachings, over the last couple of years) ....

... the "made myself" quote sounds very "UN-Lakshmanjoo-like"; the others sound kinda-sorta like things he might say ... that someone maybe transcribed from a talk, or something(?)

Swami Lakshmanjoo has a fairly unique speaking style, and way of phrasing things - that you'll see in his videos and/or books (which are word-for-word transcriptions of audio lectures) -- and even the quotes which I agree are positive -- just don't really sound like Swami Lakshmanjoo, to me.

Check out info at the site I posted, or via any of his books (there are excerpts at the USF site, linked in my post above; I'd guess there are "Look Inside" excerpts available on Amazon; maybe via Google Books, too.)

And, per the link above as well ... if you want to get a feel for Swami Lakshmanjoo's overall "vibe", what he says, how he says it, etc. -- watch some of the videos.

And, I can vouch for the info on the USF site as sync-ing up, exactly and credibly, with everything else I know of Swami Lakshmanjo; the quotes at the start of this thread just don't sound like him, to me.

What's their (those quotes) source?

I hope this is helpful.

Heart Is Where The AUM Is,

Kirtanman
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:40:58 PM by Kirtanman »

Kirtanman

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:05:09 PM »
Video Series:

Swami Lakshmanjoo, lecturing on the Gita-Samgraha (Abhinavagupta's commentary on the Bhavagad-Gita).

Example of the type of value Swami Lakshmanjoo offers:

Some of you have heard of Devas and Devis --- Gods and Goddesses.

Some of you have made offerings to Devas and Devis.

What are Devas and Devis, *really*?

Your own organs.

How likely is it that this is an accurate intepretation?

Swami Lakshmanjoo begins the video by mentioning that the *only* Gita scholar//realized master who understood the encoded Sanskrit of the Bhagavad-Gita deeply enough to understand the true, deeper meanings was Abhinavagupta (who was possibly the greatest scholar. Of pretty much anything. Anywhere. Ever. Abhinavagupta was basically like Einstein, Plato & {Insert Name of Most Highly Realized Master You Know Of Here}, rolled into one; he freakin' *juggles* the most intricate nuances of Sanskrit and Tantric theory, while showing himself - at the same time - to be the most masterful logician, philosopher and meta-physician that *this* humble student, at least, as ever seen ....).

He (Swami Lakshmanjoo) then rattles off the specific Sanskrit ....

( ... Swami Lakshmanjoo, a little-known (at the time; early 1960s, I think) swami from Kashmir, was invited to lecture on Kundalini at Benares Sanskrit University -- which he delivered in flawless spoken Sanskrit.

The scholars at Benares were so impressed with Swami Lakshmanjoo's Sanskrit *and* his experience-based overview of Kundalini, that they gave him an honorary seat (and subsequently, an honorary doctorate degree); when Lakshmanjoo received the degree in the mail, he laughed and said, "So - I'm a doctor now!" -- After he passed on, disciples found the degree copy ... tossed in with other discarded papers).

..... and cites the reason for his and Abhinavagupta's shared conclusions (that the Devas are our organs) -- which they both understood, by virtue of Sanskrit scholarship, and direct experience/realization (enlightenment, liberation).

Which sums up why I like Swami Lakshmanjoo so much --- he was realized, loving, intelligent, scholarly -- with a life dedicated to truly uncovering the Real, and freeing it from the dust-layers of intellectual misinterpretation -- so that we all become liberated, enlightened and celebrating the reality of the one self .... and that we all may be able to say, as did Swami Lakshmanjoo:

Shivo'ham*,

Kirtanman

*I Am Shiva (the One Subjective Awareness; the subject who can never be an object). <-- Another helpful tidbit I picked up from Swami Lakshmanjoo.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:16:42 PM by Kirtanman »

Kirtanman

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »

"You have always been Parabhairava also! You can't deny! Parabhairava is everywhere! You are Parabhairava!"
~Swami Laksmanjoo, responding to question at the beginning of One in a Million video.

(Parabhairava is the supreme form of the Union of Shiva and Shakti, in Kashmir Shaivism, pure unified awareness, living unbound; who and what we each and all actually are, now.)

