Author Topic: Asanas for "third eye"?  (Read 1079 times)

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Asanas for "third eye"?
« on: March 02, 2006, 02:08:56 AM »
I wanted to ask Jim and Victor, our resident Iyengar experts, which poses are designed to focus and work on the ajna chakra?

I have been doing head-stands, inspired by your posts on that a couple of weeks back and could feel a powerful affect on the crown.

Any recommendations?

Anthem

Jim and His Karma

Asanas for "third eye"?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 05:50:23 AM »
There are indeed ways to use asanas to work on chakras (if done with a VERY good teacher in a VERY close relationship). But this is really really far astray from AYP. And AYP works great and won't hurt you. So I just use asana for exercise and general loosening up. AYP works on my chakras just fine.

Victor

Asanas for "third eye"?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 07:39:25 PM »
I reccomend Siddhasana combined with kechari, mula bandha and shambhavi mudra

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Asanas for "third eye"?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 12:21:45 AM »
Good points Victor! I am doing those currently and find them extremely effective. Dynamic jalandra, and yoni mudra kumbhaka obviously can take it to the next level for direct targeting of the third eye too.

I was enquiring more in the non-sitting practices way though and was thinking more in regards to some of the inverted asanas I am starting to explore. Just as we do asanas for more of a physical approach to clearing out blockages and purifying nadis etc. prior to sitting practices and after noticing the affects of head-stand, I was thinking hand-stand or elbow balance where we seem to be looking more at the ground would be asanas that target this area, what do you think?

Can you think of any others?

Thanks

A

Victor

Asanas for "third eye"?
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 06:14:26 AM »
I guess me answer was just a little snappy because I believe that we have all that we need right here. Asana is very good for vitality, flexibility, balance and health. I have no obseved however anyone who specifically practiced only asana to have any significant spiritual or third eye opening benefits. As a matter of fact the most specific and focused practices for that are found right here in AYP in my opinion so thats why I answered the way that I did. It is pranayama and deep meditation rather than asana practice that works on those levels although asana such as headstand can certainly be very supportive to developing strength, stamina and balance.

Alvin Chan

Asanas for "third eye"?
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 01:49:18 AM »
In addition to what's in AYP, the following are recommended for the Ajna Chakra in the Kriya yoga tradition taught by Satyananda:

1.Anuloma Viloma pranayama with Prana Shuddhi
2.Trataka

However, I don't think modern people with a normal life would bother to do that much.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 02:23:51 AM by Alvin Chan »