Author Topic: How Do Christians Deal With Kundalini Awakening?  (Read 18356 times)

parvati9

How Do Christians Deal With Kundalini Awakening?
« on: August 08, 2013, 04:47:26 AM »
Christianity is the world's largest religion.  Nearly 1/3 of the world is Christian.  Is it possible almost one out of three people experiencing k awakening is Christian?  How do Christians come to terms with their energetic awakening?  Do they feel there is nowhere within the church to go for support?  And if they have found support within their local churches - has the information provided been accurate and sufficient?  Are they given what is needed for successful integration of the experience?  

Godslave asked a very good question in the excellent thread topic Kundalini and Christ consciousness:  "How are Christ consciousness and kundalini related?"

These questions, and others like them, beg to be answered.  While I count myself Christian, it is due to my love for the Lord, and not any affection for the religion itself.  So I'm wondering if anyone has answers to these questions.  Has there been dialogue on this subject?  Are the various denominations considering special kundalini classes and/or counseling for those in their congregations experiencing spontaneous k awakening?  How is this need being met?  

My own research has led me to believe that accurate k info is hard to come by.  If that is true, then how are pastors and Christian spiritual leaders able to provide adequate support to those Christians experiencing spontaneous k awakening?  It would be wonderful if Christian pastors are drawing from their own k experience in order to provide assistance to others with k awakening.  In the near future, this may be the norm.  But it isn't the norm now.  So what is being done at this time to help Christians in need of support during their k awakening?  Your answers to these questions would be appreciated.

love
parvati

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:11:23 AM »
Hi Parvati,

I have asked about this as well... And received good answers directly from a monk and on the other hand from seeing how christian monks live.

The answer is simple... Working in the earth... Planting and gardening and using shuffles for digging... Hard work and a lot of karma yoga and service...

As for nuns... We have Saint Theresa of Avila as an example... Whom I've heard this story about her from a christian monk as well... He told me that she used to close the doors of the church in her monastery and dance the salsa in front of her lord (believe it or not[;)])

Also, some ask God's help in this I suppose... There is the prayer of the heart as well which was originally founded by Saint Anthony the great... Practicing a similar form of prayer myself... I find this practice to be very self pacing and relieves a lot of the energy from the head and pulls to the heart vacuum... But this practice shouldn't be repeated like a parrot... It has to have presence and meaning... This way it is fruitful... Otherwise I've found it to be an element of imbalance.

Hope this helps[/\]

Love,
Ananda

jeff

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:30:26 AM »
Hi Parvati,

The mystical part of Christianity is something that has always existed, but is rarely discussed openly in current times. I have found some very knowledgable Catholic priests. Rather than describing it as kundalini, it is often just called the power of the Holy Spirit.

There are also many very strong gnostic Christian traditions that deal with kundalini and the energy body in general.  As an example, take a look at the link below.

http://www.sophian.org/

Also, I highly recommend Tau Malachi's book, "Gnosis of a Cosmic Christ". I think you will like it very much if you can get past all of Jewish terms.

Best wishes,
Jeff
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:31:51 AM by jeff »

parvati9

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 08:42:22 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

Hi Parvati,

I have asked about this as well... And received good answers directly from a monk and on the other hand from seeing how christian monks live.

The answer is simple... Working in the earth... Planting and gardening and using shuffles for digging... Hard work and a lot of karma yoga and service...

As for nuns... We have Saint Theresa of Avila as an example... Whom I've heard this story about her from a christian monk as well... He told me that she used to close the doors of the church in her monastery and dance the salsa in front of her lord (believe it or not[;)])

Also, some ask God's help in this I suppose... There is the prayer of the heart as well which was originally founded by Saint Anthony the great... Practicing a similar form of prayer myself... I find this practice to be very self pacing and relieves a lot of the energy from the head and pulls to the heart vacuum... But this practice shouldn't be repeated like a parrot... It has to have presence and meaning... This way it is fruitful... Otherwise I've found it to be an element of imbalance.

