Author Topic: Adi Shankara's Nirvanashatkam & Gita contradiction  (Read 4268 times)

rkishan

Adi Shankara's Nirvanashatkam & Gita contradiction
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:35:58 AM »
quote:

Nirvanashatkam [Six Stanzas on Nirvana]
By Adi Sankara

Translated by Swami Vivekananda

Mano Budhya Ahankara Chithaa Ninaham,
Na Cha Srothra Jihwe Na Cha Graana Nethrer,
Na Cha Vyoma Bhoomir Na Thejo Na Vayu,
Chidananada Roopa Shivoham, Shivoham 1

I am neither the mind, nor the intellect, nor the ego, nor the mind-stuff;
I am neither the body, nor the changes of the body;
I am neither the senses of hearing, taste, smell, or sight,
Nor am I the ether, the earth, the fire, the air;
I am Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute, Bliss Absolute -
I am He, I am He. (Shivoham, Shivoham).

Na Cha Praana Samgno Na Vai Pancha Vaayur,
Na Vaa-Saptha Dhathur Na Va Pancha Kosa-ha,
Na Vak-Pani Padam Na Chopa-Stha Payu,
Chidananada Roopa Shivoham, Shivoham 2

I am neither the Prana, nor the five vital airs;
I am neither the materials of the body, nor the five sheaths;
Neither am I the organs of action, nor object of the senses;

Na Me Dwesha Ragov Na Me Lobha Mohou,
Madho Naiva Me Naiva Matsarya Bhava,
Na Dharmo Na Cha-artha Na Kamo Na Moksha,
Chidananada Roopa Shivoham, Shivoham 3

I have neither aversion nor attachment, neither greed nor delusion;
Neither egotism nor envy, neither Dharma nor Moksha;
I am neither desire nor objects of desire;

Na Punyam Na Paapam Na Soukhyam Na Dukham,
Na Manthro Na Theertham Na Veda-Na Yagna,
Aham Bhojanam Naiva Bhojyam Na Bhoktha,
Chidananada Roopa Shivoham, Shivoham 4

I am neither sin nor virtue, neither pleasure nor pain;
Nor temple nor worship, nor pilgrimage nor scriptures,
Neither the act of enjoying, the enjoyable nor the enjoyer;

Na Mruthyur Na Sankha Na Me Jathi Bhed-ha,
Pitha Naiva Me-Naiva Matha-Na Janma,
Na Bhandhur Na Mithram Gurur-Naiva Sishya,
Chidananada Roopa Shivoham, Shivoham 5

I have neither death nor fear of death, nor caste;
Nor was I ever born, nor had I parents, friends, and relations;
I have neither Guru, nor disciple;

Aham Nirvi Kalpo Nirakara Roopo,
Vibhuth-wascha Sarva-thra Sarvendri-yanaam,
Na Cha Sangatham Naiva Mukthir Na Meya
Chidananada Roopa Shivoham, Shivoham 6

I am untouched by the senses, I am neither Mukti nor knowable;
I am without form, without limit, beyond space, beyond time;
I am in everything; I am the basis of the universe; everywhere am I.

When I first read Nirvanashatakam it blew my mind.  Especially when I read the powerful sanskrit words in their rhythm.  It still blows my mind when I read it.

But quite interestingly what Adi Shankara denies vehemently as not his nature in stanza 1 of Nirvanashatakam was accepted as his nature by Krishna on Gita, chapter 7.

Let's look at Krishna's words.

quote:

Gita 7-4
bhumir apo ‘nalo vayuh, kham mano buddhir eva ca,
ahankara itiyam me, bhinna prakrtir astadha

"Earth, water, fire, air, ether, mind, intelligence and false ego—all together these eight constitute My separated material energies."

