Author Topic: Balance?  (Read 235 times)

AYPadmin

Balance?
« on: July 17, 2019, 08:30:21 AM »
Charliedog
1551 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  04:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Message  Delete Topic
For some time I was convinced that I stood in the middle, in balance, see both sides of the coin and know that it is one, like the yin-yang symbol. Me in the circumstances, I was the Witness, aware of everything happening, in and outside the body and mind. The seeing, the touching, the feeling, the thoughts, sensations, the speaking. Not involved.

It's gone now, it is just one, all is.
Suddenly there was the recognition that in balance is the line between two sides,
the line in the middle or the center is gone
Not in balance, not out of balance, just be.
Funny, it's like that gives space, freedom
Anybody who recognizes this?

ps thanks Jim
Edited by - Charliedog on Jun 30 2015 05:12:15 AM
Ayiram
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  05:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Ha, ha, Charliedog...

thank you. yes. was just thinking to myself: things are how they are. they don?t need "me" to think about them in order to be the way they are.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  06:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
I found this happened intermittently for several years. There was a switching back and forth like trying to tune in a TV. Picture. I can say that when the breakthrough happens it is like becoming suddenly very sober. Everything has immense clarity and solidity. A thing is a thing. For instance, a flower is no longer some poetic analogy, but a solid material entity with texture, colour, smell. It is noticed this way for the first time and it seems faintly funny to have imagined it some other way. If you have given up the drug of false self then you will know it. The phasing, and dulling that you hadn't noticed before will become apparent by its abscence. It's like buying a new pair of spectacles.

It might take a while so don't try and imagine this is so, you will know it the instant it becomes that way. You will be in Kansas because you are in Kansas and not imagining that you are
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1551 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  07:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
@ Ayiram, like opening the gate, let the me go, maybe the metafor of the breaking clay pot and the flowing out merging in the all.

@ Karl, what you say was already there, see it as it is, no concepts. But still there was a me observed by the Witness.

A flower is a poetic mystic wonder, seen true the eyes of love

Thank you both for sharing

edit:wording
Edited by - Charliedog on Jun 30 2015 11:56:03 AM
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  1:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
 For me it's love
Go to Top of Page
Bodhi Tree
2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2015 :  2:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

Amen, flower child.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  06:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

@ Karl, what you say was already there, see it as it is, no concepts. But still there was a me observed by the Witness.

Thank you both for sharing

Well there is no duality, no 'me and the witness'. It is like an imaginary friend. It exists only at the locus of the false ego. Here I differentiate between false ego and ego, although this is only another example of the incorrect labelling of a false duality.

Within the mind there is an infinity, a dimensionless, timelessness that can hold onto multiple thoughts at the same time. In the mind duality, triality, and even multiverses can exist. They need no physics, logic or laws to sustain them. We are and are not these thoughts both at the same time. It is impossible to get rid of thought generation. All we can do is to is bring order and end the conflict between what is realities and what is imagined reality.

In the example of a flower. The miracle is in the flower and not in the poetic allusions ascribed to the flower through our emotional constructs of egoistic self. This is what the guru was trying to say when he said 'you hear the birdsong and do not see the bird'. We apply emotion to a mountain scene and it blinds us to what is really there.

Love is an emotion, underlying love what is there ? If we cannot see we are lost. We build fairy tale castles and statues, write sonnets, songs and odes to love, but it is only an emotion, it is not the underwriter of what is real and special. This reality is hard to grasp. It seems to be a harsh rendering of our inner selves, but it is actually the brash illusion we paint on reality that is the intruder. We have adorned where there is no necessity to adorn. We do not have to gild the lily. A flower is a miracle does not require anything at all, but plain sight. It is the same with ourselves. We don't need to be adding richness and various intrigues, we need no perfume or paint, we are right just as we are.
Go to Top of Page
Jim and His Karma
2101 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  12:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
kari, I see it in a slightly different way.

When you mash down many notes on a piano at the same time with your forearms, the resulting roar of notes contains, if you listen carefully, every song you've ever heard - and every song that could ever be heard. It's just a matter of directing your attention to a given set of notes in a given order. The notes are unchanging - they're all pre-struck - but your attention finds melodies; it finds change and complexity in an unchanging multiverse of options. The apparent movement is a projection of shifts of our own attention. All is still, but shifting attention animates.

Everything's like that. All notes are struck. We develop habits of focusing on certain melodies, and, as we do so, our world contracts. The body's one such contractive habit. The ego is another. There's nothing special about them (or wrong with them); they're just reinforced habits of attention - songs we sing. We eventually hunker down with a mere handful of songs, and long for the world to bring us fresh ones, better ones, happier ones. We curse our luck.

There are clues about this. We see, very plainly, how the world transforms when our attention shifts (via epiphany, or crisis, or romance or other strong emotion, or the ability of art/music/literature to coax us into hearing someone else's songs; i.e. make our attention shift like the artist shift theirs). A new song can transform our entire world....but we stubbornly assume the songs are received; that attention follows the world rather than vice versa. And silly yogis deem themselves saintly for trying to play a "better" song....when, again, the deeper truth is that every note's already been struck, and the songs are a side effect of the caprice of your curious, restless attention. We create them out of playful delight, so, just like in the movies, sad or horrific scenes are just part of the entertainment spectrum (but, as with any really immersive entertainment, we forget it was just for kicks, and take it way, way too seriously).

Residing in a mansion of infinite rooms, I've huddled in but one,
Ever rueful of limitation.
Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Jul 01 2015 12:26:34 PM
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1551 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  1:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

Within the mind there is an infinity, a dimensionless, timelessness that can hold onto multiple thoughts at the same time.

Karl,

I see the infinite not in the mind, I see the mind in the infinite. The infinite awareness is timeless, never born, never dies.

If you hear a birdsong and not see the bird IMO what is meant is, the senses let you experience the love and beauty and there is no need to analyze with the mind the word bird, see the picture of that for instance nightingale, thinking ah once at a romantic night I hear and saw the same etc. etc. just be one with the song. The song is the expression of love. Be one with it. All words are concepts, use a word and you create dualism. The only language which can describe the wonder of existence is the poetic, the mystic. When hearing and understanding mystic language, then you can leave concepts and go behind the mind with meditation on those words.

For me love is not an emotion, it is energy, power. We are an expression of love, divine love, and I do not mean conditional love (which is emotional).

When using words to describe what I am, what we are is.... to be or not to be....
awareness, nothing or all.

My feeling now is love perhaps your feeling is emptiness.
I like talking about this but it is difficult to find words, silence gives answers.

Edited by - Charliedog on Jul 01 2015 1:47:19 PM
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  1:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

kari, I see it in a slightly different way.

When you mash down many notes on a piano at the same time with your forearms, the resulting roar of notes contains, if you listen carefully, every song you've ever heard - and every song that could ever be heard. It's just a matter of directing your attention to a given set of notes in a given order. The notes are unchanging - they're all pre-struck - but your attention finds melodies; it finds change and complexity in an unchanging multiverse of options. The apparent movement is a projection of shifts of our own attention. All is still, but shifting attention animates.

Everything's like that. All notes are struck. We develop habits of focusing on certain melodies, and, as we do so, our world contracts. The body's one such contractive habit. The ego is another. There's nothing special about them (or wrong with them); they're just reinforced habits of attention - songs we sing. We eventually hunker down with a mere handful of songs, and long for the world to bring us fresh ones, better ones, happier ones. We curse our luck.

