Author Topic: flowering of conscioussness and worldly life  (Read 1731 times)

YogaIsLife

flowering of conscioussness and worldly life
« on: August 18, 2008, 06:18:36 AM »
I wrote an email to yogani and he suggested I bring it up in the forums as well, to hear more suggestions and to share my own feelings. Althought I shy from exposing private feelings in public most of the time (and I have never ever engaged in online forums before - AYP is a great exception!) I have done that in the past here so here it goes again! [:D]

I have recently saw an inspiring and illuminating interview (his last one actually) of Gopi Krishna (can be seen here: http://www.ecomall.com/gopikrishna/). Watching it "put things together" in my mind and things made sense for me, from my own life experiences and the perceptions I got from my life and ideas until now. I am quite young still (31 - at least I see myself as young!), and I do feel decisions I make in my life are still important for my development as a human (spiritual) being. And I want to make the best ones for a smooth, stable and fruitful blossoming of my own consciousness.

The thing, you see, is that my path has been a bit troubled, in what concerns consciousness. I had clear experiences from which I learned that energy (or mind, or conscioussness, I think you know what I am talking about) can be dangerous, that it is powerful, and it affects everything in us, it can change us dramatically, and the way we see and act in this world. I had have 'insights' and periods of 'unstable mind', etc. I am still not sure and probably don't want to equate the two but only recently I have been reading about kundalini and I believe now I had maybe glimpses of it. I can say one thing for sure: I have experienced an immense power at work inside me that, almost instantly, has shifted my perceptions. Sometimes it meant blissful existence for many months. Other times it meant anguish, depression and mental instability for years. I have been struggling hard to find a balance mainly through my own will power and only recently found yogani's teachings and
have been doing deep meditation and a bit of spinal breathing and feel more calm, centered and less prone to the fiery bites of anger, frustration and emotional rides.

In his interview Gopi says that man must seek to live a pure life, as the many religions have pointed to through the ages, and I do find this to be true through my experience. I sense though that this purity is mainly a purity of mind and spirit (an 'internal' purity), with qualities such as humility and service to others. But in this confused and complicated world it is sometimes hard to decide a course of action that will lead to this kind of life, that will set the conditions for a smooth and fruitful awakening.

I wanted to ask you this: should we be preoccupied with the context of our lifes (such as the job we have, the place we live in, etc.) or should we mainly focus in rightful living within this context? I know yogani says that through deep meditation the rightful action will emerge naturally and I do believe this is so, but in the meantime I have to make decisions. At this point in my life where I am still not fully awakened it seems as if I have no real choice, as if I am pushed towards an 'inevitable' scenario. What deep meditation has been helping me with is in 'accepting what is', not struggling against the choices that seem to be made for myself, as I have been until now. In short, helps me in 'being in peace with whatever is now'.

You see, I am about to go back to a country in which I had bad experiences (the emotional instability etc.) to try to finish a PhD in environmental sciences. It is a cold country and I am away from family members. Also, more and more, science says nothing to me and I see it as a way of promoting destruction of the earth as well as enforcing the mind-made world that created only suffering. On the other hand I have no 'real logical' reasons not to do it (hence my struggle) and I see that all the negativity I find when thinking or living in that situation seems to be mind-made and is fueled by deep emotions of fear, despair, anger and frustration. I have wonderful supervisors (as human beings) and not bad conditions in the host country and I have no reasons not to return except for this irrational fear of dying in the meantime (while plane travelling for example), or fear of falling prey to depression and pain again. And deep down I know this are projected fears based on past experiences, but also am fearful of having kundalini symptoms again or not setting for myself the most suited scenario for a steady smooth development.

You see, I took six months off (returned home) because I was in a really bad state and it was during this time that I found AYP and deep meditation and that I am gradually finding harmony and balance within myself and suprisingly found the courage to go back and even the will. I have pondered deeply why I would go back and it would be as a service: a service to the people that employ me mostly and to the world as it is. It seems like the natural step, it seems inevitable, no other reasonable choice came up at this moment, not one that I would morally accept anyway (it would be like 'running away').  

