Author Topic: Formatting of lessons pages  (Read 3066 times)

jupiter

Formatting of lessons pages
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 06:47:08 AM »

Great to see the progress in improving the web site.

The ready access to key lessons from the left is nice. Provides better visibility to some key content. (Will also help with SEO).

I see the extraneous line breaks are gone. Excellent. Thanks for putting in the effort to clean this up.

It seems like something else is now stopping the text from flowing. I suspect there is a hardcoded table cell width. If this is indeed the case, all we need to do is remove it and it will automatically fill any extra space available. Simple fix with no major CSS edit needed.

I'll spend some more time confirming this... I think a minor tweak is all we need to fix the extra space issue.

Re social networking, I'll take another look to refresh the list we had. Two additions I can think of right away are to add AYP to the DMOZ directory and the Yahoo site directory. Also I have been working on a slide presentation that I'll present here for review and feedback.

yogani

• AYP Plus
Formatting of lessons pages
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 07:25:28 AM »
Hi Jupiter:

Thanks much. Looking forward to your feedback.

Unfortunately, every page on the site has its own individual text table setting, and site-wide external format edits are overwritten by the old version of Frontpage I am using. I would not mind editing the 400 pages (again) to fix the width issue, but so far the only solutions that have come to fore are adjusting the tables (and/or right border) to a fixed width, or using a % of screen width setting for the tables. There are pros and cons in these approaches, so nothing has been decided yet.

I had not considered removing the tables and copying the text between the borders with no table. The books page is done that way, though it is hard to tell, because it has a lot of formating of links that keeps it narrow also.

Another thing to consider is that any site-wide modifications will generate a certain number of "gremlims" that have to be fixed, not always easy. It takes as much time to get the gremlins out as to do the site modifications. That is what it takes to edit a 400 page website that has been through several incarnations to reach the present. Needless to say, going through such a journey is only worth it if there is a significant payoff in the end result.    

In any case, expanding the sharing network to the masses is the priority now. The page width thing can be addressed when a solution become clear. It is much better than it was with the unwanted line returns gone and the left side border added -- not bad at all on 1024 pixel screen width, which is what many people are using nowadays. It is on screens wider than 1024 where the gap in the middle opens up.

I remain open to all suggestions to improve the website, and especially its ability to reach the many who are feeling the inner divine stirring these days. There has been a noticeable increase in traffic since the website upgrade was done last weekend. Something good is happening. [8D]  

The guru is in you.