Author Topic: Eating becoming a serious problem  (Read 2218 times)

anthony574

Eating becoming a serious problem
« on: August 17, 2007, 04:08:09 AM »
Hello, I have a somewhat serious problem that is happening regarding eating. I posted this in healthcare but it never really got read. If Yogani can chime in that would be much appreciated too.

I am 20 years old, 130lbs. I have been doing AYP for about 5 months and I have been vegetarian for almost 6. In the past years I have become extremely interested in Naturopathy and related fields. I do not subscribe to mainstream medicine (and rarely would need to) and maintain what I would describe as a very healthy lifestyle. I have good hygeine, I do not eat junkfood, I only eat organic or foods that do not have many if any artificial ingredients and I do not find this lifestyle to be a stressed one. Some people may think I am a bit obsessed because I scrutinize labels and know about every bad ingredient in processed foods (TBHQ, MSG, BHT, ect)...but I mean, who wouldn't want to know about exactly what they are putting in their body?

Now, semi recently since starting AYP practices it has been occuring to me that I am "eating too much". I will say I really like to eat and I defintley realize I associate many things with eating. I did a 2-day water fast after becoming vegetarian to clear my system of meats and it really put into perspective how much of an addiction food is. Ever since then I feel I am eating too much...not in the sense that I am gaining weight because that never happens (ultra-high metabolism) but in the sense that I am burdening my digestive system with too much to process. The concept of Caloric Restriction is based on the idea of not overburdening the digestive syetem with excess work, i.e. eating what is necessary and that's it.

I was always an overeater growing up - I did not have a good stop reflex and when going out to eat I would eat until my stomach literally swelled and I would have that horrible weighed-down feeling for hours. This is still a problem for me, but I think I have it a little under control. People may think it is no big deal, but I really don't like the way it feels. I think I am becoming sesnsitive to having too much food in the stomach. I have a real food addiction in that I can not stop eating even when past full...I will keep eating just for the sake of eating and that is where the problem is, I don't know when to stop....or rather I do, I just don't listen and then time and time again I curse myself for having done it. Granted, the foods I overeat are healthy ones - hummus, cereal w/ soymilk, banana chips...things of that nature or meals, but it is still not good for the body to overburden it. Once I feel that full feeling, it doesn't make me stop...I'll keep munching.

I try to think it is a product of my age - that I am still growing and my body needs more food, and I do not know if that is true, but I do defintley sense addiction. Now, I do not overeat to the point where it would make a television show, but say I eat a bowl of cereal...I may eat 2-3 more. Nothing extreme, but too much in my opinion to experience the light feeling you get when you eat LIGHT and nurtitiously.

On monday I decided to do a 24-hour fruit fast. This was not entirely because of the above, rather I felt inwardly drawn to do it perhaps because of my new amaroli practice. I did it and it felt nice...but when it was time to break the fast, I did it all over again. Rather than break it lightly like I said I would, I ate an entire container of hummus (one of my fav foods)and 3 bowls of cereal. And then ate another bowl at 4am (i was out late). Now this morning I am constipated because of this and that to me is a defintley a sign I am not doing my body any favors.

The thing I'm worrying about is when is this going to resolve? Fasting is not the answer for me psychologically...in fact, it only induces guilt when I come off of it and stuff my face again. I am probable going to do a 24-hour fruit fast one a week just to give my body a break once in a while.

I worry that I am on the verge of an eating disorder. I never thought I would experience guilt at eating, and people I know seriously can't comprehend it because I eat so healthy. In fact, I don't even know if I am truly overeating...it's not like I am eating constantly, I think I just go over the line sometimes. I feel like this practice is detrimental to AYP as well and often blame it more my percieved "lack of progress". I just don;t know how this is going to be solved, it is an addiction to the point where I literally feel helpless to curve it...so what's going to happen? I will eventually become anorexic? These things scare me deeply. I was even going to document everything I ate in a given day and then scrutinize it...and I'm pretty sure thats indicitive on an oncoming eating disorder, though I feel I am "above" that psychologically.

Anyway, this is getting long but I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while. If anyone has any helpful words to offer, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:44:41 AM by AYPforum »

nearoanoke

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 06:00:54 AM »
Hi Anthony,

I feel you know enough. It is just the implementation part that is going wrong. As far as yoga is concerned, eating light and nutritious always helps.

I have that over-eating habit too. Once when I reduced my weight, what helped me control my eating habits is drinking a lot of water. Keeping the stomach full with lot of water.

