Author Topic: How do I become more flexible?  (Read 4688 times)

woosa

How do I become more flexible?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 12:25:42 PM »
Hi

From reading from those two books they do believe that it is to do with the nervous system. It's all about the Golgi Tendon!

Also someone can train to kick so high that they are doing the splits, but if that same person sits and tries to do the splits they can not. The former is dynamic flexibility, the latter static flexibility.

So for instance a Yogi who is super flexible might not be very good at a spinning roundhouse kick to someones head. But I supposed it is just as well with Ahimsa!

I am guessing the nervous system is the gulity party in all this. But I don't know anything about sports physiology, or whatever all that stuff goes by. And I don't much care either!

I'm not bothered if its to do with my nervous system, or Daffy Duck's beak to be honest. As long as it works!

sagebrush

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »
Woosa-

this is probably your forum and not mine.

but is it absolutely necessary to make a statement about a roundhouse kick to someones head?

gee, if I thought you were referring to me- it would make me feel pretty sad/upset....

woosa

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 01:48:20 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by sagebrush

Woosa-

this is probably your forum and not mine.

but is it absolutely necessary to make a statement about a roundhouse kick to someones head?

gee, if I thought you were referring to me- it would make me feel pretty sad/upset....

I was only joking!

The hypothetical yogi in the post is too short to kick someone in the head anyhow. He would have to kick 'em in the ghoulies. [:D]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:34:50 PM by woosa »

sagebrush

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 01:54:29 AM »
good--joking can be helpful. sometimes I read into things so seriously and it was like I was visually seeing you roundhouse my head....

or wanting too....

I am not trying to control what you write or want to express..

making assumptions on what someone is trying to express can lead into problems....for me...

working on my own flexibility---but in a different way.

[:)]

mimirom

• http://www.youtube.com/user/mimirom
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 12:57:42 AM »
Hi,

I've had good results with increasing flexibility as a byproduct of in-depth experiential psychotherapy. Huge amounts of accumulated stress were rather dramatically released from my muscles and joints in a series of Holotropic breathwork sessions, leading to a considerable increase of overall flexibility. This was the beginning of my love affair with asana practice.[:)]

HathaTeacher

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 07:28:37 AM »
Hi Mimiron and Jono,

I agree breathing is really the key to it. You can start each yoga session with pranayama exercises, and finish in deep Savasana relaxation or in meditation.

Variations of some asanas can help you to find one that feels most viable to your own body. With some postures, exercising for example a couple of different ways of entering it makes you more confident and relaxed once you're there even when you enter it the difficult way.

Try vegetarian/Ayurvedic cooking, and consume 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric a day (also, soaked fenugreek for ladies).

In wintertime, drink Vatta-balancing aurvedic herb-tea blends. Gradually minimize or avoid toxins (coffee, alcohol, drugs, additives, meat etc.), white sugar, white wheat flour. Drink often, and as clean water as possible.

If you're in Western sports too, then:
- add swimming to your training (various strokes)
- in a yoga class, don't watch the others. No matter if the person next to you is an expert or an absolute beginner. Let your your inner go-getter or competition freak hibernate as soon as you're on the mat; go for awareness, patience, enjoyment. This is almost as key as the breathing.  

Last but not least - practise, and all will come ;-)
Enjoy !
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:33:15 AM by HathaTeacher »

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »
Here's what I know about stretching which I have been studying with experts for a couple years:

1) Always warm up the muscles first that you will stretch, or they won't go as far, and you can injure them.

2) Do stretches that you can relax into, preferably using gravity.

3) Hold them for 30 seconds or 45, come out of them, and repeat three times or more.

4) Skip days in between but you can alternate back and legs for example if you want to do something every day.
If you do the same stretch every day, you will not progress as fast.

5) Hold a stretch to the point of discomfort, but not pain, or it will slow down progress.

6) Lengthen and extend your whole body, arms, legs, back, neck as you do stretches to avoid pinching nerves.

