Author Topic: a question on asana for the community  (Read 768 times)

tonightsthenight

a question on asana for the community
« on: March 12, 2014, 02:57:59 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have a question and I'd like to hear your responses.

While working on a video project, I have been able collect my thoughts more clearly on asana.

On the one hand, I agree with the traditional approach (and the AYP approach) of asana as preparation for inner practices.

I find it is best to keep asana balanced with other practices in order to insure balance in daily life and avoid overload.

On the other hand, asana of the more physical variety, common nowadays throughout the world, has helped me to work through deep and limiting vasanas. I would not have the experience I do today without it. Nor do I feel that inner practices alone would have worked through samskara at such a pace.

In fact, I intuit a deep connection between the health of the body and the health of the nervous system.

In short, I don't think the fruition of yoga would have been possible for me in this lifetime without a formidable and disciplined asana regime.

However, this process has not been especially balanced, and I hesitate to advocate such a regime. This goes for herbs and medicines as well I suppose. And growth is never exactly comfortable.  

I don't know yet how I can resolve this though I'm certain it will be resolved.

I feel strongly that samskara manifests in the body, the body is a reflection of the mind. Certainly this means we can work from either end of the polarity. Furthermore, working through samskara with asana requires and indeed facilitates many of the qualities we associate with the purified mind. A strong and dedicated asana practice has the potential to establish a foundation for further development.

Given that, at least in my experience, intense asana, in combination with the other limbs (but not necessarily in balance with them), was the path to the fruits of yoga .. How do I resolve that with the notion that asana should be used to prime the nervous system for the inner practices with a balanced approach?

Am I an outlier? On the margins? Probably. But I can only teach what I know. And my experience tells me that 90 minutes or so of asana practice per day, along with 15 minutes, give or take, of sitting practices per day, has borne good fruits.

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:50:53 AM »
Hi TNN:

This question has come up often, and the answer is that you can do both.

A short gentle routine of asanas (as per AYP) can be done before sitting practices, and the more intensive variety of (studio style) asanas can be regarded as "exercise" and done sometime after sitting practices, but not right before.

Of course, as you point out, self-pacing for overdoing will be necessary as with any practice. As you know, intensive long asana routines are not part of the AYP baseline system, so managing them in relation to AYP asanas and sitting practices will be the practitioner's responsibility.

In the Asanas, Mudras and Bandhas book, this balancing is discussed, since quite a few are coming to AYP from the yoga studio environment these days, where long and often intense asana routines are the norm.  

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Ecdyonurus

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:51:38 AM »
Interesting question. [:)]

I think that one should consider not only the duration of asana practice. I mean, 90 minutes of mild, restoratve poses may not lead to enery problems, but 20 minutes of advanced asana involving bandhas and mudras and breath restraint may overlap with SBP and DM.

Also, how much time can we allocate to yoga? In my case, it would be impossible to sustain the same amount of time you do (I could do it on some days, but not on a regular basis). So I have to design my yoga practice according to the time I can reasonably find and sustain.  It is about 30 minutes twice a day. I tried to do more but it becomes frustrating because I really can't achieve his goal every day.

tonightsthenight

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 06:25:26 AM »
Thank you both for your insightful response.

Yogani, indeed you are correct, and this is how I've been approaching it. However, the asana practice is not really exercise per se, although one could apply yogic principles to just about any exercise regime.

I think your answer is clear that this is a personal choice and not a baseline practice. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Ecy,
I have been doing advanced asana for years. In that time, I've been living on the edge of overload and many times falling off the steep side of the knifes edge. However, that has been my choice and I am satisfied with it. I would not wish my experiences on anybody. But somehow I don't mind doing it to myself [:p]

That has been my path but you know what? Its worked out alright here.

I've been very fortunate to have been able to dedicate so much time to practice. I am very grateful for this blessing. Then again, I would not be here without that luxury, so the blessings matched up with the needs.

Your answers have helped a lot. Thank you!

Dogboy

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
I have been doing asana practice 90 minutes/twice weekly for many years, and AYP DM less than one. I, too, didn't wish to sacrifice either, or risk overload, especially with conductivity active during yoga classes the past 6 weeks. I tend to skip the next "sit"  following class to be safe, and thus far believe I have the balance and pleasure of both.  I am also finding I can incorporate asana and stillness within the moments of the everyday, while folding laundry or hanging with my kid on the playground. To have yoga in my life this way has elevated my spirit! DM has opened my eyes, my heart, my being.

Dogboy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »
...well, actually, DM has closed my eyes...

[:D] [3][OM]