Author Topic: Living on light  (Read 21312 times)

yogani

• AYP Plus
Living on light
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2008, 01:46:53 AM »
Hi All:

If we are clear about our path and what works for us, that is great. However, when sharing, it is incumbent on us to offer what can work for others, rather than only for ourselves at our present stage. This is especially true for advanced practitioners who feel they have "IT" figured out, who may have more credibility and hence more responsibility.

It is particularly an issue in teaching non-dual self-inquiry (the Krishnamurti conundrum), but also for anyone who feels like they have reached a level of understanding that others should "get" straightaway without having to travel their own path. It doesn't work like that.

The AYP Self-Inquiry book goes into the "wise teacher few can benefit from" scenario in some detail, because this is a common problem in the field of self-inquiry. But it can happen with anyone who has a revelation about "what works."

This is why we have multi-fold paths and, nowadays, open source knowledge, so everyone will have an opportunity to find their own way, rather than spending too much time listening to some fool on a hill. [:)]

The guru is in you.  

david_obsidian

Living on light
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2008, 03:28:07 AM »
Nice response Yogani, and you gave me some things to listen to.

P.S. I've edited my above response and added some more stuff.

P.P.S.

Yogani said:
rather than spending too much time listening to some fool on a hill.

[8D] Which brings up two risks which they should teach you to avoid in yoga school:  (i) that of listening too much to fools on a hill, or (ii) that of becoming such a fool on a hill ourselves.  I've got (i) down, and as for (ii),  I'll settle for not being on a hill.

emc

Living on light
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2008, 05:38:25 AM »
Excuse my bad English, but can someone rephrase Yogani's post so that the direction of it gets more clear? Can't figure out the turns in that post... And I immediately feel like a fool on a hill. I don't understand the meaning of "incumbent" not even after looking it up in a dictionary. Do I get it right that we should share and offer what we think may benefit others? But not get into the trap of thinking we know what's right for others? Is Yogani in fact implying that anyone who tries to teach another what might work is a fool on a hill? Are advanced practitioners more prone to become a fool on a hill because they just THINK they have gotten to know IT more than others, but still have a duty to share and thus are more at risk to become fools? Should we never listen to anyone trying to direct us, because they are perhaps fools on a hill??? Is David or Christi or both a fool on a hill in this discussion? [:D]

*knitting my sweater with a cat in the lap, on a hill*
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 05:39:49 AM by emc »

david_obsidian

Living on light
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2008, 06:24:09 AM »
EMC,

here'e my interpretation:

Do I get it right that we should share and offer what we think may benefit others? Yes. And that should be what benefits others, not what benefits us from where we are.
But not get into the trap of thinking we know what's right for others?  No, rather not getting into the trap of thinking that what is right for us is right for them.  Are advanced practitioners more prone to become a fool on a hill because they just THINK they have gotten to know IT more than others, I would say that's sorta true (though Yogani didn't say it) but still have a duty to share and thus are more at risk to become fools?  No I don't think he said that.

To go through this one in more detail, speaking just for myself now:
Are advanced practitioners more prone to become a fool on a hill because they just THINK they have gotten to know IT more than others,
I'd personally say that the risk of an advanced practitioner becoming a fool on a hill is greatly magnified if that practitioner becomes inflated. And it isn't just people we don't like who become inflated -- nice, kind, sweet, holy yogis whom we love become inflated too.  

Inflation is over-self-estimation, and over-self-estimation almost inevitably leads to straying from one's domain of competence.  (If you are the World Teacher, to whom do you listen?  If you don't listen, how can you learn?  If you don't learn, how can you teach competently? ).  Inflated yogis become fools on hills, in varying degrees.

Inflation is getting one's self-image wrong,  it is seeing oneself as larger than one is.  It can even be present with an aura of humility which is genuine in many respects. And as I'm saying, if one has an inflated image of 'enlightenment' and one is getting enlightened,  it's hard not to get inflated.  So the way one interprets one's developing enlightenment is critical -- if one sees enlightenment as making one better than others in some general scale of being, if one thinks one is becoming some sort of general-purpose superman, even a general-purpose spiritual superman, one is in danger of catching the yogic inflation disease and ending up a fool on the hill.

david_obsidian

Living on light
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2008, 06:30:40 AM »
Is David or Christi or both a fool on a hill in this discussion?

