Author Topic: Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?  (Read 2296 times)

gray

Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?
« on: August 29, 2008, 03:28:38 AM »
Hello all,

I've been following the AYP approach for some time now.  I've begun to feel inexplicably drawn to... erm... hard to explain really as I'm not sure how to express my feeling. :) Drawn to something involving stillness and physical movement.  A slow, silent, moving.

I haven't investigated Asana much, other than what I've read in the AYP lessons, but I get the sense that Asana is a more strenuous affair involving stretching and bending and tensing.

In the past I've seen people practising Qigong/Tai Chi and although I know almost nothing about this practice it certainly seems as though it may fulfil my needs.

Could anyone offer any advice on if there are any types of Asana (or anything within the system of Yoga) which may quench my thirst for slow, silent, moving?  Or does anyone think Qigong/Tai Chi would be worthwhile investigating?  I would be particularly interested to hear from anyone who practices Qigong alongside the AYP lessons.

gray

Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »
To answer my own question...

I took the recommendations in this thread on Hatha Yoga books.  Thanks machart for the suggestion about Erich Schiffmann's book.  After reading through the introductory chapters and in particular trying his initial very simple "neck roll" I realise that the practice of Asanas is slow movement in silence and to judge it (as I had) by it's outward appearance is to miss the point.

I look forward to exploring my new found Asana practice. [:)]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:19:34 PM by gray »

markern

Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 03:04:41 AM »
Here you get a bit of both:

http://www.artofzenyoga.com/

machart

Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »
Hi Gray,

Make sure you take some hatha classes (yin ..yang..whatever) at the Y or somewhere to get some personal instruction. Erich Schiffmann's DVD's are also excellent as are Bryan Kest's and David Swenson's.

Take the parts from each book or DVD that resonate with you and make your own practice into a meditation.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:28:10 PM by machart »

DivineAndrogen

• http://www.evolutionaryyoga.com
Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 06:16:27 PM »
Hi Gray,

One approach to asana that can be stillness in motion is the breath-based asana practice of the Krishnamacharya/TKV Desikachar lineage.  Books such as The Heart of Yoga by Desikachar, Yoga For Your Life by Martin Pierce, and the website www.americanviniyoga.com are excellent resources.  
Qigong is also based on breath and body movements in harmony.  
I incorporate both in my practice.  
Kevin Kortan
www.evolutionaryyoga.com

emc

Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:50:33 AM »
Hi Gray,

I definitely recognize your first question. I started out with qi gong training because I've always found yoga asanas to be what you describe - an acheivement, stretching, bending and putting up with an aching body. I was drawn to qi gong instead and found the smoothness and flow in that much more easily.

But as DivineAndrogen writes here above, and I have described in the "neighbour topic" here: http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=4857
there are some types of yoga that are more into the slow moves than others.

The Flow I experience now in asanas is the same as I've previously experienced in doing zinheng qi gong.

solo

Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 03:53:29 AM »
Well Gray, you are probably immersed in your practice already.  But I had a little different spin on this that I thought you may enjoy.  I find power in stillness and have found Zhan Zhuang style qigong to be a great compliment to AYP.  Zhan Zhuang is a great way to safely and slowly open up your energy gates.  

Just a thought in case you wanted to try something a tad different.

Scott

• http://www.theonebreath.com
Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 03:58:02 AM »
Solo,

Have you checked out, The Way of Energy by Lam Kam Chuen?  I've found it to be the best introduction to zhan zhuang in print.

solo

Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 04:36:06 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

Solo,

Have you checked out, The Way of Energy by Lam Kam Chuen?  I've found it to be the best introduction to zhan zhuang in print.

Thank you for that excellent suggestion!  I have checked out that book.  In fact, I have been practicing from that book for over a year.  I agree with you, it's great.

RobM

Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 01:26:39 PM »
I know I am responding to an old post, but for anyone who has tried qigong with ayp, are you using it before spinal breathing and deep meditation?  Thanks

chinmayo

Asana, Qigong, Tai Chi ?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 07:38:33 AM »
I've been experimenting with chiqong, and my chiqong teacher wants to incorporate sitting meditation with it. It feels quite powerfull combination and I have had to do my mdditation after the chiqong without siddhasana as i feel the chi/kundalini rising too much. I have only been experimenting for 2 months so i dont have experience on long term effects. For me it is regular ayp routine on morning and ayp+chiqong in the evening on some days, and on some days i do kundalini yoga+ayp in the morning and ayp on the evening.

I do find the chiqong movements to be effective, but it could be better to do it after dm rather than before it but i have to experiment more before i can give any "advice".