Krishna accepts that earth, water, fire, ether, wind, mind, intellect and ego are also part of his nature.  He calls them his material energies.  He claims to be many other things also that Shankara  rejected as not himself.  Krishna later amends these statements by saying these are his lower nature and goes on to talk about his higher nature.  His higher nature sounds similar to Advaitic oneness.  Nevertheless Krishna accepted these 5 elements, mind, intellect and ego as also part of his nature, while Shankara out-rightly rejected them as not himself.  There is no room for any compromise when Shankara pours out the powerful words while established in the highest advaitic state of oneness.

I tend to favor the Krishna's flavor of higher and lower nature.  Krishna makes some concessions (for a reason??). I feel that th concessions make very good sense for those who are not yet fully reveling in the state of Satchitananda.  While I appreciate the Nirvanashatakam, I feel that Krishna's statement gives a more balanced perspective since we perceive this world as solid and real through our sense organs. (vision, hearing, smell, taste, and touch).

I would love to hear others perspective on this contradiction.

Regards,
Ram.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:01:31 PM by rkishan »

Jo-self

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »
Is Krishna in the BG, when he speaks those words about his lower nature, operating from Oneness, or as a God?  Its all so mysterious, depending on who you talk to, Krishna is either a manifested God, or others would say he was even higher then Brahma (at least thats what someone in the Krishna Consciousness movement told me).

Then again, Krishna could have just been expressing the Samkhya philosophy that sees a duality of Parusha and Prakriti, and since he is personified creation, he expresses both.

Ah, Religion, what a tangled web.  I hope science makes some progress, but even today many things are still vague, like Time.

manigma

• http://www.facebook.com/manigma
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by rkishan

There is no contradiction.

Sankra is saying it while being still.

Krishna is saying it while dancing.

[:D]

Shanti

• http://livingunbound.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 12:15:06 AM »
Manigma has put it nicely. [:)]

I am not an expert in scriptures, however, I will try to explain this from what I have experienced and from what I have read.

The first is a path of a jnanayogi (Shivoham), the second is a path of a bhaktiyogi (Dasoham).

Depending on what one is drawn to, one follows either one of those paths.  Both will lead to the same truth.

The two approached... "I am Shiva (god/creator)" - Shivoham and "I am servant (God is the ultimate)" - Dasoham are just two sides of the same coin.

In Shivoham... I am Shiva... I am God... nothing is outside of me... it is all me (Shiva). Hence I am not the ether, the earth, the fire, the air; I am Shiva.
Dasoham, where I am the servant and God is my master and everything is God.  "Earth, water, fire, air, ether, mind, intelligence and false ego—all together these eight constitute My separated material energies" (speaking from Krishna's POV... so all of that is him.. God... Arjuna is the Dasi and Krishna is the God. Krishna is asking Arjuna to surrender to him and in the Geeta, Krishna shows Arjuna how a devotee (dasi) can go from being dasoham to soham by following his teachings)..

When we finally come to experience awareness.. there is no "I" and "God"...

The person who believes the first is a (atman) jnanayogi and the other is a bhakti yogi. The key is to surrender to something. A bhakti yogi surrenders to his/her ishta and believe nothing is possible by us.. everything is in our Ishta's hands.. (dasoham).. such a Yogi will finally realize s/he is looking for god with his eyes... there is no ishta outside of him/her (soham). One who believes s/he is god (Shivoham) will see the universe emanates from and dissolves into them... there is no outside and inside of them.

Both will see the same thing but the way they reach this point is by surrendering inward or outward.

rkishan

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 04:22:57 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

quote:

Very nice! Indeed the dance, Leela.  But there is still a subtle contradiction.  In one, there is acceptance of duality and in the other there is no room for that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 05:18:24 AM by rkishan »

rkishan

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 04:34:02 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

The two approached... "I am Shiva (god/creator)" - Shivoham and "I am servant (God is the ultimate)" - Dasoham are just two sides of the same coin.

In Shivoham... I am Shiva... I am God... nothing is outside of me... it is all me (Shiva). Hence I am not the ether, the earth, the fire, the air; I am Shiva.
Dasoham, where I am the servant and God is my master and everything is God.  "Earth, water, fire, air, ether, mind, intelligence and false ego—all together these eight constitute My separated material energies" (speaking from Krishna's POV... so all of that is him.. God.

