Author Topic: Shatkarma  (Read 5418 times)

yogani

• AYP Plus
Shatkarma
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 02:11:34 AM »
Hi Alvin:

Basti is simple warm water enema with a gravity bag, hose with clamp, and an insert fitting at the end. Tap water can be used if it is free of bacteria. If not, use bottled water. Just fill up (a quart or so), either leaning over on the toilet or lying down, and wait for a few minutes before expelling. It is a good colon clean-out.

For spiritual purposes basti is done every morning before bathing and sitting practices, along with jala neti (nasal wash, discussed here). However, as mentioned earlier, this is not a routine for beginning yogis/yoginis, nor needed for advanced practitioners with ecstatic conductivity well established. That is mainly what these practices are for, middle stage cultivation of ecstatic conductivity, done in conjunction with a full yoga routine.

However, basti will clean the colon for sure, which is a useful side effect for health.

Can basti become a habit that we cannot let go of, so we are bound to the bag forever to eliminate? Not in my experience. I used it for a solid 3 years in the 1980s and it was an important part of ecstatic awakenings back then. Then it dropped off and I have used it only occasionally since then. Elimination becomes part of the overall ecstatic neurobiology, but it takes a transition (with a full range of practices) to get there. The cleansing shatkarmas are part of that transitional phase.

So you can see why I am dragging my feet on basti and cleansing shatkarmas in general. If you start with daily basti now, when will you stop? How far off is middle stage? That is the question. But if you need it for health, it can work. Obviously, you don't want to become dependent on it for elimination forever. If it is used mainly for health purposes, then maybe once or twice per week will be plenty. When the inner energies are moving (kundalini), your rising bhakti will let you know to do more basti and other shatkarmas.

Dhauti is the intestinal wash -- drinking salted water for a full GI tract flush. Is that what "Laghoo Shankprakshalana" is? Dhauti should not be done often. It does deplete the system much more than basti. Weekly would be a lot. Monthly is even too often for some. I rarely used it. It is drinking 2-4 quarts of salted water (about the same salt concentration as used in comfortable jala neti) over 10-15 minutes, and then lying down on the left side (best flow through intestines) for 20-30 minutes. Then run for the toilet. It's best to plan on at least a half hour of eliminating off and on, and then lie down and rest afterward. The salt causes the water to pass straight through the entire GI tract for a big flush out. Besides the cleansing, this can be very depleting. This is what hospitals have you do before major surgery -- complete emptying of the GI tract.

Basti is the more practical method, I think -- it can be done daily with relative ease (not a big operation like dhauti) and is not depleting. In fact, basti brings energy once ecstatic conductivity gets going.

Alvin -- As for all those cramps and difficulties in the colon, it sounds like stress. The cure for that is deep meditation and spinal breathing, and some consideration of lifestyle. Besides keeping up your spiritual practices as simple and relaxed as possible, you will be making choices as you move forward in life with education, career, living space, friends, lover, etc. How those choices are made will have a bearing on how you feel inside. Right now you are living a rather cramped and stressful life. Is it surprising that you feel cramped and stressed inside? Maybe you have not had a choice so far, but you will as time goes on. So choose wisely! [8D]

The guru is in you.

Alvin Chan

Shatkarma
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 04:06:50 AM »
Thanks riptiz. I have been looking for the name of "green clay" after I heard of it from the discovery channel (and unable to catch up with the terms "green clay") It sounds really promising (and natural. I used some chemicals(DMSA) to remove heavy metals before---rather dangerous)

Thanks your sharing, yoganni. Yes, stress. Sense of insecurity. But the syptoms go tightly with the cause, that they keep giving me more troubles than stress alone can! I spend more and more time on resting and relaxing, stay close with friends, etc. They are indeed valuable in their own right(maybe the most valuable), but ultimately my problems--both physical and psychological ones---are still there. If my health get better, I would surely have a better mood and attitude. That's why I am investing that much on my health. I tried many things---healthy foods, Chinese medicine, 30 kinds of supplements, expensive pillows and bed, pilates, asanas, acupuncture, now AYP.

Overall, I am moving towards the right direction-- I am less risky and extreme on my methods, and prefer tackling things inside first. But my physical body are still upsetting me seriously--- my mind usually goes with the condition of my GI track, my last "target" on my body after years of research. Sometimes the mind is the cause, sometimes the bowel is.

Yes, "Laghoo Shankprakshalana" is what you describe here, the sources I read suggests some squences of asanas instead of lying down, but I do think that the main effects come from the osmotic pressure of the salt water. I can feel that it's depleting. But it's still not as tiring as what I felt when my bowel get worse. So it's worth trying for me. I guess the reason for the depleting effects is the violent movements of the bowel, together with the neurotransmitters produced which upset us. I guess it's not harmful? Do I miss something?

