Author Topic: Asanas Are 19th Century European Gymnastics?  (Read 1187 times)

Ecdyonurus

Asanas Are 19th Century European Gymnastics?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 10:26:10 PM »
I don't think that we need to create separation between "traditional asanas" and "modern asanas".  If the intent is in line with the goal of yoga, it does not matter if the asana you perform is 4000 years old or a very modern variation that your teacher has just tailored to your personal needs.

By the way, asanas (modern asanas) have been for me the main door into the world of yoga. I had some issues that needed an asana based approach. Back then, I think I woul not have been interested in an approach like AYP. I had to work on the gross level of body first. So, having around classes teaching modern asanas was very relevant for me. And I bet many practitioners in the West follow a similar path: first you try asana classes, and only after you look for more.

tonightsthenight

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 05:34:21 AM »

Asanas teach concentration and the breath. They are the foundation of our sitting practices.

After all, the body is an extension of the mind. And much easier to access.

The seated asanas are the most advanced. You can think of the other asanas as preparation to sit, if you like.

Prem

• http://www.sarniayogaclinic.com
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 11:41:16 PM »
That's interesting!  My two cents' worth...The asanas have a purpose - because anyone who has done asana long enough I hope! will begin to be drawn inward - not all yogis are though just look at bad boy Bikram. Some never progress beyond the asanas - maybe it's their karma. The body - asana -  it's a portal to the inner layers - asanas have also kept my nearly 60 y/o body relatively strong and pain free (I came to yoga with arthritis and high emotional stress).  Asanas brought me profound healing after two deaths in the family and kept me away from pharmaceuticals. So I don't agonize about where they originate although it's interesting. Asanas are not an end in themselves - just know when I've completed my asana portion, my body is relaxed,  I feel patience and love, my spirit is open, My mind has become one pointed and  I'm very ready for my bandhas, SP, DM etc.  Asanas are the draw that get people to classes and after some time pull them deeper into AYP. We are a very physically based culture where it seems to be all about physical experience. We have to begin somewhere!.  So I say yes they do provide real spiritual benefit but not immediately and perhaps never if you're not "ready". As my guru often said "you can do postures all day and all night, if your head is not screwed on correctly they won't do you a bit of good" Thanks for sharing your thought provoking post!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:37:51 AM by Prem »

Charliedog

• Be the change
    • Marjoleine Diemel
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 12:40:59 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Prem

Asanas are not an end in themselves

But a beautiful start of a journey!

[3] [/\]

Prem

• http://www.sarniayogaclinic.com
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 05:52:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

quote:
Originally posted by Prem

Asanas are not an end in themselves

But a beautiful start of a journey!

[3] [/\]

Amen to that Charliedog!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:01:28 AM by Prem »

AYPadmin

Re: Asanas Are 19th Century European Gymnastics?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 07:54:36 AM »
thezuck
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  4:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit thezuck's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
From my experience, asanas seem to be a manifestation from the nervous system to release blockages and tensions, allowing for much deeper meditative states. During my DM practice, I find the body automatically moving into versions of the more common asanas as a way to help along energy flow.....spinal twists, backbends etc.

Isn't it likely that asanas evolved from early practitioners working on their spiritual practices and observing the nervous system's natural tendencies to adjust the physical form? Then teaching these to others as the poses/exercises that help release and refine the attention?
Go to Top of Page
Dogboy
USA
1586 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  4:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Isn't it likely that asanas evolved from early practitioners working on their spiritual practices and observing the nervous system's natural tendencies to adjust the physical form? Then teaching these to others as the poses/exercises that help release and refine the attention?

Most likely, Mr Zuck!