There are clues about this. We see, very plainly, how the world transforms when our attention shifts (via epiphany, or crisis, or romance or other strong emotion, or the ability of art/music/literature to coax us into hearing someone else's songs; i.e. make our attention shift like the artist shift theirs). A new song can transform our entire world....but we stubbornly assume the songs are received; that attention follows the world rather than vice versa. And silly yogis deem themselves saintly for trying to play a "better" song....when, again, the deeper truth is that every note's already been struck, and the songs are a side effect of the caprice of your curious, restless attention. We create them out of playful delight, so, just like in the movies, sad or horrific scenes are just part of the entertainment spectrum (but, as with any really immersive entertainment, we forget it was just for kicks, and take it way, way too seriously).

Residing in a mansion of infinite rooms, I've huddled in but one,
Ever rueful of limitation.

If you mean music is entertainment then yes, of course it is. Im not sure what you mean by 'all the notes are already struck'. You seem to be implying that we are subjective consciousness or a version of that idea.
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  1:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
So many words ,so many ,twists and turns ,so many concepts dead end open doors ,so many so many and so on ,please live the life not theorise it ,oh and so many contradictions but that's enough for now or is as my movie my song may have just started or am I in the intermission or has my album been repressed re engaged you may get my point or does my point blunt your sense of knowing Iam not sure are you anyway peace and love to you all but only if the room your in have a light in it because if not you may be limited in what you see or you could light a match
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  1:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
J
quote:

quote:

quote:
Within the mind there is an infinity, a dimensionless, timelessness that can hold onto multiple thoughts at the same time.

Karl,

I see the infinite not in the mind, I see the mind in the infinite. The infinite awareness is timeless, never born, never dies.

If you hear a birdsong and not see the bird IMO what is meant is, the senses let you experience the love and beauty and there is no need to analyze with the mind the word bird, see the picture of that for instance nightingale, thinking ah once at a romantic night I hear and saw the same etc. etc. just be one with the song. The song is the expression of love. Be one with it. All words are concepts, use a word and you create dualism. The only language which can describe the wonder of existence is the poetic, the mystic. When hearing and understanding mystic language, then you can leave concepts and go behind the mind with meditation on those words.

Love is an emotion, underlying love what is there ?

For me love is not an emotion, it is energy, power. We are an expression of love, divine love, and I do not mean conditional love (which is emotional).

When using words to describe what I am, what we are is.... to be or not to be....
awareness, nothing or all.

My feeling now is love perhaps your feeling is emptiness.
I like talking about this but it is difficult to find words, silence gives answers.

Well then you must define love. If you say it is energy then you must express that in terms I can understand. If you say love is the coalescing of universal energies into solid bodies then I can agree with you.

However, first note that you said love to you was 'not an emotion' and yet you end by saying 'my feeling is love' and I think we can agree that all feelings not associated with direct perceptual physical inputs through the nervous system are infact called emotions or feelings.

We both have emotions  however I can tell you beyond any doubt at all that the universe was not created by emotions. Emotions came post consciousness and consciousness post universe.

I hate to burst your bubble at this point, but as this is the self inquiry forum I think I'm bound to point out the discrepancy between what is proven reality and what is elemental feeling.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  2:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kumar ul islam

So many words ,so many ,twists and turns ,so many concepts dead end open doors ,so many so many and so on ,please live the life not theorise it ,oh and so many contradictions but that's enough for now or is as my movie my song may have just started or am I in the intermission or has my album been repressed re engaged you may get my point or does my point blunt your sense of knowing Iam not sure are you anyway peace and love to you all but only if the room your in have a light in it because if not you may be limited in what you see or you could light a match

I would summarise that as 'please let me sleep and dream'. I prefer not to disturb you but the house is on fire and we need you on the front lawn pronto
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  2:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Please can Karl and Jim get a room in the mansion of infinite rooms
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  2:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

Please can Karl and Jim get a room in the mansion of infinite rooms

Kumar this is the part of the forum where duality is crushed into a singularity and false ego driven kicking and screaming from its hiding place

This is the cold, dark, logical part of the forum where unicorns and pots of gold are evaporated and only reality survives the test.
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1551 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  2:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Kumar, the description of 'nothing at all' can take many words   
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1551 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  2:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Ok Karl I will try to do.
quote:
Well then you must define love. If you say it is energy then you must express that in terms I can understand. If you say love is the coalescing of universal energies into solid bodies then I can agree with you.

However, first note that you said love to you was 'not an emotion' and yet you end by saying 'my feeling is love' and I think we can agree that all feelings not associated with direct perceptual physical inputs through the nervous system are infact called emotions or feelings.

We both have emotions however I can tell you beyond any doubt at all that the universe was not created by emotions. Emotions came post consciousness and consciousness post universe.

Agree with you so far, an emotional reaction is a feeling coming from a thought.
Conditional love is expecting something in return, so also emotional

Unconditional Love is expressing itself
That is all I can say
That is what we all are, but That is undefinable
What is the difference between Bhakti and Jnana.....
There is none......
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  3:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Taxi
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  4:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

Ok Karl I will try to do.
quote:

We both have emotions however I can tell you beyond any doubt at all that the universe was not created by emotions. Emotions came post consciousness and consciousness post universe.

Agree with you so far, an emotional reaction is a feeling coming from a thought.
Conditional love is expecting something in return, so also emotional

Unconditional Love is expressing itself
That is all I can say
That is what we all are, but That is undefinable
What is the difference between Bhakti and Jnana.....
There is none......

So, we are agreed that love is a feeling and therefore an emotional response. Conditional love is therefore simply the emotional response from some action, or thought.

What then is unconditional love? It's still has to be a feeling and an emotion, it must also be related to an action or a thought. How then can it be unconditional ? It's entirely conditional on you being conscious and feeling it, or it wouldn't exist at all.
You say we are all 'unconditional love' but as I've shown, that means precisely nothing. We are manifest and most certainly conditional.

This is why I say you are confusing the infinity of the minds creative powers with concrete reality. Love is just another emotional input like sight, or smell. This does not in any way detract from the miracle of the universe, life, consciousness voluntary human intercourse, creativity, caring, empathy. These are all wonderous and mystical in plain sight without any mind induced attributes.

However, If you confuse one with the other the result will be conflict. As soon as you confront reality with that image created by the minds infinity there will be a schism. It's like thinking you are going to get a certain wonderful present and having the emotion of happiness at the prospect, only to be confronted with the stark reality of empty wrapping paper-for now there is suffering where once there was deep happiness and joy.

Duality is like a broken limb. The bone appears to be two bones at first, then as one bone when healing takes place.

Im not doing smilies I'm being an uber tough taskmaster tonight and you are in my dungeon 
Edited by - karl on Jul 01 2015 4:37:57 PM
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  4:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

Taxi

taxi for Kumar
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  5:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
The problem Karl with all your words is this ,a pupil of a great master goes to learn all he can about levitation from another great sage when he returns he shows his own master that he can walk across the river on the water his own master looks at him and says why have you been away so long learning this trick as all I had to do was pay the ferry man two pennies to cross .you words are the trick but the simplicity in crossing transcending is very simple and doesn't take a book to tell or write .ah there's my taxi thank you and may your heart open to love I have for you.
Go to Top of Page
Bodhi Tree
2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  5:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

Uncanny. I was writing a potential blog last night, and this is precisely the metaphor I used to describe how everything is already embedded in stillness, and that nothing is truly "created"...only uncovered and revealed.