So, I guess my question is a general one: how can one live a purer life in such an impure world? I have thought many times in retiring to a small village and living off the earth, living a simple life etc. Somehow I haven't found the guts or, rather, it is like something inside me saying that this 'running away' is not the solution either. So, how do we find balance in an unbalanced world? And furthermore, perhaps more importantly, how do we give ourselves the nurturing conditions for a steady, smooth and healthy flowering of our conscioussness?

Thank you!

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:49:05 AM »
...and here is the reply... [:)]
-------------------------------

Hi YogaIsLife:

The way we can live a purer life in this world is by continuing to work on ourselves from within, which you are doing. This produces profound effects for everyone. You should follow your professional education and career with the intention of integrating your highest ideal into it over the long term. This is the best way to make a better world.

Going away to a so-called simpler life is not likely to be a better solution, because we take ourselves wherever we go. [:)]

This would be a good one to bring to the "careers" category of the AYP Forums. I hope you do, for you can get more suggestions there, and everyone will benefit.

The guru is in you.
----------------------------------

Hi All:

There have been several yoga and career inquiries coming to my email lately. Inner silence is finding more of a role in such considerations. While this may seem confusing at first, the end result will be more clarity in what we do in our career.

The professions of science need people who are integrating their rising inner silence more than the ashrams do. This is how the world will be made better, by those who are expanding their inner vision and having a greater say in how our institutions move forward.  

So, to all who have been drawn to a career, the suggestion is to go for it, while integrating your highest ideal into your ongoing endeavor as you move steadily forward. With practices in play and inner silence rising over the long term, you will find that anything is possible.

The guru is in you.

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 08:39:29 AM »
Hi All:

Here is one I wrote recently to someone in med school, having doubts about the medical profession...
--------------------------

Hi:

Thank you for your kind thoughts and sharing.

You have an interesting background, and great potential to help others for a better life. So often, the struggles of our youth are a search for our vision and our path. We can sense it, and the steps of our awakening can be messy, kind of like childbirth. [:)]

While it may not seem like it, this is a great time to be studying medicine. A shift is getting underway in the profession, though it may be barely visible at present. Yet, more is being spent every year on R&D in Complimentary and Alternative Medicine (CAM), and I think this is going to be a major spearhead in the transformation of our society to prevention-based healthcare, and ultimately a shift to a central focus on cultivating the underlying process of human spiritual transformation.

So, where you are is a good place, assuming you want to be part of this long term shift, which it appears you do. The thing to do is get on with it by connecting the dots between where you want to go personally and professionally with what has to be done right now to keep heading in that direction, i.e., pass those exams, do that residency, become fully credentialed, and move on through while favoring the kind of career in medicine you want to have, rather than the kind that past ways would compel you to have. Bringing your ultimate aims in tune with present activities will help you find the motivation to do what is necessary to move ahead. It is the effective application of bhakti!

It is important that more people in the science professions make these connections, and carry forward. People of science have a lot to say about where society is going. The present system is not impregnable. It can evolve, and it will. It must. That is the nature of science.

You are really in a much better position than I was coming through school 40 years ago. My education was in engineering and I felt many of the same frustrations and lack of motivation you have. In my case, there were no fully integrated open source spiritual teachings (it was all closed source and sectarian) and my industry was not one moving into a spiritual transition like yours is. After school, I went into a 30 year technical and business career, and worked quietly underneath all the while to develop for myself what would eventually become AYP. So here I am, reporting on what was discovered, and now your generation can take it to the next level, which is ongoing development and widespread application of this kind of knowledge. It can change the quality of life for all of humanity. We know that from our own experiences.

So, if you get the credentials and some solid experience under your belt, both spiritual and professional, then gradually blending these together can develop into a very rewarding career.