Hope this helps[/\]

Love,
Ananda

Hi Ananda

Physical exertion (including dancing), working in the earth, and service are all excellent grounding activities.  Do your Christian monk friends discuss their k awakening with each other, or is it something personal they keep to themselves?  And do you know if they have any relevant books that may cover kundalini in the monastery library?  Also, I'll try to learn more about St. Anthony the great's prayer of the heart.  Thanks for the post.  

love
parvati

parvati9

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:20:31 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

Hi Parvati,

The mystical part of Christianity is something that has always existed, but is rarely discussed openly in current times. I have found some very knowledgable Catholic priests. Rather than describing it as kundalini, it is often just called the power of the Holy Spirit.

There are also many very strong gnostic Christian traditions that deal with kundalini and the energy body in general.  As an example, take a look at the link below.

http://www.sophian.org/

Also, I highly recommend Tau Malachi's book, "Gnosis of a Cosmic Christ". I think you will like it very much if you can get past all of Jewish terms.

Best wishes,
Jeff

Hi Jeff

Your comment helped to sort my concerns.  It would be really nice to think I've gone beyond fear, but apparently not.  Here are some of my concerns..
If a young Christian person, say in their late teens or early twenties, is experiencing a k awakening, how will it be dealt with by their families, their local church, and the community in which they live?  Of course it is the power of the Holy Spirit, but it's a very specific aspect of that power.  Will it be treated as a hush-hush subject like out-of-wedlock pregnancy?  Will it tend to dishonor the young person's family?

So these things are rarely discussed openly in current times - why - because they are embarrassing?  Is it because kundalini is a taboo subject for mainstream Christians?  These are troubling questions for me.  What is especially bothering is the fact that these beautiful souls may be dismissed for being too radical and nonconformist, or treated as heretics and outcasts.  They may be disowned by their families and communities, or worse, persuaded to undergo invasive therapies and procedures (possibly exorcism) to correct the problem.  And that would be a tragedy due to the unnecessary pain it would cause.

The Sophian website, for some reason, crashes my browser so I'll try to access it on another computer.  Thanks for your post.

love
parvati

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by parvati9

quote:

Hi Parvati,

Hope this helps[/\]

Love,
Ananda

Hi Ananda

Physical exertion (including dancing), working in the earth, and service are all excellent grounding activities.  Do your Christian monk friends discuss their k awakening with each other, or is it something personal they keep to themselves?  And do you know if they have any relevant books that may cover kundalini in the monastery library?  Also, I'll try to learn more about St. Anthony the great's prayer of the heart.  Thanks for the post.  

love
parvati

I really don't know if they discuss it or not among each other... As well sorry but I don't know of any books. Saint Theresa talks about the mystical states in her autobiography but no detailed kundalini talk as far as I know.

Love,
Ananda

Will Power

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:22:56 PM »
I think that depends in the christian tradition (catholic, orthodox...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOGXdLoNl2w

Around minute 4:27-5:00 Elder Cleopa says about spinal cord being on fire! Perhaps if you are finally going to say it in your community you can show the video first and then say your case. That only if you think that it will be a good idea and will help you.

But there are many here in the forums that dealt with it successfully, so it's your decision to tell your community or not.

parvati9

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:44:35 AM »
quote:
I really don't know if they discuss it or not among each other... As well sorry but I don't know of any books. Saint Theresa talks about the mystical states in her autobiography but no detailed kundalini talk as far as I know.

Love,
Ananda

Thanks for the reply Ananda.

love
parvati

parvati9

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 01:03:18 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Will Power

I think that depends in the christian tradition (catholic, orthodox...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOGXdLoNl2w

Around minute 4:27-5:00 Elder Cleopa says about spinal cord being on fire! Perhaps if you are finally going to say it in your community you can show the video first and then say your case. That only if you think that it will be a good idea and will help you.

But there are many here in the forums that dealt with it successfully, so it's your decision to tell your community or not.

Hi Will Power

Thanks for the comment and link.  Showing an appropriate video is a good idea.  Also referencing Gopi Krishna's book(s) would probably be helpful.

love
parvati

jeff

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 01:09:11 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by parvati9

Hi Jeff

Your comment helped to sort my concerns.  It would be really nice to think I've gone beyond fear, but apparently not.  Here are some of my concerns..
If a young Christian person, say in their late teens or early twenties, is experiencing a k awakening, how will it be dealt with by their families, their local church, and the community in which they live?  Of course it is the power of the Holy Spirit, but it's a very specific aspect of that power.  Will it be treated as a hush-hush subject like out-of-wedlock pregnancy?  Will it tend to dishonor the young person's family?