Great minds think alike.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  5:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

The problem Karl with all your words is this ,a pupil of a great master goes to learn all he can about levitation from another great sage when he returns he shows his own master that he can walk across the river on the water his own master looks at him and says why have you been away so long learning this trick as all I had to do was pay the ferry man two pennies to cross .you words are the trick but the simplicity in crossing transcending is very simple and doesn't take a book to tell or write .ah there's my taxi thank you and may your heart open to love I have for you.

Student and master I see no difference. Each has something the other does not.
I have said there is no trick. Reality is reality it's as simple as that.

There you go, running off in that Taxi I just called you tchh. Ungrateful yogi.
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  5:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply

Edited by - kumar ul islam on Jul 01 2015 5:44:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  6:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

Great minds think alike.

Fools seldom differ

Part of learning basic logic is finding these alternative cliche exist.

Many hands make light work: too many cooks spoil the broth

being one of the many gems designed to remind logicians to keep their arguments free from such fallacies.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  6:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

Did you get home OK ?

AYPadmin

Re: Balance?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 08:30:45 AM »
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  01:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Home is where the heart is
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1551 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  02:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Im not doing smilies I'm being an uber tough taskmaster tonight and you are in my dungeon

In stead of the definition of love, there are many examples of love.
a Guru is a definition of love....an impersonal human being outpouring his found love,
so perhaps the inner guru is the love I feel, I know it can grow....
Answers can be found in silence
Guru whispers them

Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  05:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

quote:

In stead of the definition of love, there are many examples of love.
a Guru is a definition of love....an impersonal human being outpouring his found love,
so perhaps the inner guru is the love I feel, I know it can grow....
Answers can be found in silence
Guru whispers them

Impersonal human being is an oxymoron.
You are again alluding to the love you feel which is perfectly valid. Love is an emotion experienced though human consciousness. It is related to the universe by being a creation of the universe, but is no more than that. We shouldn't let emotional feeling get tangled up in rational human exchange. One is not the other.

We perform actions which bring us emotional pleasure and emotions are the drivers for these actions. People feel altruistic when the exchanges do not involve material reward, but they do have emotional reward-and when you think about it, that's exactly what a material reward represents anyway. The 'altruist' simply misses out the material exchange and goes straight to the emotional reward. It is rational selfishness.

Meditation and SI allows us to disentangle the puzzle and see what's going on under our own hoods. We can then stop believing our own false narrative which gets in the way of getting on with life in an unfussy, untroubled, peaceful and smooth way. This is action in stillness to coin the yogic phrase. It may also be termed action less action, but this isn't a good phrase for it. I would venture to call it reaction less action, but only from the perspective that we don't gather any self reactionary suffering through the false employ of action through our egoistic self.

There is a point which must be travelled through for self realisation to occur. It involves a destabilisation of all we hold as reality. It is difficult to separate the wheat and the chaff whilst the wheat is growing in the field. First cut all the wheat down, gather then winnow. This is the only practical way to obtain the valuable wheat.

While the wheat is growing or in the process of harvesting, or gathering neither wheat nor chaff can clearly be seen. Only when the work is done and completed can the grains be counted. Everything prior to this is guesswork at best and completely false at worst. You can try intuition or feeling to guess the quantity, or apply clever analytical skills to try and obtain the answer ahead of time, but they will never tally exactly with the reality of the final counting.

That's as plain as I can put it. You can imagine how much grain you will have, you can intuit the quantity, or use equations to conclude the final result, but it will not and cannot be known until it is known and the wheat is weighed in reality.

All I'm doing here is to pointing out error. Nothing more. If you say you are flying then I will point out how your muscles work against gravity, or how gravity makes the body appear to fall, or air pressure keeps the wings of the aircraft aloft. I will tell you that it is not love or calculation that achieves the appearance of flight, it is physical reality. It is what it is and I am what I am.

You can do this my using SI to constantly and consistently trace experience and experiencer back to the source, but it is a very crude tool. It is like a hurricane that flattens the field and scatters the wheat in all directions, leaving the poor farmer searching the field and hedgerows to recover each lost grain. I'm not in favour of it, despite knowing its power and effectiveness, it is, I believe, too brutal for western minds at least.

All that being said, I love where you are and that we can converse like this, it is very special and exciting.

Edited by - karl on Jul 02 2015 05:51:42 AM
Go to Top of Page
Blanche
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  06:21:03 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Karl,

Keeping company with this world,
There are only flowing images on an impermanent river -
Silence has no center or boundaries -
Collapsed on a pinhead, the entire creation disappears -
The source is outpouring love and light.
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1551 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  07:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
It is like a hurricane that flattens the field and scatters the wheat in all directions, leaving the poor farmer searching

You know Karl, this really happened, the poor farmer searched and searched, found the path of yoga, found SI, found his Guru, and at last he found the inner Guru.
And now the farmer sees reality as it is, by his own experience, he knows he is
and also knows that he can not talk Thruth.

Thruth is the experience of, existence and knowledge here and now.

The farmer plants seeds of love now, wishing them to grow....

I call and feel That as LOVE  , but there is no I, so Advaita talk, there is no love either.
Thanks for this interesting paradoxal talk together, talking is for the ego.

edit spelling.
Edited by - Charliedog on Jul 02 2015 08:45:05 AM
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
H
quote:

quote:
It is like a hurricane that flattens the field and scatters the wheat in all directions, leaving the poor farmer searching

You know Karl, this really happened, the poor farmer searched and searched, found the path of yoga, found SI, found his Guru, and at last he found the inner Guru.
And now the farmer sees reality as it is, by his own experience, he knows he is
and also knows that he can not talk Thruth.

Thruth is the experience of, existence and knowledge here and now.

The farmer plants seeds of love now, wishing them to grow....

I call and feel That as LOVE  , but there is no I, so Advaita talk, there is no love either.
Thanks for this interesting paradoxal talk together, talking is for the ego.

edit spelling.

There is most certainly an I and also the emotion of love is real enough. Talking is talking.

Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  10:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche

Hi Karl,

Keeping company with this world,
There are only flowing images on an impermanent river -
Silence has no center or boundaries -
Collapsed on a pinhead, the entire creation disappears -
The source is outpouring love and light.

Nice.

We witness flowing images bounded by time. Impermanence applies to things making up the universe, but not the universe itself. Everything else is entropic within the universe. Yet the universe persists because it is time itself and not bounded by time.

Silence is the abscence of sound so by implication it has no geometric centre, but it may still have boundaries.

Collapsed on a pinhead is not disappearance but contraction or reduction-there is an exercise in logical argument that asked the question 'how many angels can fit on the head of a pin'.

The source of what ? If you mean by creation totality/the universe, then there is no source. There are causes and effects within the totality of the universe. Endless ripples.

This is to say things exist separate to you. They are prior to consciousness. It suits SI and meditation to treat everything as if it was an outpouring of subjective consciousness. So that in deep dreamless sleep all existence is extinguished and then everything manifests again on gaining consciousness. This is a kind of reordering. A loosening of thought and perception. It is neti neti-not this, not this and therefore negation of our direct perception.

