Author Topic: Swami J Meditation Retreat  (Read 1035 times)

trip1

• http://seekanddestroypodcast.com/
Swami J Meditation Retreat
« on: October 21, 2005, 10:31:19 AM »
I received this in my email box yesterday and thought I'd share in case anyone was interested.  It looks to be a wonderful retreat.  

Meditation Retreat in Costa Rica - Feb 2006:

We will be having a Meditation Retreat this February at the Alternativa
Lodge, near Golfito, Costa Rica. It is a new holistic focused retreat
center on 75 acres of land. This is a most beautiful rainforest area on
a gulf, which is on the Pacific Ocean. This is a remote area that is
highly conducive to quiet meditation and contemplation. The meditation
retreat is most fitting for those who already have a regular daily
meditation practice and who wish to deepen that practice.

For complete information:
http://www.swamij.com/Calendar/costa-rica-2006.htm

Please let me know if you have other questions that are not answered on
the webpage descriptions.

In loving service,

Swami J

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 03:05:03 AM »
I mistrust the word "conducive". It's the sort of dualist distinction we're all practicing to transcend.

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 02:53:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Melissa

I have never met Swami J in person, but I have briefly conversed with him via email I must say that I really do enjoy several of the articles on his website.  The word conducive would not bother me in the least, particularly after having more background on his writings, beliefs, etc.  Just my two cents.  [:)]

See my posting of oct 25 in this thread:
http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=546

satyan

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 10:57:31 PM »
whether it is conducive or not conducive is the way we perceive.  Yoga does not need that, but for beginners it may be helpful.

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 04:06:16 PM »
I respectfully disagree, satyan. The desire to make things just right is precisely what we're trying to drop with all this. Looping that delusion into our practice sets up a calamitous regression, in my opinion. It's like inviting the devil to mass.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 04:10:13 PM by Jim and His Karma »

david_obsidian

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 10:24:31 PM »
Jim,

I kinda agree with Satyan,  although I do know what you are saying.  But I think it is perfectly appropriate to tout a place as being conducive to contemplation.

There is a paradox:
On the one hand,  we set to do the things which are conducive to our path.  On the other,  we abandon search.

See the 'Practice,  don't practice paradox'.
http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=314

Beginners do need a 'carrot' of some kind.  Hell,  we all do in some way or other.  We also need to know when the carrot is getting in the way and when to throw away the carrot (to the extent we can).

>> It's like inviting the devil to mass.

Invite the devil to mass!  He'll draw great crowds!  Then ritually murder him when the mass is under way!  [:)]

-D

« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 10:30:03 PM by david_obsidian »

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 12:39:23 PM »
Ritually murder the devil at mass? OMG what karma that would create! Or not.
I didn't think he had a body.
i understand that a conducive environment is not necessary for meditation
other than beginners wanting it quiet (me too).
But meditation aside, Costa Rica is incredible. Forget the retreat and just go there. 1/4 of it nature preserve. When you go out of the city, the poor people are happy. They sit on their porches at night and talk. there are fireflies by the thousands, Arenal volcano heats hot spring swimming pools.
you can hear it rumble from the pools. There's graffitti on walls in San Jose that are love poems. You get this feeling in your heart that the energy is different there. They have rice and beans and eggs for breakfast.

My favorite place is "Finca biologica" (ecology farm). It's not a tourist trap yet. Family run, you walk down trails in the forest of old growth trees. Some of them 30 feet in diameter, and you can't see the tree tops. you come to a cliff overlooking banana plantations; everything in sight is green with the sun playing on it. You can hear the breeze far away.
You get scared on the trail because a herd of fifteen peccaries runs
past you, looking like brown baby pigs. There are small groups of coatamundies, sort of long tail raccoons that are always playing, chasing each other and wrestling, rolling around, up and down trees, squealing.

All the food there tastes better than here (USA) because we breed vegetables and fruits to look good on the shelf and transport well on a truck. They breed them to taste good. They grow their heirloom varieties and bring them short distances to little farmers markets in a pickup. Even potatoes taste better.
You can go to "Jungle lodge" by taking a four hour boat ride down a river. It's isolated and beautiful, and on the mouth of a river on the carribean near protected species turtle breeding grounds.

Etherfish

Jim and His Karma

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 07:03:00 PM »
Damn that sounds GREAT (even conducive!). Maybe I'll do that vacation down there.........