Author Topic: The Power of Fasting  (Read 1516 times)

Akasha

The Power of Fasting
« on: June 12, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »
You might have heard of a book called 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle.

Well this is the power  of fasting.

Many over-eat. Yes...

Another option is to eat one meal a day, preferably vegetarian.

Just be warned that this will amplify the effects of practices, particularly if you suffer from poor or sluggish digestion.

I cannot extoll the benefits of fasting enough though it may not suit everyone.

I always remember that saying  that if you can control or influence  what comes  in your mouth as well as what comes out of it you will go far.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:35:16 PM by Akasha »

Delara

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »
Frankly speaking when I read The Power of Now & New Earth for Echkart Tolle few years back,they didn't have much influence on me or at least that what I thought.
I'm sure now these books will make much sense to me with practicing meditation[:)]

And thank you for mentioning the power of fasting,Holy month of Ramadan-fasting- is less than two months away & never been more excited about it in my life[:)]...can't wait!
Love;
Delara
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:35:23 PM by Delara »

maheswari

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
dear Delara
with all due respect..i dont think that the fasting practice of Ramadan is healthy

Delara

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
I can understand your concern & respect ur opinion But of course I don't agree.
<3

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
The Power of Fasting
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 11:22:45 PM »
I hope you drink water during ramadan!
Fasting is healthy but you should build up to a long one with shorter ones first, starting with one day, three days etc.

Etherfish

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 11:25:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Akasha

You might have heard of a book called 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. . .

I cannot extoll the benefits of fasting enough though it may not suit everyone. . .

[:D]

Delara

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 03:28:47 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

I hope you drink water during ramadan!
Fasting is healthy but you should build up to a long one with shorter ones first, starting with one day, three days etc.

will do.
thank you for the advice Etherfish[:)]
Love;
Delara

Akasha

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 12:27:53 PM »
Dear Delara[:D],

I'm very happy that you're excited about it.

So Happy Ramadan & Happy fasting when it comes[;)].

I'm glad you might have found my post encouraging. With a little practice fasting is not that difficult i have been finding out myself.Once you keep your resolve for the first day it's pretty much plain sailing relatively speaking the rest of the time.Also depending on your constitution and/or metabolism unless one was under-weight i'd imagine it should probably be beneficial for most people.

It is a complete practice in itself and  will amplify the effects of meditation and pranayama. Personally i've had a slight problem with over-eating and i know all the yogic texts sometimes put some stress on the importance of not over-eating saying that it can be a major obstacle in advancement in yoga.If one wants to get serious with one's practice then i  think fasting is one to consider.

Another rough rule of thumb you find in the HYP is the rough maxim-
keep the stomach half full of food
one quarter water
& one quarter empty

Another suggestion is to always be ever so slightly hungry so that the fire of digestion still burns.

This is also all Great if you're say a fan of uuddiyana bandha or similar practices.Agnisara kriya,navi kriya, nauli,the shatkarmas etc.

Certainly more efficient digestion is certainly one benefit. Deeper breathing as the abdomminals are allowed tom come more into play and also thus releasing pressure on the diapghragM and lungs. This might explain why obese people might also have respiratory issues or slight wheezing etc as the bloated abdominals could have the effect of pushing the diaprhagm upwards and thus squashing the lungs so stopping them from expanding fully.

One of the greatest boons  however is the amplification of effects of practices.Practices get more powerful.

Ladles of Love To You My Dear[:p],

All Love,

Akasha[^]

P.S AYP & Ramadan could work well together.[;)]

hemanthks

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 02:06:07 PM »
Namaste Akasha: Thank you for the post. I was just considering fasting tomorrow (full moon day and lunar eclipse). It is said that, Sadhana becomes more powerful during eclipse.

So yeah, I will be fasting tomorrow (15th June)

Regards
Hemanth

maheswari

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 04:22:34 PM »
Etherfish explained very well what i meant....drinking water during fasting is essantial to clean the system....plus fasting should be moderated...like once per week all year long instaed of long successive period....long fasts drain the energy...plus one should know how to break the fast...breaking the fast with liguids and fruits...then maybe have some light solid food...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:24:23 PM by maheswari »

mathurs

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »
Hi Hemanth,
I try to do a fruit fast during the day and eat a light meal every chaturthi ( 4th day after the full moon) and I find it difficult to keep resolve. However like Akasha says it seems to have a very positive effect on practices. In fact even the intent is enough. I find myself minty in the mouth and stomach. So all the best and if your health allows - go for it!

hemanthks

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 11:15:07 PM »
Namaste Mathur:

I have tried fasting before and yes it requires enough determination. I also did fruit fasting and ended with light meals. This time, I am hoping to have just water. Chaturthi and ekadasi are good days to fast.

Etherfish

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 11:19:44 PM »
Yes water to clean the system, but also you will die without it, in a short time. Some people say three days, others longer.

Delara

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:15:02 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Akasha

Dear Delara[:D],

I'm very happy that you're excited about it.

So Happy Ramadan & Happy fasting when it comes[;)].

I'm glad you might have found my post encouraging. With a little practice fasting is not that difficult i have been finding out myself.Once you keep your resolve for the first day it's pretty much plain sailing relatively speaking the rest of the time.Also depending on your constitution and/or metabolism unless one was under-weight i'd imagine it should probably be beneficial for most people.

It is a complete practice in itself and  will amplify the effects of meditation and pranayama. Personally i've had a slight problem with over-eating and i know all the yogic texts sometimes put some stress on the importance of not over-eating saying that it can be a major obstacle in advancement in yoga.If one wants to get serious with one's practice then i  think fasting is one to consider.

Another rough rule of thumb you find in the HYP is the rough maxim-
keep the stomach half full of food
one quarter water
& one quarter empty

Another suggestion is to always be ever so slightly hungry so that the fire of digestion still burns.

This is also all Great if you're say a fan of uuddiyana bandha or similar practices.Agnisara kriya,navi kriya, nauli,the shatkarmas etc.

Certainly more efficient digestion is certainly one benefit. Deeper breathing as the abdomminals are allowed tom come more into play and also thus releasing pressure on the diapghragM and lungs. This might explain why obese people might also have respiratory issues or slight wheezing etc as the bloated abdominals could have the effect of pushing the diaprhagm upwards and thus squashing the lungs so stopping them from expanding fully.

One of the greatest boons  however is the amplification of effects of practices.Practices get more powerful.

Ladles of Love To You My Dear[:p],

All Love,

Akasha[^]

P.S AYP & Ramadan could work well together.[;)]

Thank you Akasha for this lovely reply.you covered everything & I've learnt a new experession from you today ..."Ladles of Love.."...cool I luv it![:D] ....
no I'm not underweight neither over weight.I have the perfect weight for my height.
I'm not new to fasting.& I used to fast outside Ramadan every monday &/or thursday & I find it easy... but since starting AYP meditation last year,fasting became an overload factor.
It's been a year now... hope I don't face any overload symptoms this year[:D]
thank you for the ramadan wishes(in advance) & hope you enjoy ur fasting too[:D]
Love;
Delara

Etherfish

The Power of Fasting
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 08:34:28 AM »
Don't you think you will overload if you fast for 29 or 30 days? That's an awful long time. I used to get weirded out after three weeks before I did any meditation.