Author Topic: Actions as the measure for spiritual progress  (Read 2404 times)

Anthem

• http://www.inspirationalworks.net
Actions as the measure for spiritual progress
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 02:44:16 PM »
I finally got to reading Yogani's "Eight Limbs of Yoga" an excellent read and from my perspective laid out in a very clear and concise way and is extremely well written. I came across a section that made for a great list of behaviours or actions many of which would make for some useful milestones of spiritual progress.

A little quote from page 42 sums it up really well where Yogani indicates that the following behaviours "rise as natural tendencies as we develop more abiding inner silence and natural radiance in our life." :

- A reduction in harmful action
             - Increasing honesty in all dealings
             - The preservation and cultivation of sexual energy
             - a lighter more nutritious diet
             - An urge to engage in internal bodily cleansing
             - Spiritual study and self-inquiry
             - Intense desire for God/ Truth
             - Greater Inclination to serve the needs of others            
             - More equanimity and contentment in life.

emc

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 06:42:43 PM »
I experience that those changes only show up in periods of "highs". When in lows due to overload or other causes, they vanish as quickly as if they were never there. And that is totally independent of how hearty and loving and open the "highs" were! Rather, the greater the highs, the greater the lows, so when the pendulum swings there's no sign of these "milestones" in behaviour. At least I crash back into the worst parts of the personality...

Is that only me, or does other recognize that?

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 11:58:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Rather, the greater the highs, the greater the lows, so when the pendulum swings there's no sign of these "milestones" in behaviour. At least I crash back into the worst parts of the personality...

Is that only me, or does other recognize that?

I recognize it.. it will change. Just give it a bit more time emc.

As you open more.. the purification intensity gets stronger. Through the low stay with the attitude "this too shall pass".. and don't allow your mind to attach anything to the low phase.. don't visit the past to find a label to fit this moment.. don't analyze this moment.. just be in it.. and keep telling yourself.. "this is just a phase.. it will be gone.. I am not interested in knowing why, when, where, how.. it will go away". Don't try to wish it gone, don't try to alter the low. Keeping oneself busy is a good distraction, but in my case, when in a low it's hard to get motivated to do anything.

Then when you are out of it.. don't revisit it.. have amnesia and forget you had a low.. this way you are breaking the shaft.. you are not connecting one low to the next and to the next.. just enjoy the opening that comes after it.

The way I see it.. the low is happening now.. next moment the low is not there.. and not waiting for the future low, not telling myself.. well the next one is right around the corner. This moment there is no low.. last low was the past.. and past is just a dream.. next low who knows when it will be... and it is just imagination.   As you train yourself to not take the lows seriously (and I know how hard it can be.. I know how terrible I feel when in a low.. it's like who cares about spirituality, there cannot be a better tomorrow.. it's like the dark days of my depression.. the only difference is, during the days of my depression, I did not know I could ever be out of it.. but now, deep inside I know.. this phase will pass.. it always does) your mind learns to not attach to the lows.. and soon the low phases get shorter and shorter.

The "highs" was what I was not sure how to not be attached to http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=5006
and Katrine and Yogani gave the most awesome replies to that.. "give it away"..
http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=5006#43305
http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=5006#43298

Hope this helps a bit.[:)]

emc

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2009, 05:03:58 AM »
Shanti, thank you so much for your consideration. I know you have a big heart!

However, I can't help feeling it's a type of disease on this site to always assume someone has a problem and needs a lot of advice when anything at all (basically) is mentioned of how something is percieved. There are many "eager helpers" around here who jump in and help when no help is asked for... I certainly don't feel in need of any advice in a topic where we discuss if behaviour is a milestone of enlightenment. I am contributing to that discussion, not asking for any help. The communication becomes a bit weird when a problem is imposed on me like that, and the issue discussed is ignored...

So, I love your posts, Shanti, I just can't take them in really, because I sense you are defining a problem for me that I don't yet experience...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:11:39 AM by emc »

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 11:50:40 PM »
Guess I misunderstood your post emc.

Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:55:39 PM by Shanti »

emc

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 05:49:32 PM »
It's ok, Shanti. It's a great post and it will come to others who need it in the right time!

The topic as I read it, is about if behaviour milestones are reliable or not. When these swings come, the behaviour seems to go with it. There's not an increasing stability in better and better behaviour somehow. Can anyone of you hold the "good behaviours" when in low, mindy states? Are behaviours not following the state of mind and emotion? I see them very closely connected.

So... who would know if I'm ready to realize the next day, but today I'm behaving like a grumpy pain in the ass? Does that behaviour say anything of how "far" I have come, then? I never knew when realizations was to occur...

That was my point! [:)]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:49:41 PM by emc »

Sparkle

• MindfulLiving.ie
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2009, 12:11:43 AM »
For what it's worth emc, you come across, to me at least, as much more real and balanced when you are not on one of your highs[:D]