Author Topic: Adding Ujjayi to Spinal Breathing  (Read 552 times)

ak33

Adding Ujjayi to Spinal Breathing
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:24:56 AM »
Hi guys, after two months I am able to again proceed with my practices without any overloads [/\]

I've added ujjayi to my spinal breathing but I was wondering whether the throat passage is to be narrowed on only exhale or both inhale and exhale. The descriptions of ujjayi I've read online say to do on both, which would lengthen both of them, instead of just the exhalation.

bewell

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:36:27 AM »
Hi ak33,

Adding Ujjayi is addressed in the SBP lesson. Here are the instructions:

"On the exhalations, allow your epiglottis to close enough so that there is a small restriction of the air leaving your lungs. The epiglottis is the door in your throat that automatically closes your windpipe (trachea) when you hold your breath or swallow. By partially closing it as you exhale, a fine hissing sound will occur in your throat. This is called "ujjayi." Be easy about it. Don't strain. Keep the slow, deep rhythm of breathing you have become accustomed to as you add this small restriction in the throat during exhalations. On the inhalations, allow the throat to relax and open more than usual. Do not restrict the air coming in. Rather, allow the deepest part of your throat to open wide, comfortably."

Namaste,

[/\]

ak33

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:20:19 AM »
Thank you Bewell. I have to say, the ujjayi addition is one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced. The breath is extremely slow, long and relaxing. Its very powerful but effortless, true bliss.

bewell

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 08:22:13 AM »
Yes, it is a joy. You describe the inner sensation well.
[/\]