Author Topic: Criticizing a Guru  (Read 1497 times)

adamadaman

Criticizing a Guru
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 03:36:32 AM »
Man, this thread took an odd turn.

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
Criticizing a Guru
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 03:38:51 AM »
Hi Bodhi Tree

quote:
LOL. Lack of care for spelling errors a sign of enlightenment? Perhaps for some, but I don't that's a universal indicator, especially if proofreading is your profession.

[:D]

It's: "I don't think that's a universal indicator". Without the verb the whole sentence falls apart.

[:p]

Only messing around. I'm actually chronically dyslexic and cannot spell to save my life. [:)] But luckily I don't care. [:o)][8D]

Good to hear you are helping with the proof reading, it's a much needed job.

Christi

Criticizing a Guru
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 03:41:50 AM »
Hi Adamanaman and all,

Going back to the question of criticizing Gurus. There was a famous monk who once lived in North East Thailand called Ajhan Chah. One day someone told him they thought he was a real hypocrite. They said that one day he advised people to do one thing and then the next day he would advise people to do quite the opposite. He said that giving spiritual advise was like helping a blind man to cross a bridge over a chasm. At one point they would verge too far to the left and he would have to shout "go right", and later they would verge too far to the right and he would have to shout "go left".

So this is one of the reasons we have to be careful criticizing gurus, because we might just still be the blind man crossing the bridge.  

Of course this does not mean that spiritual teachers can do no wrong, just that there can be reasons that we are not yet aware of that they say some of the things that they say and do some of the things that they do.

Christi

maheswari

Criticizing a Guru
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 04:22:05 AM »
Love this story...thx Christi

karl

Criticizing a Guru
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 05:03:20 AM »

Christi

Criticizing a Guru
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 05:34:01 AM »
Hi Karl,

I expect that old Thai monk got his stories from watching Monty Python.

here is the non-mobile link to the same video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7iXw9zZrLo

Bodhi Tree

• http://www.codyrickett.com
Criticizing a Guru
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 04:25:50 PM »
[?]
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hyphens anyone?

Love 'em --- living unbounded spaces in the flowing stillness of words --- [:p]

The-guru-is-in-you.

LMAO!

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Wait, and one more yes.

Genius minds thrive here!

Bodhi Tree

• http://www.codyrickett.com
Criticizing a Guru
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 04:31:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Bodhi Tree

quote:
LOL. Lack of care for spelling errors a sign of enlightenment? Perhaps for some, but I don't that's a universal indicator, especially if proofreading is your profession.

It's: "I don't think that's a universal indicator". Without the verb the whole sentence falls apart.

Superb. We have come full circle! Even the proofreader needs proofreading. I better quit while I'm ahead...or am I behind?...I forget.

Christi

Criticizing a Guru
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 04:25:19 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Bodhi Tree

quote:

Superb. We have come full circle! Even the proofreader needs proofreading. I better quit while I'm ahead...or am I behind?...I forget.

Hi Bodhi Tree,

Don't quit now. We need you! [:D]

vijikr

Criticizing a Guru
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »
ha-ha-ha-ha funny lol[:D]
welcome Adamadaman and lets not off the topic.
Nice story Christi.

Love N Light
Viji

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
Criticizing a Guru
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 11:52:07 PM »

This IS funny. If enlightened people care less about spelling, I'm not at ALL enlightened. Partly from an English teacher mom, and partly from being led astray so many times by things not written correctly.

It is a little risky having an American proof read something from UK. There are many differences in spelling, what words are appropriate, implied meanings, etc.