Author Topic: the star revisited (again)  (Read 3663 times)

LittleTurtle

the star revisited (again)
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
Often when awakening in the morning I see what appears to be (part) of the thousand petaled lotus. It is silvery white with a small perfect "hole" in the center surrounded by perhaps a hundred or more jewel like petals. I first saw this almost forty years ago. Since doing these practices I have seen among other things a perfect red circle surrounded by a perfect blue square, also upon awakening. I think this had to do with the root chakra. It was really quite beautiful. I think all of the third eye/sushumna visions we see are parts/gradations of the spinal nerve and chakras and it's various levels of awakening or vibration. It's way fun. [:)]

tallis

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 01:24:54 AM »
Hi Yogibear, Kyman, Little Turtle,
Kyman wrote:
quote:
Do we determine what is seen by where we hold our attention and direct our energy? Does putting energy into a certain spot so the region becomes full of energy somehow produce the visions seen? What other mechanism would one use to choose between seeing the images through the various parts of the body? Or is our image of the third eye somewhat of a reflection of our entire spine and gives us some sense of the light that can or cannot flow through the central channel?

Interesting the question of where in our bodies we experience all these visions.  I can't speak for anyone else, but so far I've always 'viewed' any vision from the same place in front of my closed eyes.  I think Satyananda gives a pretty good definition:
'chidikasha - the psychic space behind the forehead where all psychic events are viewed.'

My last experience of the star illustrates how the physical place in the body involved with the vision itself differs from the place of viewing.  As the vision in front of me evolved and the star became clearer, I further concentrated my attention at the third eye, which further focussed the vision.  But if I became too active in observing the events then the clarity of the star began to diminish.  This balance of active versus passive concentration changed several times over the course of the experience, as I began to learn how best to react to events.  Clearly (no pun intended!), remaining as passive a witness as possible in chidikasha allowed greater concentration on the third eye, which was key in increasing the depth of the experience.
Little Turtle wrote:
quote:
I think all of the third eye/sushumna visions we see are parts/gradations of the spinal nerve and chakras and it's various levels of awakening or vibration.

When you say 'third eye/sushumna visions,' do you mean visions perceived in chidikasha?  Since my third eye felt tingly/numb during the whole course of my last experience, I was pretty aware of its physical location throughout.  I'd say that I felt a distinct separation in space between it and the great television screen in the mind where I was observing events - that the star I was witnessing in my mind was definitely not at the third eye itself.  Otherwise I agree with you, that these visions are probably all or at least mostly parts/gradations of the spinal nerve and chakras.

Kyman wrote:
quote:
Do you have to look really far up, as in the eyes go limp, cross, and then become focused upward as the energy flows in?

My eyes seem more drawn to the tip of the nose. They very easily relax and then drift into that focus. From there, they begin to aim upwards without losing that gaze towards the center, as if still focused on the tip of my nose. Once they are raised, I have only a minor degree of comfort and relaxation.

Just a thought: I wouldn't force sambhavi too much, since it'll draw your attention away from what you want to be focussing on.  With me, definitely the further the eyes raise, the more intense the effect.  But then again, I don't feel it as a strain.  To give a similar example of my own, though: I've always found YMK quite a technical mudra, with lots to keep my attention on (thereby distracting my attention).  During this last occasion with the star, though, all those side issues didn't bother me and I was much freer to concentrate on the essentials.

yogibear

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 04:52:56 AM »
Hi you guys,

quote:
Tallis wrote:

Just a thought: I wouldn't force sambhavi too much, since it'll draw your attention away from what you want to be focussing on.

When I had this experience I mentioned previously, my eyes gently rolled up and in without my causing it. My tongue gently went up and touched my palate just back of my teeth.

Yet my vision was not limited to the direction of my physical eyes.

quote:
Tallis wrote:

Interesting the question of where in our bodies we experience all these visions. I can't speak for anyone else, but so far I've always 'viewed' any vision from the same place in front of my closed eyes. I think Satyananda gives a pretty good definition:
'chidikasha - the psychic space behind the forehead where all psychic events are viewed.'

Thanks for this quote, Tallis.

Prior to this when doing spinal breathing, I started to feel on a regular basis during practice sessions a tightening at the tip of my coccyx as my attention descended to that point.  It was very subtle yet unmistakable. I would go into this tension with my attention and then again ascend the spine. There was also a very fine current in my spine that is hard to describe.

It started after some weeks of practice. This mulabandha, if it is what Yogani refers to, was very micro. I don't experience this now. But upon reading about the micromovements with mudras and bandhas in Yogani's teaching, I thought of this phenomenon, that just happened naturally without my causing them at all, as I went into deep meditation.

Also, with regards to the third eye, to me, it is something you see with and not something you see. It is inextricably woven into what you are. I don't know if you can separate it out into the "not I" catagory or not. If, so, perhaps it is one of the last things to go.

Best, yb.

Juliet

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 04:48:47 AM »
This is copied over from the "Wings to Freedon" thread.

