Author Topic: Spinal Breathing and Babaji's Kriya Yoga  (Read 4852 times)

SeanG

Spinal Breathing and Babaji's Kriya Yoga
« on: December 02, 2007, 05:16:54 AM »
Hello, i had a question in regards to the Spinal Breathing technique. I finally got my hands on the actual Babaji Kriya Yoga Pranayama Technique and i find that Spinal Breathing and the Kriya Yoga technique are very similar.

Do both practices work the same way in so far as yielding the same results?

How is either exercise more or less effective than the other?

Thanks
Sean G
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 12:26:41 PM by SeanG »

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:27:49 AM »
Hi Sean:

This lesson on varieties of spinal breathing might be helpful: http://www.aypsite.com/plus/206.html

All the best!

The guru is in you.

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 06:33:46 AM »
PS: If you are looking at a version of spinal breathing that goes down on inhalation and up on exhalation, check this lesson called, "Which way is up?" http://www.aypsite.com/plus/46.html

Viviane

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:14:01 AM »
Hello,

First of all many thanks for your dedicated teachings and support.

I have some questions regarding spinal breathing.

Nothing seems to happen if I stick to the method as you describe it, however things begin to happen if I 'add' to it, following my intuition. I find for instance that visualising is not yieling much for me, however if I focus on moving the breath it gets better. If I omitt to focus my attention on the sacrum to concentrate solely on the third eye, it also seems to have positive effects. This is because I find it harder to feel my third eye, whereas I constantly feel energy in teh sacrum throughout my practice. Finally, if I go from third eye to sacrum on the inhale I can feel more powerful effects.

In spite of all that, I have been practising the method that you describe in your teachings to a T, in an effort to keep things pure and to not make any mistakes that could lead to imbalances. But I would like to know what your thoughts are on adapting the method to suit myself. Since childhood, I seem to have had the ability to move energy in my body. I know that if I follow my natural inclinations, I will do spinal breathing a bit differently. So my question is should I trust myself or will I be creating more problems for myself in the long run?

My second question is pertaining to the constant sensation of energy in teh sacrum (I find it hard to move it up). Although the feeling could be construded as pleasurable, I know it quite well. It is the feeling I have when I feel/move energy in my body. Only it is not moving very much and remains quite stuck in the sacrum, hence it is irritating in a subtle way. The mere thought of spinal breathing is enough to bring this sensation in my sacrum (writing this, I am getting it right now). One way around it, I feel, is to focus on the third eye as explained above. What are your thoughts on this please?

Many thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.

Viviane

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 03:35:26 AM »
Hi Viviane:

The primary purpose of spinal breathing (the style used in AYP) is awakening, cultivation and integration of ecstatic energy between root and brow. In order for it to work, both ends of the spinal nerve need be addressed in practice. If it works best for you at present to only use the brow, then maybe that is the way for a while, but that is not spinal breathing. It is a different practice, and the long term effects may be uncertain, so it will be "research" on your part, at least from the AYP point of view.  

Ultimately, both ends of the sushumna (spinal nerve) will have to be integrated by some means. Full length spinal breathing is one of the primary ways ecstatic conductivity and radiance are cultivated in a balanced way.

It is suggested to avoid getting overly focused on individual chakras, as this can lead to imbalances. All of the techniques in AYP have been conceived while keeping balanced cultivation in mind, looking far beyond the chakras. This brings natural openings throughout the spiritual neurobiology, and a large payoff in the long run.

If there is too much going on at the root, causing excessive distraction, then it is suggested to employ self-pacing in practice and grounding measures as necessary. Everything will balance out in time.  

Wishing you all the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

PS: For those with awakened ecstatic conductivity (kundalini), one of the most powerful stimulants of the root is sustained attention at the brow (and the crown much more so). Things are not always as they seem. That's why in AYP we suggest balance in all things. Just some food for thought. [:)]  

Viviane

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 03:03:38 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Viviane:

The primary purpose of spinal breathing (the style used in AYP) is awakening, cultivation and integration of ecstatic energy between root and brow. In order for it to work, both ends of the spinal nerve need be addressed in practice. If it works best for you at present to only use the brow, then maybe that is the way for a while, but that is not spinal breathing. It is a different practice, and the long term effects may be uncertain, so it will be "research" on your part, at least from the AYP point of view.  

Ultimately, both ends of the sushumna (spinal nerve) will have to be integrated by some means. Full length spinal breathing is one of the primary ways ecstatic conductivity and radiance are cultivated in a balanced way.

It is suggested to avoid getting overly focused on individual chakras, as this can lead to imbalances. All of the techniques in AYP have been conceived while keeping balanced cultivation in mind, looking far beyond the chakras. This brings natural openings throughout the spiritual neurobiology, and a large payoff in the long run.

If there is too much going on at the root, causing excessive distraction, then it is suggested to employ self-pacing in practice and grounding measures as necessary. Everything will balance out in time.  

Wishing you all the best on your path. Practice wisely, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

PS: For those with awakened ecstatic conductivity (kundalini), one of the most powerful stimulants of the root is sustained attention at the brow (and the crown much more so). Things are not always as they seem. That's why in AYP we suggest balance in all things. Just some food for thought. [:)]  

Many thanks for your prompt and useful reply! I shall be sticking with the practice as described and will focus on not letting myself become too distracted by the scenery. I wasn't sure to what extent it is fine to adapt but I now realise that I'd better chose the 'safe' path over the path of experimentation! After all it would be a shame to lose time getting lost when there is a tried and tested method. I just needed to hear it applied to my personal experience in meditation! A heartfelt thank you!