Author Topic: HELP LETTING GO: KARMA, SURRENDER AND ANXIETY/OCD  (Read 4456 times)

whippoorwill

HELP LETTING GO: KARMA, SURRENDER AND ANXIETY/OCD
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 12:02:07 PM »
I personally don't understand karma.  Not one bit.  Is the baby born with a disfiguring disease being punished for some bad action in a past life?  Is the rape victim being punished for raping in a past life?  Or the mother who dies in childbirth and the baby with her?  I personally think that viewing karma in this way, as physical punishment for past bad action, makes God into one helluva sadist, and I don't buy it.  Sometimes bad things happen.  Do we really need a reason for why they happen?  Do we really need to blame God?

My Dad told me a story once of a woman giving birth.  It was her first birth and went very quickly for a first birth.  After the placenta was expelled, she started to hemorrhage horribly from the expanding, relaxing uterus.  No one around her knew what to do to keep her alive and, as she bleed to death, her mother held her hand and stroked her forehead and told her, "It's okay.  I'm here.  I love you."  

And that is God in our lives.  I can't hear God, touch, smell, taste, or sense God in any way.  But I know she's there holding our hands as we live our lives, telling us, "It's okay.  I'm here.  I love you."  And whatever happens to me, I know that I will be okay.

Dad's story is fictional, by the way, but I think it makes a good illustration.

And I think Etherfish's advice is very good.  Taking measures to protect yourself is a good idea.  Body Substance Isolation.  [:)]

Much love,
--Liz
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:38:17 PM by whippoorwill »

bewell

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »
Hi 11juno11,

That is an interesting question.  I am drawn to the  most "common sense" part of that you said.  Here it is.

quote:
Originally posted by 11jono11
...take the normal safety measures that are policy in the workplace.

Follow the normal safety measures, and get on with life.

Blessings,

Be

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »
Thanks Liz,
Karma is more of a rehab than a punishment. When you have to go through the consequences of everything you have caused, it eventually brings balance and peace to your soul.
At first you say "That's not fair - two wrongs don't make a right!"
Then your soul calms down as it sadly, eventually lives through the whole thing, and it says "OK - now I truly understand this pain", and it chooses silence.

I don't think God is sitting up there doling out punishment. I think he/she set up this system that works automatically, and quite well even though it has a very dark side.

whippoorwill

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »
Thanks, Etherfish.  That explanation helps.

cosmic

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Karma is more of a rehab than a punishment.

Mooji put this nicely once. He said something like (paraphrasing here):

"Life is corrective, not vindictive".

I tend to agree.

harsharan000

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 09:28:12 AM »
Karmas are nothing but our own deeds, performed by us. Karmas are a way of keeping souls in this creation, because every action has an reaction... so naturally, for this very reason, one even not wanting the consequences, is condemmed over here in perpetuity. In hinduism and sikhism, this coming and going is called "chaurasee ka chakar " or the wheel of eighty four, which compromises all the species of lives, from the lowest of plant kingdom, up to the human beings, the highest. The soul goes on wandering, in different bodies, according to it`s "karmas" and "unsatisfied desires" or "attachments", which are the main causes of reincarnations. Even in christianity, it is said, as you sow, so shall you reap... or... even the hair on your head is numbered....so if we pay attention, we can see, nothing is left to be labelled as luck, chance or random... everything is precise. The world would be a chaos, if it was so. Just because we humans are limited in mind and knowledge, so we think that God or Supreme Being, is just something like us but on superior level...which is far from reality. He is, sat chit ananad, which means everlasting truth, omniscient and embodiment of bliss.

Karmas are of three types:
a)Kriyaman: those which we perform in this present life
b)pralabdh: those which are responsible of our present life destiny
c)sinchit: those which are the storehouse.
It is just like, suppose we have $200.000, in our bank account(sinchit), and we are going for holidays, and we make budget that we are going to spend around $2000(pralabdh) in those scheduled days, which we withdraw beforehand and proceed for our planned trip, and while there, we make some more money(kriyaman), which we bring back with us and put it in our bank account... so we can see this process is inevitably unending... we are caught in the web of this trap... it is such cunningly designed, that not only we humans but even gods or ishtas can not escape. All our tempers, characters, relations, health, wealth, honor , dishonor, span of life, friends , foes.....are all due to the effects of karmas.
Yogis, increase their span of life through yoga, because they minimize their number of breaths and morsels, which of course, sooner or later, that credit has to come to an end...so when one has  not to take anything from anybody or give anything to anybody, one leaves this world, because one has finished one`s cash... so one has to go and come back with it again. The trap, consists of making and spending (karmas).

We all know who Dhritrashtra was, the father of the kauravas. If I am not mistaken he was blind from birth. Once when he was in the company of Krishna, he told him that, due to his spiritual developement, he could go back through his previous 99 births, and he could see no karma as such for which he was blind in this present life. So Krishna, with his power, took him 5 lives more backwards, means his 104th life, and showed him how once as a child, he was near a pond and was taking out the eyes of a worm with a pointed object.
From this simple example, for those who believe, karmas and reincarnation do exist. And it is clear, we do freely perform karmas, but it is totally not in our hands, how and when are they to bear it`s fruits, that is the job of mother nature,(not God please), where and when to unfold.
Karmas are very mysterious, mostly beyond our reach of mind and intellect. It would be wise on our part, to talk good, do dood and be good. Beacuse as said before, our present life is built from our past karmas.... naturally our future will be based on our present karmas. If pain is given(sown), naturally pain will come back to us(destiny).

