Author Topic: Adjustment in Class/ Crown  (Read 716 times)

NJL

Adjustment in Class/ Crown
« on: February 24, 2013, 04:18:19 PM »
Today I took an asana class with a teacher i was unfamiliar with. During closed eye breathwork before we started the poses, the teacher touched the crown of my head, as a sort of adjustment. I didn't enjoy the experience, I felt fine before and after, but when she touched my crown it felt like severe burning, more like a physical burning than k burning. So far I don't have any indications of overload.  Any thoughts on this?

Radharani

• http://www.francisandclareyoga.org
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but personally I don't like having my chakras touched uninvited, especially by a stranger (albeit a yoga teacher); I find it kind of intrusive.  The adjustment may have just released some k static accumulation.  Probably nothing to worry about if no symptoms of overload...

HathaTeacher

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:01:37 AM »
Some TTCs (especially if Astanga-inspired) teach and encourage teachers to do excessive corrections (IMO), uninvited. I think that's counterproductive (especially here in the West) because it  violates the desire for personal integrity.
Verbal corrections feel more neutral to most people.

Radharani

• http://www.francisandclareyoga.org
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:12:31 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by HathaTeacher

Some TTCs (especially if Astanga-inspired) teach and encourage teachers to do excessive corrections (IMO), uninvited. I think that's counterproductive (especially here in the West) because it  violates the desire for personal integrity.
Verbal corrections feel more neutral to most people.

agreed.  I don't do physical adjustments on my students unless they request it.

NJL

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »
I like physical adjustments, as well as verbal cues, because on certain days you're just not all the way there, regardless of your intent. Physical adjustments can really help if you're an advanced practioneer, IMO.

I think touching the crown is different, for obvious reasons. You might as well stick a firecracker in my mouth, haha.

HathaTeacher

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 01:31:15 AM »
I think uninvited corrections whatsoever are risky. The teacher should know a lot about the student's previous training and injury history, which is practically never the case. And, even when an X-ray pic looks fine to a non-doctor, adding MRI might result in a completely different story.

This is very important with elders, but also with much younger people who have done risky sports or jobs.

NJL

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:39:38 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by HathaTeacher

I think uninvited corrections whatsoever are risky. The teacher should know a lot about the student's previous training and injury history, which is practically never the case. And, even when an X-ray pic looks fine to a non-doctor, adding MRI might result in a completely different story.

This is very important with elders, but also with much younger people who have done risky sports or jobs.

Well, I think there is great difference here between advanced students and others. Advanced students would of course voice their desire not to have adjustments if that were the case, but most advanced practioneers need only a cue, rather than a forceful adjustment. "Crown" adjustments aren't really a normal part of any yoga school I've been around.