So these things are rarely discussed openly in current times - why - because they are embarrassing?  Is it because kundalini is a taboo subject for mainstream Christians?  These are troubling questions for me.  What is especially bothering is the fact that these beautiful souls may be dismissed for being too radical and nonconformist, or treated as heretics and outcasts.  They may be disowned by their families and communities, or worse, persuaded to undergo invasive therapies and procedures (possibly exorcism) to correct the problem.  And that would be a tragedy due to the unnecessary pain it would cause.

The Sophian website, for some reason, crashes my browser so I'll try to access it on another computer.  Thanks for your post.

love
parvati

Hi Parvati,

I think bad advice on Kundalini is common in all tradions (not just Christianity). And while I would agree that mainstream Christianity tends to avoid and maybe fear mystical aspects, I think that unlike in the past there is now easy access through the Internet to the information. Sites like AYP (and others), offer resources for someone with kundalini that did not exist in the past.

In my own case, my esoteric path started when my head started vibrating in my early forties. I would have probably thought it was a brain tumor, but the vibrations came with a power sense of peace. Being a Midwestern Christian, I immediately started searching the web.I quickly found some good and helpful sites.  Only much later did I think to possibly discuss it with my pastor.

Also, i think that the mystical aspects of the Christian tradion can be found in the church itself (but I agree that you have to look pretty hard). Below is a post in another forum by someone who has discussed this broader topic with a Christian monk. The monk directly compares their experience with their Buddhist monk "brothers".

http://thetaobums.com/topic/30995-insights-from-a-christian-monk-esoteric-christianity-as-a-legit-path/

Best wishes,
Jeff

parvati9

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 02:59:32 AM »
Some Christians will find their way to AYP especially if they like yoga.  And once they do, many of them will be fine.  But what of the others?  All replies received thus far are much appreciated.  Until yesterday when the topic was initiated, it hadn't been given much thought i.e., how mainstream Christianity was dealing with k awakening.

My own path veers considerably away from the mainstream.  In my opinion, Eastern religions generally have more to offer than conventional Christianity.  For example, the bible was an unfathomable enigma until, as a young adult, I began exploring Eastern religions.  The same themes reoccur in different ways in the various religions.  These more or less universal themes are ancient and over time have often become skewed or corrupted.  It was found helpful to approach the basic themes from a variety of viewpoints and perspectives, thereby getting in touch with the core principles upon which they are based.  To me, this is a sensible open-minded approach.

There has been strong resistance to the label of New Age as applied to me by fundamentalist Christians.  New Age usually doesn't resonate any better than the conventional approach.  For me, New Age woo is often not much of an improvement over the conventional ideology and dogma, although I will concede that it does have something valuable to offer.  

It is being assumed until ascertained otherwise, that kundalini awakening is primarily classified in two ways by the conventional church authorities:  Either 1)it is considered in the realm of Christian mysticism or 2)it is dealt with under the term New Age.  From my point of view, it is a mistake either way.

For the challenges of k awakening to be successfully overcome, the whole situation needs to be handled with sensitivity, clarity, intelligence, compassion...and above all...needs be brought out into the light of day.  As opposed to possibly being shrouded in shame, kept hidden and undiscussed, or only rarely discussed and in secret.  If Christian leaders are to exercise wisdom in their confrontation of the issue, they will need to develop some expertise on the matter.  And that will not be easy, even if their hearts are willing, due to the prevalence of misinformation on the subject.

Because I dislike dwelling on the negative and thinking about what I don't want... my perspective has shifted toward the positive and thinking about what I do want.  In this case, it requires vast prayer and the request of siddhis from the absolute.  As well as being my new research project, it is estimated that one of the most effective ways of bringing about a constructive solution to this issue, is prayer.

Last night I was engaged in prayer with the absolute for about an hour.  In the beginning necessary siddhis or miracles were requested to bring about what is a beneficial result.  All kinds of seminars, workshops, training sessions for k counselors, guest lectures, topical sermons, encouragement of those with k experience to come forward and speak about it, dissemination of flyers and pamphlets and wise pastors empowered to take action as needed for a proper resolution of the issue... were visualized during the prayer.