Also if you start some cardio vascular exercise like running, it will keep you aware of the fact "how much you need to workout to spend the calories you eat". That will automatically make you to control your eating habits. Including a lot of chicken (skinless, less fat) in your diet will help reduce the calories since it has no carbs and it fills you up. Ofcourse it is not a yogic suggestion.

bodybuilding.com/forum will be a good place to get some more advice

-Near

enlightenmealready

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 06:39:07 AM »
Sorry to disagree nearoanoke. The man only weights 130 lbs. I don't think he needs to loose any weight unless he is only 4' tall.

Anthony574, you may want to tell us how tall you are to give a little perspective. I think your right to worry about an eating disorder, although I have no practical advice to give, other than to say that I don't think you need to be upping the cardio or reducing your calories until you get the issue under control.

For what it is worth, I have done juice fasts for up to 14 days. I do find it cleansing, but it is not a long term strategy for weight loss. When I stopped fasting, it was amazing how good food tasted and how little I had to eat to feel full. It truly made eating a pleasure again for me. I had gotten into a serious over eating habit where I would just wolf the food down with little appreciation. For me, the fast was kind of the shock I needed to reestablish normal eating behavior.

The fact that you feel guilty after eating, especially after a fast, gives me cause for concern. I hope someone on the forum has more practical advice for you than I can offer.

clk1710

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 07:35:46 AM »
the best feedback i have for you is to assure you that you are not alone in feeling as you do around eating matters, there are many out there who feel and think as you do. i highly recommend looking up Overeaters Anonymous which is a 12 step program (all 12 step programs are spiritual in nature) and popping into a meeting near you to see if its a appropriate place for you. people sometimes get tripped up over the name "Overeaters" Anonymous but it really addresses any and all food-related concerns and many people really find it helpful. you can also email me if you have other concerns or question in this area. good luck! [:)]

anthony574

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 07:46:06 AM »
I am six feet tall. For being 130lbs I consider myself to be built thin and athletically, certainly not gaunt or emaciated. And I do engage in regular exercise from running, hiking, racquetball, ect.

It's certainly not a weight issue. I could eat a 4-layer chocolate cake every day for a week and probably not gain a noticable pound. It is more guilt about not eating a light nutritious diet and that I am putting a burden on my body.

enlightenmealready

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 09:00:45 AM »
Just another thought;  Perhaps the quantity is not the issue.  You mentioned constipation and eating dried food products.  Perhaps it really is as simple as increasing your fluid intake.  Alternatively, I know some people have an issue with soy milk as well.  If you are using soy products because of lactose intolerance, you could try khefir (various spellings of that).  It is a cultured, pro biotic dairy product that lactose intolerant people can usually handle.  It can also help with digestion.

matangi

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 10:19:23 AM »
Hi anthony574,

I share some of your interests: naturopathy/health fields/food label awareness/skepticism about allopathic medicine.  I doubt the duration of my self-discipline ever matched yours, but I did want to figure out how to eat and do it perfectly.  Of course, that didn't happen.  

What did happen is I grew weary of trying to do it "perfect" and settled for good enough.  The crazy thing is as I relaxed, my food habits actually improved.   Gradually, I understood that my body/food perfection/obsession wasn't really about food at all.  For me, it was about relaxing my fear and trusting myself more.  Acceptance was a big piece of it.

I still apply awareness and reasonable discipline to my food choices because I want to feel good.  I just don't give the food god so much power anymore.  

And every since, I've felt so much lighter.

I hope that you, too, find the light feeling you desire.

anthony574

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 02:25:02 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by enlightenmealready

Just another thought;  Perhaps the quantity is not the issue.  You mentioned constipation and eating dried food products.  Perhaps it really is as simple as increasing your fluid intake.  Alternatively, I know some people have an issue with soy milk as well.  If you are using soy products because of lactose intolerance, you could try khefir (various spellings of that).  It is a cultured, pro biotic dairy product that lactose intolerant people can usually handle.  It can also help with digestion.

by constipation, i just mean that i cant empty my bowels first thing in the morning as i usually do as my morning cleansing. if i eat something heavy too late at night this tends to happen.

i do drink a lot of soymilk as well as sometimes use soymeats and other soy products, but i have never had any ill effects. in fact, i actually kind of enjoy the descrease in sex drive that i think soy instigates as a side effect.