Kirtanman

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »

Here's another thread I started, based on a quote from Swami Lakshmanjoo, and my related powerful experience:

The Infinite Power Of True Awareness

Whole-Heartedly,

Kirtanman

anaitkes

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 05:11:09 PM »
Kirtanman, thank you SO MUCH for responding to this thread.

Please allow me to share some of my story with you so that we are on the same page. Nearabout the beginning of this year I began purchasing books on Kashmir Shaivism. I had a prior interest in the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra. Indeed, it is my daily interest as I find the text both profound and practical and it is the basis of my practice. Whether I understand the depths of the philosophy or not - I practice the yoga recommended by that text and the Siva Sutras.

It took me quite some time to save up $125+ for that wonderful seven CD + complete manual study set of Vijnana Bhairava that the USF graciously offers. When I finally ordered it I knew that a major piece of the jigsaw of my spiritual life had just fallen into place and I eagerly awaited its delivery. When I received it, in that same day, I listened through the entire seven CD set where Swamiji covers the entire text and read along in the manual with the various helpful notes.

Other books I acquired: Shiva Sutras: The Supreme Awakening (Lakshmanjoo), Siva Sutras, The Yoga of Supreme Identity (Singh), Spanda Karikas (Singh), Kashmir Shaivism, The Secret Supreme (Lakshmanjoo), Self-Realization in Kashmir Shaivism (Lakshmanjoo), and the edited version of Lakshmanjoo's exposition of the VB. As well as acquiring these books, I collected every picture that I could find online of Swamiji - a habit of mine. I find that having pictures close at hand is often supremely inspiring and I admire Lakshmanjoo daily.

Some of my thoughts on him: obviously a very learned teacher, comes from a pure lineage of masters and seems to have been the main disciple of his master, not only a scholar but a yogi, speaks with the confidence of realization however does so in a manner that is not self-serving or put on, seems to have purified Kashmir Shaivism somewhat perhaps removing outside practices which crept in over time (I see evidence of this in the fact that he taught the basics of the philosophy and the practical yoga for its realization rather than focusing on exoteric ritual, etc), has a joyful and loving personality that is very obviously his nature and not put on, can be very terse (for example his exposition of the VB is often but a few lines for some dharanas where little needs to be said - no wastage of words), seems to have beautiful followers who do not seem to be caught in a superficial and emotionally damaging guru game (like the disciples or followers of many pop gurus) but rather seem to see themselves as upholding and continuing a tradition of which their master was a part of himself...

At times I have had doubts about the depth of Lakshmanjoo's realization. I'm not sure why but I think it is related to how he carries himself and teaches. Before studying Kashmir Shaivism and accepting Lakshmanjoo as a beneficial teacher I was caught up in reading the popular gurus who are mostly sweet talkers and perhaps manipulators. People like Osho and the like who seemed more like actors at times playing to the expectations of their audience. Lakshmanjoo had none of these pretensions and believe it or not I found this off-putting at first. When he discusses the texts of his tradition it is often without excessive poetics, staying closer to the practical exposition of the meaning. This is in contrast with leaders like Osho who often used texts as a basis for their own interpretations or simply as a jumping board to go into other topics. All this aside, I've come to appreciate Lakshmanjoo's style and manner of expression, sometimes he is more effortlessly mystical than any of these pop gurus could ever hope to be, like in his commentary on the 43rd verse of VB (nijadehe sarvadikkam...).

On the whole, I get a remarkably good feeling about Lakshmanjoo. In his pictures one sees an honest man, and in the eyes of his disciples one sees great respect rather than blind following or starry eyed worship.

Again, thank you for responding with your enthusiasm for Swamiji. I have had a few weeks of stumbling due to the pervasive presence of drugs around me and have had much difficulty in keeping the real goal in plain sight. Your enthusiasm has re-awakened me, in a sense, to the appropriateness of Kashmir Shaivism and Swami Lakshmanjoo in my life.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5271/50lg.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/748/80352873.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1074/sdfc.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5351/99065900.jpg

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 09:16:45 PM »
Hi Kirtanman,

quote:

Your own organs.