How fascinating that this blue/yellow sushumna graphic seems to be so universal! How cool is it that we are living in a time where we can log on and collectively view computer graphics of interior visions so we can finally discuss them in a forum like this! Wow! Brings new meaning to "collective reality."

----------------------------------
I have stopped yoni mudra kumbhaka for a while, Tallis, but am about ready to pick it up again now. Right now I am just doing spinal breathing and deep med--due to scheduling issues.

What I pretty much always get after yoni mudra is a graphic of sushumna, just as depicted in the video (concentric deep indigo and yellow), sometimes with the dot (which is I guess the bindu?) right in the center. Sometimes the dot will rez up/morph into a five-pointed star. On at least one occasion I have gotten the star later, during a more hypnagogic-type reverie state, with a pulsing, almost laser-like intensity.

Here is another reference where bindu and the star are roughly (symbolically) equated: http://www.swamij.com/bindu.htm

Is that right? Are we supposed to be piercing the star? Good to know.

On the hamsa (swan), I have not seen anything exactly as depicted in the video--but it is closely reminiscent of top of the winged caduceus, which I did encounter, but previous to AYP.  

I will try to post more on this later, but want to mention that, without including yoni mudra, the same evolution seems to be going on, but taking place "more in the background" (for lack of better terminology).

Juliet
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:52:48 AM by Juliet »

Juliet

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 06:37:38 AM »
Wrt Gumpi's challenge, isn't the "spiritual eye" basically the top end of the sushumna? Which apparently *does* have some universal manifestations, but perhaps with individual variations, depending on how much purification is/has been going on, etc.

I would suggest that Gumpi look at the "Wings of Freedom" clip, which has a computer graphic image which looks exactly like what Tallis has been talking about--and exactly like what I typically see after Yoni Mudra, the yellow ringed indigo. And it also talks about the star/bindu.

Here is the link: http://sachamassagonna.blogspot.com/2007/05/wings-to-freedom.html
Watch out for the music links on the right, sometimes they play without being invited-you may have to turn it off.

One interesting thing to me about the star is how geometrically  perfect it is--too perfect to be "imagined."

BTW, isn't the six-pointed star usually associated with the heart?

Juliet

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:43:29 AM by Juliet »

gumpi

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 07:22:05 AM »
I withdraw the challenge!  Forget me, i talk nonsense sometimes.

Yes i don't know where i remember this from but the star of David is associated with the heart centre.  Sorry i can't cite any sources.

I just thought of something.  Maybe bad people have just reincarnated from an animal?  I mean, some people are virtuous by nature, even if their siblings are not.  So good people are MADE and they are made to have experiences of God.  I don't mean to sound righteous but i know of a person that had spiritual experiences and became a materialist, so seeing the spiritual eye for me is a confirmation that God is acknowledged.  

I think that there are two types of people in this world.  There are the skeptics and atheists and the other "good" people.  What i am trying to say is that intuition is a mundane thing for the former, but it is a supernormal thing for the latter and it is easy to take the materialist approach but truly strange and beautiful things do happen to some people....

Black Rebel Radio

• http://www.blackrebelradio.com
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 02:45:59 AM »
I don't know if anyone here has ever seen Dr. Who (the Tom Baker years) but since my experiences in Kumbhaka I have been thinking of the introduction of this series that I would get completely immersed in as a kid. Here is one of the intros if anyone is interested. It's amazing how many references there are in sci-fi media and elsewhere. It's not exact but interesting nonetheless, especially if you know the story of Dr. Who.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wRhPM2wMzH8&feature=related

I also wanted to mention that during one session, I was looking within the darkness within a ring I began to see shapes of light form. As I continued to view these shapes they became crystal clear and it almost looked like I was viewing  a close circuit black and white tv but with the most amazing definition that I have ever seen. I couldn't see what the shapes were at first but after a short time I saw 5 distinct beings that looked human. They were all gathered around something and moving back and forth over a table or something. The only similarity that I can draw from my own experience is when I was watching Werner Herzog's, The Wheel Of Time, and the Buddhist monks were constructing the color chakra and they move back and forth over the sand painting. I could not tell what the beings were doing or what it was but it was amazing nonetheless. I would say that it was one of the weirdest things that has ever happened to me. This happened a few days ago although I can't remember exactly. After an unknown period of time (probably seconds) the shapes formed into a circle of light and then after a few more seconds the points of a star began to appear although very fuzzy. I could clearly make out a 5 pointed star. The experience seems different each time I do this practice and I don't try and remember or pay attention to the sequence or exactly what I see. It usually starts with two balls of light coming together then I see triangles which then form into a tunnel with a light in the middle and the walls are what appears to be triangles or checkerboard patterns. It doesn't always happen this way. Sometimes I jump directly into the ball of light which then dissipates into a dark circular (sometimes appearing violet but most of the time is light and dark with no coloring)region surrounded by a circle of light. Sometimes this forms into a star and sometime not but when I end the practice, I almost always see a mandala and it switches between what looks like a Van DeGraff Generator (static electricity ball) and the mandala. I then see it change into concentric circles which vary between circles and elliptical shapes and then into darkness again. I almost never see any colors. The mandala has been in color but usually not.