Ha, forgot this one.  I would say both. [:)]  All human beings are fools to a certain extent.  Only the mythical 'Superman' is a fool to no degree whatsoever.  We have to strive to be less of fools.  Ironically, if we cherish hopes of being Superman and totally fool-free,  we are almost assured of becoming great fools. But that's closely related to what Yogani said recently, 'Our wisdom is limited in direct proportion to the degree we believe it to be complete'.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:07:50 AM by david_obsidian »

Nirodha

Living on light
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2008, 10:43:15 AM »
quote:
Are advanced practitioners more prone to become a fool on a hill because they just THINK they have gotten to know IT more than others

I'm rather curious as to how one would define "some fool on a hill." The reason I ask is because, if one examines history, one will see that mystics were often perceived as "fools on a hill."

Under the best of circumstances these unfortunate mystics were merely ridiculed or shunned. And, under the worst, they were relentlessly persecuted, and often executed as well.

While some may feel that because we live in the 21st century now we're beyond treating mystics in the horrible manner in which they've been treated in earlier times. However, given some of my experiences, and that of others that I know, I don't think these dangers have truly passed.

Regarding the rest of the quote above: There's a big difference between experientially derived confidence and intellectually driven conceit. To an outsider they often look the same though. [;)]

Kind regards
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:42:08 AM by Nirodha »

yogani

• AYP Plus
Living on light
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »
Hi All:

No accusations were intended by the phrase "some fool on a hill."

It is anyone we may listen to beyond the bounds of our good common sense. It is we who create the fool on the hill in how we listen. We can turn the fool into a wise person just as easily, simply by accepting what is true in them and letting go of what is not.

There are no absolutes, though we often crave certainties to the point of distraction. There is wisdom and foolishness in everyone. Life is a never-ending process of separating wheat from chaff. The more abiding inner silence we have, the easier it becomes.  

It isn't about the teacher, after all. It is about the student, where the process of human spiritual transformation is occurring. It is good to keep that in mind from both the student's and the teacher's point of view. If all parties approach it like that, everyone will win.

We are all students, and the teacher lives in us too. But, in either case, only to the degree we long for our opening and move in surrender to the flow. All yoga practices are expressions of that dynamic.  

The guru is in you.

Nirodha

Living on light
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2008, 05:07:24 PM »
Hi yogani,

I certainly didn't feel there were any accusations encrypted in the statement. And, if I did I would have said so - I'm usually quite direct. However, I did feel the need to highlight the danger of labeling someone as a "fool on a hill."

One of the reasons I enjoy frequenting this forum is because it's remarkably free of slanderous accusations and character defamation. Most Buddhists forums I've frequented seem like war zones compared to this one.

Kind regards

david_obsidian

Living on light
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2008, 01:29:30 AM »
I didn't read Yogani's comment as an accusation aimed towards anyone either.  I read rather as a picturesque way of describing what the teacher-learner situation can turn into.  And of course, I'm using the image in my own way too (for which Yogani is not responsible),  when I point out how, in our capacity both as teachers and learners, we can create a fool on a hill situation by making certain errors.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:36:28 AM by david_obsidian »

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
Living on light
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2008, 06:21:43 AM »
Hi David,

quote:
Christi, I regret giving you offence and you have some reason to complain because of the way I wrote my response. I don't intend to say you say you're better than someone else, but you've certainly placed him, inadvertently, somewhere on a ladder/scale of diligence and persistence somehow; suggesting if he had more of it, he'd probably be seeing things your way on a certain issue. You've also placed him on a ladder/scale of development behind someone or something else, and even if you place yourself likewise, it's part of the same problem I'm getting at: he's right that you don't know where he's at, or (I'd say myself) what ladder/scale he's even on.