Where does it say in the Bagavad Gita that the Davas and Devis are bodily organs?

Christi

Kirtanman

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 12:31:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Kirtanman,

quote:

Your own organs.

Where does it say in the Bagavad Gita that the Davas and Devis are bodily organs?

Christi

Hi Christi,

Swami Lakshmanjoo gives a detailed overview of the exact sutras from the Bhagavad-Gita, along with Abhinavagupta's exposition in the Gita-Samgraha, and the exposition, in the video link I originally posted.

Here it is again, for convenience:

.VIDEO: Swami Lakshmanjoo, teaching from the Bhagavad-Gita on Devas as Our Organs.

Some of you may be familiar with the fact that most esoteric teachings have four levels of expression:

Literal
Philosophical
Inferred
Mystical/Experiential

In Hebrew, these levels are Peshat, Remez, Derasha & Sod -- easily remembered by the helpful mnemonic PRDS - Garden or Orchard, in Hebrew -- or, as it's better known in English: PARADISE.

The yogic/tantric traditions use this same methodology of linguistic encoding as well (four levels, each one less fixed, literal and definitional than the last -- culminating with the level which actually informs all the others: the living exposition of the master).

In Kashmir Shaivism, these levels are usually outlined as the four levels of speech:

Para
Pasyanti
Madhyama
Vaikhari

The literal sutras of any sacred writing, including the Bhagavad-Gita, are at the level of Vaikhari - gross, literal.

Many people are familiar with certain allegorical layers woven into the Bhagavad-Gita; Arjuna as the egoic self or soul, Krishna as the One Self of Pure Subjective Awareness; the two warring factions as the apparent conflicts within dualistic consciousness, and so on. This is the Madhyama level.

Most are unfamiliar with the deeply symbolic, archetypal Pasyanti level, and/or the Para or Paravak level - the exposition of the living master.

Abhinavagupta and Swami Lakshmanjoo are both teaching from these latter two/subtle-most levels -- and ultimately, providing this symbolic teaching of organs-as-Devas from their own experiential authority.

It fits with the interpretative models of Kashmir Shaivism, and they are very powerful:

Limited humans worship Devas and Devis.

Whom do Devas and Devis worship?

The One; the Supreme ----- THIS THAT we each and all actually are, now -- the One Awareness behind and before all form -- including the obscuring layers of the concepts of limited mind.

Ayam Atma Bramha
Tattvam Asi

(All This Is The Self; That You Are.)

Likewise, that's what all the "terrible forms" and "benevolent forms" of the Devas and Devis in Hinduism and Buddhism come from ..... to teach that what appears one way to limited mind is quite the opposite from the view-experience-being of unlimited awareness.

And so .... the organs/senses ... the Devas (the senses themselves) and the Devis (the power of the senses) .... are not the Gods and Goddesses *above* us .... we can only *dream* that is the case.

They are actually our beloved servants, reverently laying the offering of this every renewing fountain of living form known as this moment now at the feet of the One Whom They Love And Serve --- This: I AM --- This: We Each And All Are Now.

Swami Laksmanjoo chants the pertinent sutras, and offers the specific Sanskrit, along with his own exposition, in English, in the video.

That's why, when oral traditions were the norm, it was said that the guru's interpretation was necessary; it was --- most of the applicable levels and layers of meaning in a given sacred writing were encoded in multiple layers.

This is true of the Bhagavad-Gita, the Shiva Sutras of Vasugupta, the Spandakarika, the Vijnanabhairava, the Torah, the Bible .... and so on, and so forth.

They're all just maps -- which need a skilled map-reader to be useful ... because ultimately ... it's only-ever-always .... about where the map leads:

All The Way Home, Now.

