Author Topic: Kechari problems  (Read 4205 times)

Scott

• http://www.theonebreath.com
Kechari problems
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 02:45:29 AM »
Meg,

Have you been walking barefoot?

-Scott

breathe

Kechari problems
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 02:51:56 AM »
One more thing. It is very interesting to see how the flow of prana changes when you get into stage 2. I am not quite sure how to diescribe it, but it feels more stable, more open and up -- if that makes any sense?

Manipura

• http://www.meghitchcock.com
Kechari problems
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 04:02:22 AM »
Tom - I totally get it - it's terribly seductive to let the tongue rest in its new home for long stretches of time and reach, but I highly don't recommend it.  Don't scarf out, dude - just small bites.  I'm not real big on self-pacing either, but this mudra in particular offers you little choice, so it's a great time to learn to slow down a bit.  It's like if you took a holiday in Hawaii:  You don't just arrive and go lay on the beach for 8 hours straight, else you'd fry to a crisp, and the rest of your holiday is ruined.  Easing into it slowly is best.  

Scott - no, I'm not big on walking barefeet, but maybe I'll give it a try around the house.  thanks!

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
Kechari problems
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 04:17:03 AM »
You are right Meg resting the tongue on the soft palate does help. [:)]

Welcome Tom. [:)]
I can feel the cool air too as I breath.. but when push further I have been gagging.. hopefully I am in the right direction. Funny how little space there is when you look in your mouth.. but how much distance there is to cover when you try to explore with your tongue. I know what you are saying about the flow of energy with kechari.. and I can feel a definite connection between the soft pallet and the root.. if you know what I mean.. not ecstatic yet.. but there is a definite connection.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 04:57:21 AM by Shanti »

breathe

Kechari problems
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 07:20:22 AM »
Meg -- fortunately, I have to talk at work, so its hard to get out of control even if I wanted to, but thanks for the warning. Kechari does seem very powerful -- especially now that I have found a comfort level with it. Don't worry I am more balanced than I might appear!

How about a cold water soak for the feet? Not sure what else to suggest, but I always find walking to be grounding and balancing. Gentle exercise is definitely good.

Shanti -- thanks for the welcome! I have not reached a gag point, but it sounds like you are pointing in the right direction. It doesn't seem like you can get too far off track once you figure out that the tongue should be lying down and pointed towards the front. The energy part is great. I go from a fairly ecstatic energy to a more neutral quality. Seems best to just be with what comes and not try and manufacture anything. The quality of the nervous system changes and thus the experience changes. Being present with what is seems to allow more of the ecstacy to come to the surface naturally. Thanks again!

Shanti

Kechari problems
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 09:42:25 AM »
Tom,
I gag when I use my fingers to push my tongue back.. not otherwise.
I was not doing kechari with my practices so far, just practicing it on the side. I just did it with my spinal breathing.. there was so much heat.. I was sweating so much that it felt like I was standing under a shower.. My arms and legs are still shaking..
Umm.. guess I should back off...

May not have been kechari related though.. had a tough day at work, was really tired and my meditation was really deep..

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 10:50:51 AM by Shanti »

Alvin Chan

Kechari problems
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 03:29:55 PM »
Congratulation, Meg. Your progress seems to be faster than I'd expected. It makes me want to snip again, when I have that luxury!

breathe

Kechari problems
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 03:14:16 AM »
Hi Shanti,
That sounds like a pretty intense reaction! Some good purification. Backing off a bit is probably a good idea. I haven't had anything that intense -- a little spacey or ungrounded if I over do it, but nothing more extreme than that. Sometimes I find just doing some more spinal breathing will actually smooth things out.

Shanti

Kechari problems
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 04:40:07 AM »
Hi Tom,
I think it was Kechari related. I tried it this morning again.. I started off without kechari but as soon as I started kechari.. the heat just quadruples... and then meditation is soooooo deep. I am sort of scared and excited to think what will happen when I do enter the nasal passage. [:0]

Victor

Kechari problems
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006, 06:02:15 AM »
Maybe my meditation doesn't go deep enough or maybe i am just used to it but in my experience it is not such a huge leap as some have been describing. perhaps may have to do with the newness of the experience and the effort involved in getting there. Kechari certainly helps me meditate but has gotten to feel pretty routine at this point so I think the dramatic experiences should fade with regular practice as you get used to the energetic shifts.

breathe

Kechari problems
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 07:03:52 AM »
Hi Shanti,
That's really interesting! Keep me informed as it progresses. It is clearly doing something very powerful. I have not had any heat. Meg seems to be having a lot in her feet. It doesn't sound too pleasant, but at least it demonstrates very clearly that something out of the ordinary is going on with these practices. Victor could be right and it will even out afer some time. You could simply be having a big breakthrough. If it is too uncomfortable just back off for a while.