Dear Shanti,

While I appreciate your input and the differentiation between Sivoham and Dasoham, I don't think Krishna spoke anywhere in the Gita from the stand point of "I am servant (God is the ultimate) - Dasoham".  In all of Gita, Krishna talked from the supreme state as the creator of the universe.  Shankara denied the existence of the world itself by claiming he is not all of those things.  But Krisha acknowledged the existence of the world/elements as also part of his lower nature.

Regards,
Ram.

manigma

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:17:40 AM »
quote:

quote:

quote:

Very nice! Indeed the dance, Leela.  But there is still a subtle contradiction.  In one, there is acceptance of duality and in the other there is no room for that.

So what do you prefer?  To remain still or to dance?

CarsonZi

• http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CarsonZi
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 12:37:42 AM »
quote:

I know this was directed to Ram but I felt compelled to share the perspective from here.....

Being still and dancing are different sides of the same coin.... Being still leads to dancing....dancing leads to stillness.  They are inseperable.

Love!
[^]

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 01:57:32 AM »
Hi Rkishan and all,

quote:
Nevertheless Krisha accepted these 5 elements, mind, intellect and ego as also part of his nature, while Shankara out-rightly rejected them as not himself.

You are right, it is a contradiction. Simply put, Sri Adi Shankara was still existing in dualism (dvaita). He was identified with one aspect of existence, the unmanifest (also sometimes referred to as primordial awareness or Purusha), which he referred to as "I... ", and he rejected the other aspect of existence, the created, the manifest (Prakriti). So he was still clearly living in duality (dvaita).

Krishna had gone one step further on, and knew himself to be both the unmanifest and the manifest, the uncreated and the created, both Purusha and Prakriti. Krishna had gone beyond the state of dvaita into the state of advaita, or unity.

Christi
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:09:51 AM by Christi »

rkishan

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Rkishan and all,

quote:
Nevertheless Krisha accepted these 5 elements, mind, intellect and ego as also part of his nature, while Shankara out-rightly rejected them as not himself.

You are right, it is a contradiction. Simply put, Sri Adi Shankara was still existing in dualism (dvaita). He was identified with one aspect of existence, the unmanifest (also sometimes referred to as primordial awareness or Purusha), which he referred to as "I... ", and he rejected the other aspect of existence, the created, the manifest (Prakriti). So he was still clearly living in duality (dvaita).

Krishna had gone one step further on, and knew himself to be both the unmanifest and the manifest, the uncreated and the created, both Purusha and Prakriti. Krishna had gone beyond the state of dvaita into the state of advaita, or unity.

Christi

Christi,

I am confused by your post and was wondering if you got it backwards.  I thought Shankara was talking from the stand point of Advaita.  In Advaita as in the Vedanta of the Upanishads, the existence of this manifested world (Prakriti) itself is denied.  The manifested world (Prakriti) that we perceive as real, is many times compared to the dreams that appear and disappear in the state of sleep.  The Prakriti or manifested world is completely denied as non-existent in advaita and vedanta, if I understand it right.  It is said that the manifested world is projected by our senses, similar to how our mind  can project the dream worlds while we sleep.  We easily understand that the dream world did not exist -- after we wake up -- and was just a projection of our mind.  But to understand that the manifested world (Prakriti) is also a dream experienced or projected through the senses and to wake up from that dream is explained as enlightenment in the upanishads.  So, Shankara claims he is none of the aspects of the Prakriti or the manifested world (since Prakriti or the manifested world that we see as real did/does not exist in the first place!) So, there remains only ONE who is the Purusha.  Therefore it is called advaita, since it accepts the reality of the only one truth, the Brahman.