This is a sort of spontaneous brain dump so I apologize if I my communication is choppy.

Love to all
Mac

tallis

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 07:17:43 PM »
Hi Mac,
You know, recently I've been thinking the same thing about the beginning of Doctor Who!  But I still need to chase up that scene from the film '2001'...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:54:05 AM by tallis »

tallis

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 07:33:53 PM »
Hi All,
Great that so many people are contributing their experiences of the star / spritual eye, both here and on other recent threads.

I think it's worth bringing up what John C says over on his thread on Brahmamahurta (http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=3357):
quote:
Basically, from the view of neurology(I am a medical doctor with my little doctors office in a little town), all visual impressions that we see are occurring due to nerve impulses in the visual cortex, located in the occiput, or very back part of the cortex of the brain.

Whether or not you choose to believe that what we are seeing is sushumna or simply a lighting up of the visual cortex, as John C so unromantically suggests [:)], I think it ties in with what I wrote near the beginning of this thread:
quote:
All through each kumbhaka my third eye was pulling me out like never before. Interestingly, I was trying out for the first time a technique recommended by Yogananda: when concentrating on the third eye, do it from the perspective of the medulla (brain stem).

Perhaps it's no coincidence that the third eye, medulla and visual cortex all lie in a straight line: that they are all related, and that by concentrating on the medulla and/or visual cortex you help to activate the third eye.  I know that in meditition, too, if my awareness ends up in the back area of my head, I often get some kind of visual response.

Black Rebel Radio

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 03:20:47 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by tallis

Hi Mac,
You know, recently I've been thinking the same thing about the beginning of Doctor Who!  But I still need to chase up that scene from the film '2001'...

Hi Tallis! Here you go. Somebody, made a remark in the comments about Dave going into a "wormhole". I have had thoughts of this as well. Maybe this is the way to travel through time and space. It would only be natural that after investing so much time and money into launching ourselves off the Earth on the end of a roman candle that we end up having NASA within our own minds. Just some loose cannons to throw out.

Here is the video of 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6yAEvnoCPs

tallis

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 08:21:53 PM »
Thanks, Mac, for the clip.  I'm glad I don't have that music when I go down the wormhole!

'NASA within our own minds...' : I like that!

Black Rebel Radio

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 12:15:05 AM »
ROFL. You made me laugh thinking about that music playing during meditation. That would be horrible. But just some scenery...don't get distracted...lol.

Mac

tadeas

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 03:42:36 AM »
Perhaps it's been already linked before somewhere, but I'm not sure.
Anyway here's a nice picture of the five-pointed star: http://www.thehomefoundation.com/thepathtogod-black.JPG
I've only seen in once, so this is like a picture from a vacation for me ;)

Jo-self

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 08:40:03 AM »
Just finished a book on Gurus.  While following up some references, I came upon this quote:

quote:

From Clay Stinson's (1997) Open Letter to ...

[T]he sustained "white light" experience, or "entering into the light" through meditation, is a form of what neuroscientists call cortex disinhibition—the random firing of neurons in the brain. This random firing, in turn, stimulates the visual cortex producing these lights and luminosity's fanatical mystics and zealous meditators talk about. Moreover, the greater the number of neurons firing, the greater is the intensity of the white light. Quantitatively put, with few neurons randomly firing, all one sees during meditation is a small circle of white, to bluish-white, light. With a moderate number of neurons randomly firing, one sees, during meditation, a moderately large circle of light. With all or most of the neurons randomly firing, one sees a circle of light so large, brilliant, and luminous that it literally engulfs the field of vision during the meditation session. The mistake, here, of mystics, meditators, spiritual "masters," and Near Death Experiencers is to identify the "neural noise" or "white light experience" for God, Self, Mind, "mystical realization," satori, etc....

o-called mystics, meditators, and spiritual "Masters" with the "big realizations" are suffering from various species of (i) brain damage, (ii) epilepsy, (iii) psychosis, (iv) schizophrenia, and (v) debilitating depersonalization disorder, or (vi) some combination of these five.

The person who who quoted the above doesn't agree with this assessment.  You can read the rational they give http://brokenyogi.blogspot.com/2008/01/neuroscientific-materialism-and.html if you are interested (http://brokenyogi.blogspot.com/2008/01/neuroscientific-materialism-and.html).  

I gave a quick search for this disinhibition stuff, but there are too many highly technical medical references to weigh it.  This link is interesting:  http://books.google.com/books?id=w9sv49ZHqWUC&pg=PA401&lpg=PA401&dq=cortex+disinhibition+visual+white+light&source=bl&ots=jbnwW0PzVA&sig=d9YUQsZrkn4Z2Pq8rJM4TPHVV8g&hl=en&ei=cK_jSY3BAdbVlQf6ov3fDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8

It argues that the whole yogic experience phenomenome is too complex for easy explanations.   I agree.  But, ....  oh, well, don't want to be labeled as negative. [:o)]

jo-self