Author Topic: Practicing Asanas, Getting Stuck Burps? Help!  (Read 618 times)

alexagk

• http://www.krop.com/alexagk
Practicing Asanas, Getting Stuck Burps? Help!
« on: January 20, 2014, 11:37:24 AM »
Hello all,
Very grateful for all the wisdom in this forum.  I'm a longtime athlete and dancer, recently developing a regular yoga practice (a daily practice for 10 months now), studying with a variety of teachers and styles.  I recently began an ashtanga teacher training as yoga is close to my heart and I would like to share it with others.  The problem is, I often have an issue with burps during class. the problem isn't that I'm burping too much; the problem is that the air forms and there's a lot of pressure in my chest/throat, but I'm unable to push out the burp unless I move out of the asana.  I have tried not eating or drinking close to class (as much as 3 hours prior to class), but this has not helped.  I sip liquids slowly, and I eat consciously and slowly.  My nutritionist/herbalist has suggested it may be a hiatal hernia, but I am doubtful as the problems don't seem to arise from eating very often-- I don't match the symptoms of someone with GERD/heartburn.  It's just this problem with burps not being able to come up during yoga practice.  Has anyone had a similar issue? Have some insight? It makes it very difficult to talk while teaching, and also means I have to come out of postures. Many thanks! -Alexa[3]

dave

Practicing Asanas, Getting Stuck Burps? Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:56:53 PM »
There's a lot of compression postures and inversions in ashtanga so if you have some gas your going to feel it.  I burp occasionally after coming out of Marichyasana D.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you might be pushing too hard into the asanas and having a lot of tension in your body.  I would try having a softer practice with a focus on more relaxed breathing.

If your nutritionist/herbalist suggested you might have hiatal hernia I would certainly get it checked out to just to make sure that's not the problem.

My teacher last monthly topic was Bhujapidasana, which is supposed to be a good asana for the hiatal hernia. She posted an article here http://www.befityoga.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/focus-of-the-month-12.13-pdf.pdf.  There's a breathing exercise and some other information on how to treat it holistically.

Hope this helps.