For the remainder of the period, my sincere gratitude was offered for the grace of god working through wise and compassionate Christians living their lives in service to the divine.  It was realized to be only a matter of time before the good example of a few will be emulated by the majority.  So my prayer request is that it should happen sooner rather than later, and thanks are given for the divine arranging these elements, bringing them together, and putting it all into place in terms of 3D physical reality.

love
parvati

parvati9

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 03:47:42 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jeff

Hi Parvati,

I think bad advice on Kundalini is common in all tradions (not just Christianity). And while I would agree that mainstream Christianity tends to avoid and maybe fear mystical aspects, I think that unlike in the past there is now easy access through the Internet to the information. Sites like AYP (and others), offer resources for someone with kundalini that did not exist in the past.

In my own case, my esoteric path started when my head started vibrating in my early forties. I would have probably thought it was a brain tumor, but the vibrations came with a power sense of peace. Being a Midwestern Christian, I immediately started searching the web.I quickly found some good and helpful sites.  Only much later did I think to possibly discuss it with my pastor.

Also, i think that the mystical aspects of the Christian tradion can be found in the church itself (but I agree that you have to look pretty hard). Below is a post in another forum by someone who has discussed this broader topic with a Christian monk. The monk directly compares their experience with their Buddhist monk "brothers".

http://thetaobums.com/topic/30995-insights-from-a-christian-monk-esoteric-christianity-as-a-legit-path/

Best wishes,
Jeff

Thanks for the valuable and thoughtful post.  The provided link looks excellent, will give it more attention later, only had time to skim through it.  Also will try to obtain the Tau Malachi book you suggested earlier.  For some time now there has been concern about the bad k advice so often given to clueless people who desperately need accurate information in order to successfully integrate their k awakening.  But it is what it is.  Half of me is idealist and the other half realist.  It is only since k started awakening that these two halves are working together harmoniously and efficiently.  For which I am very grateful to Shakti and her incredible, if difficult, training.  Remember your computer analogy in the other thread?  This etheric networking between people serving on behalf of the divine - it is delicate and subtle but also powerful and effective[;)]

love
parvati

parvati9

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:29:04 AM »

The following excerpt is from an informative and lengthy interview by Jim Arraj with Philip St. Romain, a Christian who has experienced k awakening and also written a book about his experience.  

"If I had introduced panic thoughts into the process, I could have really been in very bad shape.  If I would have gotten stuck in some judgment about what was happening, it could have been a mess.  My saving grace through the whole thing was to just step out of the way and let it happen without saying this is good or bad ....... So by the spring of '88 I was into the literature on kundalini, and trying at the same time to just honor the process, letting it happen, without being negative or judgmental about it.  Just letting it do whatever it is going to do... It is a whole transformation process, organic and otherwise, that kicks in, and it is good to be able to know about it (laughs) if it is going on in your body, in your life."

www.innerexplorations.com/catew/6.htm

love
parvati

parvati9

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 01:40:11 AM »

The following is basically a summary of the discussion points so far plus some common sense reasoning.  It is advised, whatever route(s) are chosen, that discretion and discernment be employed accordingly.  Perhaps later more options will be added to the list and/or those on the list will be explored in more detail.  At the moment these appear to be the options available to Christians experiencing k awakening:

1) Consider talking to (or becoming) Christian monk, as well as their sister counterpart, about k awakening.  See if the autobiography of St. Theresa of Avila is helpful.

2) Read the available literature on gnostic and Christian mysticism.

3) Read from New Age sources (which is somewhat dicey b/c one may encounter hear-say and inaccuracy).

4) Research YouTube, other online videos, and online info on k.

5) Ask friends for advice (in my case friends weren't helpful and they admitted to being clueless)

6) Pray for help

7) Rely on intuition (this needs be done in any event)

8) Read the bible for references about living water, baptism of the Holy Spirit, the very high esteem in which Jesus regarded the Holy Spirit, and other applicable bible passages.  Determine for yourself if k awakening is the Holy Spirit moving in your body and in your life.

love
parvati

parvati9

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 09:48:31 AM »
This is Philip St. Romain's forum.  There is a section for Kundalini Issues and Spiritual Emergencies.  In that subforum, the discussion seems to focus primarily upon Christian oriented k awakening, however the participants come from a diverse range of spiritual backgrounds.

www.shalomplace.org/eve/forums

love
parvati