Mostly, nobody is perfect, so that is why some are more happy , and some are more miserable. If we had more good karmas, we may be reaping it in a  paradise, or if we had more bad karmas, we may have been be in a reformatory plane, but in either case, we shall not escape the wheel of eighty four, again we would be born in some specie.
So one may ask, how to come out of this trap? As the bani says: Awar kaaj tere kitte na kam, mil sadh sangat bhaj kewal Nam, which means, nothing else will be of your avail, but get in touch with a saint, a lover of God, a holy man,( holiness is not got, by wearing saffaron dresses ot special attaires, or external complements, or by fastings,  nor pilgrimages, or by splashing ashes on the body, but by comunion with the almighty Lord, through meditation) and practice the meditation according to His instructions... this is the remedy, according to the wise ones! As Christ said: man is the living temple of God. God is a spiritual being, which has to be realized by our true nature,  known as spirit or soul. We are not the body, if anything as such has to be merged in the Universal Spirit, naturally it has to be the spirit, as the body is left here once we die, all phisicall or gross matter is made of the 5 elements, which are transient and perishable.

So it is the soul, which has to merge in it`s origin, known also as Supreme Being, and for that we have to use the vehicle of guided meditation from an expert, from a teacher... or call it Guru.
This science is not anything new.. it was the same with Christ, with Kabir Sahib, Guru Nanak and His succesors, Guru Ravi Das, Tulsi Sahib, Sant Tukaram... and some others, but always with the one same message. If the Sun is one, naturally the rays emanating from it are the same, they can not be different. If we try to find Him outwards, we shall not only not find Him, but shall get lost in disputes,ignorance, fights and wars. But if we try to find Him in His true temple,  which is this human body, there is only one way, no matter to which religion, caste or color one belongs.... there only love, devotion and purity  counts, for being allowed to enter His court; as we may have read: Sahib ke darbar mein kewal bhakti aur pyar,aur kewal bhakti aur pyar mein, Sahib raazee. Which means: Only love and devotion is needed for the Lord`s court, and only with love and devotion is the Lord satisfied!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:58:34 AM by harsharan000 »

harsharan000

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 09:13:01 AM »
As Krishna told Arjuna, the easiest way to realize me is, to surrender yourself to me, and take refuge in me. This path is called devotion. Nothing else pleases the Lord more, than, loving Him, being humble and devoted to Him. Because when we surrender ourselves to Him, then only goodness, will be our output,and we incurr in no karma...as we act in His will, and by doing so, we do the wisest thing, that one can do in his or her life, since coming into existence. By doing so, there are much more benefits, of which we could ever imagine: His constant protection; He takes cares of us, as a mother to a child; nourishes us with love; washes our dirt with His glance of mercy; we become pure, and sing His inmense glory.... not only that,but we cut our bonds with creation, and become free in a true sense, by leaving mind behind... and in the end, the best of best happens, the drop(soul), merges in the Ocean(Lord), once and forever....this is the greatness, of one pointed devotion to Him.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:18:28 AM by harsharan000 »

whippoorwill

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 01:28:01 PM »
Thanks for writing this!
--Liz

xir

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 09:19:15 AM »
Fear is always present here, no matter how much i know or work on trying to remedy it.

Mostly, these practices, will bring more sensitivity to the emotions and the like, i have found.

There is definitely pain present, just moving along too, surrender is sometimes just #a breathe out# and it's over.

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
What do you have to lose?

yogesh

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 12:37:28 PM »
11jono11, if you have have doubts you should get your blood tested...

harsharan000

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 01:21:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by lizmoran

Thanks for writing this!
--Liz

We should better say, thanks to Him, for allowing us write, read and listen His inmense glory...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:25:36 AM by harsharan000 »

marcplatters

• http://featheredpipe.com
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 07:23:11 AM »
the bad karmas have unevitable consequences on the physical body (which we are not) the only freedom is to turn the mind inside......this is the teachings of Ramana Maharashi.

harsharan000

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 09:20:31 AM »
This is quite true, but why only Maharishi? It has to be so... As these truths, are not a monopoly of any particular person, religion or country...they are a natural flow of the noble and pure thing known as Mercy, Daya, Meher ... Bakshish, emobodied in the expression as human beings, like Jesus, Guru Nanak and His 9 succesors, Kabir Sahib, Guru Ravi Das, Bhagat Nam Dev, Tulsi Sahib...etc. 100 thousand years ago, hydrogen and oxygen made water, today is the same, and hereafter will be the same also. The truth is always the same, it maybe expressed by different beings at different times, but their direction pointed out, has to be the same. Karmas if did not serve their purpose of reaping, why would they exist? It is all a learning purpose, whether one likes it or not, understands it or not, pays attention or not, but if we could learn from this endless process,then evolution is the natural outcome, otherwise it is a sure fall down and  reverse effect is the outcome, known as devolution.
It all depends on us, either to choose the Light and real freedom, by uplifting our consciousness to higher levels, or remaining in the darkness of ignorance and imprisonment, in a well, with apparently no bottom.
It has to come out from our very inner being, if we choose to go up, inspite of being in the well, then He spreads out His helping hand and pulls us out, and gives us correct surroundings  and envoirment for our uplift as spiritual beings; but in any case, it is totally our choice, our free will, nobody is to be blamed.
But in the end, as said before, if we choose the Light and achieve it, it will just be so, because of a glance of His infinite mercy.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:28:06 AM by harsharan000 »