Author Topic: Mayurasana (peacock pose)  (Read 909 times)

Alvin Chan

Mayurasana (peacock pose)
« on: March 26, 2006, 12:20:29 AM »
Hi all,

Anyone doing Mayurasana (peacock pose) regularly here? Trying to improve my digestive function (which is not very good), I added Mayurasana last week for 3 days, in the morning for around 30 seconds. About the same time I started to feel exhausted all the day. Don't know if Mayurasana is the cause.... I stopped then for a few days.

Anyone with anything to share here? If the exhausting effects is really due to Mayurasana, is it just a short-term effect? Perhaps an increased detoxification which the body is not used to?

Alvin

Victor

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 04:31:02 AM »
It is a very strenous pose for sure. If you can do lotus pose you may find it easier to do in lotus. either way it is a strength building pose so like any strength training takes time to build the stamina

Alvin Chan

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 04:21:56 PM »
After I do it for a while, my arms get really tired. But the feeling which I had al the day doesn't feel like muscles fatigue. Rather, it is  a kind of exhaustion from the inside out , and at all levels: physical, mental, and psychological. I felt drained mentally! Fears and depression came suddenly, too. This could also be due to some kundalini stimulating practices, as I was also doing nauli and navi kriya around the same time.

Victor

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 06:06:53 PM »
Well Alvin all that I can say is that in your enthusiasm you are doing many powerful practices at once and so it becomes impossible to tell what is creating which reaction. I would remember self pacing and pace yourself for the long haul and not overdo at any given time.

bliss_

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:12:46 PM »
Alvin where did you read that Mayurasana improves digestion?

Alvin Chan

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 11:35:42 PM »
May be I shouldn't mention that in such way as if it is proved.

From Satyananda's "Asana pranayama mudra bundha" (um.....forgot the order [:D]), it was supposed to be good for the liver and may be kidneys, so it's mainly for detoxication rather than digestion.... But as the live also produces bile, which is important in digestion, I made a deduction that it may help with digestion.

By the way, I can now hold for 40 seconds to one minute with no adverse effects except tired arms. But I don't do it most of the days.

Victor

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 04:04:52 AM »
Mayurasana is a pose that compresses the entire abdominal region so it would have the effect of squeezing the liver and kidneys thus stimu;ating their blood circulation and drainage. That could also have to do with your feeling of deep inner fatigue until the practice becomes stronger. That fatigue could be an indication of an abdominal or digestive weakness that would hopefully clear up as the practice itself becomes easier. Just speculating of course but it makes sense.

Alvin Chan

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 03:12:27 AM »
Mayurasana doesn't tired me globally now. Just feel tired in my arms which is normal. But it's a pitty that I can't practice it much now, may be just 1 minute per week!

Some sharings from the point of view of mechanics (with some personal interviews to support the adequacy of the simple scientific model): for those who are stronger and heavier (relatively) in the upper body,  Mayurasana with lotus pose wouldn't not make so much difference. (although it's usually still easier to hold it in lotus). Otherwise, women or anyone who is stronger in the lower parts (e.g. have strong and heavy legs) will find it much easier to hold Mayurasana in lotus.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 02:15:39 PM by Alvin Chan »