Author Topic: Barry Long  (Read 1158 times)

snake

Barry Long
« on: July 26, 2006, 05:03:20 AM »
Did anyone find BL's teachings helpfull.
Eckart Tolle went to him for verification and to understand his realization better

sadhak

Barry Long
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 04:00:06 PM »
Hi Snake,

Who is BL?

snake

Barry Long
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 03:31:14 AM »

trip1

• http://seekanddestroypodcast.com/
Barry Long
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 09:00:02 AM »
Hi Snake,

A few months back I listened to a Barry Long interview, but haven't had the chance to study any of his other work.  Interestingly enough, I recently acquired a few of his audiobooks which I plan on checking out in the near future.  I'll be back with a report once I've had the chance to do so.  Do you study his teachings?

Very interesting fact about Tolle, by the way. [:)]

snake

Barry Long
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 09:09:23 AM »
I had a freind that did a 3 day meeting with him so I did look at his stuff,even the most recent releases and I do find a lot of what he teaches to be most usefull

david_obsidian

Barry Long
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 08:24:22 AM »

Barry Long died on 6 December 2003, at the age of 77. It was his wish that his books and tapes should continue to be published and be made available by The Barry Long Foundation International.

I had a look at his site and I found some of it interesting but there isn't much to read there instantly for free and you have to buy stuff to find out more.  I wasn't sufficiently attracted to do so.  I wish he hadn't rejected the Open Source boat before he died.  I think that these days,  those who choose to keep their works under the control of foundations when they pass away,  make a mistake which limits the passage of their spiritual message.

I think it's better to put it all up there where people have unrestricted access to it.

trip1

• http://seekanddestroypodcast.com/
Barry Long
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 03:09:25 PM »
Thanks, Snake.

David, I share some of your thoughts on this subject, and definitely feel that at least some of the core teachings should be widely available to the public for free.

The main reasons that I personally wouldn't say all of the teachings would be (1) if the teacher leaves behind a family, and (2) if the teacher has left behind ashrams or schools which are partially dependent on the sale of books, recordings, etc.

The idea of a foundation is at its root a good one, as I would think that most are conceived in order to uphold the teachings in their original form.  Unfortunately, we have seen quite a few instances where just the opposite has happened, and it is discouraging to see a good idea go bad once the enlightened guy (or girl) has left the building.  

While I will refrain from getting too detailed on a public forum (and please moderate as needed), there certainly are places where this information is widely available, if one knows where to look.  Although this may not be the classiest way of going about getting the teachings, I have a gut feeling that the teachers themselves wouldn't mind too much.  [:)]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 06:07:34 PM by trip1 »

emc

Barry Long
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 07:49:59 AM »
Snake,

I have not seen this thread until now, so perhaps a little late, but, yes... I was introduced to some books of Barry Long after having attended a workshop with Bernie Prior, who talkes very much about the same thing as Barry, but in a more modest way.

Barry is brilliant in some areas, but unfortunately he is not choosing the most neutral words to express his message. His way of expressing himself is rather old-fashioned and filled with morally tainted words. I think this disturbs many people, especially men, since they get it the most.

But if one can oversee with his bad taste in choice of words, his mistakes of falling into a judgemental tone, he has an important message. His teachings have helped me tremendously in my relationship. Our spiritual insights have been coming faster and faster after understanding more and more about his message.

In essence, it is what Yogani says in his Tantra-book, although Barry has gone deeper into the mind-psychology of how egos try to avoid transformation into TRUTH and LOVE.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 07:53:45 AM by emc »