Possibly Helpful Note:

As some may know, the Bhagavad-Gita was/is a Vaishnava (Vishnu-centric schools) scripture, and Swami Lakshmanjoo and Abhinavagupta are-were non-dual Shaivites (Shva-centric schools). Most intepretations of the Bhagavad-Gita are dualistic, because most Vaishnavite schools are dualistic; however, there are non-dualistic (Advaitic) Vaishnava schools. In non-dualistic schools, all scriptures and mythologies are recognized to be templates, and so, Krishna, an avatar of Vishnu, in the Bhagavad-Gita ... is seen to be identical with the Shiva of Kashmir Shaivism, and the Brahman of Advaita Vedanta.

In Abhinavagupta's time, the Bhagavad-Gita was the primary scripture in use throughout India, and so, he felt a specifically non-dual recension and commentary on the Bhagavad-Gita would be useful ... and he produced the Gita-Samgraha (loosely translated: "The Song That Holds Unity Together" or "The Song of the Goodness of Oneness" (Gita is Song; Sam can be "Unity" or "Good/Well" and "Graha" is to Hold/Grip/Hold Fast To).

I'm not super-familiar with the Bhagavad-Gita myself; I've read it a few times (Sanskrit and English, line by line) -- but I don't know it well enough to recognize the Sanskrit that Swami Lakshmanjoo rattles off at the beginning of the video, in terms of which sutra it may be; I have the Gita-Samgraha, and it'll probably be easier to find in the book, than by listening/guessing -- I'll plan to take a look in the near future.

In the meantime: my main response to your question, Christi, is simply that it likely doesn't *say* that Devas are organs anywhere in the Bhagavad-Gita, overtly; that reality was-is discovered-articulated by Abhinavagupta and Swami Lakshmanjoo in the time-honored "Sanskritical Analysis" tradition of figuring out *all* the different meanings which can be elicited by the Sanskrit of a given sutra, and therefore, what the essential meaning is .... which is always and ever far beyond words ... but which can be indicated by words.

All of the books Anaitkes listed, by Swami Lakshmanjoo follow this methodology; Mark Dyczkowski's writings literally follow the Yoga Spandakarika (the "user guide" of the Shiva Sutras [8D]) line by line, along with exposition on four different commentaries by four different enlightened guys, all of whom follow the mystical-interpretative methodologies I've outlined in this post.)

It's enough to drive those of us raised in a "one word, one definition" culture, and therefore utterly enslaved to the dream of "name and form".

Or, as Kashmir Shaivism states it a bit more clearly: "Denoted Meaning and Denoted Object" -- as in: Cat -- Denoted Meaning is the word Cat which describes a feline mammal of the often insistent persuasion; Denoted Object is the actual object, denoted by the word, the physical feline mammal of the often insistent persuasion, known as Cat.

Sanskrit's capabilities of not being tied to any one denoted meaning, rather than making things murky .... actually help to clarify the reality to which Denoted Meanings *and* Denoted Objects can only indicate or symbolize, thus liberating awareness from limited identification with them.

That is the ultimate purpose of language itself -- including the beautiful sutras of the Bhagavad-Gita.

Knowing ourselves; our pure, original awareness as the Living Reality of Consciousness-Bliss to which all sacred writings point - Satchidananda - is what Swami Lakshmanjoo is doing, in the video lecture he offers, linked near the beginning of this post.

I hope this is helpful.

Whole-Heartedly,

Kirtanman

Christi

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 11:59:05 PM »
Hi Kirtanman,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I could not access the video from the link you gave, but I found it on youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srV1bdQ68RM&feature=related

Is this the same one?

This guy seems like a lovely fellow, and quite knowledgeable in many fields.  Some things to watch out for though....

In the first line of the video he says: "No one has commented on this verse of the Gita other than Abhinavagupta". Given that hundreds (if not thousands) of teachers have commented on the BagavadGita verse by verse, this seems a little incredulous to say the least.

Soon after he makes the statement: "The Devas are not Gods".

The terms "Deva" and "Devi" are used many times throughout the Upanishads. They basically translate (as I'm sure you know) as angels, or Gods/ Goddesses. All the Devas and Devis are helpful towards humans (as opposed to the Rakshasas and Asuras who are not). The Devas are described as having bodies of their own, and as having sensory organs. They are described as existing in the higher realms and are described as being able to interact with humans and animals.