7) Don't do ballistic, bouncing, or any quick movements if you want lasting results. The spinal column will initiate a stretch response without even going to the brain, which causes muscle contraction.
Bouncing creates small muscle tears that heal but leave scar tissue that is less flexible.

8) Balance your stretches. If you do backbends, do front bends too.

9) RELAX the muscles that you are stretching! In other words, be conscious of what muscles are tight when you are stretching, and try to relax them.

amoux

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 08:49:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by HathaTeacher

Try vegetarian/Ayurvedic cooking, and consume 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric a day (also, soaked fenugreek for ladies).

Really curious - why turmeric and soaked fenugreek?  Sounds intriguing.

HathaTeacher

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 07:07:12 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by amoux
Really curious - why turmeric and soaked fenugreek?  Sounds intriguing.

There are several ayurvedic spices with remarkable health effects; these 2 are useful for all 3 doshas, and Western medical research (US, Sweden, Switzerland) seems to focus on these.
Curcumine, the key substance in turmeric, is a powerful antioxidant. 1-2 teasp. of turmeric powder a day (boiled or in fried dishes) prevents inflamations (sinus, bronchae, muscles, joints) and some types of cancer.
Yogis use it mostly to keep joints flexible.

Fenugreek (both the seeds and the water after soaking overnight) is a purifier helping bile (gall) and liver, and a hormone-balancer for the female body.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:18:12 AM by HathaTeacher »

amoux

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »
Thanks, HathaTeacher.  [:)]

I have some turmeric in the house, so I'll give it a go and see if it helps my sore muscles and joints.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:14:05 AM by amoux »

Wafu

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 10:17:47 AM »
HathaTeacher, I must thank you for your tip about the turmeric. For anyone else here reading this, it seems to be a bona fide wonderdrug for sore joints!

I've had a sore knee for a little while now, and today after taking a teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of milk this morning it has felt better than it has done for a long time! I'd be interested to hear if anyone else could verify the effects of this, it seems almost miraculous to have taken effect so soon. Amoux, would you like to add anything? I do eat a little turmeric whenever I make dal once or twice a week, but only a pinch as opposed to a full tsp, not enough to feel the soothing effects perhaps.

Thanks once again [:)]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:35:02 AM by Wafu »

Kahlia

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 03:20:06 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by markern

Yin yoga by Paul Griley and insight yoga/yin yang yoga with Sarah Powers are great for this. THe point being that teh stretches are always five minutes or longer and you only relax into the elongation you do not feel much or any discomfort while stretching. THis is supposed to give quicker results than regular yoga stretches and be healthier as well. I love the book by powers. Grileys is nice too.

Yin yoga is fantastic- my favorite [|)]

viparitakarani33

• http://nosex12.wordpress.com/
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 03:08:49 AM »
Is it possible to stretch the hamstrings if you are over 30 years old? I mean... Right now I can touch my toes with my hands but I cannot put my head on my knees during Paschimottanasana.
I am willing to make the necessary effort but I want to know if at least is possible to put my head on my knees.
Thank you.

Victor

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 05:14:58 AM »
Of course it is possible to stretch when over 30. I decided to learn hanumanasana (splits) for my 50th birthday. I practiced twice a week and was able to make quite a bit of progress though not completely to the floor with comfort

whippoorwill

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 06:06:31 AM »
Yes, you can definitely become more flexible, even after age 30.  [:)]  I'm 39.

I find that gentle, persistent stretching has enormous benefits.  It really helps to go gently into the stretch, and then take a moment and really listen to the body.  Then gently put the attention on the uncomfortable areas.  I find that if I listen with the in-breath and then put attention on the area with the out-breath, it works even better.  And now that I'm doing asanas every day (well, nearly every day) those tight areas are slowly relaxing and the posture is slowly improving.

I can do the splits with the left leg in front.  I can't quite get down all the way with the right leg in front, but I can get pretty darn close.  And my hips are sloooowwwly starting to turn out a bit more.  I'm knock-kneed and pigeon toed.  Sitting cross-legged is still something of a challenge.  Siddhasana is out of reach at the moment, but I'm getting there.   [:)]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:14:05 AM by whippoorwill »