No offence taken at all David. I was simply pointing out that your accusations against me were without foundation. I don’t take offence against unfounded accusations, only against well-founded accusations. [:)]

There is a process of development in spiritual practice, which is pretty much the same for everyone. Everyone goes through similar stages in roughly the same order, and expands in very similar ways. So there is a line by which we can track our own progress and that of others. This line comes up in different ways in the AYP main lessons. There is a description of it in the enlightenment milestones lessons and the small volume on pranayama, explaining how purification leads to ecstasy and later to ecstatic radiance. The same lessons explain how silence develops into bliss and the merging of the two leads to the experience of Divine love. There is also a lesson on the unfolding of the heart, describing the process of kundalini awakening as it begins with the heart, later moves through the heart again on its upward assent, and later comes back to the heart as Divine love becomes manifest. Also, the Jnyana yoga book (self-inquiry) by Yogani outlines the line of progression in terms of identity that is taken as a spiritual practitioner advances on the path.

Personally I believe that all these lines of progression tie in with each other, as I mentioned briefly in another thread. In other words there is a direct relationship between the kundalini awakening sequence with chakras opening from bottom to top, and the development of ecstasy and bliss unfolding into divine love, and the progression of the sense of self as it changes with the evolution of the being. There is a great deal of evidence through the experience of spiritual practitioners over thousands of years, that this line of progression is a reality and is the best model that we currently have to work with. We still have some way to go in developing the model into a fully functional coherent model, but I see that as the next major step in the development of understanding the process of human spiritual transformation.

The system of radiant energy lines and the state of the chakra system is directly perceptible to people with spiritual vision. This means that anyone with spiritual sight can “see” how far someone has evolved along the spiritual path. Moreover, the human physical body (including the emotional and mental aspects of a human being) are direct manifestations of the state of the subtle pranic body. This means that everything we do, say, think, feel or write, is a direct result of where we are on the spiritual developmental line.

I don’t see the recognition of a line of progression as a problem at all. In fact, it is a very useful tool that can help many who think they have “got it” and “arrived” to realize that maybe they haven’t at all, and still have a very long way to go. All you have to do is work out where you are on the model, and you can see how much ground lies ahead. It could avoid a lot of “false peaks” scenarios.

Just to mention, I didn’t “inadvertently” place Nirodha on a scale of diligence and persistence regarding purification practices. I did it quite deliberately. Purification practices develop a particular aspect of the human system (the subtle nervous system), and directly cultivate the expansion of ecstasy into ecstatic radiance and bring about the manifestation of the divine body, a body of radiant light, which is capable of seeing everything in the universe as a manifestation of radiant light. The discussion was over whether Nirodha could benefit from these practices or not, or whether they would be superfluous, given his ability to abide in Samadhi for extended periods. It is not true that I know nothing about him as he has been contributing to this forum for a while, so I was able to base the advice I gave on a certain amount of knowledge.

quote:
And how can one interpret oneself as becoming superman, and not be inflated?

This is probably the biggest potential difficulty with AYP, and one that has been brought up before. It has been solved throughout history by the traditional Guru/ disciple roles. When people are fully surrendered to a Guru, and do everything they are told, it is very easy for the Guru to instil humility in the disciple when it is needed. In AYP there is much less of a Guru/ disciple role and so that benefit is largely lost. Yogani seems to be placing his hopes in the power of the cultivation of silence to bring about humility. It is early days, but I would say that so far, in the vast majority of cases it seems to be working well. It certainly isn’t a sure thing though, as history has proven many times, and we all need to keep our guard up.

Christi

yogibear

Living on light
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2008, 10:40:31 PM »
quote:
Christi wrote:

Personally I believe that all these lines of progression tie in with each other, as I mentioned briefly in another thread. In other words there is a direct relationship between the kundalini awakening sequence with chakras opening from bottom to top, and the development of ecstasy and bliss unfolding into divine love, and the progression of the sense of self as it changes with the evolution of the being.

Well said, Christi.

quote:
Christi wrote:

Purification practices develop a particular aspect of the human system (the subtle nervous system), and directly cultivate the expansion of ecstasy into ecstatic radiance and bring about the manifestation of the divine body, a body of radiant light, which is capable of seeing everything in the universe as a manifestation of radiant light.

Elisabeth Haich calls it the "diamond body" and states that this is one of the main results of practicing the exercises she teaches in her book, Sexual Energy and Yoga.

She wrote her books for the public because she stated that all indications pointed to it being the time when the truth would be
"shouted from the roof tops" and and made freely available to ever last individual.

I find that she and Yogani validate themselves over and over again and express the same truths rather routinely.

Best, yb.