This fits well with my own experience of interacting with these beings whilst journeying in the higher realms. They are very beautiful, and intelligent, and indeed have bodies and sensory organs. To the best of my knowledge, the Devas and Devis are never described as being bodily organs.

It is true that there are more subtle spiritual meanings for certain Sanskrit words. In this case though, interpreting the word "Deva" in the BagavadGita as meaning "bodily organ" seems to be based more on speculation than any exceptional knowledge of the Sanskrit language. The statement: "The Devas are not Gods", seems to display a certain lack of knowledge of the use of the word throughout the Sanskrit texts.

It could be the case that the "foods" that are mentioned as being especially suitable for offerings to the Devas are in fact representative of aspects of the human nature such as greed, selfishness, anger etc. That would be another interpretation based on speculation, rather than knowledge. That is not to say that it would not be a useful interpretation, but to claim that the "foods" are these aspects of the human nature, would be to make an unfounded speculation into a statement of fact.

Swami Lakshmanjoo (in the video linked to above) does seem to be saying that when someone is in a high state of realization, and then they eat good food, which they enjoy, then they will become enlightened. Well... he may be right. [:)]

Or maybe he was living on alms, and was trying to up the quality of the food being put in his bowl. [:D]

Who knows?

In my own experience, I have become aware of the connection between eating food and the production of Soma in the body. I have also become aware of the connection between the production of Soma and the transition from "identification with awareness as subject" to non-dual awareness (Oneness, beyond both subject and object). I have not noticed that certain foods affect this more than others... maybe Lakshmanjoo and/or Abhinavagupta did, hence the commentary?

Even if there is a connection between eating certain foods and realization, I think it would be better to say that the almost universal meanings of the terms Deva/Devi in Sanskrit, are Gods/ Godesses and angels, and that one, highly speculative other possible translation could be as "bodily organs".

Christi
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 01:35:10 AM by Christi »

Kirtanman

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »
Hi Christi,

Yep, same video.

Abhinavagupta and Lakshmanjoo were both fully realized masters, who were also Sanskrit scholars, amazingly intelligent men, and world-class logicians and philosophers; if they outline a specific interpretation of a given sutra from a sacred Sanskrit text -- you can be sure they are elucidating it not only as-from Source, but with a solid grounding in the specific philosophical, grammaticial, logical, interpretive and yogic skill-sets and knowledge-sets involved (and here's the important part) ... within the context of non-dual Tantric Shaivism.

In saying that the "Devas are not gods" -- Lakshmanjoo is describing the relative relationship between limited mind, senses/organs (Devas, in the context of that video), and the original awareness of the Parabhairava state --- teaching-being-speaking *from* that state.

He's not saying that devas don't exist in any other way, or that traditional intepretations are invalid ---- he's saying, "Check out what Abhinavagupta got from this! This is brilliant --- you can see your *organs*, your *senses* as the devas -- and see that, as limited mind, you can offer them good nutritious food, which gives them the right energies, and in so doing, you fulfill both your desires to give and their desires to receive, which closes that desire-loop of limited mind's dream, and they in turn bless you with the Parabhairava state --- where you realize you were never really limited mind at all, and that all objects are here to bless you, the One Subject, the One Self, the One Awareness; brilliant!"

Within Kashmir Shaivism, this illustration is perfectly valid, and potentially quite useful; and is certainly not intended to supersede or invalidate any other interpretation -- other interpretations are simply not considered in that illustration.

Kashmir Shaivism is about one thing only:

Practices and teachings that bring awareness back to awareness of itself as original awareness.

Period.

Saying that Abhinavagupta and Lashmanjoo were speculating is (and this is of course said with complete respect to you, Christi -- it's simply true, though) is much like saying Newton and Leibniz were speculating when they each-both created calculus.

If you consider the great minds of Western civilization -- Plato, Euclid, Galileo, Newton, Hume, Leibniz, Planck, Einstein, Etc. ---- know that Abhinavagupta and Lakshmanjoo were fully their equivalent, intellectually -- in their specific disciplines, under discussion here (philosophy, realization, Sanskrit, and the yoga of realized Sanskrit interpretation, called Matrika in Kashmir Shaivism) -- *and* they were fully realized/enlightened living masters, as well.