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 06:19:20 AM »
You could try these things:

1) make sure 3/4 of your diet is vegetables, mostly green and mostly raw. See the book "The PH Miracle" for the reasons, but you won't be constipated, and it gets rid of cravings and strenghtens the immune system.

2) Don't eat while you are doing something else. Sit down and think about only about eating while you are eating, and chew each bite completely.

3) Try the stretching exercise where you lay on your back on the floor, and throw your legs up and over your head and try to touch the ground with your feet. Eventually you should be able to touch yout knees to the ground on both sides of your head. This exercise makes it very uncomfortable to have an overly full stomach.

You are right to be concerned because you will hit an age where your metabolism changes and you will begin gaining weight quickly. Usually somewhere around 25 to 30.

Victor

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 08:56:47 AM »
I have been reading this thread and after seeing your height and weight and all that is said I would venture the opinion that you do indeed have an eating disorder, that is that you think or worry too much about food. I would advise you to relax and eat what you like and put your mind on other concerns. just be sure to have an empty stomach when you practice and the rest of the time to enjoy your food. You are underweight and the last thing that I would suggest is to get on some obsessive food trip about restriction. Just be happy and enjoy a normal diet that appeals to you for now.
 I am saying this because I was somewhat similar when i was in my early 20s. i was vegetarian and didn't drink milk etc. I weighed 140 lbs at six feet tall and never seemed to be able to gain weight. I also was a fanatic about intense yoga postures and I think that alot of this behavior had to do with not feeling comfortable with just relaxing and accepting myself as I was. The need to stretch or fast or do extreme things all are a form of stimulation or distraction from being able to quietly sit with oneself and feel a deeper release and openess. Meditation is so simple yet it can feel so difficult because of that simplicity and lack of striving. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that, take it as you will

AYPforum

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 03:44:41 AM »
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement

maverick_21

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 06:48:06 AM »
I have the same type of "ultra high metablolism" and I think we shouldn't consider it a problem, but a blessing.  This is because the average person puts on weight quite easily (in comparison) and therefore overeats with ease.  However, people like us can relax and enjoy eating to our heart's content because our problem is undereating.  I used to have a nearly identical frame as you (6'2 135 pounds) and in hindsight my calorie intake was far too low, and I was weak (with regards to both strength and constitution), and had low self-esteem.  Now, at 170 pounds (still quite thin) I make sure I eat at least 4 meals a day and take in 2000-3000 calories of healthy food.  In a normal person this would be considered overeating but for folks like us it is not.. why? because if we don't eat that much our body quickly shrinks into an unhealthy state.  In a spiritual quest a strong, healthy body is never a detriment.  I am not suggesting to follow my route in calorie consumption, but I would put fasting on the back burner for now and lay off worrying about food... enjoy one of life's great pleasures.

matangi

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 07:30:04 AM »

I would like to applaud a couple of ideas expressed on this thread that shine with wisdom, imo.

Victor said "I also was a fanatic about intense yoga postures and I think that alot of this behavior had to do with not feeling comfortable with just relaxing and accepting myself as I was."  

Maverick_21 said "I am not suggesting to follow my route in calorie consumption, but I would put fasting on the back burner for now and lay off worrying about food... enjoy one of life's great pleasures."

Thanks for sharing!

matangi

anthony574

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 09:26:38 AM »
i defintley accept myself in terms of weight. i used to care a lot about striving to be the alpha male figure of masculine strength...but now rejoice in being thin and light!

i think im doing better with the eating. i accept that i eat frequenty but look at it like this - Yogani says to eat light and nutritious...but no matter how much I eat, my weight never changes so in a sense *I* and light and nutritious regardless.

I think my only practical goal at this point is to avoid overeating - the is the point where nasuea and discomfort ensues.

hapu

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 01:42:25 PM »
If you're not already doing so, maybe you could cut down on some of the grains that you're eating, but without losing any weight, if you replace some of your grain calories with some raw high calorie/nutrient foods like raw nuts and seeds.  A small amount of raw nuts and seeds can supply a lot of calories and nutrients without having to overeat them to feel satisfied.

A lot of people tend to overeat grains in particular.  

High gluten grains can be particularly difficult to digest, and especially for anyone who is sensitive to gluten.  You might try cutting down on wheat and replacing it with a lower gluten grain like kamut.  Or try buckwheat pasta instead of wheat pasta.  Or spelt bread.

SPROUTED whole grain products are easier to digest for some people (Ezekiel products).

Some people are sensitive to soy.  Unfortunately, many of us overeat exactly the foods that we're sensitive to.