Author Topic: HELP LETTING GO: KARMA, SURRENDER AND ANXIETY/OCD  (Read 4455 times)

11jono11

HELP LETTING GO: KARMA, SURRENDER AND ANXIETY/OCD
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:57:51 AM »
I have a question relating to Karma which also ties in to surrender. Recently I have had a resurgence in some anxious/OCD thoughts/worries relating to disease etc, some are more rational than others, in summary, most are arising due to my current place of work: a drug and alcohol detox ward hence there are a lot of people with blood born viruses, hep c etc.

I am worrying could I have caught this or that by doing this or that, basically being hyper vigilant with regards to health and cleaning/washing almost obsessively; the mind is thinking up some very elaborate, convoluted ways that could cause infection.

My questions relating to all this: is Karma unavoidable? Is Karma what we deserve? Is Karma what we need? Is everything that happens perfect/needed? E.g. there is no point worrying about anything as everything is as it should be? If I surrender and trust Karma, everything will be fine, because everything is fine and can't be any other way and is only not fine because I don't trust and I am not able to let go.

So basically everything that should happen is going to happen and there is no point worrying about anything (r.e. anxious thoughts: 'if that touched this, which touched that, which could have touched that and that could have touched that' etc), as what is happening is happening and what is going to happen, is going to happen and meant to happen and all I can do is just take the normal safety measures that are policy in the workplace. If I am meant to catch a disease or get bumped on the head, it is all perfect and all meant to happen and is going to happen and it is all all providing an opportunity to awaken. Like my recent anxious tendencies, shining a light on the nature of all of minds workings and worries, enabling me to work something out and let go.

Am I making sense, this is sort of difficult to ask/explain. Just ask if anything needs clarifying.

Love and Gratitude. x

little_rad

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »
Hey :)

Maybe you could do with some grounding, to take focus away from the mind?  For example, exercise, heavy foods, gardening, anything physical really. I find it can help 'distract' from such 'mindy' repetitive, obsessive thoughts, in a healthy balancing way.

See what other peeps say too.

Kahlia

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »
What is your definition of karma? The Hindu definition is different from the Buddhist version.

manigma

• http://www.facebook.com/manigma
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 11jono11
My questions relating to all this: is Karma unavoidable? Is Karma what we deserve? Is Karma what we need? Is everything that happens perfect/needed?

Karma, past actions, bear fruits only when we have a feeling of my-ness for our bodies. It is never desirable to have a feeling of myself for the body. Thus, by giving up the feeling of my-ness for the body one gives up the fruits of past actions.

This fallacy that the body is myself is the cause of creating in the imagination the idea of past actions. But how could something be true that is imposed or imagined about a fallacy?

From where can a thing be born which is not real in the first place? What has not been born, how can it be destroyed? How can a thing that is unreal have past actions?

The my-ness with the body is the result of our ignorance and it is destroyed totally by enlightenment. Then how does the body remain? It is to satisfy this doubt of the ignorant that the scriptures have outwardly attributed the continuance of the body to past actions.

Wake Up! This is a Dream
http://www.balbro.com/heart/beat15.htm

[:D]

Yonatan

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »
Hi jono, ummmmmmm, what I can say is that if you have a disease now then you can do all you can to get rid of it. If a disease will come in the future (may it not come for you and may you be healthy, but we don't know), it will come no? at that time it will come. Right now we don't know anything about any disease happening right now or in the future..... right now you can take all the required measures for making disease not come. is worrying about it helping?

Love,

Yonatan

maheswari

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 05:54:10 PM »
hello Jono....
i like ur honesty...a very close person to me has OCD....and it is not fun...
the karma of the physical body can NOT be changed...
everything that happens is the best thing that can happen...
off course you can take all the required safety measures...but ask yourself:are you the body?

kevincann

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 12:27:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

hello Jono....
i like ur honesty...a very close person to me has OCD....and it is not fun...
the karma of the physical body can NOT be changed...
everything that happens is the best thing that can happen...
off course you can take all the required safety measures...but ask yourself:are you the body?

Let me ask you this:

Babies, infected in the womb by their AIDS carrying mothers,
whose fate is to suffer terribly and die..

What does your inner guru say about this?

I received an answer, but I want to hear yours.

This subject, of physical karmas interests me, due to
my autism, which formerly made me angry with god.

Love,

Kevin Cann

maheswari

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 02:33:46 AM »
kevin ...the first thing that came to my mind when i read your question was: the fate of the baby was  due to bad karma done by himself  and nobody else...so the baby will suffer and die and it will take him even more time to reincarnate and even more time to Self realize.....
the bad karmas have unevitable consequences on the physical body (which we are not) the only freedom is to turn the mind inside......this is the teachings of Ramana Maharashi..........kevin check the following link....about the mental attitude of Ramana Maharshi and Ramakrishna vis a vis their cancer.....
Love
maheswari

kevincann

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 03:15:03 AM »
quote:

kevin ...the first thing that came to my mind when i read your question was: the fate of the baby was  due to bad karma done by himself  and nobody else...so the baby will suffer and die and it will take him even more time to reincarnate and even more time to Self realize.....
the bad karmas have unevitable consequences on the physical body (which we are not) the only freedom is to turn the mind inside......this is the teachings of Ramana Maharashi..........kevin check the following link....about the mental attitude of Ramana Maharshi and Ramakrishna vis a vis their cancer.....
Love
maheswari

Please post the link.. it didn't come through.

maheswari

maheswari

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 05:03:05 PM »
Kevin ...currently there is this topic by manigma in the Jnana section......the title is Death of i am...

kevincann

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 02:13:01 AM »
quote:

Kevin ...currently there is this topic by manigma in the Jnana section......the title is Death of i am...

TY [:)]

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 12:02:27 PM »
11jono11:

Yes in a way whatever is going to happen will, but we can change our perception of it, which will seem to change everything.

In a toxic environment the best things to do are the same as any environment. Make sure your immune system is robust, and stress is minimized:

1) Meditation twice a day will keep the stress and worrying down, which are toxic to the body.
2) Peak 8 interval training exercise three times a week will produce human growth hormone and boost the immune system. Instead of doing aerobics and keeping your heart rate within your zone for your age, peak 8 raises your heart rate above your zone, into the anaerobic area for 30 seconds, then let it fall 90 seconds, repeat 8 times. Of course you start with one and build up.

3) Then eat a diet high in raw veggies, and drink a lot of water.

Together these three things will give you an incredible immunity to your toxic environment.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 12:04:24 PM by Etherfish »

maheswari

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »
kevin .......i am curious what did ur inner guru tell u ?
<3

nirmal

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 07:18:57 PM »
For some reason I have thought that the more difficult and painful life was when more spiritual learning took place. This may be from a former life.And that those here in this carnation seemingly to have it all did little to no spiritual learning at all.(movie stars,models,business tycoons,etc.) And karma is what goes around comes around. When, who knows? But Yogani has spoken about this: free will to change our "fate" ourselves. I've enjoyed reading your answers!

Love,
nirmal