Simply Put: They *are* the authority -- Philosophically, Realizationally, Sanskritically.

[8D]

I bet you almost anything that if Plato had lived to ninety-plus, and you caught him on a YouTube video at that age .... he might've seemed a little speculative, too.

Speculation is something mind does, though.

Authoritative interpretation is.

That's why the yoga sutras say that the three ways to have right knowledge are:

Through the senses.
Through the cognition of the mind.
Through the words of the living master.

The intepretation of the living master *is* the correct interpretation -- not because (as in this case) a certain word might point to something *else*, but because in the instance of the teaching ---- they are using words and interpretation to guide us beyond word and interpretation ---- all the way to that which is living, unbound; to that which is real; to this that we each and all ever are, now.

Devas can be organs; Devas can be angelic beings; either interpretation is valid; either experience can be authentic, any interpretation can be correct -- all that really matters is:

Do they help guide us home --- or, once we're home, and know ourselves to be home - do they help us celebrate?

What is correct is what is enlightening.

Factual, or conceptual correctness doesn't count for very much, at all -- they're iterations of the objective, not the real.

I hope this is helpful, and I hope it helps clarify.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Kirtanman

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 02:24:48 PM »
Hi Christi,

A bit of further clarification might be helpful:

In Kashmir Shaivism, the nature of not only the objects of the senses, but the senses themselves, depend upon who the experiencing subject is (or thinks it is).

The limited ego-mind has the five senses of smell, taste, sight, touch and hearing.

Parabhairava has the five senses of Shiva, Shakti, Sadasiva, Isvara and Suddhavidya, which all precede the apparent constrictions which take place as attention passes through the veil of Maya (from subjectivity into objectivity).

So, as much as it may have not been addressed directly in the video under discussion, Swami Lakshmanjoo certainly knew-lived this teaching.

It's all just a fancy way of saying:

When sense-of-self expands, experiences of senses and objects expand, too -- and the distinctions between "subject, object and means of knowing" are a utility, if they're anything --- and, at the very least, are certainly no longer mistaken for reality.

Again, I hope this is helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Christi

Swami Lakshmanjoo
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
Hi Kirtanman,

Even the realized masters are capable of making mistakes and getting things wrong. That is why there is really no such thing as a final authority on anything in this world. The validity of any statement made by a spiritual teacher depends on how it holds up to the light of our own experience when put to the test.

The statement: "The Devas are not Gods" is very different from the statement: "The Devas are Gods and Angelic beings, but it is also useful to view our own bodily organs as Devas when eating food". One contradicts the other.

You seem to be saying that within the framework of teaching of Kashmir Shaivism, it is O.K. to make statements that are obviously false, if those statements help people to awaken. If that is the case, then I have no problem with that.

quote:
He's not saying that devas don't exist in any other way, or that traditional intepretations are invalid ---- he's saying, "Check out what Abhinavagupta got from this! This is brilliant --- you can see your *organs*, your *senses* as the devas -- and see that, as limited mind, you can offer them good nutritious food, which gives them the right energies, and in so doing, you fulfill both your desires to give and their desires to receive, which closes that desire-loop of limited mind's dream, and they in turn bless you with the Parabhairava state --- where you realize you were never really limited mind at all, and that all objects are here to bless you, the One Subject, the One Self, the One Awareness; brilliant!"

That wasn't what I understood from the video. He didn't seem to be saying: "Give your bodily organs good nutritious food". As I saw it he was talking about specific expensive and delicious foods which are mentioned in the scriptures as being suitable for offerings to the Gods and the angelic beings. He went on to say that these foods should not be wasted on ordinary unenlightened people, but should only be eaten by those who are on the brink of realization. I am sure that Lakshmanjoo would be happy for everyone to eat good nutritious food, so what he is offering here seems to be in the form of an advanced spiritual practice involving particular foods.

Christi