In the SRM book- be as you are ( SRM being the most hardy advocate of SI) he describes this step as necessary :

Q So the world is not really illusory ?
A at the level of the spiritual seeker you have got to say the world is an illusion . There is no other way.when a man forgets he is Brahman , who is real, permanent and omipresent, and deludes himself into thinking that he is the body in the universe which is filled with bodies that are transitory , and labours under the delusion, you have to remind him that the world is untreated and a delusion. Why? Because his vision which has forgotten its own self is dwelling in the external, material universe. It will not turn inwards into introspection unless you impress on him that all this external, material universe is unreal. When once he realises his own self he will know that there is nothing other than his own self and will come to look on the whole universe as Brahman. There is no universe without the self . As long as a man does not see the self which is the origin of all, but looks only at the external world as real and permanent, you have to tell him that all this external universe is an illusion.

Now this is not clear to a seeker. It is not meant to be. A blind man cannot see until his eyes are made whole. Yet the eyes are already whole, but refuse to see. One must be declared blind at the beginning so that sight may begin again, even if this is somewhat a lie, it is the direct experience of the seeker. The I must first be known from the false I.

Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  11:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
What is the use of well of water when all the land that surrounds it are in flood
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  1:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

What is the use of well of water when all the land that surrounds it are in flood

The well is fresh water, the floods are filthy run off tainted with dead animals, sewage and other nasties. Drink of the fresh water.

Did you get a taxi back here ?
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  2:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
I had already thought you may say that ,so here's another ,a man is troubled by a demon so he obtains a special mantra and powder to get rid of this demon he chants over the powder but before he finishes the demon says I have already gotten into the powder before the mantra had started.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  2:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

I had already thought you may say that ,so here's another ,a man is troubled by a demon so he obtains a special mantra and powder to get rid of this demon he chants over the powder but before he finishes the demon says I have already gotten into the powder before the mantra had started.

The man is ignorant. There are no demons and no special powder or mantra are necessary.
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  2:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Your logic your words your explanations your play your leela are the demon the powder and the chants are your attachment to there use and your want to narrate these to others is your ego identifying with what you believe to be the self
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  3:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Tough love Karl but love all the same
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  3:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

Your logic your words your explanations your play your leela are the demon the powder and the chants are your attachment to there use and your want to narrate these to others is your ego identifying with what you believe to be the self

I am as I am. Why concern yourself with such things ?
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  3:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

Tough love Karl but love all the same

well, whatever it takes.
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  4:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Forgive my intrusion , peace to you brother on your journey.
Go to Top of Page
Blanche
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  5:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

We witness flowing images bounded by time. Impermanence applies to things making up the universe, but not the universe itself. Everything else is entropic within the universe. Yet the universe persists because it is time itself and not bounded by time.

Silence is the abscence of sound so by implication it has no geometric centre, but it may still have boundaries.

Collapsed on a pinhead is not disappearance but contraction or reduction-there is an exercise in logical argument that asked the question 'how many angels can fit on the head of a pin'.

The source of what ? If you mean by creation totality/the universe, then there is no source. There are causes and effects within the totality of the universe. Endless ripples.

This is to say things exist separate to you. They are prior to consciousness. It suits SI and meditation to treat everything as if it was an outpouring of subjective consciousness. So that in deep dreamless sleep all existence is extinguished and then everything manifests again on gaining consciousness. This is a kind of reordering. A loosening of thought and perception. It is neti neti-not this, not this and therefore negation of our direct perception.

Witty reply! A reply not to my writing, but to your take on it. How logical is that? Even if I accept your interpretation, we could argue ad infinitum: Is time real? Is space real? Is the universe real? Are we speaking here of "silence" as the absence of sound, or something else? Can the world "collapse"? Why do I write this as poetry? etc. (Could not argue about SMR and SI, as I do not know about them...)

You rightly point out that all this makes no sense. It is non-sense. I agree with you - it does not make sense from a rational viewpoint. It does make sense from another view point, not a logical view point, but a state of being.

Logic can take one only so far, and rational lucidity has sharp edges. What I am trying to say is that reason and logic are great tools in epistemological pursuits, but they are false friends when applied ubiquitously. Logic is meaningless from the viewpoint of life.

All this reminds me of a story told by Osho: A safari expedition set camp in a dangerous place. To protect themselves from the wild animals, they built a high fence around the camp, and dug a deep ditch around the fence. One evening, one of the members of the expedition, a famous professor of logic, went for a walk out of the camp. Suddenly, he was attacked by a lion. He had no gun, so he ran back to the camp and fell into the ditch, all the time with the lion right behind him. His friends heard the yelling and screaming, and they came to the fence, just to see the professor running around the camp, in the ditch, followed by the lion. "Watch out! The lion is getting closer!" they yelled. "That's all right," the professor yelled back. "I am one round ahead of him."

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. You are exactly where you are supposed to be. All is well. But I dare to say that if you release these questions in silence - and move the silence ( and I assure you that "moving silence" is no metaphor), the answers will surprise you.
Go to Top of Page
sunyata
USA
1395 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  5:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Amen Blanche
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  7:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
 Witty reply! A reply not to my writing, but to your take on it. How logical is that? Even if I accept your interpretation, we could argue ad infinitum: Is time real? Is space real? Is the universe real? Are we speaking here of "silence" as the absence of sound, or something else? Can the world "collapse"? Why do I write this as poetry? etc. (Could not argue about SMR and SI, as I do not know about them...)

You rightly point out that all this makes no sense. It is non-sense. I agree with you - it does not make sense from a rational viewpoint. It does make sense from another view point, not a logical view point, but a state of being.

Logic can take one only so far, and rational lucidity has sharp edges. What I am trying to say is that reason and logic are great tools in epistemological pursuits, but they are false friends when applied ubiquitously. Logic is meaningless from the viewpoint of life.

All this reminds me of a story told by Osho: A safari expedition set camp in a dangerous place. To protect themselves from the wild animals, they built a high fence around the camp, and dug a deep ditch around the fence. One evening, one of the members of the expedition, a famous professor of logic, went for a walk out of the camp. Suddenly, he was attacked by a lion. He had no gun, so he ran back to the camp and fell into the ditch, all the time with the lion right behind him. His friends heard the yelling and screaming, and they came to the fence, just to see the professor running around the camp, in the ditch, followed by the lion. "Watch out! The lion is getting closer!" they yelled. "That's all right," the professor yelled back. "I am one round ahead of him."

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. You are exactly where you are supposed to be. All is well. But I dare to say that if you release these questions in silence - and move the silence ( and I assure you that "moving silence" is no metaphor), the answers will surprise you.

If you argue Blanche then you must make a claim that something is true or real. A thing is a thing.

Even your own beliefs/ arguments are governed by that very same logic that you are questioning. If you cannot know anything for certain, then how you can you claim you know what you know? You then disqualify yourself from further discussion by being unable to know anything with any certainty. How could I possibly take such a person seriously ?

So, now, if you are rational you must prove what you say is truth and real. You must put it terms I understand-in ditch digger English.

If you say 'moving silence' is this absence of sound, of thought, of energy. How, if it is absent can it be also moving ? Something that is absent cannot also possess the quality of movement. You see you are fighting reality by defying rational logic.

I would also be defying rational logic to argue you did not believe what you say. I agree with reality. A thing is a thing.

Logic is meaningless to a cat or a tree, that is certainly true. Man distinguishes himself from animals by the application of reason. It is what separates us from all other animals. It is not simply an arbitrary tool waved around on the surface of life, but the absolute nadir for a human animal. Logic is just a more refined facet of human reasoning. It is highly conscious reasoning, practised reasoning. It takes us from what is subjective and superstitious to what is true and real. Surely that is the very essence of enlightenment ?

