Author Topic: Lower back pain from asana  (Read 552 times)

GregM

Lower back pain from asana
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:22:43 AM »
I was too aggressive with the spinal twist asana (Ardha Matsyendrasana) and now I'm experiencing pain in my lower vertebrae sporadically when standing or bending over throughout the day.  I will probably abstain from this pose for a while and ease back into it as I recover, but in the meantime, can anyone recommend other exercises to help in that effort?

Thanks,

Greg
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:44:50 AM by GregM »

BillinL.A.

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »
Sorry to hear about your pain GregM.

About six months ago I started laying my back on a yoga ball with my stomach up and balancing for about five minutes daily.  

Doesn't take too much balancing and has made huge improvements in my general flexibility.  Three months ago I started doing spinal twists that I couldn't do before.  And maha mudra is improving a lot too.

Hathateacher here posted about how critical back bends are in an old post and that inspired me to try it.

Thanks Hathateacher!

Heal fast GregM![;)]

GregM

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:27:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BillinL.A.

About six months ago I started laying my back on a yoga ball with my stomach up and balancing for about five minutes daily.

Oooh, that feels good.  I haven't done that in a long time.  Thanks for the suggestion!

quote:

Heal fast GregM![;)]

Your command is my wish...  [/\]

--Greg

HathaTeacher

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:25:01 AM »
Thank you Billin LA. (and thank you for your e-mail notice), good to hear it works. As we grow older, it's easily happened to neglect back bends because forward bends become easier than during the years of growth. Therefore IMO back bends (self paced) are a way to slow down ageing of the spine.

Greg, there are several details that often get wrong in Ardha Matsyendrasana. If you've a mirror, check that none of the shoulders gets higher than the other one, and that the spine is lengthened and straight (and especially, that the heart region is not pulled in/backward). Don't rush the bind (you can use just the tips of your longest fingers, or hold a sock with your palms instead). IMO, Nakrakriya (the crocodile twist, lying on your back) is safer/gentler because you can do it dynamically from side to side, in pace with (very slow, deep) breath. If you've lower-spine issues, you can even use the lungs as an "airbag" in Nakrakriya: Inhale - twist under kumbhaka - get back to middle, exhale - inhale twist to the other side etc. (i.e. the standard breathing scheme reversed), and there are also dozens of leg variations to try (to see if any of those makes the spine get better).

Heal fast & safely
HaTha
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:34:52 PM by HathaTeacher »