But Krishna was acknowledging the Prakriti (the manifested world), claiming that it was part was his lower nature, and the Purusha to be his higher nature.  Krishna came down from the stand point of the highest Upanishads and Vedanta, where the manifested world is out-rightly rejected as non-existent, and claimed as just a projection of the senses.  He accepts the validity of the manifested world (Prakriti), but claims it is of his lower nature (The moment he brought lower and higher, we are not in the realm of advaita).  So, he is talking from the stand point of dvaita, right?  He accepts both Purusha and Prakriti.  So, there is more than ONE, hence dvaita or duality or the plurality of the manifested world.

PS: In another part of Gita, Krishna himself makes statements that is contradictory to his own acceptance of the reality of Prakriti.

Regards,
Ram
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:48:08 PM by rkishan »

rkishan

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would like to be still.  But, I feel that one has to go through the cosmic dance to get to the stillness.

Regards,
Ram.

manigma

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
quote:
I would like to be still.  But, I feel that one has to go through the cosmic dance to get to the stillness.

The moon dancing on the water is seen in the water, but it is caused by the moon in the sky and not by the water.
- Nisargadatta

Be still, dance!

Christi

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 12:19:23 AM »
quote:

Christi,

I am confused by your post and was wondering if you got it backwards. I thought Shankara was talking from the stand point of Advaita. In Advaita as in the Vedanta of the Upanishads, the existence of this manifested world (Prakriti) itself is denied. The manifested world (Prakriti) that we perceive as real, is many times compared to the dreams that appear and disappear in the state of sleep. The Prakriti or manifested world is completely denied as non-existent in advaita and vedanta, if I understand it right. It is said that the manifested world is projected by our senses, similar to how our mind can project the dream worlds while we sleep. We easily understand that the dream world did not exist -- after we wake up -- and was just a projection of our mind. But to understand that the manifested world (Prakriti) is also a dream experienced or projected through the senses and to wake up from that dream is explained as enlightenment in the upanishads. So, Shankara claims he is none of the aspects of the Prakriti or the manifested world (since Prakriti or the manifested world that we see as real did/does not exist in the first place!) So, there remains only ONE who is the Purusha. Therefore it is called advaita, since it accepts the reality of the only one truth, the Brahman.

But Krishna was acknowledging the Prakriti (the manifested world), claiming that it was part was his lower nature, and the Purusha to be his higher nature. Krishna came down from the stand point of the highest Upanishads and Vedanta, where the manifested world is out-rightly rejected as non-existent, and claimed as just a projection of the senses. He accepts the validity of the manifested world (Prakriti), but claims it is of his lower nature (The moment he brought lower and higher, we are not in the realm of advaita). So, he is talking from the stand point of dvaita, right? He accepts both Purusha and Prakriti. So, there is more than ONE, hence dvaita or duality or the plurality of the manifested world.

Regards,
Ram

Hi Ram,

Yes, it sounded like it was the wrong way round didn’t it. I’ll try and explain more clearly. [:)]

As you know, Adi Shankara taugh what is called Advaita Vedanta. For Adi Shankara, the world was an illusion (as you say), but not non-existent, just illusory. For him the only true reality was Brahman, and the atman (soul of the individual) is, in it's highest reality (it's enlightened state), one with Brahman. For Adi Shankara, as the creation is illusory, Brahman, being absolutely real, is attributeless. In other words, for him, Brahman alone is truly existent, the world is illusory (but existent on some level), and the realized soul is merged with Brahman. This is what he called advaita, the unification of the atman with the attributeless Brahman, with all that is ultimately real. That is why he made the satement that you quoted at the top of the page: "I am neither the mind, nor the intellect etc..."

But what is usually referred to as advaita is not really advaita, because actually there is still separation. "I am this, I am not that...", "I am pure being, I am not this body...etc.". It is still in the realm of dvaita, two things, one thing identified with, the other denied.

The next level (higher level) of realization takes us to the place where everything is included and known to be a part of the Self. Creation is seen to be flowing continuously from the unborn, and is not separate from it in any way. In truth, Prakriti and Purusha are one. So the dualities are accepted, and united. This is the true meaning of advaita, non-duality, unity, oneness.