Many of the seemingly mundane traditional skills we develop in our profession can provide a foundation for future innovation. There would be no AYP if the spiritual component in me had not been combined with the technical, writing and relationship skills developed over the years in the professional environments I was in. So, what may seem boring and irrelevant now, will eventually become a part of your overall ability to undertake actions that can fulfill your dreams. Knowing this can bring great relevance into the most mundane of tasks in the present, and we can then do them with more joy and enthusiasm. Of course, rising inner silence plays a major role in this, going far beyond the intellectual part of it. Then we can just happily do what has to be done (stillness in action), and in time we see the openings that our actions have created, and then do what has to be done there. In that way we gradually become instruments of not only our own evolution, but of the evolution of everyone around us.  See how that works?

As for specifics, don't expect it all to happen right away. It will take a lifetime. As you continue to find more joy in each day, a great patience will arise also. With expanding stillness and expanding patience, no undertaking will be impossible. If it is CAM you want, then I suggest looking at the major institutions involved in it that are mentioned in the "Applied Spiritual Science" forum topic I started some months ago. If you go to the National Institutes of Health CAM website (in the topic), many other programs are listed. So there are quite a few options for a young physician wanting to gain experience in this field. I am not saying it will be easy. It will be a can of worms, because there is still a lot of confusion out there about what "health" really is and how we can improve it, and little understanding about the spiritual underpinnings of health, which also transcend the condition of the physical body. Some of the "healthiest" people I have known have been terminally ill in the physical sense. So that is the challenge you are laying out as your potential career. Actually, it is really quite exciting to be approaching it in a way that gets to the bottom of things. So I say, go for it! [:)]

Regarding your question about a role for open systems like AYP in medicine, definitely! Honestly, I do not know of any other open system that is as fully integrated as AYP. There are no closed systems that are either. But this does not mean that there are not many other knowledge sources in play. There certainly are.  In fact, currently, all the CAM research that is occurring out there is with other systems, fragments of the whole for the most part. An integrated approach like AYP is not the subject of a single study that I am aware of. We are still very much below the radar -- an R&D project in our own right. It will change eventually, but that is how it is today. AYP is still primarily a web phenomenon and an ongoing experiment. So the work continues, still largely behind the scenes of the mainstream, though interest is on the rise. Perhaps we are the 1000 gorilla of the future in open source integrated spiritual systems?

Regarding your question about teaching certifications, due to AYP being still early stage, I think certification of teachers is a bit premature. It is still primarily a web-based peer-to-peer transmission of knowledge. If and when AYP begins to enter structured teaching environments in medicine, universities, yoga studies, etc., then I think the need for certifications will become obvious, and someone will do something about it. On the other hand, with the AYP writings being what they are, I think there will always be a sort of self-certification built into it -- people are either following the teachings, or they are not. Even at this early stage, we see a lot of variations in application of the knowledge in the forums, and it is usually pretty clear who is doing something close to AYP, and who is not. Who knows, maybe someday the AYP writings can serve as part of the basis for an academic program with degrees and recognized credentials like in medicine, engineering and other fields. I'd like that, because it would be a permanent implant in our culture that would assure the knowledge for future generations.

I am in favor of the development of any programs that will advance human spiritual evolution over the long term on the basis of verifiable applied knowledge, rather than the charismatic personalities that come and go. It is time to move on to something much more solid in the field of applied spiritual knowledge.

Carry on!

The guru is in you.

YogaIsLife

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:41:48 AM »
Actually Yogani's other reply was also helpful to me. Thanks for sharing.

I find this to be true:

quote:
As you continue to find more joy in each day, a great patience will arise also.

And I have a feeling this is true as well:

quote:
Then we can just happily do what has to be done (stillness in action), and in time we see the openings that our actions have created, and then do what has to be done there. In that way we gradually become instruments of not only our own evolution, but of the evolution of everyone around us.