Christi

Living on light
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2008, 07:18:01 PM »
Hi Steve

quote:
Steve wrote:
Hi Christi,

Great post ...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally I believe that all these lines of progression tie in with each other, as I mentioned briefly in another thread. In other words there is a direct relationship between the kundalini awakening sequence with chakras opening from bottom to top, and the development of ecstasy and bliss unfolding into divine love, and the progression of the sense of self as it changes with the evolution of the being. There is a great deal of evidence through the experience of spiritual practitioners over thousands of years, that this line of progression is a reality and is the best model that we currently have to work with. We still have some way to go in developing the model into a fully functional coherent model, but I see that as the next major step in the development of understanding the process of human spiritual transformation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In one respect, I would like to suggest that the model presented be expanded to include other possibilities in addition to bottom-to-top chakra kundalini development. There are mixtures and various combinations to the timing sequence in the unfoldment equation for each of us often dependent on our own nature-inclinations and the particular means of development and practices we choose to follow and how we live our daily lives.

For example, it is possible for the downpouring of love from above to flow down through the crown into the chakras, heart, etc. and work in concert with the cultivation of inner silence and the rising kundalini to introduce the awakening of the heart, its sweetness and beauty into daily life, along with the resultant unfolding of divine love, ecstasy and bliss altering the timing of the equation.

There have also been discussions about Aurobindo (Integral Yoga) and Ramana Maharshi (right side of the heart, amrita nada) that also infer variations to the strictly bottom-to-top model. I am not disputing the bottom-to-top chakra development via the kundalini, just that there are other things that can be going on simultaneously which could alter the timing sequence of the "progression of the sense of self as it changes with the evolution of the being" you spoke of.

Love and Light,
Steve

I'm glad you brought that up. Obviously the bottom to top kundalini model is not nescessarily the only valid model that we have to work with and we have to look at all possibilities.

I hadn’t included the “top down” approach to kundalini awakening largely because I am suspicious about its validity. As I see it, it works like this: Kundalini is stored in the Kanda chakra between muladhara and svadhisthana chakras where it lays in latent form until awakened. But even before awakening there is a small continual release of kundalini energy, which keeps the physical body alive. The energy rises up the central channel as a “hollow pipe” going up around the crown, up into the air several feet above the top of the head, and then descending down again through the centre of the crown (no longer as a hollow pipe) and coming down into the right side of the heart. Before kundalini awakening this flow exists but is so small that it is normally never noticed. After awakening there is often an initial strong surge of energy up the central channel, to one of the spiritual chakras (no.s 4 to 7), or even up into the air above the head. After the initial surge there is a very gradual ascent up through each chakra, until the whole flow becomes continuous from root to 8th chakra and back down to the heart.

I believe that “top down” kundalini practices aim to strengthen the descending current first, and to simultaneously open and purify the higher chakras before awakening the kundalini from the kanda chakra near the root. As such it is not really a digression from the standard model of spiritual transformation, but is rather a technique to bring about that same transformation more effectively. Whether it succeeds in doing so is another matter. Many people are coming to this site after having experienced a lot of difficulties through using “top down” kundalini practices, especially through using practices to directly open the crown chakra before kundalini has been awakened.

I simply haven’t seen enough evidence that “top down” approaches are safe when used by large numbers of people. I also haven’t seen any evidence that they really represent a different model of human spiritual awakening.

As far as Sri Aurobindo is concerned, even that great sage said in a letter to a disciple that the descending current would activate the kundalini from the root causing it to rise. In other words a strengthened descending current would cause a kundalini awakening from the root. Sri Aurobindo kept a very detailed diary for many years during his own spiritual transformation, which was later published in two volumes, and he certainly never mentioned using any kundalini practices, whether “bottom to top”, or “top down”. It is also not clear what practices he advised his own disciples to use which could be considered “top down” kundalini practices.

Christi

david_obsidian

Living on light
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2008, 02:57:55 AM »
Christi said:
No offence taken at all David. I was simply pointing out that your accusations against me were without foundation. I don’t take offence against unfounded accusations, only against well-founded accusations

Tip: if someone makes some conciliatory gestures, that's a good time to go into maximum-grace mode and not try to grab further capital.  I don't think it's fair to me to say I was making unfounded accusations.  They were neither accusations, nor entirely unfounded. It's more complex than that. And you certainly were offended-- the black-eye emoticon and the stern lecture are always good indicators. But I've already dwelt as much as I want to on the matter of presumed accusations and their falseness. Back to the matter at hand.