Adi Shankara represents the first stage of the journey, the going out with the denial of the world as illusion (neti, neti). Sri Krishna, represents the second stage, the coming back with the acceptance of all things as the Self. The first is a journey of bliss, the second is a journey of love. The state that Sri Krishna taught from is sometimes referred to as the realization of Brahman with attributes. In other words the soul (atman) is merged with Brahman who is all (both form and formless).

This knowing, that Brahman is not only the principle and creator of all there is, but is also the sum totality of the universe and its phenomena, is the highest teaching of the Upanishads, and it is this that Krishna taught.

You can see the way in which apparent duality is merged into non-duality in this verse of the Mudaka Upanishad:

“Om- That supreme Brahman is infinite, and this conditioned Brahman is infinite. The infinite proceeds from infinite. Then through knowledge, realizing the infinitude of the infinite, it remains as infinite alone.”

"That supreme Brahman" is the attributeless transcendental Brahman (Purusha), "this conditioned Brahman" is the phenomenal universe (Prakriti).

quote:
PS: In another part of Gita, Krishna himself makes statements that is contradictory to his own acceptance of the reality of Prakriti.

Remember that the Bagavad Gita is a training manual, not an essay on the nature of reality. Krishna is speaking to Arjuna who is still lost in the dream of body identification. So he is taking him from there on a long journey to enlightenment. On the way he sometimes stresses some aspects of realization, and at other times, other aspects. At first he says to Arjuna (paraphrasing): “You are not this…, you are not that…”, leading him towards realization of the attributeless Brahman. In the end he says (again paraphrasing): “I am all”.

Christi
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 12:23:37 AM by Christi »

rkishan

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 06:26:31 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Christi,

The next level (higher level) of realization takes us to the place where everything is included and known to be a part of the Self. Creation is seen to be flowing continuously from the unborn, and is not separate from it in any way. In truth, Prakriti and Purusha are one. So the dualities are accepted, and united. This is the true meaning of advaita, non-duality, unity, oneness.

Christi

Christi,

I still think that there is a confusion here between our understanding.  You have mentioned "Creation" in the above post.  According to Mandukya Upanishad, there was no "Creation" and there was no creator, (No "Easwara" also).  Nothing was ever "Created".  Again, compare this to analogy of the dream.  In the dream there was a whole world.  Was this dream world ever created?  It was never created and it never existed.  Similarly Prakriti or the manifested world was never created and never existed.

This complete denial of the existence of Prakriti or the manifested world is considered as the highest and only truth.  This concept may be very difficult or even impossible to comprehend due to the limitations of the mind and intellect, because we perceive the manifested world through our senses.  What happens to Prakriti or the manifested world during the state of "deep sleep"?  It is non-existent during the state of 'deep sleep', right? How can it be real if it is not existent in 'deep sleep'?  (Note: This is not my logic.  This is what is presented in Mandukya.  My intellect seems to agree (sometimes?) with this logic)

Mandukya was regarded as highest amongst the upanishads by many.  I was told by a Vedantic teacher from Chinmaya mission, that this highest truth --that there was no creation or creator-- was revealed only in 4 places in all of the scriptures of Sanatana Dharma.  Interestingly Bhagavat Gita is not one of them.
1. Mandukya Upanishad, 2. Ashtavakra Gita (Conversation between the great sage Ashtavakra and King Janaka), 3. Yoga Vasishta (Rama's conversation with Vasishta) and the 4.  Atma Bodha, Tattva Bodha or Viveka Choodamani by Adi Shankara (Not sure which one of the three?)

I think when Shankara wrote the Nirnanashatakam, he is talking from this Highest Vedantic/Advaitic oneness. Just Brahman, there was never any creation or creator.  So, how can I be this and that, when they don't even exist in the first place?

