Author Topic: Asanas and doshas  (Read 1073 times)

img

Asanas and doshas
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:40:23 AM »
I wonder if there are asanas that are beneficial for someone with kapha/pitta type, with kapha somewhat unbalanced.
Have you come across any resources that clearly explain the correlation between asanas and doshas?

Victor

Asanas and doshas
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 05:10:28 AM »
Yes, definitely. For kapha dosha you want standing poses, vigorous postures and backbends. Anything that is stimulating. For Pitta you would want more soothing so can be a challange. Look into Dr Vasant Lad's book "Ayurveda, the science of self healing"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:07:44 PM by Victor »

img

Asanas and doshas
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:17:36 AM »
Victor, you're a star!!!! [:D]

HathaTeacher

Asanas and doshas
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:46:28 AM »
I think the AYP way is a good mix for those who are primarily Pittha because of the daily pranayama and meditation practice; Pittha is very seldom flexible from start, but wants and (quite often) makes fast progress in "tricky" or "sporty" asanas; I agree the challenge is in the meditative parts of the practice.

img

Asanas and doshas
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 06:40:52 AM »
It's true, AYP is Pitta-friendly. [;)]
Vasant Lad's book arrived, and it's pretty good, although very basic. Frawley's Yoga for Your Type had straightforward recommendations, and it's good cookbook-style advice.
However, the relationship between asanas and doshas had to have been written down in one of the ancient works, I just don't know which one (Charak and Sushrut don't talk about this).  Does anyone know of such a work?

Victor

Asanas and doshas
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »
I know Dr Lad and David Frawley personally. They are the only sources that I am aware of. Sushruta was mostly concerned with surgery. Charaka herbs, cleanses etc but hard to decypher into modern english. generally a kapha person should do asana that are active and heating (sun salutations, vinyasa and strength poses like headstand. Vata should do soothing pses like shoulderstand and plough and seated forward bends but also strength building and steadying poses. Pitta needs cooling so meditation is good. what can complicate things is that you treat a toxic pitta condition much like kapha though you need to be much more careful. tehre is "sama"(toxic) condition for each dosha or "nirama" ( not toxic) condition. to treat dosha first you need to bring the condition to nirama and then treat the general dosha. "ama" generally refers to any toxic coatings in the body. on the most gross level is toxic colon. can also be coatings on the lungs and bronchi, arteries , gallstones, kidney stones,or coatings on any channels in the body. This needs to be addressed before treating general dosha. Anyway, its a big topic and I admit that I am rusty at it. Thats why i pointed you to Dr Lad. I like Dr Frawley very much as well. so you can go from there. Also Gita Iyengar (BKS Iyengars daughter) is trained in Ayurveda and has a very extensive knowledge of asana. Not sure what writings she has done. I know of one "Yoga, A Gem For Women" but there may be others. Best of luck!