Edited by - karl on Jul 02 2015 10:35:15 PM
Go to Top of Page
Bodhi Tree
2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  9:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Blanche!

Enticing, compelling, strong...Grrr...
Go to Top of Page
BillinL.A.
USA
375 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  10:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Nice Blanche, thank you!..."move the silence".

In this context that hits home for me.
Go to Top of Page
Blanche
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  09:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
  Sunyata
Go to Top of Page
Blanche
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  09:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
  Karl,

Are you saying that I am a fool when it comes to arguing? Because I agree with you.  One of Ryokan's poems goes like this:

Last year: a fool.
This year: no change.

It is true for me.

As I said, I am not trying to convince you of anything. I am not arguing with you. When it comes to spiritual life, what is the point of replacing a set of intellectual beliefs with another set of intellectual beliefs? None.

Do I say that abiding inner silence is "this absence of sound, of thought, of energy?" Or you say so? You are practicing meditation for so long - you must know what I am talking about. Are you doing samyama? Because in samyama, you MOVE SILENCE. If you practice samyama, you know what I am talking about. If you don't, you may want to try it.

In spiritual life, there is "knowing" - having the information, and based on it one can have beliefs and arguments. And there is what I call "knowing without knowing" assimilated experience. Knowledge without the experience is incomprehensible. Without the assimilated experience, knowledge is food for the mind, that is, the mind uses this knowledge to strengthen the ego. The more one argues, the stronger the ego gets.

Why do you argue? Why such a cognitive complexity for something so simple? Maybe because you know that there is something else, something beyond the mind? Something infinite more powerful than the mind? Something that when arises will put the mind on the side-line?

Greetings to that infinite in you, my fellow traveler.

Go to Top of Page
Blanche
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  09:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Bodhi and BillinL.A.,
Bows to the silence in you
Go to Top of Page
BillinL.A.
USA
375 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  11:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Blanche a millions thanks for going to the trouble of expressing your silence here.

quote:

Karl,

Are you saying that I am a fool when it comes to arguing? Because I agree with you.  One of Ryokan's poems goes like this:

It is true for me.

As I said, I am not trying to convince you of anything. I am not arguing with you. When it comes to spiritual life, what is the point of replacing a set of intellectual beliefs with another set of intellectual beliefs? None.

Do I say that abiding inner silence is "this absence of sound, of thought, of energy?" Or you say so? You are practicing meditation for so long - you must know what I am talking about. Are you doing samyama? Because in samyama, you MOVE SILENCE. If you practice samyama, you know what I am talking about. If you don't, you may want to try it.

In spiritual life, there is "knowing" - having the information, and based on it one can have beliefs and arguments. And there is what I call "knowing without knowing" assimilated experience. Knowledge without the experience is incomprehensible. Without the assimilated experience, knowledge is food for the mind, that is, the mind uses this knowledge to strengthen the ego. The more one argues, the stronger the ego gets.

Why do you argue? Why such a cognitive complexity for something so simple? Maybe because you know that there is something else, something beyond the mind? Something infinite more powerful than the mind? Something that when arises will put the mind on the side-line?

AYPadmin

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 08:31:10 AM »
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  12:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

Karl,

It is true for me.

Did I say you were a fool ? No I didn't, neither did I infer it. I said if you begin an argument from the perspective that logic has no place, then you effectively disqualify yourself from the argument.

I'm not trying to win points in a discussion like a lawyer, I'm only interested in finding the truth of things. Sticking with reality, what is valid, proven and truth. Unless that is accomplished there is no point in any discussion and if you go knocking yourself out of the quest before we start by saying logic and reason are unnecessary, then we are left with pure intuition and emotion. They have never proven themselves accurate at very much at all.

You are making assumptions when you say 'I must know' or 'it's obvious'. I'm asking if you would be so kind as to define in concrete terms what you are saying. If you tell me you believe a square circle exists, or a moving stillness, then you need to define it, because it appears to me that these things are entirely in opposition and conflict.

This is not about what I can feel, imagine, create the scenery of, the story of. Those things I have already said are beyond investigation or proving. They are scenery, no more no less unless proof can be provided of their existence. If it cannot, then we can say they are not real, they conflict with reality.

You say there is a 'knowing' what you are really saying is that you just 'feel' it. Something just seems true. Yet you have not investigated if it is true. You are so certain that it is that you don't question it. Essentially this is the point of Self Inquiry. As I said, I don't think it's particularly a good method, but is effective. It is the refusal to test the limits of this 'knowing' that shows the false self remains in place.

You think in terms of simplicity but have made a cage out of a web of untested illusions, scenery and complex emotional twisting. simplicity has no 'knowing without knowing' or 'moving silence' or ' culmative experience' instead it is plain truth through rational logical questioning. Eventually a self generated fallacy can be spotted before it gets going. It is precisely what Yogani said would happened with the witness, except there is no need for this separatie witness anymore. It was an attachment. It vanishes when the false ego vanishes.

You talk as if the mind were separate to you. You are one. There is only the self. There is nothing more than the self, that's all there is. It is not a question of there being something more powerful or different. You already are as you are. You are the self there is nothing more. It sounds weird for me to say it, because I thought it was weird when SRM said it. It seemed to have some amazing cosmic significance at the time, some outer worldly power, but I see that it is not what he meant at all. He was specific, you are you, there is nothing else, you are the self.

Find the self. Dig for it. You will find everything else is false. I cannot stress it much more. If you want to call it preaching then fine, let it be that, calls it Karls false ego, Karl's delusion. Whatever you like. You are here as a seeker of truth. You have not asked me to lecture you, preach to you, but all the same we are here now and communicating. It would be crass of me to say 'follow this, follow that, this is the right way', I can only ask you to prove your own beliefs in the cold light of reasoning. If we cannot even get to that neutral ground, I can see I'm never going to be much good at this and I will do little more than cause friction.

I don't even know if it should matter, or does matter if you know these things or not, I don't know why it should. It feels like I'm shouting at a peach and saying 'ripen' over and over ike some demented lunatic , the peach will ripen in its own time, my shouting at it seems wasted effort, yet I'm compelled, driven to continue. Maybe then I still have some way to go, I expect so. 'A lot to learn has this one' ' strong with the force but careless with it and too eager. Enthusiastic but clumsy'

Go to Top of Page
BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  12:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi everyone

Wonderful to hear about your reaching this milestone Charliedog.

The discussion here reminds me of something I heard once: "Those who know don't talk and those who talk don't know". A little pessimistic perhaps, but this thread illustrates what happens when those who know (had the experience) talk to those who have not had the experience (yet). I guess that is the reason why Yogani focuses so much on describing the techniques, without much detail about where the techniques take us.
Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jul 03 2015 12:58:48 PM
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  2:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
It
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Hi everyone

The discussion here reminds me of something I heard once: "Those who know don't talk and those who talk don't know". A little pessimistic perhaps, but this thread illustrates what happens when those who know (had the experience) talk to those who have not had the experience (yet). I guess that is the reason why Yogani focuses so much on describing the techniques, without much detail about where the techniques take us.

Yet we haven't determined which is which yet BR. There is really nothing to know in that sense. There is no experience, there is a casting out of experience and knowing until there is only that which is and was always.

