Author Topic: Back pain / ache, affecting practice  (Read 712 times)

11jono11

Back pain / ache, affecting practice
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:28:14 AM »
Hello wonderful Souls/God/Consciousness/Oneness, I have just been initiated+started Kriya Yoga. I don't know wether it's the focus on the spine but my back pain has become more prominent recently.

I have had occasional boughts of back pain ever since I was doing some heavy lifting for a friends relative (about 4 years ago), they didn't show me how to lift properly (+i didnt know how) and I did something to my back. The pain is mid to lower back and feels odd, feels like a trapped nerve but the doctors don't agree, might get it looked at again. A physio has given me some exercises that don't help massively.

Now it's getting in the way of my practice/focusing on the movement of prana in the spine and meditation. My kriya routine requires Maha-mudra, I am wondering wether doing this more will eventually help it.

I am here just asking for general advice + help with my back pain. Does anyone have any recommendations of how to get rid of it? any asanas/anything you can recommend? I have Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha by the Bihar school of Yoga that suggests a few+ all backwards bending asanas (Makarasana, the croc pose seems to help), which makes me wonder about maha mudra which requires a foreward bend. As I said Maha mudra is essential to my practice so I can't really give it up.

Has anyone tried inversion therapy/inversion tables? I have met someone who swears by them.

Any advice at all would be great ANY, healers, asanas, herbs, whatever.

God bless

Om Shanti

thibaud05

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:35:56 AM »
Hi,
You can try this routine maybe, I find it quite nice. Guaranteed, there is no risk to aggravate your condition, it's that easy to do.

The sound is pretty bad, but its not important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkaZr8Bvnq4

http://atbsnr.tripod.com/

Hope this helps.

[:)]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 05:40:54 AM by thibaud05 »

11jono11

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:21:54 AM »
Thank you, I have tried it once or twice, I will give it more focus this weekend. Has it helped you?

Blessings

:)

NagoyaSea

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »
I keep Rodney Yee's 'Back Care Yoga' on dvd on hand. It has given me such relief when I've hurt my back---repeatedly helped me several times. Like yours, my issues were sporadic.  The routine is only about 20 minutes long.

I initially found it in the public library, tried it and eventually bought my own copy.

hope you feel better soon,
Kathy