Where can I get the bag for Basti you mentioned? And for more information? (The Basti I read involve sucking up water from the anus by doing uddiyana bandha and nauli. I don't think I can do that, though. )

I think the main obstruction lies near my anus. The hole is very small--from the way water ejected out today morning. And I have some mild pain around that area, which I think is due to the hardening layer of dirts. Will Basti help with that? A simple hatha yogic practice do just that ------ by cleaning it with our fingers!! I have to find a way to clean it using something else, and even then I have to overcome my phobia...

Frank-in-SanDiego

Shatkarma
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 05:20:21 AM »
Hari Om
~~~~~~~~

quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Chan

Frank, how's your experience with Ayurveda?

Hello Alvin, you have stimulated the AYP troops to bring you help!![:)]
I have been the practicing Ayurvedic approach for 20 years or so.
Key for me is the six tastes ( more if there's interest)that maintains ones health through good eating habits.

I have been to an Ayurved doctor many years ago; at that time I did need medical-maintence help.  I have found good results on my own just reading. Now, the doctor did something I could not do ( yet could be trained) - that is nadi vidya or pulse diagnosis. Taking ones radial pulse ( close to the wrist), a trained Ayurved doctor can diagnose both existing conditions, and those that are dormant that also need treatment. This site may be of some research use to you:
http://www.lifepositive.com/Body/ayurveda/naram.asp

Overall, I have found once you know your constitution, ( Vatta-Pitta, Kapha-Vatta, etc) , you can take care of yourself, unless your are really health-challanged. I prefer Ayurved doctors that are also MD's ( a.k.a part of the AMA) so they can treat you two diffenent ways.

I like the approach "physician, heal thy self" - and with Ayurved you can assist/manage your health by what you consume and the herbs/spices/rasa's you can add to your diet.
Last point - ingesting food is one part; the other is "ingesting" your environment, entertainment, social interaction and the like that comes in through the senses a.k.a. the 10 gates. Ayurved made it clear to me I need to manage the other inputs and stimuli that also enter into me.

Hope this adds some value.

Frank In San Diego

yogani

• AYP Plus
Shatkarma
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 06:07:26 AM »
Hi Alvin:

This is what I used for basti:
http://www.optimalhealthnetwork.com/product.asp?specific=jnkqnoo0

It can be found at drug stores in the West. Not sure about Hong Kong.

I found this page with a Google search on "enema bag." Lots of info came up. The internet is great, isn't it?

As for constricted anus, mulabandha/asvini can help in time.
See http://www.aypsite.com/plus/55.html and follow-up lessons later on.
But again, that is a spiritual practice more than a medical remedy.

All the best on your continuing journey!

The guru is in you.

Alvin Chan

Shatkarma
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2006, 07:29:18 PM »
Just want to share with you guys the experiences with my 3 rounds of Dhauti (Laghoo Shankprakshalana) done in these 4 weeks, in case anyone is interested. I have done the 3rd this morning.

1. The practice itself
Compared with the last two times, it's much much easier to drink the large amount of water without causing too much discomfort.

2. my body responses
In the first 2 times, it took me almost 2 hours before the first stream of water comes out(much later than what's described in books) , the remains come out some hours later This time, the first stream of water rush out in less than 1 hour. And the remaining water comes out within some 20-30 mins.

3. On the day of practice......
For the first two times, I feel exhausted on the day of practice. More emotional exhaustion and discomfort than physical, although both apply. Today, I am recovering fairly quickily. "normal" again in just about 3 hours.

4. Overall effects:
In the first 2 times, I do have an apparent relieve of constipation for some days. I am sure it would be the same this time. And my overall feeling was great too for some days after the wash. (in fact, I am doing it again today, because I start to fall back: both my constipation and overall sense of well-being, after eating too fast for several meals)

Still didn't try the basti with enema bag. It's much more embarrassing to do basti at my house. If one do the Laghoo Shankprakshalana with only about 6 glasses (around 1.5-1.7 liter??) of salt water, then according to Satyananda's book, it's ok to do it every week, or even every day.(though not yet possible or desirable for me at the moment) With more water, of course, one needs a much much longer rest.

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
Shatkarma
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 02:15:15 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled on it today, and thought I'd post in case someone reads it someday.
 I'm surprised nobody wrote that constipation is most easily solved by eating raw greens before meals. You should eat at least a couple hands full of raw greens minimum per day, preferably before the evening meal. It can be raw lettuce, celery, cabbage, bok choy, broccoli, parsely, anything like that. If you use a lot of thick salad dressing it takes away from it, but a light one is OK.
Raw greens do for solid elimination what water does for liquid elimination. Of course water helps solid elimination too.
You can work your way up to a lot more if you want and it doesn't hurt. (do it gradually!)

Also their are pills to re-establish healthy bacteria in the intestines.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 02:19:35 PM by Etherfish »

tannaz

Shatkarma