Christi said:
There is a process of development in spiritual practice, which is pretty much the same for everyone. Everyone goes through similar stages in roughly the same order, and expands in very similar ways.   So there is a line by which we can track our own progress and that of others.

I would say, not really,  particularly what I have colored in blue. There is one question about whether it is true at all that everyone goes through the stages in even roughly the same order, and even if so, further questions about our ability to know what this order is.  A major clue here is that different people from different traditions  will 'order' people entirely differently,  according to what their tradition has told them that the order is.  For some it is 'grades of samadhi'.  Because of  the human tendancy towards confirmation bias, people in those traditions will become dead certain that that order is the way things are.

We still have some way to go in developing the model into a fully functional coherent model, but I see that as the next major step in the development of understanding the process of human spiritual transformation.

Yes, I would agree with that.  When the model develops better,  I would also say we'll discover that it wasn't at all as simple as thought in the sense of providing a 'level' for a person.  Some kinds of development are likely to be independent -- it may be in some ways like tuning (independent) keys on a piano -- and not quite as simple as that either -- the keys may not all be quite independent.  And I think it will be understood then that people like Krishnamurti were not 'the final flower' at all.

Even if you could do it as accurately as you think (and I don't think you can), I don't think it is a good idea to 'rank' other people on the forum, to 'place' them in terms of spiritual development or purification. You may observe Yogani (whose knowledge of yoga I think you view as being greater than your own) clearly avoiding that kind of presumption.  Better to confine that kind of thing to people who have consented to hand the guru role to you.  Avoiding it here will be more helpful to everyone.

I said:
And how can one interpret oneself as becoming superman, and not be inflated?

Christi said:
This is probably the biggest potential difficulty with AYP, and one that has been brought up before. It has been solved throughout history by the traditional Guru/ disciple roles. When people are fully surrendered to a Guru, and do everything they are told, it is very easy for the Guru to instil humility in the disciple when it is needed. In AYP there is much less of a Guru/ disciple role and so that benefit is largely lost. Yogani seems to be placing his hopes in the power of the cultivation of silence to bring about humility. It is early days, but I would say that so far, in the vast majority of cases it seems to be working well. It certainly isn’t a sure thing though, as history has proven many times, and we all need to keep our guard up.

The real deficit in the guru-disciple system with regards to humility is that there isn't much to keep the guru in a state of humility, and in fact, there is much to knock him out of it. (Cue in a long parade of 20-th century illustrious guru-narcissists.)  And there's the rub,  with AYP and all,  in which you are your own guru.

I have offered a more modern solution to this problem. It's simple -- we simply understand that we are not becoming superman after all. If we have any egoic dreams of being the star of the yoga circus, we see the circus for what it is, and we give those dreams up. We have a more proportionate view of what enlightenment is, and of what we are becoming as enlightenment arises.  We understand that our 'gurus' and those great yogic public figures were not superman either.  We come to understand the mechanisms whereby our images of these people are inflated,  and what we are really doing when we dream of being like them.

Key to it all is that we understand ourselves in a realistic, non-inflated way, and likewise those we aspire to be like, and likewise we know the limits of the yogic culture in which we are immersed.  We must live in the truth about ourselves and others and our relationships should be based on that.

Yogani seems to be placing his hopes in the power of the cultivation of silence to bring about humility.

Inner silence will help with this problem for sure, but,  as you say, nothing presents any guarantee. Inner silence will help in the same way that good diet promotes resistance to diseases -- but good diet is never a good reason not to remove plague-rats from one's house.  And it's becoming increasingly clear to me that the expectation of becoming superman through enlightenment is a metaphorical plague rat,  that people cherish and want to keep as a pet. That much beloved spiritual figures before us have kept and cherished as a pet. The expectation of becoming a sort of superman is probably the biggest hook for narcissism imaginable. (Can anyone imagine a bigger hook?  If you can, tell me. ) Would the truth really contain an enormous hook for narcissism? Look for the answer to that question inside your soul. Know the truth, and the truth shall set you free, as they say.