I agree that is why Yogani spends more time in that direction. Yet he also dwells on the results even to the point of the short novel based on AYP techniques. We are all here on this forum trying to do something, it's a melting pot, so why should it be a problem if we discuss these things, it's why we are here.
Go to Top of Page
BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  2:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
It's not a problem Karl, just more productive to do our practices IMHO.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  3:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

It's not a problem Karl, just more productive to do our practices IMHO.

Isn't that the principle behind that organised Yoga group. SRF or some such thing ? Where they must not discuss aspects of progress ?

This forum is proof of the need to discuss results. Surely that's part and parcel of it ?
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1551 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  3:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Hi Blue,

I missed you , nice to see you back

Love to you all

Go to Top of Page
BillinL.A.
USA
375 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  6:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Super great to have you back Blue!
Go to Top of Page
Blanche
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  8:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BillinL.A.

Blanche a millions thanks for going to the trouble of expressing your silence here.

Bill, the silence reverberates all the way to L.A. 

Go to Top of Page
Blanche
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  8:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
What can I say, Karl? I find this reply hysterically funny.  Thank you.

quote:
Did I say you were a fool ? No I didn't, neither did I infer it. I said if you begin an argument from the perspective that logic has no place, then you effectively disqualify yourself from the argument.

I'm not trying to win points in a discussion like a lawyer, I'm only interested in finding the truth of things. Sticking with reality, what is valid, proven and truth. Unless that is accomplished there is no point in any discussion and if you go knocking yourself out of the quest before we start by saying logic and reason are unnecessary, then we are left with pure intuition and emotion. They have never proven themselves accurate at very much at all.

You are making assumptions when you say 'I must know' or 'it's obvious'. I'm asking if you would be so kind as to define in concrete terms what you are saying. If you tell me you believe a square circle exists, or a moving stillness, then you need to define it, because it appears to me that these things are entirely in opposition and conflict.

This is not about what I can feel, imagine, create the scenery of, the story of. Those things I have already said are beyond investigation or proving. They are scenery, no more no less unless proof can be provided of their existence. If it cannot, then we can say they are not real, they conflict with reality.

You say there is a 'knowing' what you are really saying is that you just 'feel' it. Something just seems true. Yet you have not investigated if it is true. You are so certain that it is that you don't question it. Essentially this is the point of Self Inquiry. As I said, I don't think it's particularly a good method, but is effective. It is the refusal to test the limits of this 'knowing' that shows the false self remains in place.

You think in terms of simplicity but have made a cage out of a web of untested illusions, scenery and complex emotional twisting. simplicity has no 'knowing without knowing' or 'moving silence' or ' culmative experience' instead it is plain truth through rational logical questioning. Eventually a self generated fallacy can be spotted before it gets going. It is precisely what Yogani said would happened with the witness, except there is no need for this separatie witness anymore. It was an attachment. It vanishes when the false ego vanishes.

You talk as if the mind were separate to you. You are one. There is only the self. There is nothing more than the self, that's all there is. It is not a question of there being something more powerful or different. You already are as you are. You are the self there is nothing more. It sounds weird for me to say it, because I thought it was weird when SRM said it. It seemed to have some amazing cosmic significance at the time, some outer worldly power, but I see that it is not what he meant at all. He was specific, you are you, there is nothing else, you are the self.

Find the self. Dig for it. You will find everything else is false. I cannot stress it much more. If you want to call it preaching then fine, let it be that, calls it Karls false ego, Karl's delusion. Whatever you like. You are here as a seeker of truth. You have not asked me to lecture you, preach to you, but all the same we are here now and communicating. It would be crass of me to say 'follow this, follow that, this is the right way', I can only ask you to prove your own beliefs in the cold light of reasoning. If we cannot even get to that neutral ground, I can see I'm never going to be much good at this and I will do little more than cause friction.

I don't even know if it should matter, or does matter if you know these things or not, I don't know why it should. It feels like I'm shouting at a peach and saying 'ripen' over and over ike some demented lunatic , the peach will ripen in its own time, my shouting at it seems wasted effort, yet I'm compelled, driven to continue. Maybe then I still have some way to go, I expect so. 'A lot to learn has this one' ' strong with the force but careless with it and too eager. Enthusiastic but clumsy'

Go to Top of Page
Blanche
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  8:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

Hi everyone

Dear Blue Raincoat,

Welcome back! The world has more color with you here.

You are right - there is nothing to talk about, and more to do in yoga practice.

If I were the witness to this argument in private, I would have listened quietly. But there are many people reading here, in the forum, and once I read the thread I had to say something. Keeping quiet would have meant that I agreed with the position of pure logical reasoning as the path to enlightenment. The answers are beyond reasoning. I hope nobody believes me, but maybe someone reading this decides to read the lessons and follow the practice. The practice will bring the answers.

Without the line in the middle,
the space is free
to drench us in unbounding love.
Go to Top of Page
Bodhi Tree
2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  11:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
A good example of stillness in action is a hummingbird. The hummingbird beats its wings incredibly fast, yet the core of its body is remarkably still so that it can hover before a flower and drink the nectar easily. It's essentially two opposites existing simultaneously in one organism.

Logic and rationality are in favor of this phenomenon, as are emotion and intuition.
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1551 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  02:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche[/i
the space is free

Amen
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  04:09:21 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

A good example of stillness in action is a hummingbird. The hummingbird beats its wings incredibly fast, yet the core of its body is remarkably still so that it can hover before a flower and drink the nectar easily. It's essentially two opposites existing simultaneously in one organism.

Logic and rationality are in favor of this phenomenon, as are emotion and intuition.

They are not. There is no separation. The wings of the hummingbird do not exist apart from the entity of the bird. The body is in constant motion, the chest muscles are driving the wings, heart beats, brain sends signals, lungs breath, tail moves, stomach digests, blood pumps.

No opposites exist at the same time in the same place.

It is as if you are saying a square circle exists but decline to provide the evidence.

You are trying to argue the point which I respect , unlike Blanche who appears to have wandered off into the fallacy of 'appeal to laughter'.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  04:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
J
quote:

What can I say, Karl? I find this reply hysterically funny.  Thank you.

You are welcome.

However you seem to have somewhat lost the thread of the argument and fallen into the fallacy of 'appeal to laughter'. You do, of course have the audience of like minded thinkers to cheer you on, but that doesn't mean anything to me. You wished to 'take me on' I believe was the phrase. You have failed to provide evidence to support your argument and laughter-no matter how beneficial or enjoyable-has no value in this context. Unless you have anything further to add, then it seems we are not to advance this discussion further.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  04:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

quote:

Hi everyone

Dear Blue Raincoat,

Welcome back! The world has more color with you here.

You are right - there is nothing to talk about, and more to do in yoga practice.

If I were the witness to this argument in private, I would have listened quietly. But there are many people reading here, in the forum, and once I read the thread I had to say something. Keeping quiet would have meant that I agreed with the position of pure logical reasoning as the path to enlightenment. The answers are beyond reasoning. I hope nobody believes me, but maybe someone reading this decides to read the lessons and follow the practice. The practice will bring the answers.

the space is free

The answers are not beyond reasoning , but first you must apply reasoning instead of emotional intuition.