And this gives me motivation to move forward! With rising inner silence [:D]

I am not saying I am not afraid still...I am...but I am more confident I guess. Only time will tell [:)]

YogaIsLife

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:00:17 AM »
Actually, about the issue of teacher certification I wanted to ask something as well to yogani. I have thought of teaching the ayp system to other people, on an informal basis. The meditation I am doing is being helpful to me and I thought of sharing it to close friends or relatives that might need something like this. I also thought of giving small workshops maybe to teach this kind of meditation to others, always giving this people the links to the original website for further consultation. This won' be something I will be doing systematically but only when a certain occasion may call for it. Do you agree with this spread of information? I think so, but just checking [:)]

I find one problem though, when explaining the meditation to other people, people I know. I cannot really explain them why we say 'AYAM'. First off english is not my language so they think is weird in the first place to say that instead of anything else, and also in general people are not familiar with meditation or any of this 'esoteric stuuf', and although they are willing to try something that will enhance their lifes, they don't understand what they are doing. So I don't want to scare them off by giving a too esoterical explanation (involving subtle bodies and so on) but I would like to tell them something simple that they can understand and apply. Any thoughts?

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:59:46 AM »
It would be best to have them read the "main lessons" link at the top. The lessons bring them to the meditation without being esoteric at all. I'm not sure where it is, but the AYAM sound is explained in the lessons, and there has been a lot of discussion of it here in these forums. It is not a word with a meaning, but rather a powerful vibration that somehow includes both the male and female energy aspects that each person has within them.

As your friends read the main lessons perhaps you can search the forums for discussion on details like the mantra. If you click on "Yoga FAQ" at the top, words such as "mantra" will have links to where they are discussed.

You say your friends may not understand what they are doing with the mantra. It is a method of quieting your mind so that you can find your true self and bring an incredible peace into your life. It will also greatly enhance your religious or spiritual life if you desire.

Suryakant

• http://www.myspace.com/jdsmall
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:25:30 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi All:

Here is one I wrote recently to someone in med school, having doubts about the medical profession...
--------------------------

Hi:

Thank you for your kind thoughts and sharing.

You have an interesting background, and great potential to help others for a better life. So often, the struggles of our youth are a search for our vision and our path. We can sense it, and the steps of our awakening can be messy, kind of like childbirth. [:)]

While it may not seem like it, this is a great time to be studying medicine. A shift is getting underway in the profession, though it may be barely visible at present. Yet, more is being spent every year on R&D in Complimentary and Alternative Medicine (CAM), and I think this is going to be a major spearhead in the transformation of our society to prevention-based healthcare, and ultimately a shift to a central focus on cultivating the underlying process of human spiritual transformation.

So, where you are is a good place, assuming you want to be part of this long term shift, which it appears you do. The thing to do is get on with it by connecting the dots between where you want to go personally and professionally with what has to be done right now to keep heading in that direction, i.e., pass those exams, do that residency, become fully credentialed, and move on through while favoring the kind of career in medicine you want to have, rather than the kind that past ways would compel you to have. Bringing your ultimate aims in tune with present activities will help you find the motivation to do what is necessary to move ahead. It is the effective application of bhakti!

It is important that more people in the science professions make these connections, and carry forward. People of science have a lot to say about where society is going. The present system is not impregnable. It can evolve, and it will. It must. That is the nature of science.

You are really in a much better position than I was coming through school 40 years ago. My education was in engineering and I felt many of the same frustrations and lack of motivation you have. In my case, there were no fully integrated open source spiritual teachings (it was all closed source and sectarian) and my industry was not one moving into a spiritual transition like yours is. After school, I went into a 30 year technical and business career, and worked quietly underneath all the while to develop for myself what would eventually become AYP. So here I am, reporting on what was discovered, and now your generation can take it to the next level, which is ongoing development and widespread application of this kind of knowledge. It can change the quality of life for all of humanity. We know that from our own experiences.

So, if you get the credentials and some solid experience under your belt, both spiritual and professional, then gradually blending these together can develop into a very rewarding career.

Many of the seemingly mundane traditional skills we develop in our profession can provide a foundation for future innovation. There would be no AYP if the spiritual component in me had not been combined with the technical, writing and relationship skills developed over the years in the professional environments I was in. So, what may seem boring and irrelevant now, will eventually become a part of your overall ability to undertake actions that can fulfill your dreams. Knowing this can bring great relevance into the most mundane of tasks in the present, and we can then do them with more joy and enthusiasm. Of course, rising inner silence plays a major role in this, going far beyond the intellectual part of it. Then we can just happily do what has to be done (stillness in action), and in time we see the openings that our actions have created, and then do what has to be done there. In that way we gradually become instruments of not only our own evolution, but of the evolution of everyone around us.  See how that works?