This more correct view of enlightenment and people,  without the great hook for narcissism, is a foundational stone for anyone on the journey without a guru. ( Maybe it's not as fundamental if one has a good guru, but I think the truth is always better. ) It actually becomes more critical as the yogic journey really starts to get underway.  If not much is happening,  there isn't much happening to get inflated about.  Remember those words, 'The stone the builders rejected has become the corner stone'. At some point it becomes too late to fit this corrective stone into one's world-view (without much pain and turmoil); there will eventually be too much emotional investment in the illusory self-image and dropping it will be too painful so it will be retained -- who wants to let the cops come in and flush the drugs down the toilet when the party has 10,000 people in it and is really buzzing?  Better to flush the drugs down the toilet before the party really gets going. Too many yogis have fallen in one way or another, and it's time to take a cold critical look at the stilts they got up onto and whether we should really be so enthusiastic to get up on them ourselves.

This stuff has been brewing in my mind for years, and I've just started to articulate some of it properly.  Sometime I'll organize it all into a coherent message.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 03:25:45 PM by david_obsidian »

Christi

Living on light
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2008, 02:07:48 AM »
Hi David,

quote:
Christi said:
No offence taken at all David. I was simply pointing out that your accusations against me were without foundation. I don’t take offence against unfounded accusations, only against well-founded accusations

Tip: if someone makes some conciliatory gestures, that's a good time to go into maximum-grace mode and not try to grab further capital. I don't think it's fair to me to say I was making unfounded accusations. They were neither accusations, nor entirely unfounded. It's more complex than that. And you certainly were offended-- the black-eye emoticon and the stern lecture are always good indicators. But I've already dwelt as much as I want to on the matter of presumed accusations and their falseness. Back to the matter at hand.

No David, it was an unfounded accusation, just one in a long line of unfounded accusations that you have made against me on this forum. It would simply take me too long to list them all. And no, I was not offended, and I let you know that.  What you interpreted as a “stern lecture” was actually just a small piece of friendly advice. In fact your statement above that I was in fact offended when I had already told you that I was not implies either that I was lying, or that you know how I feel better than I do. The first would constitute yet another unfounded accusation, and the second would seem rather absurd.

But I do think others might take offence if they found themselves on the receiving end of similar unfounded accusations of the kind that you repeatedly level towards me. For that reason, I think you should look very carefully at what you write before you post it.

quote:
The real deficit in the guru-disciple system with regards to humility is that there isn't much to keep the guru in a state of humility, and in fact, there is much to knock him out of it. (Cue in a long parade of 20-th century illustrious guru-narcissists.) And there's the rub, with AYP and all, in which you are your own guru.

The Guru is kept in line by the fact that they are constantly serving their disciples. There are thousands upon thousands of spiritual teachers in the world, working in this way, and it is an incredibly successful system. It is thanks to this system that spiritual traditions have survived, and expanded over thousands of years. I have heard about a few cases (30 or 40 at most) where the Guru/ disciple system has gone wrong, and the Guru has abused their position (and their disciples). Almost all of the cases I have heard of, which have involved abuse of power, have happened in the United States of America. It looks to me as if this is more an American problem rather than a basic problem with the system, which otherwise works extremely well. There have been a handful of cases in India where the Guru system has been abused. But given that there are tens of thousands of spiritual teachers in India, this is more a problem with a few individual teachers, not a problem with the system.

quote:
Yes, I would agree with that. When the model develops better, I would also say we'll discover that it wasn't at all as simple as thought in the sense of providing a 'level' for a person. Some kinds of development are likely to be independent -- it may be in some ways like tuning (independent) keys on a piano -- and not quite as simple as that either -- the keys may not all be quite independent. And I think it will be understood then that people like Krishnamurti were not 'the final flower' at all.

I don’t see things developing in this way at all. What I see is quite the opposite. As increasing knowledge is coming to light in the field of human spiritual development, we are seeing more and more similarities, both between different spiritual paths, and in the way that humans develop along those spiritual paths. At very advanced levels humans are basically an expression of the same thing, and what they say is fundamentally the same, only the languages they use are different. Yogibear pointed this out above with regard to Yogani and Haich, but the same would be true for anyone from any spiritual tradition at that level of divine illumination.

quote:
Even if you could do it as accurately as you think (and I don't think you can), I don't think it is a good idea to 'rank' other people on the forum, to 'place' them in terms of spiritual development or purification. You may observe Yogani (whose knowledge of yoga I think you view as being greater than your own) clearly avoiding that kind of presumption. Better to confine that kind of thing to people who have consented to hand the guru role to you. Avoiding it here will be more helpful to everyone.

