Author Topic: Asanas (heat) and AYP  (Read 1374 times)

Ananda

• http://www.ayparabia.com/
Asanas (heat) and AYP
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:18:35 AM »
Namaskar

I've took an Ashtanga vinyasa yoga class today and it was one hell of a ride (amazing heat on the inside and a good workout) and it had some direct and delicious effects on the flow of kundalini in me to the extent where i signed in for 10 classes then and there.

The thing is that it's too much than what's recommended here at AYP and doesn't seem quite fit to be before my daily AYP sessions. It seems best if it's done after because of the sweat but i really can't tell yet if the heat behind the sweating is going to have some self pacing effects or delayed overloading symptoms... what's amazing about the heat is that it's making the blood being boil inside with delicious ecstasy...

would appreciate any feedback or pointers from people who are experienced on the subject of asanas and AYP.

Love
Ananda

tadeas

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:11:50 AM »
Hi Ananda,

the ashtanga vinyasa series are great sequences. I used to do AYP & daily ashtanga vinyasa series for about a year and a half. I used to do it after sittings or at some other time during the day. I found out it was way too agressive in combination with AYP. A young body certainly likes to work the way ashtanga vinyasa makes it work :) but as a regular practice it caused a long-term overload for me. Nothing unmanageable though, silence manages everything :)

My asana routine now is quite intuitive, I do some more things than prescribed in AYP. I haven't lost any flexibility since stopping regular ashtanga vinyasa - on the contrary. I found that doing samyama on asanas while doing them is great. Strength can be also developed if you use bandhas in a bit more physical than energetic way. I work more on balancing poses, handstands, backbends, etc. not as forceful as ashtanga.

Btw a lot of the people doing ashtanga vinyasa that I've met could use a bit of a formal meditation practice. If one is near an energetic awakening, this type of routine done on a daily basis can send you over the edge, which I don't think many of the instructors realize. So maybe there are some future AYPers near you! :)

Don't know what else you'd like to know. If you're interested, ask me :)

Ananda

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »
Hey Bro[:)], thank you for writing and sharing about your experience... i signed up for 10 classes so i'll give the practices a chance and self pace accordingly maybe practice ashtanga every two or three days...

concerning kundalini shakti and overloading symptoms for that matter i've met only two guys here in Leb one in his late forties and practices TM and suffered great deal because of kundalini and the other is my cousin whom i taught AYP and is riding a smooth ride filled with too much scenery than usual.

Other yoga practitioners and teachers over here haven't even heard of the term overload and think of kundalini as a symbol...

Anyways let's go crazy and share: every time i used to want to go to a hatha yoga school and establish myself in mastering asanas the inner guru would say not this not this... and yes crazy me listens to him and acts on instructions and believe it or not he or she or it is pretty real and always delivers but i don't always listen...

but when it came to Ashtanga, when i heard about this school i don't know what happened but something over here clicked and i felt attracted like this is where i belong and when i was approaching the school the inner guru didn't say anything except go go go and things worked like they usually do when i am pulled toward being committed to a spiritual work they worked fast and factors beyond me went into the play.

So yes maybe the guru in me and you is taking me over there because i might be needed there and maybe not who knows...

Love
Ananda

HathaTeacher

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 03:13:35 AM »
Namaste Ananda,
On the plus side, the well-thought-through sequencing of asanas (enhancing each other in a chain) certainly speeds up one's progress.

On the down side, most Astanga Vinyasa teachers are obsessed by asana at the expense of pranayama, full-fledged bandha, cleansing kriya, mudra and meditation. With some students, it also seems unsafe to postpone technically challenging asanas such as inversions until the Finishing series at the very end of the lesson when their muscles are exhausted and short of water.
Astanga Vinyasa in the West lacks the 40 - 60 years' tradition of practice found in some other flavors of yoga here; that results in too many inexperienced, recently-graduated, not too confident teachers who follow the series quite slavishly, but IMHO it makes more sense to make yoga an individual practice. Therefore, I try to attend astanga wokshops by teachers who have practiced yoga for several decades and who have a wider frame of reference (not astanga only). I agree on sequencing but disagree on one size fits all, no point in being pushed by force into lotus before being "allowed" to do arm balances, or vice versa :-)

Ananda

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 04:02:27 AM »
Thanks Hatha, that's pretty much close to my take on the whole thing as well... some of the stuff in there are being a bit pushed on the students too early (me included)... i've been offered to teach a meditation class in the center but the automatic answer to my surprise was "No" and somehow i don't regret the "decision"; Got to work a lot more on my self before taking on a class. I am already teaching a few guys and it's been a little bit of a bundle... Guess they have to rely on the guru inside and the lessons and someone like me for occasional questioning.

I would understand how 99% of the teachers out there teach for the money, but people like Yogani and Sri Ramana well those i can't understand unless i am in their shoes.

