Author Topic: Fasting  (Read 832 times)

ak33

Fasting
« on: April 21, 2013, 04:55:53 AM »
Hey guys, I want to try fasting and examine what effects it will have on my body. I think starting with skipping one meal a day would be ideal. But when can I consider a full fast (only liquids) and is it safe to do so at my current level, which is only 3-4 months of deep meditation?

bewell

Fasting
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 05:10:04 AM »
My two cents of fasting:

If you are inclined to do a fast, definitely give it a try... for one meal or for a full day.

Enjoy,

Be

BillinL.A.

Fasting
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
You're expressing the right attitude Ak33.  Seeing how a missed meal affects your body and mind and sitting practices is self pacing at its best.  That's all that matters is how it works for you.  Of coarse Yogani's powerful affirmations of fasting's spiritual benefits is a big motivation.  As a young man skipped meals can be a big step.

Since high school I knew fasting should be a part of my life but never did it much.  So I've been working up to the liquids only every other day for 3 or 4 days a week.  Doing this over the last 4 months I've lost 25 pounds and gained mentally and got motivated to do the AYP sitting practices for the past couple months or more.  But my libido's going bonkers but I blame SB and meditation for most of that.  [:D]

ak33

Fasting
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:10:02 AM »
Just to update. Tried a 24-hour water fast today, went quite well. Started with a light meal the night before and continued until the next night. The morning wasn't too bad, a couple of smelly burps, some body odor and a lot of using the washroom (cause of the water). The afternoon and the few hours before breaking were pretty hard. Overall, my mind wandered much less, and I'm going to keep fasting for one day each week.

BillinL.A.

Fasting
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »
Nice effort ak33!

Your smelly burps and body odor gave me a really good laugh.[:p]

Mykal K

• http://www.aypsitehr.org
Fasting
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »
Hi ak33,
Just to add that fasting helped me with sinus infection. If someone has problems with sinuses, I would suggest him/her to try fasting. For me the infection is much more bearable (no pain in the forehead or nose congestion or problems concentrating),  - and quicker to end (last time over in 3 days as opposed to 5-7 days when not fasting).
Today is my second day of fasting. Just a slightly running nose.
Sorry for bumping into this thread, but I am very pleased with fasting these last two days![8D]

Victor

Fasting
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:21:12 PM »
Fasting for a few days shouldn't do any harm as long as you get enough fluids. I wanted to lose weight about a year ago and cut down to one meal a day for awhile. I admit that I felt hungry quite a bit but it wasn't unbearable. I lost my goal of 30 lbs and then when I resumed a more usual eating pattern I found that on some days I just ate one meal because I felt like it. Just don't ever deny yourself water and for first attempts it is good to have juices and teas as well.

emc

Fasting
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »
Funny, the latest months I've had this voice inside saying "you should do some fasting". I felt joyous and almost longed for a fast. But never took action. Then several people recommended me to watch a TV-program about fasting. Very inspiring. Scientists have found that a fast now and then decreases a substance in the liver that is harmful and causes diabetes, cancer and coronary diseases. We live longer and healthier without that substance, so fasting 1-2 days a week was recommended for all. However, I still didn't take action.

Then the other day, I was offered an appointment with my ayurvedic councelor, and he checked me out and smiled and said: You should do one day fasting/week from now on. :-D Now, there's no escape. I have decided Sundays will be my day of liquids and prayer. Very traditional, no? LOL I love the way Life prompts me in different ways, when I'm too stubborn and don't listen to my initial intuition.