Actually, Yogani does it all the time. Every time he writes an email to someone, or replies to someone’s query on the forum, he pitches his reply to suit that person at the level that they are at. He wouldn’t give an advanced, complex reply to someone for whom it wouldn’t have much meaning, and, likewise, he wouldn’t give a reply suitable for a beginner to someone who is a fair way down the spiritual path already. In fact, his skill at being able to correctly pitch his level of reply is an indication of how far down the line he himself is. Any good teacher would do this, not just in the field of spiritual practices, but in any field. Many people in the forum do this also when giving advice to others, and we all get better at it, the more we cultivate inner silence through our practices.

quote:
And it's becoming increasingly clear to me that the expectation of becoming superman through enlightenment is a metaphorical plague rat, that people cherish and want to keep as a pet. That much beloved spiritual figures before us have kept and cherished as a pet.
The expectation of becoming a sort of superman is probably the biggest hook for narcissism imaginable. (Can anyone imagine a bigger hook? If you can, tell me. ) Would the truth really contain an enormous hook for narcissism?

We don’t get to choose what enlightenment is. All we get to do is to surrender to the process of spiritual transformation. How things unfold is not determined in any way by us. In fact, increadible things do happen to people along the path, powers do come and this is one of the greatest dangers that all spiritual practitioners face. There is an inbuilt hook for narcissism, if the spiritual practitioner thinks that the power that is coming to them is somehow the result of their own endeavours, rather than a result of surrendering to a power that is greater than their own individualism. This is the point where most gurus who have gone astray have slipped up. And all it took was one stray thought which they chose to believe in.

Christi

Christi

Living on light
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2008, 02:20:52 AM »
Hi Steve,

quote:
Hi Christi,

I am in agreement with most of what you have said ...

My point really was not suggesting a top down approach to kundalini awakening vs a bottom up but that there were also other valid combinations that are occurring in individuals across the planet. And perhaps more so, that the Heart, the atman, can be brought into the unfoldment equation at an earlier stage either singularly or in concert with a path like AYP, or a non-AYP bottom-to-top approach, top-to-bottom approach or any combination thereof. Doing so can change the timing sequence of the consciousness unfoldment equation.

quote:
As I see it, it works like this: Kundalini is stored in the Kanda chakra between muladhara and svadhisthana chakras where it lays in latent form until awakened. But even before awakening there is a small continual release of kundalini energy, which keeps the physical body alive. The energy rises up the central channel as a “hollow pipe” going up around the crown, up into the air several feet above the top of the head, and then descending down again through the centre of the crown (no longer as a hollow pipe) and coming down into the right side of the heart. Before kundalini awakening this flow exists but is so small that it is normally never noticed. After awakening there is often an initial strong surge of energy up the central channel, to one of the spiritual chakras (no.s 4 to 7), or even up into the air above the head. After the initial surge there is a very gradual ascent up through each chakra, until the whole flow becomes continuous from root to 8th chakra and back down to the heart.

It is interesting that you mentioned this process because just a couple of days ago I was reading some of Ramana Maharshi’s writings online and he was describing the ‘yogic’ path of development vs the ‘jnana’ path of development. The ‘yogic’ path being very similar to what you have described vs Ramana’s definition of ‘jnana’ being to move directly into the Heart. For me, personally, the term ‘jnana’ better describes the actual self-inquiry methods prescribed by Ramana Maharshi which by themselves were never that effective in moving me into the Heart. I am in full agreement with Yogani that the cultivation of inner silence is a practical prelude to that kind of method having any meaningful effect. However, if we go beyond the actual method in Ramana Maharshi’s writing to the process he is describing which is ‘entering directly into the Heart’ (not Anahata chakra) and if it were possible to truly enter into the Heart through some means earlier than that presented by the bottom-to-top yogic model, it could alter the timing sequence of the model and its corresponding states of unfolding consciousness.