There is no doubt that the practices are/were necessary, but they have to bring you to something. As my old drum teacher used to say ' you can practice all you like Karl, I can show you a million complex fills, rhythmic tricks and styles and you can bench on them for years, but in the end it is about getting out there with a band and performing for an audience otherwise it is wasted effort, you may as well learn to balance the drum on your head as play it" .
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  04:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

Hi Blue,

I missed you , nice to see you back

Love to you all

Any chance we can have the group hugs somewhere else ?
Go to Top of Page
Bodhi Tree
2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  04:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Well, I guess nothing of the material world is truly still, but even so, the material world is a reflection of stillness, so the only way we can come to the deepest reality of stillness is by learning from the surface-level illusion of material things. With the hummingbird, there is certainly an appearance of stillness, and that counts on the reality-discernment meter.

I was jamming tonight in a friend's garage, and we were singing harmonies together, and a beautiful girl was dancing to my beats. All this vibrant activity was happening, and yet I felt as if I was doing nothing. It just kind of flowed effortlessly, even during the improvisation. We also laughed a lot.

Is that stillness in action? How can I prove it to be true other than by subjectively describing the paradoxical sensations rolling across my perception?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that is an experience of subject-object union.
Edited by - Bodhi Tree on Jul 04 2015 04:38:25 AM
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1551 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  04:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that is an experience of subject-object union.

Amen?
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  05:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
I
quote:

Well, I guess nothing of the material world is truly still, but even so, the material world is a reflection of stillness, so the only way we can come to the deepest reality of stillness is by learning from the surface-level illusion of material things. With the hummingbird, there is certainly an appearance of stillness, and that counts on the reality-discernment meter.

I was jamming tonight in a friend's garage, and we were singing harmonies together, and a beautiful girl was dancing to my beats. All this vibrant activity was happening, and yet I felt as if I was doing nothing. It just kind of flowed effortlessly, even during the improvisation. We also laughed a lot.

Is that stillness in action? How can I prove it to be true other than by subjectively describing the paradoxical sensations rolling across my perception?

You already have the answers but refuse to acknowledge them. You are asking your own questions but are refusing to try to answer them.

If it's subjective then what is it ? If you answer subjectively then who is providing the answer ?

'reflection of stillness' it's very pretty, your words are pretty, but you are not your words.

There is no 'surface level illusion of material things'. There are realities, concretes, existent things and there are non concrete self generated , internal emotions and scenery.

We mix them up, we cannot see the wood for the trees, reality from falsity and it creates a schism, seperation, suffering. There is real objective separation and emotional subjective separation. One gets implied on the other. The emotion gets transferred to the instrument you are playing, the girl dancing, the sounds. It is a distraction. Objective and subjective then flow together when they ought not to.

Yet you know this, I do not need to tell you, it is surely why you wish to end the addiction to drugs. You see how it mushed everything together into chow, like baby food it's easy to eat, there is no chewing.

Go to Top of Page
BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  06:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
I love you guys.

Karl, there is a hug for you too. Not compulsory of course; you can have it if you want to.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  07:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

I love you guys.

Karl, there is a hug for you too. Not compulsory of course; you can have it if you want to.

LOL everyone except the heretic 

No, I don't need one, but I politely thank you anyway. I would prefer to discuss the subject under consideration.
Edited by - karl on Jul 04 2015 07:28:36 AM
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  07:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
then conches and kettle drums ,tabors and trumpets and cow horns suddenly blared forth ;and the sound was stupendous.
whereupon madhava and pandava ,seated in thier magnificent yoked to white horses ,also blew thier celestial conchs.
hrishikesea ,the devadatta;and vrikodara ,the doer of fearful deeds ,blew his great conch,the paundra.
king yudhishthira ,the son of kunti ,blew his conch,the anantavijaya;and nakula and sahadeva blew the sughosha and the manipushpaka.
the great archer ,the kingof kasi;the great warrior sikhandi,dhristadyyumna and viirata;the unconquered satyaki;
drupada ,and the sons of draupadi ,and the mighty son of subhadra ,oh lord of the earth ,each blew his own conch.
and that tumult ,resounding through heaven and earth rent the the hearts of dhritarashtras followers.

the ultimate self enquiry begins love to you all
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
There is only self inquiry, there isn't a different version called 'ultimate'.
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
i knew you would be waiting
Go to Top of Page
BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

I meant exactly the opposite - pointed out you were one of "you guys" in my previous post, despite the fact that you don't warm up to hugs. I'm fine with that too.

AYPadmin

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 08:31:33 AM »
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

i knew you would be waiting

Boo
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
freedom and love awaits open your heart
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

quote:

I meant exactly the opposite - pointed out you were one of "you guys" in my previous post, despite the fact that you don't warm up to hugs. I'm fine with that too.

Then I took the liberty of taking advantage of your amphibolous statement.

I will play if it is only for play.

Go to Top of Page
Dogboy
USA
1584 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
I'm hungry, let's eat.
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
the lord said.you have been mourning for those who should not be mourned for ;yet you speak word of wisdom .niether for the living nor for dead do the wise grieve.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

freedom and love awaits open your heart

You must know what it is and why it is before you can offer it. Don't go making bets you cannot cover.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

I'm hungry, let's eat.

Ah yes.  I'm all in favour. What shall we have I wonder ?
Go to Top of Page
Charliedog
1551 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

quote:

I'm hungry, let's eat.

What am I ?
Who am I ?
What for am I here ?
Am I ?
Saterday special
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
you lament losing the process you rely on do not mourn the loss of this its another attachment ,when these processes are niether alive or dead then your own wisdom does not grieve
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

the lord said.you have been mourning for those who should not be mourned for ;yet you speak word of wisdom .niether for the living nor for dead do the wise grieve.

Quoting scripture shall not feed the hungry nor comfort the sad.

your understanding of that passage is different to mine.
Edited by - karl on Jul 04 2015 09:23:17 AM
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
your heart begins to open let go
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  09:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

you lament losing the process you rely on do not mourn the loss of this its another attachment ,when these processes are niether alive or dead then your own wisdom does not grieve

A process simply is. If it halts it ends.

You do not know f you are attached to anything . First investigate if there is any such attachment. You will see no such thing is possible.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  09:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
H
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm hungry, let's eat.

What am I ?
Who am I ?
What for am I here ?
Am I ?
Saterday special

Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  09:06:37 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
nothing ends karl just new beginings
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  09:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

your heart begins to open let go

I would concern yourself with your own heart. That's the best advice I can give if that is worth much at all.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  09:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

nothing ends karl just new beginings

If nothing ends then nothing begins. You have not thought out your premesis.

Careful of equivocation Kumar.
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  09:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
my heart is open to you right now ,do not be angry do not desire to be right or wrong this is the enemy it devours all
enveloped is knowledge ,oh son of kunti ,by the insatiable fire of desire ,which is the constant foe of the wise.
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  09:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
i am not thinking i am being .
let a man be lifted up by his own self ;let him not lower himself;for he himself is his friend ,and he himself is his enemy.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  09:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

my heart is open to you right now ,do not be angry do not desire to be right or wrong this is the enemy it devours all
enveloped is knowledge ,oh son of kunti ,by the insatiable fire of desire ,which is the constant foe of the wise.

See who's heart it is that is open, find that one. See who is saying these things find that one.
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  09:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
in a clean spot having fixed his a firm seat niether too high nor to low and having spread over it a kusa grass ,and then a deer skin ,and then a cloth ,
and sitting there ,he should practice yoga for purification of the self,restraining the activities of his mind and senses and bring his thoughts to one point

i am looking
fellow seeker
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  09:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

i am not thinking i am being .
let a man be lifted up by his own self ;let him not lower himself;for he himself is his friend ,and he himself is his enemy.

If you are not thinking then how are you being ?

