Author Topic: Suggestion Box - New member rights  (Read 901 times)

GregM

Suggestion Box - New member rights
« on: March 06, 2014, 02:53:37 AM »
Hello,

I came across a thread earlier on yoga mats that appeared to contain links to advertise this or that brand.  In each case, the post count for these advertisers was no more than 1.  I don't know how pervasive a problem this sort of thing is on this site, but I'd like to suggest that perhaps a minimum post count be required before links are allowed.  That is, of course, if the forum software used here at AYP allows for that.

Regards,

Greg

P.S.  Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.  I couldn't find one specifically pertaining to administration.  [:I]

yogani

• AYP Plus
Suggestion Box - New member rights
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 03:47:57 AM »
Hi GregM:

We have a policy that a one-time link can be provided to yoga and spiritually related products, teachings and services. Admittedly yoga mats (and clothing) are not much in that realm, and we no longer approve first time ads for those. So you are not likely to see any new ones along those lines.

Regarding limiting the posting of links until after so many posts, that would be too restrictive, because people often come to the forums with important and relevant information to share via a link. We require a description (at least a sentence or two) to be provided with any links posted, so readers can make a judgment on whether to click on it or not.

For more on the posting guidelines, see here.

We do have a restriction on new members using the forum private email service until they have participated in meaningful discussion here for a while. This prevents spammers from coming and using the email service. As far as we know, this works quite well.

Thanks!

The guru is in you.