Krishna by acknowledging Prakiriti is talking from the standpoint of duality.  The moment we acknowledge the reality of the manifested world (Prakriti), we are in the dual or multiple mode.  I am not saying one of these philosophies is right and the other is wrong.  Though my intellect appreciates the Shankara and Mandukya's, "no creation, no creator, no world" theory, in my current state of existence, I actually favor Krishna's duality until the "no creation" theory becomes my own practical experience instead of the mere intellectual knowledge as it is right now.  

Regards,
Ram.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:22:53 AM by rkishan »

Christi

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 09:43:14 AM »
Hi Ram,

quote:
I still think that there is a confusion here between our understanding. You have mentioned "Creation" in the above post. According to Mandukya Upanishad, there was no "Creation" and there was no creator, (No "Easwara" also). Nothing was ever "Created". Again, compare this to analogy of the dream. In the dream there was a whole world. Was this dream world ever created? It was never created and it never existed. Similarly Prakriti or the manifested world was never created and never existed.
This complete denial of the existence of Prakriti or the manifested world is considered as the highest and only truth. This concept may be very difficult or even impossible to comprehend due to the limitations of the mind and intellect, because we perceive the manifested world through our senses. What happens to Prakriti or the manifested world during the state of "deep sleep"? It is non-existent during the state of 'deep sleep', right? How can it be real if it is not existent in 'deep sleep'? (Note: This is not my logic. This is what is presented in Mandukya. My intellect seems to agree (sometimes?) with this logic)

I can't see any mention in the Mandukya Upanishad of there being no Creator and no Creation, or no Easwara for that matter. In the first stanza it mentions the Gods. Brahman is mentioned as having four quarters, and in the first and second quarters, external objects and internal objects are known (2nd and 3rd stanzas). The fourth quarter is described as Turya in which everything is resolved, which is essentially Purusha. I don't see any denial of the existence of Prakriti, after all, what would be the external and internal objects which are known by the first two quarters of Brahman?

The essential teaching of the Upanishads with regards to Creation was that there is a Creator (Brahma) and a Creation. This is summed up in the first verse of the Mundaka Upanishad:

"Out of the infinite ocean of existence arose Brahma, first-born and foremost among the gods. From him sprang the universe, and he became its protector. The knowledge of Brahman, the foundation of all knowledge, he revealed to his first-born son, Atharva."

But here comes the essential (and often confusing point): the Creator and the Created are not two seperate things. They are Brahman.

quote:
Mandukya was regarded as highest amongst the upanishads by many. I was told by a Vedantic teacher from Chinmaya mission, that this highest truth --that there was no creation or creator-- was revealed only in 4 places in all of the scriptures of Sanatana Dharma. Interestingly Bhagavat Gita is not one of them.
1. Mandukya Upanishad, 2. Ashtavakra Gita (Conversation between the great sage Ashtavakra and King Janaka), 3. Yoga Vasishta (Rama's conversation with Vasishta) and the 4. Atma Bodha, Tattva Bodha or Viveka Choodamani by Adi Shankara (Not sure which one of the three?)

The Ashtavakra refers directly to Ishwara, the Creator. It is here in verse 11-2:

"Iishwaraha sarvanirmaataa na ih anya iti nishchayii
antargalit sarvaashaha shaantaha kva api na sajjate

There is nothing other than Ishwara, the Creator of all things. Having understood/ascertained this, all desires within have dropped off, one is peaceful, not attached to anything."

Creation is also mentioned in the Yoga Vasistha:

"Creation is what one sees and is aware of, and this is within oneself."

In Vedanta (including the Upanishads) the world is not described as being non-existent, but as illusory. It is the apparent independent existence of the phenomenal universe (and of the individual jivatma) which is illusory. This is much like the way a wave does not have any independent existence with regards to the ocean. It is the ocean before, during and after it has been a wave. Advaita (non duality) is not something which happens when the universe suddenly dissapears. It is something which is known, when we know the universe exists within us, and we are not other than That.

As it says in the Upanishads:

"All this, is Brahman"

Christi

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:44:22 AM by Christi »