Author Topic: How do I become more flexible?  (Read 4691 times)

HathaTeacher

How do I become more flexible?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 06:30:05 AM »
Don't forget backbends in your program. Practice opposite bends before and after Paschimottanasana. THe longer the sustain, the slower the entry and the exit (release).

Aging makes forward bends easier, so people often concentrate on those as years go by, but bending in a variety of ways keeps the spine younger.

Radharani

• http://www.francisandclareyoga.org
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »
I agree with Maheswari and HathaTeacher.  First, it's not about getting the pose perfect; it's about awareness.  You may be surprised to know that it doesn't actually matter how far you can stretch.  It is how the pose makes you FEEL inside.  Extend your awareness into that tight muscle; don't fight it, just feel it.  Secondly, the breath is the key.  In HOY, the system that I teach, although not in AYP, we use ujjayi breath along with the asanas.  But even if you are not using ujjayi breath, it is crucial to let the breath guide the movement.  Think of it as the breath moving the body.  On reaching up or back, we inhale deeply.  On bending forward we exhale completely (and in more advance work the bandhas come into play).  We do not push the asana beyond what the breath will comfortably allow; if the breath becomes short or ragged, you've gone too far.  Continue to breathe deeply and relax into the posture.  Think of breathing into the tight muscles.  When your awareness is really focused this becomes incredibly pleasurable, even ecstatic; asana becomes a form of meditation (or depending on your orientation, prayer) with the whole body.  And that is the whole point - not whether or not you can reach your foot.  As you continue to practice you will indeed become more flexible.  But don't look at it as a "goal" to be reached; rather, ENJOY your practice in the moment!  (of course the other suggestions on diet, herbs, etc. are also useful)

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2012, 09:35:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Kahlia

quote:
Originally posted by markern

Yin yoga by Paul Griley and insight yoga/yin yang yoga with Sarah Powers are great for this. THe point being that teh stretches are always five minutes or longer and you only relax into the elongation you do not feel much or any discomfort while stretching. THis is supposed to give quicker results than regular yoga stretches and be healthier as well. I love the book by powers. Grileys is nice too.

Yin yoga is fantastic- my favorite [|)]

Thanks Markern and Kahlia,
VERY interesting. I looked up Grilley's site

http://www.paulgrilley.com/

and there are video clips from "Anatomy for Yoga" of him talking about how different physiologies change yoga postures. I love it!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:37:26 AM by Etherfish »

HathaTeacher

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2012, 09:31:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Radharani
...don't fight it, just feel it.
Secondly, the breath is the key.  (...) crucial to let the breath guide the movement.  Think of it as the breath moving the body.  (...) Think of breathing into the tight muscles.
(...) becomes a form of meditation
(...) you will indeed become more flexible. But don't look at it as a "goal" to be reached; rather, ENJOY

Spot on.
'njoy!

maheswari

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »
dear Radha
it is amazing how HOY is exactly like Sivananda yoga....we teach asanas exactly like you described in your post...

quote:
On reaching up or back, we inhale deeply. On bending forward we exhale completely
We do not push the asana
Think of breathing into the tight muscles.
asana becomes a form of meditation

but ujjayi is not used in asanas...nor bandhas

the breath takes you to the pose[:)]
and reaching the toes can  or can not happen...it is not really the goal
Love[:)]

whippoorwill

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2012, 12:47:31 PM »
Thanks for the link, Ether!  I just ordered the video...

Etherfish

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »
Yes, I want to get anatomy and "yin yoga" also; he says popular yoga emphasizes stretching muscles, but yin is about connective tissues like ligaments and tendons. The poses are held a long time. Sounds interesting.

Etherfish

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
I got a book, "Prasara Yoga" ("Flow beyond Thought") by Scott Sonnon. So far it has very good information about flexibility that I have never read before. I don't do asanas, but am very interested in flexibility, and the concept of flow beyond thought.
It has much in common with Grilley. He says you are only as young as your connective tissues and spine. Conventional athletic stretching can be harmful, and he teaches to flow through a maximum stretch point, combining silence in action with functionality.