Love
Ananda

HathaTeacher

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:31:05 AM »
Hi Ananda,
I too admire Yoganis "open source" approach, because
Big-bucks biz (for ex., Bikram & Co.) tends to backfire as it interferes with the teacher's own daily saddhana, apart from creating an obvious conflict with yamas (Aparighraha). IMHO., "just enough" (given a particular context/country, culture, time etc.) is good enough. If it happens to become a lot more than expected, then there's always the option of giving off much more than you use for yourself and your relatives.

I think it's possible to combine meditation with Astanga Vinyasa, but I'd probaly prolonge the finishing series with longer sustains and with an extra forward bend, to calm the breath and the minds.

shanti /Hatha
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:48:41 AM by HathaTeacher »

machart

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 02:49:30 PM »
quote:

I think it's possible to combine meditation with Astanga Vinyasa, but I'd probaly prolonge the finishing series with longer sustains and with an extra forward bend, to calm the breath and the minds.

shanti /Hatha

My experiance is that if you can combine the physical flow of vinyasa with breath and concentration, while in a mindset of devotion and surrender one can optimize the use of time.

HathaTeacher

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 05:54:08 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by machart
...combine the physical flow of vinyasa with breath and concentration, while in a mindset of devotion and surrender one can optimize the use of time.

Yes, most of us live under tight time constraints. This doesn't replace deep meditation however, only aleviate the shortage of it.

Ananda

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 03:04:34 AM »
Hi all, during the last couple of months I've been experiencing a lot with Schools of Yoga and attending a lot of asana classes in different traditions and meeting a lot of teachers...

To sum it all up:

1st if one is practicing AYP and risks experiencing overloading symptoms from time to time. IMHO when he's going to attend a yoga class, then he shouldn't practice AYP on that day.

2nd all the heat and power yoga out there is not good for AYPyers, especially since a lot of mudras and bandhas are involved.

3rd up till now I've found the Sivananda school of yoga the best in terms of having a good yoga session between the spiritual and the physical (The middle path is always the safest bet; good things in moderation...) You know these sayings. Well Sivananda Yoga is definitely that and it's A+

4th As Yoganiji suggests, 10 minutes of Asanas before spinal breathing and deep meditation is definitely a medicine and a good self pacer[:)]

5th It was a hard time getting back to the IAM mantra after a year and a half of using the enhancements but that pretty much made things smoother and sweet.

6th For those who practice kechari mudra, in case you're overloading then you should let it go for some months. Trust me this thing makes a whole lot of difference.

7th Going back to basics is a good idea :-)

Love,
Ananda

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 04:09:05 AM »
Thanks for this post Ananda, lot's of good pointers. I also went through similar challenges with asanas classes. Having to make sure not to go into a deep internal space while practicing, not participating in the meditation or breathing practices if they do that at the beginning or end of the classes etc. Cutting down AYP practices on those days is a useful suggestion too if you are committed to going to a class.

thanks for that[:)]

Ananda

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 06:29:37 AM »
You're most welcome bro, your suggestion of not going into meditation before and after is a good one as well[:)].

Love,
Ananda

machart

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 12:02:52 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda
2nd all the heat and power yoga out there is not good for AYPyers, especially since a lot of mudras and bandhas are involved.

Love,
Ananda

Hi Ananda,

How long have you done power yoga?

When you say that power yoga is not good for AYPyers...do you mean not at the same time ?...or all the time? ..for all AYPers? or just sensitive types?

My experience as an aging hatha yogi is that power yoga gives an excellent workout combining both mind and body training.

The body training from power yoga allows easy long term siddhasana and the mind training is beneficial to all yogic pursuits.

Have a Great Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:11:33 PM by machart »

Ananda

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 08:26:16 PM »
Hi Machart, of course it is meant to the sensitive ones. Especially since most of the power yoga out there include a lot of mudras and bandhas.

I haven't done too many, but enough to know that they really push things up! kundalini wise that is.

And a great Christmas to you and your loved ones(f)

Love,
Ananda

machart

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 12:09:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

Hi Machart, of course it is meant to the sensitive ones. Especially since most of the power yoga out there include a lot of mudras and bandhas.

I haven't done too many, but enough to know that they really push things up! kundalini wise that is.

And a great Christmas to you and your loved ones(f)

Love,
Ananda

Hi Ananda!

What mudras did you practice in your power yoga class?

My teacher has discussed mulabandha and uddiyana bandha in the class I take at the Y for creating heat and elevating energy (which are totally optional)...but no mention of mudras...

Ananda

Asanas (heat) and AYP
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 11:37:29 PM »
Dear Machart:

we used mulabandha and uddiyana bandhas and ujayi breath plus sambhavi and kechari mudra stage 1 (touching the roof of the palate)

And from what I understood, they are supposed to be of great help for the easy flow of the vinyasa. Which without it could be a hard task to do them.

Love and a happy new year,
Ananda