As for specifics, don't expect it all to happen right away. It will take a lifetime. As you continue to find more joy in each day, a great patience will arise also. With expanding stillness and expanding patience, no undertaking will be impossible. If it is CAM you want, then I suggest looking at the major institutions involved in it that are mentioned in the "Applied Spiritual Science" forum topic I started some months ago. If you go to the National Institutes of Health CAM website (in the topic), many other programs are listed. So there are quite a few options for a young physician wanting to gain experience in this field. I am not saying it will be easy. It will be a can of worms, because there is still a lot of confusion out there about what "health" really is and how we can improve it, and little understanding about the spiritual underpinnings of health, which also transcend the condition of the physical body. Some of the "healthiest" people I have known have been terminally ill in the physical sense. So that is the challenge you are laying out as your potential career. Actually, it is really quite exciting to be approaching it in a way that gets to the bottom of things. So I say, go for it! [:)]

Regarding your question about a role for open systems like AYP in medicine, definitely! Honestly, I do not know of any other open system that is as fully integrated as AYP. There are no closed systems that are either. But this does not mean that there are not many other knowledge sources in play. There certainly are.  In fact, currently, all the CAM research that is occurring out there is with other systems, fragments of the whole for the most part. An integrated approach like AYP is not the subject of a single study that I am aware of. We are still very much below the radar -- an R&D project in our own right. It will change eventually, but that is how it is today. AYP is still primarily a web phenomenon and an ongoing experiment. So the work continues, still largely behind the scenes of the mainstream, though interest is on the rise. Perhaps we are the 1000 gorilla of the future in open source integrated spiritual systems?

Regarding your question about teaching certifications, due to AYP being still early stage, I think certification of teachers is a bit premature. It is still primarily a web-based peer-to-peer transmission of knowledge. If and when AYP begins to enter structured teaching environments in medicine, universities, yoga studies, etc., then I think the need for certifications will become obvious, and someone will do something about it. On the other hand, with the AYP writings being what they are, I think there will always be a sort of self-certification built into it -- people are either following the teachings, or they are not. Even at this early stage, we see a lot of variations in application of the knowledge in the forums, and it is usually pretty clear who is doing something close to AYP, and who is not. Who knows, maybe someday the AYP writings can serve as part of the basis for an academic program with degrees and recognized credentials like in medicine, engineering and other fields. I'd like that, because it would be a permanent implant in our culture that would assure the knowledge for future generations.

I am in favor of the development of any programs that will advance human spiritual evolution over the long term on the basis of verifiable applied knowledge, rather than the charismatic personalities that come and go. It is time to move on to something much more solid in the field of applied spiritual knowledge.

Carry on!

The guru is in you.

MAGNIFICENT post, yogani - brilliant and constructively forward-looking - thank you. [:)]

Although I'm a former M.I.T. science student (I dropped-out of M.I.T. in the late 70s) & have worked in the software engineering field for many years, my mind waxes poetic when I consider challenges such as the one being experienced by YogaIsLife.

YogaIsLife, I can relate to your "Present Crisis" (to borrow some words from Gopi Krishna - see http://www.gopikrishna.net/presentc.html ) on a number of levels from my own personal experience. Originally believing my destiny was to become a meteorologist, I switched to professional acting, then to clinical psychology, and finally found myself paying the bills by writing computer code. All the while, I was going through a clear process of spiritual development, not unlike what yogani described in this thread.

Here I am today, 50 years old, married, an astrologer/Reiki master/actor/software engineer, working for one of the 2 biggest computer companies on the planet, and I'm beginning to see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel (no, NOT an oncoming train! [:)] ).

Waxing poetic ... here's what came to me as I read your post, YogaIsLife. There's an old and largely discredited theory in biology that "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny" -- that the development of the human embryo mirrors, in its sequential morphological developmental transformations, the forms assumed by biological entities which existed earlier on the evolutionary path that led to the modern human form.

