Author Topic: Asanas = totally rad  (Read 2910 times)

cosmic

Asanas = totally rad
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:48:25 AM »
Man, have I been missing out.

I recently started doing asanas again, after a... several year... hiatus. It's been about 2 years since I've taken a hatha yoga class, and maybe 4+ since I've had a regular (daily/weekly) practice. My body's been craving asanas for a long time, but I've kept myself busy with other things and kept procrastinating on starting up again.

In the meantime, I watched my physical health and diet go to hell over the last 3 years or so. I couldn't ignore the craving any more, so I've been doing some asanas every day. Trying to do about 30 minutes a day, or at the very least, several postures before bed.

And they feel sooooooooooooooo good  [:D]

I won't even try to articulate how glorious it is.

But I feel like the mssing piece of the puzzle has been re-discovered. DM and the other sitting practices I do have been wonderful, but there was a physical component I needed in order to integrate my spiritual path.

Fortunately, self-pacing is not an issue right now. But if it becomes one, I'll do whatever I can to keep asanas in the mix. And DM and SBP, of course  [;)]

Anyone else been in a similar place?

Thanks for reading  [:)]

With Love
cosmic

stevenbhow

Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:28:01 AM »
Hey Cosmic,

My wife and I recently dusted off the old Yoga DVD after about a 4 years of Asana-less meditation. It feels great, though I'm about as flexible as a lump of concrete. Years of Martial Arts training without properly stretching having taking their toil, but I think Yoga will help me get back some of what I've lost.

cosmic

Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 11:01:17 AM »
Hi Steve,

Good to hear. Just curious, which martial art(s) do you practice?

quote:
Originally posted by stevenbhow

Years of Martial Arts training without properly stretching having taking their toil, but I think Yoga will help me get back some of what I've lost.

I think you're right. There is an Aikido place near here that also teaches Hatha Yoga on the side. I imagine they'd go very well together.

Love
cosmic

Victor

Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 11:11:41 AM »
Yep, I am in a similar place as well. Went several years ignoring asana and focusing on pranayama and meditation and my body suffered. To get back in shape I have been taking a Northern Shaolin kung fu class and practicing asana again and i feel like my old self again and better in some ways. Don't ignore the more physical when your internal practice goes deeper, they are both important.

cosmic

Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 07:57:16 PM »
Hello Victor  [:)]

quote:
Originally posted by Victor

Don't ignore the more physical when your internal practice goes deeper, they are both important.

Yes, this is what I'm learning from the experience. It's also what I hope people will take away from this discussion.

Did it take long to feel like yourself again?

Looking back several years, I noticed that the periods when I felt totally in love with Life, were times my DM and asana practices overlapped. They're both wonderful, but it feels like something is missing when only one or the other is being practiced. I feel like they're a package deal. For me, anyways... I know everyone has their own inclination.

Blessings
cosmic

christiane

Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »
Hi Cosmic :)

I'm in the same situation right now..
Only today did I decide to grab the bull by the horns and twist the "whole house" again!
Though I always do cat stretch before the practices (it is part of them anyway), it's been 2 years since I stopped my daily routine of asanas..
Today, I only did 4 Suryanamascar, sloooowly, focusing on each tiny physical/energetical sensation...

The prana started to bubble up again after ...2 weeks of emptiness and total absence of energy.....

It is essential at this stage to deeply connect to the body, through any physical activity.. it helps removing energy blockages and make the silent practices more intense and deep.

The more we do asanas watchfully, slowly, the more we benefit from them..
It's not only a way to relax the bodymind.. it has further benefits as well, on the level of subtler energies..

So..back to twisty postures [:D]

stevenbhow

Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:28:18 PM »
Hi Cosmic, I practiced Issen Ryu and Goju Ryu Karate, a mixed martial art hybrid, and Hapkido on and off for about 17 years until various injuries convinced me it was time to quit. One of the biggest mistakes I made was doing a lot of grappling in my late 20's without being in good physical shape. I ended up with a lot of back and joint pain. I was never very patient or smart when it came to moderation and stretching.

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 03:06:02 AM »
Hey Cosmic....

Yup, asanas "fill out" an already quite full AYP routine.....

If you are "re"-starting your asana practice after some time off I would suggest that you consider putting the Anusara principles of alignment into practice....I have been to several different styles of yoga while out here doing my teacher training this month and have observed many teachers teaching in ways that could be extremely detrimental to their students...in fact I am quite surprised that there aren't more lawsuits and injuries due to this.  It is vitally important in my mind that the body is properly aligned while doing postures....I personally have nearly destroyed my knees in doing postures the "wrong" way for several years....and I have learned the postures (many of them) from some pretty reputable teachers.  There are very few certified Anusara teachers out there as it can cost upwards of $15,000 to $20,000 USD plus expenses and a LOT of time to become one.  Fortunately my teacher is an ex-anusara teacher (he became dis-enfranchised with the franchise[;)]) and I have been able to learn these "Universal Principles of Alignment" from him for free.  These alignment principles add an entire new dimension to asana practice, and make it much safer and easier on the body then doing asanas without proper alignment. (not to mention you can get into some crazy postures without hurting yourself....my new favorite is Koundinyasana 3... http://hillarysyogapractice.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/eka-pada-koundinyasana-ii.jpg ) The basics of the Universal Principles of Alignment can be read about here: http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=6651

I will try to explain in greater detail when I am home sometime after Thursday if you need any clarification.

