Author Topic: Tantra and Sitting Practices  (Read 686 times)

ak33

Tantra and Sitting Practices
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:55:47 AM »
Hey guys, I have recently started the tantra lessons after 2 months into my sitting practices (daily DM and SBP). I used to masturbate about 2-3 times a day, but for the last week I have abstained through use of the holdback method (and willpower too). My question is, how does increasing my staying power aid me in my sitting practices? Or does preserving the seed itself aid in the process of spiritual transformation? I am fairly young, only 18, and sex is very infrequent. So should I be practicing tantra at all?

bewell

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 02:56:24 AM »
Hi ak33,

In response to your question, here is how I see it using some key terms that link to the AYP Lessons. Staying power aids in the development of "inner sensuality" and in the appreciation of "pre-orgasmic bliss," both of which contribute to, or indeed are integral to the rise of "ecstatic conductivity." Deep Meditation cultivates "inner silence." Our aim is to wed "inner silence" with "ecstatic conductivity," in a stable relationship of "ecstatic bliss."

Conservation of semen can be taken to extremes, but in AYP, we take a very practical, moderate approach. Sounds like you're headed in a beneficial direction.

Phase one is to get into a stable practice routine for cultivation of inner silence. It is a lifelong process. No rush. Enjoy the journey!

Peace!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:00:55 AM by bewell »

Victor

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:28:43 PM »
What Bewell said. semen conservation increases a feeling of deep energy flows in the body. It is like charging your sexual or spiritual battery as teh energy can be used any way that you use energy. It takes at east a week to really feel it and it intensifies over several weeks. No need to go to extremes though. If you have the opportunity for great sex once in awhile I personally think its fine but think of it as giving your partner a special gift. Meanwhile it is good to charge your batteries and not deplete them out of habit. It really does help the strength and deeper feeling in sitting practices, and sitting practice helps keep you centered and energy flowing well

ak33

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:46:12 AM »
Okay, I see. But wouldn't not masturbating (or pre-orgasmic masturbating) increase sexual frustration?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:20:43 AM by ak33 »

Victor

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »
Any change of habit gratification will cause frustration in the short run, be it drugs, food, music, internet,or masturbation. There is not a physical requirement to masturbate regularly, it is a habit that one gets used to. It is a useful practice not to be ruled by our habit patterns so if for that reason alone it is good to explore these practices.

Radharani

• http://www.francisandclareyoga.org
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »
My husband found conservation (including pre-orgasmic masturbation) to be frustrating at first, but once he got used to it after a month or so, he really appreciated having more energy!  Now when he does come, a couple of times a month (based on age; might be more frequent for you), he feels a bit drained afterwards.  So conservation is definitely worth checking out, especially in light of the benefits to your meditative practice.