Although largely discredited by modern genetic science, the idea that ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny still holds sway on some in the medical/biological community, if for no other reason than its intuitively aesthetic appeal.

I propose that the old idea that ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny in the physical biological sciences was actually a vague intuitive sensing of a deeper spiritual phenomenon: that the patterns of our lives recapitulate our prior physical experiences prior to the present physical embodiment. Recapitulate, that is, up to a point -- a point at which we encounter greater and greater opportunities to live our lives like the terminal bud on the tip of a cosmic flower, moving out into new experiences less and less encumbered by the inertia of past causes.

Your trajectory towards a PhD in environmental science sounds like you are presently riding the very crest of your wave of spiritual recapitulation. And if that is indeed the case, that means that you are on the threshold of greater freedom of choice than you have ever known - you are entering a phase of life in which your opportunities to live more and more from a position of inner silence in each present moment have never been greater.

quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

So, how do we find balance in an unbalanced world? And furthermore, perhaps more importantly, how do we give ourselves the nurturing conditions for a steady, smooth and healthy flowering of our conscioussness?

We find balance in an unbalanced world by being the fulcrum of the senses - neither tipping this way nor that way - staying steady and silent in the center of the see-saw as we see all the world and let go of all we saw.

We give ourselves the nurturing conditions for a steady, smooth and healthy flowering of our consciousness by practicing ongoing present-moment-by-present-moment remembrance of whatever our personal highest spiritual ideal is.

Namaste,
Suryakant

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:49:53 PM by Suryakant »

YogaIsLife

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »
Suryakant, thank you so much for your reply! It made me smile as I was reading it. The part where you describe your diverse occupations and education made me smile, I am like that as well, I am not one thing (or label) but like to do many many things. Life is not one occupation ('I' am not 'a biologist'), but an opportunity to express who we really are, I think. Me, I like to make music as well, for example [:)]

I know very well the biological theory of ontogeny recapitulating phylogeny and thank you for reminding me! It is a fascinating theory and it does seem true if one looks at the development of the embryo and how it resembles other ('lower') animals stages of development (reptiles, fish, mamals, etc.). I think there are some spiritual truths is that as well, no doubt.

I don't know if I am in the 'crest of the wave', well I hope so. It sure feels like some confusion is going on but I do feel the worst has passed. It is not a present moment thing, it's been years of struggle and well, I guess this life is struggle anyway [:)] But like I said deep meditation is helping me termendously in 'dissolving the clouds'.

I don't know if the phd will open doors and to be frank i don't care anymore. I've been learning to live each present moment and I do think that is the key to true happiness. I do feel I have a lot inside that I want to express (is this each one's the highest ideal? it must be...it's a kind of joy, of glory, of beauty i feel sometimes), and my anxiety comes from the sense that I might not be able to truly express this, to bring it to life, to let it flower. I've been learning that this happens by living each moment as it is and, as I have been learning in AYP, by working over the long term (trusting the unfoldment of cause and effect), applying our highest ideal in everything we do, rather than expecting sudden changes or illuminations. It is a path, better enjoy what we have, no? [:)]

Waxing poetic...I am not sure exactly what it means but it sounds good! Thank you.

Thank as well Etherfish for your suggestions. Unfortunately it is not so simple. I am talking of people that had no contact whatsoever with mystical or spiritual language. For example, talking of feminine and masculine energies might mean nothing to them and might confuse them. Can I point to something and say 'that is feminine energy'? Just the concept of 'energy' might be difficult to accept. I guess it is a two-faced coin. It needs an open mind from the part of the receiving person. That open mind only comes if that person has had a glimpse of that spiritual realm, no? So sometimes you know 'meditation' is good and might help someone (for example someone that would like to be more calm and centered) but how can you explain to them that thinking a sound is balancing? For example, they do understand that focusing on the breath may be calming to the body and mind but why does a particular sound in the head works? (recently I ordered the book 'Mantra and Meditation' from Usharbudh Arya and am eagerly waiting to read it as it seems to explain rationally why mantras work). Well, maybe it's me that it's making a big thing out of it! I just feel though that a god first approach might be important and that each person will react differently to different approaches.

