Author Topic: Using Yoga in Exercise  (Read 1036 times)

anthony574

Using Yoga in Exercise
« on: July 10, 2007, 04:53:36 AM »
Hello everyone.

I know this topic technically belongs somewhere else, but no one ever really reads topics that I post in the Healthcare forum, so I will post it here and hope it doesn't get moved :)

Anyway, this concerns exercise. I recently experienced a reawakening of sorts and felt a strange urge to resume my weight training, as well as running and raquetball. Mainly, weight training is my focus of this topic because of the reasons I felt compelled to get back into it. I gave it up a little before I began AYP 4 months ago in favor of a vegetarian diet, and also because I realized I had unreasonable expectations (wanting to be some hulking muscle mass when I am 135 pounds), and it was hurting my self-image and causing dissatisfaction with my body. Since then I have really come a long way in accpeting and appreciating my slim physique, however, recently it dawned on me during a meditation that I'd really like to begin again, but with a new attitude. I really wanted to see how a yogic mindset of focus and breathing could help me as I've always been very interested in mind-body phenomena. I went today and found it very enjoyable. I did not have unreasonable expectations, was not self-concious, and I found a new ability to concentrate and sync my breathing with my movements as well as increased body awareness. I also began running again and found it to be an extreme challenge to my ability to concentrate.

I know there has been some revent controversey over the use of yogic breathing during exercise and outside of practice, but I do not intentionally perform any specific breathing other than a slow controlled nasal breath.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else here has experience in forms of sport and exercise and how yoga may be a boon in your practice either physically or psychologically.

I think the best thing I took to the gym today from yoga after 4 months was a new contentment with myself and my body. If I could not do a certain weight, I was content and accepting :)

yogibear

Using Yoga in Exercise
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:55:20 AM »
Hi Anthony,

I read Anthem's most 2nd recent post at this thread

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=2742

and thought it might apply to yours in some way.

Also, you might want rent the Peaceful Warrior DVD.  It is about a gymnast and his spiritual growth.

Best, yb.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:27:07 AM by yogibear »

clk1710

Using Yoga in Exercise
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 12:54:29 PM »
hi anthony! thanks for your post...
 i just wanted to add that i think that different interests call to different people and clearly you are a person that appreciates different forms of body movement and exercise - all very healthy. what i love about the AYP practices is that its about doing your sadhana and then chasing after your passions in your daily life and making fun discoveries in the process even in trivial matters, doing the things you love and embracing the things you love. i have always found myself questioning whether or not my interests/passions are "worthy enough" or whether or not i'm actually worthy of following my passions... and my ego has even used my passions to self-punish by holding myself back from them. i also grew up with the view of God as a strict, authoritarian and not a loving and accepting and freeing God...
but all in all i'm finding that this is unfolding process spiritually and that i'm closer to God when i'm doing the things i love...
this is a good reminder to myself as i'm writing this .... hope this helps...

AYPforum

Using Yoga in Exercise
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 03:55:03 AM »
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement

bhaktiyogaa

Using Yoga in Exercise
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »
Hello every one .I was severely suffering from back pain.I came to know that yoga is the best way to relieve pains.Can I go on with yoga .please suggest.http://www.hathayogasite.com/yoga-systems/bhakti-yoga