Good luck and enjoy your stretches!

Love,
Carson[^]

cosmic

Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
Hi Christiane  [:)]

quote:
Originally posted by christiane

It is essential at this stage to deeply connect to the body, through any physical activity.. it helps removing energy blockages and make the silent practices more intense and deep.

This is so true. The body connection is really wonderful. It feels like emotions are starting to move and flow through the body again. Sometimes during postures where the upper torso folds over the legs, laughter comes up. I'm not sure what their Sanskrit names are, but Child's pose and Pigeon bring a lot of laughter.

Enjoy every twist and turn  [;)]

With Love
cosmic

cosmic

Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »
Hey there Carson,

Thanks for the Anusara information. I read your post about it the other night and gave it a try. Not sure if I got the inner and outer spiral right, but once my feet and legs felt rooted, my body started doing its own thing. I found myself breathing energy up from the ground and into my abdomen, for several breaths, and then breathing it out through my hands. I don't think I understand Step 5 though...  [:p]

How's the training going? I hope it's an amazing experience. I'm looking forward to hearing about it when you're "back" back  [;)]

All the best  [:D]

With Love
cosmic

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 10:57:10 PM »
Carson wrote:
"my new favorite is Koundinyasana 3... "

Wow, that's cool stuff Carson. For dance I've been practicing balancing on the arms like that, but I doubt if I could get one leg out to the side! Right now it's all I can do to get the legs in frog position or straight out.

CarsonZi

Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 02:35:13 AM »
Hey Cosmic...Etherfish [:)]

quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

Thanks for the Anusara information. I read your post about it the other night and gave it a try. Not sure if I got the inner and outer spiral right, but once my feet and legs felt rooted, my body started doing its own thing. I found myself breathing energy up from the ground and into my abdomen, for several breaths, and then breathing it out through my hands. I don't think I understand Step 5 though...  [:p]

Inner Spiral is a pulling back and out with the inner thighs...when it is done right you will get a bit of an extra curve in the lumbar spine...then keeping inner spiral engaged, to balance out that extra curve, you pull your pelvis through (down)......This fully engages all the muscles in the legs....It is easy to feel in Downward dog....Go into DD and then slightly bend your knees....The rotate your inner thighs back and apart....then tuck the tailbone.  This can be done to some degree in every posture.  Using Organic Energy is mostly a metaphor for pushing out/extending.  Muscular Energy is a hugging in of the muscles, Organic Energy is a stretching back out.

quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

How's the training going? I hope it's an amazing experience. I'm looking forward to hearing about it when you're "back" back  [;)]

The training is over tomorrow morning after I teach my last class....sad to go but happy to put all this into action now.  I posted some photos yesterday which you can see here: http://www.facebook.com/#/album.php?aid=346882&id=652785382&ref=mf Will post a few more later today or tomorrow too.

Talk to you soon.

Love,
Carson[^]

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 12:21:06 PM »
Thanks Carson; good pics.
I see you do the balancing on arms the same as me! Those side ones are hard for an old guy like me; if I don't do them for a while I have to practice for a couple weeks to get back in them.
Can you balance on one arm in your tummy?

Of course we call them "B-Boy Freezes", and you call them yoga, but same thing!
I'm still working on bridge walk; I can't believe how much emotions I had stored in the back.
I can't hold hand stand very long without a wall; but working on it.

christiane

Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 12:02:27 AM »
Hi again..

today, I was strongly, urgently, definitely inclined to do the whole set of asanas I've been taught 2 years ago..
To my great surprise, the body was as flexible as if I had been practicing those postures on a daily basis! Though it's been almost a year I dropped them..
BUT, it's almost miraculous the effect it had on the heart/blood circulation and overall mood..
And it's not by coincidence that I fell on this thread 2-3 days ago..
thank you for that!

PS: nice pictures Carson [:I]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 01:02:12 AM by christiane »

CarsonZi

Asanas = totally rad
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 02:03:17 AM »
Hi Christiane....
quote:
Originally posted by christiane

And it's not by coincidence that I fell on this thread 2-3 days ago..

Hope you didn't hurt yourself[:o)]  Hahaha.....

Going home today....will see you (officially) soon[8D]

Love,
Carson[^]