I am reading this because I'm trying to find where inner motivation for movement comes from.

Radharani

• http://www.francisandclareyoga.org
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

dear Radha
it is amazing how HOY is exactly like Sivananda yoga....we teach asanas exactly like you described in your post...

quote:
On reaching up or back, we inhale deeply. On bending forward we exhale completely
We do not push the asana
Think of breathing into the tight muscles.
asana becomes a form of meditation

but ujjayi is not used in asanas...nor bandhas

the breath takes you to the pose[:)]
and reaching the toes can  or can not happen...it is not really the goal
Love[:)]

Yes, the approach is VERY similar!  Which is part of why I recommended to Mark that he include you in his Peace Project.  Still have not heard anything back regarding that...

Now as to the differences, yes, in HOY we use ujjayi with asana; we are among the only school to do that.  Also, we receive the inhalation from above and exhale from below, which as far as I know, nobody else does.  

As for the bandhas, Krishnamacharya points out that some asanas create bandha automatically; the more advanced students take conscious advantage of this.  E.g., doing mulabandha and uddiyana bandha upon exhale while in mahamudra is quite ecstatic...  [:)]  But I should point out, these are not AYP practices (the type of breathing and bandhas with asana).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:48:50 AM by Radharani »

img

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 03:46:46 AM »
HathaTeacher, I have a question about turmeric and fenugreek, about the benefits of which you informed us in an earlier post.
I often make dhal, but still need to find another way of getting 1-2 tsp of turmeric a day. Ditto for fenugreek.
Could you please share ways in which one could take the required amount? (e.g. what to mix with, in what proportion, etc.)
I am going to the spice shop tomorrow and will buy massive bags of turmeric and fenugreek. [:D]

Etherfish

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 05:21:23 AM »
Turmeric is great in rice dishes and macaroni and cheese.

HathaTeacher

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 06:01:47 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Turmeric is great in rice dishes and macaroni and cheese.

as well as in soups, ratatouille, sauces, dressings, Indian sag recipes, etc.

I use 1-2 tsp. of it instead of cocoa or coffee - just a very short boil, then add instant vegan "milk" powder (made of buckwheat, rice, or oats). Some people complain that's a bit bitter but I got used to it quickly (as did my Shakti), and those milk imitations are usually a bit sweetened anyway which levels the tastes off.

Fenugreek is difficult to make tasty, but both the soaked seeds and the mucilage in  the water (after soaking overnight) are good spingtime purifiers.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:23:52 AM by HathaTeacher »

img

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 06:29:49 AM »
I am a bit concerned about turmeric's drying effect. I think I have an ayurvedic handbook somewhere that says not to use turmeric on its own, lists good combinations of spices and explains why. I'll try to find this writeup and post what it says.
Have you come across such things? How long have you been using turmeric on its own? Do you have any adverse effects?
How to the positive effects manifest themselves?
Thank you.

HathaTeacher

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 01:35:15 AM »
Yes I drink it with meals,not on its own. Since 2005. It  reduced/almost eliminated inflamations, especially in bronchae and sinus - after a couple of months' use.
Side effects, as yet, apart from my dental hygienist wrongly suspecting me to be a smoker [:D][:D], are mostly "further research necessary"[:)]
so self-pacing is worthwhile ("food amounts", not "medical amounts")

"Nausea, gallbladder, slow blood clotting," according to www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-662-TURMERIC.aspx?activeIngredientId=662&activeIngredientName=TURMERIC
However, when I was operated on my hand 3 years ago (several stitches), I forgot to stop using turmeric 2 weeks before, but there was extremely little bleeding despite of that.

"Clinical studies in humans with high doses (2–12 grams) of curcumin have shown few side effects." according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curcumin#Potential_risks_and_side_effects

Looking forward to your link about recipe composition.[:p][:)]
Enjoy your meal.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:43:30 AM by HathaTeacher »

img

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 06:51:39 PM »
Hmm... Paul Grilley sends pretty unsettling vibes. Watch him move and speak - much tension in him. I would be reluctant to readily follow his advice.