Author Topic: 2 Ishtas?  (Read 1029 times)

NatanEpsilon

2 Ishtas?
« on: September 07, 2010, 04:00:03 AM »
Hi to All,

I've been practicing Deep Meditation for 2 months and have such a wonderful bliss in my life with its results. After 30 days of practicing I added Spinal breathing Pranayama and 5 days ago I add Samyama practice. It's wonderful how all this practices give gradual growing of inner life. I'm more peaceful from inside and my life is filled with joy. Thank you so much Yogani! God bless you!
Lets start with the question. Yesterday I was listening to Yogani's audio interview on youtube about Bhakti and Ishta. I also read the lesson about Bhakti in AYP book of how to use Bhakti in your daily life.
The question I want to ask here's, is it ok to have 2 Ishta's? One Spiritual and one Career Goal Ishta (Ishta for success in my career).
I need to know where to direct the energy of my desires/frustrations and other emotions. I have two intentions in my life that are above all other intentions. The one is to developed my character/personality and to grow in merging with the divinity in me. That leads me to exploring different kind of spiritual practices (which eventually brings me to AYP). The other intention is to succeed in my carer.
So I need to know where to redirect my Bhakti, on which Ishta? Or may I use both Ishta's?

Blessings to All,
Natan

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:59:58 PM by NatanEpsilon »

Clear White Light

2 Ishtas?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:39:05 AM »
Hi Nathan,

It's alright to have as many (or as few) Ishtas as you feel inclined to have.  It's good that you feel your sense of devotion to a higher ideal expanding.  It's not really necessary per say to have a separate ishta for each separate aspiration or intention.  But if that is what you feel inclined towards, then I say just go with it.  Your intuition can guide you better than any of us can.

Over time you will find that you concept of "Ishta", or God, or whatever will change.   And it should change;  It's a sign of growth.  It's good that you're willing to go with those changes, instead of fighting them.  Many religious types would experience quite an existential crisis in your scenario.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:21:37 PM by Clear White Light »

NatanEpsilon

2 Ishtas?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 01:55:36 AM »
Thank you for your answer Clear White Light.

Best,
Natan

rkishan

2 Ishtas?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 12:39:33 PM »
I get similar questions on my mind at times.

In the philosophy of vedic sanatana dharma four human goals are commonly described for every one.  1. Artha (The bare necessities like food, clothing, shelter etc.), 2. Kaama (defined as luxuries - that is anything beyond the bare necessities to live), 3. Dharma (To live according to one's essential nature, to exhaust the accumulated karmas and not add additional karmas) and finally the Moksha (Liberation).  It is said that Moksha or liberation is the ultimate goal for everyone.  But the others are also accepted as the human goals, because the seekers are at various levels.  In order to reach liberation one has to go through the other human goals also.  So, the vedic scriptures say that the pursuance of the necessities and luxuries (which would include one's career) of the life are ok, as long as they are done in a proper way (following the dharma).

So, when I set my ishta or desire or bhakti as the Spiritual progress, this is my first and only goal; to progress towards liberation.  How do I progress spiritually and attain liberation?  I have a family and the responsibilities of a house holder.  I have a duty to support my family.  Career is an important tool that helps support my family.  Therefore performing my career according to the dharma also becomes a goal or ishta.  But, I see it more like a sub-category or a tool that helps me to progress towards my primary ishta, rather than two ishtas or desires or goals.  The ultimate goal, desire or ishta is the spiritual progress and liberation.  But, in order to get there from where I am, I have to exhaust the karmas that I have accumulated.  This process of exhausting the accumulated karmas requires me to go through a path that involves pursing the other goals like Artha (bare necessities), Kama (Adequate living for me and family through career, etc.) in the dharmic way and doing service to others and the society without any expectation of results.

So, if I set my Ishta as the liberation or spiritual progress.  I see the pursuance of the bare necessities, the career,  and some luxuries in a dharmic way as tools that will ultimately take me to my primary Ishta which is liberation.  My bhakti is still towards my one and only primary ishta.  But that same bhakti towards the ishta guides and drives me to do these other things to go from point A (where I am) to point B which is the liberation.

In conclusion, I feel that directing our energies like a powerful laser beam towards one primary ishta/desire/devotion/goal is more powerful than dissipating the energy in many directions.  If the other desires are compliant to the primary goal, and we are clear in our mind that these other ishtas or desries are only tools to help us progress towards the primary Ishta, then it is ok.  But there should only be one primary ishta in my opinion.

Regards,
Ram.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:20:15 PM by rkishan »

NatanEpsilon

2 Ishtas?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »
Hi Ram,
I must thank you from the bottom of my heart for your response, because you make it wonderfully clear to me the core stuff of the subject of what I was confused.
THANK YOU!!!

Many Blessings
Natan