From my own experience, I practiced AYP (deep meditation including mantra enhancements, spinal breathing, samyama) for several years which spanned a time both before and after my direct introduction to the Inner Heart along with the activation of the process of Divine Source's Love working in two ways, one flowing downward from above through the crown into the sushumna, chakras and the Heart and one flowing directly outward radiating from the core of the Heart (ie. the Inner Heart) along the passageway through the Heart and whole Self. Actually there is a merging of the two flows and they work together in concert as one.

The working of the Heart and the Love provided additional benefit enhancing both my practice and life. I combined the two practices (AYP and what I described) in a specific manner which was very helpful for me. I believe the results it produced describe a variation to the bottom-to-top model with a number of things occurring simultaneously. It effected not only the nature and quality of the kundalini development and arising ecstatic conductivity but also introduced the workings of Divine Source's Love and the unfoldment of the Heart into my life in a more complete way earlier in the equation. Along with the inner silence that was being cultivated by AYP deep meditation there was also a new found sweetness, a joy and happiness, and a love that radiated outward that was not there before, at least, not at the same depth and quality. In my everyday life, it had a directness, presence and accessibility that went beyond what samyama practice had provided by itself prior to introduction of the Inner Heart and the Love working in this way.

For me, my consciousness and neuro-physiology were coarse enough that I required specific help to move in this direction. But as is evident by many postings in this forum, similar Heart-Love awakenings are beginning to occur naturally for more and more. For many of you, deeper and more complete than my own. The spiritual environment we live in is changing, the possibilities of today are different than they were twenty years ago, even five years ago. Divine Source’s Love is working at deeper and deeper levels for everyone. As time goes on, supported by the Love I feel many will begin moving into and making the transition to the Heart in a very natural way earlier in the yogic equation than that offered by the traditional bottom-to-top kundalini model.

That was my primary reason for posting my initial reply. Not to promote a specific method bottom-up, top-down, etc. but to say there are now many individuals awakening across the planet and I feel for some of them this awakening may unfold in a way which could include variations to the timing sequence of the bottom-to-top model.

Love and Light,
Steve

Edited by - Steve on Apr 13 2008 03:38:51 AM

Lovely to hear about your experiences with the sacred heart, thanks for sharing that.

I agree that there could be a number of different possible scenarios that could play out with the unfoldment of human spiritual transformation between different individuals engaged in the process. In a scientific sense it would be a matter of examining many cases, spread out geographically across the globe and then drawing conclusions from there. I am sure this would be one of the research projects that could be assumed by any University, which sets up a department dedicated to human spiritual transformation.

It is not clear to me though that what you describe above regarding the heart differs in a fundamental way from the classic bottom-to-top kundalini model. In the model, which I described above, an individual can start wherever they like. They could start (as Gopi Krishna did) by meditating on the crown chakra. The resulting sequence of transformation would be the same (kundalini awakening from bottom to top), although it could be a bumpy ride along the way. An individual could also start by meditating on the sacred Heart (as Sufis do), and bringing the light down from above. I would suggest that the basic process of transformation would still be fundamentally the same, although there could be a stronger sense of love and universal harmony during the journey. There could also be an added element of danger.

In the simplified model that I presented briefly above, I rather left out the heart until the very end. That was really just to save time and space. A more complex examination of the role of the heart in the process of kundalini awakening would show that it does get involved at many stages: beginning, middle and end, as you describe.

Yogani describes the whole process very eloquently here:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus/201.html

Yes, I have heard also that "the heart is last to open." But I think it is more involved than that. In the lessons, we begin with the heart because desire is the engine that drives all yoga. Desire that is intensified and directed toward spiritual unfoldment is bhakti,
and this is all heart work. Practices feed back into the heart,
increasing bhakti every step along the way. So the heart is opening
all the time, along with the rest of the nervous system. Then
ecstatic conductivity begins to rise and we are melting in love
inside in the face of so much ecstasy and rising inner sensuality –
more heart opening. Finally, when shiva (silence) and shakti
(ecstasy) are merging and we finally go directly to the crown, then
it all pours down and the heart goes all the way into overflowing
pure divine love. Maybe that last step is what is meant by "the heart is last to open." But the truth is, yoga begins with the heart, the heart is opening every step of the way, and it ends with the heart, as we finally become an expression of divine love on earth.