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 03:31:45 AM »
Hi Alvin
there is one Shatkarma that works immediately. It forms a part of the Basti group. Since it is not possible in todays times to do basti the way the ancients did it, Hatha Yoga has a self treatment called Shankhprakshalana. 4 to 5 (depending upon the school you follow)asanas are done at a time after ingesting a couple of glasses of warm salty water. One keeps drinking, followed by the asanas until the urge to pass stools happens. First, the hard stuff comes out, followed by progressively softer and more watery stools. Believe me it feels so good meditation is a delight after following the procedure.
In Shankhaprakshalana proper, you need to follow several precautions and do the same under the guidance of a qualified teacher. However there is a simpler version called Laghoo Shankhaprakshalana that is gentler, but not less effective. it is safe to do and can be practised very easily once you have learnt the asanas. The only difference between the two is the amount of water you drink in the gentle version is limited to 6 glasses in all

Teachers from the Bihar School of Yoga can help you if you have access to one. I can also type and send you the instructions if you wish. However some familiarity with Hatha yoga would be helpful, though not essential. Mail me if interested at tnazma@yahoo.co.in
All the best!

sadhak

Shatkarma
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 02:23:14 PM »
Hi Alvin
I have done Laghoo Shankaprakshalan, and taught it to several people too. It is very effective for consitipation and blockages, subject to some precautions. I hope you don't have acidity, however mild. I do not know what exact process you followed, so I am putting out here what I know.

What I learnt was: 8 large glasses of warm water with two teaspoons of kala namak (rock salt). Drink two glasses, do each of the five exercises dynamically 8 times, making sure that you follow the correct breathing. Two glasses of the water. 5x8 set again. Two glasses of the water. Last 5x8 set. Last two glasses of water go in. (That makes it 5x8x3 totally, with two glasses before, between and after each set). If this already sets you off to the loo, sit without straining. It is successful when you have gone many times and pass clear water in the end.

these exercises done in rhythm and with the right breathing are important because they activate the sluggish peristaltic movement of the intestines that then pushes out all the blockages.

LIE down in shavasana, without sleeping, and relax for atleast 45 mins after this.

It is important to not overdo the shatkarma... make sure to eat very bland food for the rest of the day and two days after, or the walls of the intestines and stomach may get irritated and lead to hyperacidity.

All the best[:)]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 02:24:38 PM by sadhak »

LittleTurtle

Shatkarma
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2006, 08:54:35 AM »
Alvin, I have had in the past some experience with this problem myself and being involved in the medical field I know of the potential dangers to ignoring the problem. You mentioned drinking enough fluids and that's good. I might suggest to make sure you are getting enough calcium in your diet, if not ask your health provider about a supplement. Some folks, if even they are getting enough calcium in the diet, seem to need more and because of the special calcium feedback mechanism in the body, low calcium doesn't show up on blood levels for a long time. Also a very good thing to do is eat plain yogurt every day. A big spoonful on an empty stomach every morning is very very good for the gut. Exercise like jogging or walking is good because it stimulates the nerves involved to keep elimination going well. Constipation is rare among dedicated joggers. You also might add a little olive oil to your diet, this is also good for the gut. I eat a little oatmeal daily which (along with calcium) has helped me greatly with the constipation problem! I have a stressful job and I've noticed that when I do have a problem it's always on the workdays, so I guess I tend to put my stress in the gut part of the body. Every one seems to have thier own way of placing stress! Enemas are good but laxitives, even the "natural" herbal ones, can be not so good in the long run because they are an artificial stimulant and if used too often your gut becomes dependant on them. I've seen it happen many times. Better to use the types of foods and exercise that promote easy bowel movements and good bowel health. Also, be sure to have your thyroid checked. Hope this helps. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 08:56:08 AM by LittleTurtle »

arjuna207

Shatkarma
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 12:08:59 AM »
I tryed following the instructions for short shankprakshalana, researching it on two web sites, but still, i can't get the water to go through. Advice, anyone?

lover

Shatkarma
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »

hello,
  just wanna ask if how much water do we need in a day..Thanks..[:)]

AYPadmin

Re: Shatkarma
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 12:50:17 PM »
anirbantrank
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2019 :  02:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit anirbantrank's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
You can start with Kapalbhati. It is a pranayama yoga technique that is performed in a seated position. It focuses on the abdominal area, exhaling air by using our abdominal muscles. That helps in digestive and excretory issues. You can refer to this article if you want - https://www.vedyou.com/blog/six-different-shatkarma-yoga-techniques-and-its-benefits/ There are other shatkarma techniques explained as well. I hope it helps you with your problem.