These aren't just logical fallacies, they are fallacies within fallacies. The verse you quoted is also correct.

Let a man be lifted 'up' let him not 'lower' himself.
For he is friend and enemy.

Let me expand it from my understanding and then you can comment. Neither of us will know what the writer meant exactly so we cannot say more than 'this is how I see it'.

Up is higher consciousness. In ancient times higher consciousness was enlightent and enlightenment was reason. Questioning everything in order to discover the truth. To define a thing.

Lower is the beast ( dramatic sounding )it is our base brains, these are responsible for animal instincts and above them sits our emotional centres. Emotion was always regarded as the enemy, the beast within. It was one reason why women were often excluded as they were thought too emotionally compromised-I don't subscribe to that thesis by the way, it was more than likely a power play.

Whilst emotion is in control it makes us avoid reason and logic. Our minds are then ruled by mysticism, emotion, intuition, superstition.

Heart does not mean what you think it does. You presume it means a feeling of love. Yet it actually means centre. Centre is geometric. If you study the quadrivium you will see that centre, line and arc were/are enormously important. It means from whence it originates.

Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  09:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

in a clean spot having fixed his a firm seat niether too high nor to low and having spread over it a kusa grass ,and then a deer skin ,and then a cloth ,
and sitting there ,he should practice yoga for purification of the self,restraining the activities of his mind and senses and bring his thoughts to one point

i am looking
fellow seeker

And that is what I did and still continue to do. You can anoint it with self inquiry if you have gained sufficient mental quiet and order of thought. I dispense with kusa grass and deerskin though  too high, too low were not physical attributes but mental attitudes. Neither slave nor king.
Edited by - karl on Jul 04 2015 09:54:47 AM
Go to Top of Page
Bodhi Tree
2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  11:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

The emotion gets transferred to the instrument you are playing, the girl dancing, the sounds. It is a distraction. Objective and subjective then flow together when they ought not to.

Ahhhh...there is the issue.

It seems like you are stuck, and perhaps not letting the witness dissolve in unity. Don't worry, it will happen (it surely already is happening ).

When objective and subjective flow together, there is true joy, which is the ultimate fruit of all practices, as well as the supreme siddhi. For you to say "they ought not to" is a mental obstruction and barrier to full enlightenment. It is easily dissolved with active surrender, which moves us beyond the witness stage.

I would advise a healthy dose of Walt Whitman, whose writing has great power, and can help make the boundaries more transparent, fluid, and remarkably radiant.
Go to Top of Page
kumar ul islam
United Kingdom
671 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  11:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
you are tied to mental attitudes a slave to your own words i have one final piece of scripture for you take it as you please from me it is from a heart and love that is where i am at the momment maybe you are far ahead or far behind or we are both nowwhere but my discussion ends thankyou

some look on the self as a wonder
some speak of it as a wonder
some hear of it as a wonder
still others ,though hearing do not understand it at all .
Go to Top of Page
Bodhi Tree
2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  11:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
P.S. Emotional content and transference are at the very crux of our progress. The more bhakti there is for our chosen ideal, the more progress. The "transference" occurs in the infinite heartspace, in which our emotional longing is projected onto our visionary goal, which is also our Self. That is the cosmic comedy and drama. It is absurd, tragic, and by far, sublimely beautiful, that we happen to be chasing ourselves, but nevertheless, we must surrender to the chase by investing our emotional energy towards the cherished ishta.

AYPadmin

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 08:31:48 AM »
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  11:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

quote:

The emotion gets transferred to the instrument you are playing, the girl dancing, the sounds. It is a distraction. Objective and subjective then flow together when they ought not to.

Ahhhh...there is the issue.

It seems like you are stuck, and perhaps not letting the witness dissolve in unity. Don't worry, it will happen (it surely already is happening ).

When objective and subjective flow together, there is true joy, which is the ultimate fruit of all practices, as well as the supreme siddhi. For you to say "they ought not to" is a mental obstruction and barrier to full enlightenment. It is easily dissolved with active surrender, which moves us beyond the witness stage.

I would advise a healthy dose of Walt Whitman, whose writing has great power, and can help make the boundaries more transparent, fluid, and remarkably radiant.

I would not concern yourself with who or what is stuck . If subjective and object are known there is no resistance, but if not then there is conflict.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  11:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

you are tied to mental attitudes a slave to your own words i have one final piece of scripture for you take it as you please from me it is from a heart and love that is where i am at the momment maybe you are far ahead or far behind or we are both nowwhere but my discussion ends thankyou

some look on the self as a wonder
some speak of it as a wonder
some hear of it as a wonder
still others ,though hearing do not understand it at all .

I am that I am.Tthe self is the self there is no looking at the self. Find the one who is looking and none such exists.

There is no in front or far behind. You are the self and that is all. You have always been the self. There is no getting to or from the self.
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  11:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

P.S. Emotional content and transference are at the very crux of our progress. The more bhakti there is for our chosen ideal, the more progress. The "transference" occurs in the infinite heartspace, in which our emotional longing is projected onto our visionary goal, which is also our Self. That is the cosmic comedy and drama. It is absurd, tragic, and by far, sublimely beautiful, that we happen to be chasing ourselves, but nevertheless, we must surrender to the chase by investing our emotional energy towards the cherished ishta.

I don't know Bodhi. I don't know how there is a thought of progress and yet on investigation no such thing is apparent. There is emotional longing for emotional longing is what I believe to be true. It's cross wired. I don't know how and I don't know that there is an exact method to do something which is not of need to be done. There is no cherished Ishta. There is the self only. I am that, there is no other.

There is no trick to it, though there appears to be need of trickery. Is it an indulgence ?

Edited by - karl on Jul 04 2015 12:00:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
Bodhi Tree
2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  1:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
Love. Unity. Wisdom.
Go to Top of Page
BlueRaincoat
United Kingdom
1486 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  2:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
HI Karl

You know, of all the post you've written on this thread, this is the one that really touches me. If I read your post correctly, you feel you are at an impasse, right?

IMO asking these questions, as you are doing, is progress in itself. That means you are trying this door and the other, and sooner or later the right door will open. The frustration may be even more progress. The silence has the answer. The frustration may be thinning the resistance - your resistance to seeing the answer. If frustration is indeed what you feel, then I'd say go with it. My two cents worth.

Good luck my friend. 
Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jul 04 2015 2:03:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
karl
United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  2:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Email Poster  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Get a Link to this Reply  Delete Reply
quote:

HI Karl

You know, of all the post you've written on this thread, this is the one that really touches me. If I read your post correctly, you feel you are at an impasse, right?

IMO asking these questions, as you are doing, is progress in itself. That means you are trying this door and the other, and sooner or later the right door will open. The frustration may be even more progress. The silence has the answer. The frustration may be thinning the resistance - your resistance to seeing the answer. If frustration is indeed what you feel, then I'd say go with it. Good luck my friend. 

No. I was responding to Bohdi's post. I was communicating how it was impossible to know why we are are as we are, or why we need a circuitous route and routine to find what was always true. That stuff is beyond my knowing.

I've concluded that further conversation is pointless. It's not helping anyone and seems to be winding everyone up. AYP forum is a club where you find a cure. I foolishly thought I might offer one. Big mistake. If I'm here then the assumption is that I'm here for the same reason. That makes me fraudulent.

I will no longer give replies unless it is about straight forward AYP practice.

Edited by - karl on Jul 04 2015 2:17:14 PM