One last question [:)] One thing that puzzled me in Yogani's post. You said : 'Some of the "healthiest" people I have known have been terminally ill in the physical sense.' I had the idea that spiritual development = good health but that seems not to be the case all the time. Why is that? Do you mean that sometimes it takes an illness to make us spiritual healthy (illness as cause)?

Thank you and sorry for all the questions!!

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 11:28:23 PM »
quote:

Actually, about the issue of teacher certification I wanted to ask something as well to yogani. I have thought of teaching the ayp system to other people, on an informal basis. The meditation I am doing is being helpful to me and I thought of sharing it to close friends or relatives that might need something like this. I also thought of giving small workshops maybe to teach this kind of meditation to others, always giving this people the links to the original website for further consultation. This won' be something I will be doing systematically but only when a certain occasion may call for it. Do you agree with this spread of information? I think so, but just checking [:)]

I find one problem though, when explaining the meditation to other people, people I know. I cannot really explain them why we say 'AYAM'. First off english is not my language so they think is weird in the first place to say that instead of anything else, and also in general people are not familiar with meditation or any of this 'esoteric stuuf', and although they are willing to try something that will enhance their lifes, they don't understand what they are doing. So I don't want to scare them off by giving a too esoterical explanation (involving subtle bodies and so on) but I would like to tell them something simple that they can understand and apply. Any thoughts?

Hi YogaIsLife:

Starting a meditation group would be great. There are several who have done that, and it can be very fulfilling.

Ether has given you good guidance on the mantra. It is not necessary for you to go into depth to explain everything. Just refer them to the lessons and books. Also, look under "mantra" in the topic index for lessons on mantra, language and meaning.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

yogani

• AYP Plus
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 12:10:35 AM »
quote:

One last question [:)] One thing that puzzled me in Yogani's post. You said : 'Some of the "healthiest" people I have known have been terminally ill in the physical sense.' I had the idea that spiritual development = good health but that seems not to be the case all the time. Why is that? Do you mean that sometimes it takes an illness to make us spiritual healthy (illness as cause)?

Ah, this one has come up before. [:)]

Developing spiritually is developing health beyond the body. And the concern is, are we leaving the body? Leaving all of this behind? Well, eventually we have to, right? Or we may be limited physically due to circumstances beyond our control. But even as we are becoming inner silence (the witness) apart from our identification of ourselves with the physical, the paradox of "becoming" (without suffering) all that we are witnessing arises also. I wrote about the practical aspects of this recently over here, in discussing the presence of the witness during a physical crisis: http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=4307#36506  

And yes, spiritual development brings better physical health, mainly because our inner purification and opening (if conducted in a balanced way with self-pacing) counteracts the influences of stress, strengthens immunity and the body's regenerative processes, etc. These things are fairly well known, and it is where the CAM research dollars have been going. But the body is not forever, and the obsessive quest for physical immortality is illusional thinking, even if we may end up having it someday!

The point is that our freedom and happiness are not bound up in the body, even a healthy one. They are bound up in our state of consciousness. For those who are on the path, the physical challenges we face, including our mortality, can be used to advance our spiritual progress. That is what I meant by some of the "healthiest" people I have known being terminally ill in the physical sense. It is not the case for everyone, but there is a peace and luminous expansion that can rise in some who have a terminal illness. It raises the question, what is health anyway? Is death a failure?...as is the current belief in the medical profession. What does it mean to save someone's life? These are hard questions that the medical profession is beginning to ask itself, and that is good, because the most important part of our "health" has to do with much more than the condition of our body. This does not mean we disregard physical health. It means we look beyond physical health to a much broader landscape that includes physical health, even while transcending it.

Being a responsible science in search of the truth, the medical profession must consider these things. Ultimately, that will be good news for humanity  for both physical and spiritual health. [8D]    

The guru is in you.

YogaIsLife

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 12:23:58 AM »
Great reply Yogani, thank you!