Scott

Kechari problems
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »
Heat is just purification...I hope everyone's clear on that.  If not, people could start reading this and do kechari just for the heat...and possibly not ever experience any!  That would get pretty confusing.  I hope everyone is clear on what they're seeking, in doing these practices.  Enlightenment!

Shweta,

Here's a tidbit about purification from the Hatha Yoga Pradipika:

"12. In the beginning there is perspiration, in the middle stage there is quivering, and in the last or third stage, one obtains steadiness; and then the breath should be made steady or motionless.

13. The perspiration exuding from exertion of practice should be rubbed into the body (and not wiped), as by so doing the body becomes strong.

14. During the first stage of practice the food consisting of milk and ghee is wholesome. When the practice becomes established, no such restriction is necessary."

- From Book II : Pranayama

So you being showered in your own sweat and shaking will end up passing.  Rubbing your sweat back in, and drinking milk and consuming ghee is up to you, although I think it'd be good to do those things.  It can't hurt, right?  In my experience, it helps the purifications pass quicker.

Also, I don't suggest backing off!  Unless in your daily life you notice that you're being way too flakey or emotional...or you have ongoing heat, like Meg has.  Purification isn't a sign to self pace...things that mess with your day to day life are.  At least that's my view on the issue.

It's good that your meditation was waaaaaaaay deep, but it's better when you take that deepness into your daily life...when the world begins to unite as one thing in your mind.  Then you're always meditating, without trying.  You can't help it.  You get absorbed in everything, like watching a great movie where you forget about everything but what's going on in it.  This is one-pointedness.

Someone could have the deepest samadhi when they sit for twenty minutes, but if it isn't integrated with going through your day, what use is it?  You come out and are still in delusion.  I'm quite sure this is where Yogani's up and coming Self-enquiry book will take us.  To enlightenment!

Anyway, sorry I'm giving advice to you long time AYP folks.  I apologize if you know all of this already, and I'm just coming off as a "look at me I know everything" type.  We're all on the same path, and I haven't yet reached the end...so I assure you I don't know it all...I'm just trying to help.

-Scott

Shanti

Kechari problems
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 09:40:19 AM »
Hi Scott,
Thank you so much. Your help is very much appreciated. Even when we do know stuff.. its always good to be reminded of the basics..
Yes, heat is purification, if the energy does not interfere with my every day life, I don't need to self pace. I knew those two. Thanks for reminding me though..[:)]

The reason I said I may have to back off (which I did not do of course.. because I tried it this morning again [:p]) was my hands and legs were shaking later on, and I was really light headed for a bit.
Ok, about the rubbing, I could try  that. ghee.. my favorite.. will have to make some.. milk.. [xx(]... sorry.

Meditation is waaaaaaay deep.. the bad part of this is.. it takes forever to get out of it... and if I hurry.. I get groggy and disoriented. Ahhhhh! but I love that deep feeling, I hate coming out of meditation.. and I think I do have that silence with me all day..

This was very sweet Scott.. please do not hesitate to give more advice.. [:)]
-Shweta

PS: Thanks a lot for "tidbit about purification from the Hatha Yoga Pradipika:" That was really good.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 09:52:39 AM by Shanti »

Scott

Kechari problems
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 10:00:55 AM »
Shweta,

You're very welcome.

But you don't like milk?  What kind of yogini are you!?  Just kidding of course...  Swami Sivananda said it's the perfect food.  However, I don't think it's as perfect when bought from the grocery store nowadays.  Check this out: http://www.realmilk.com/

Also, I think you would like Charu for a day time snack...

"Charu: A preparation of boiled rice, milk, sugar and ghee, to be offered into the fire for gods; a sattvic dietary regimen usually taken by yoga-practitioners and celibates."
- From http://www.atmajyoti.org/sw_role_diet_sex_control.asp

The reason I say day time...eating before bed messes with your sleep and thus your health.

"I think I do have that silence with me all day.."

Of course you do, the Lord always watches over us [;)].  The more we empty ourselves (by making our attention singular) the more we know that...the more silence there is.

You know this stuff already.[:)]

-Scott

Victor

Kechari problems
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 01:23:55 PM »
Charu sounds  delicious!