Author Topic: symptoms  (Read 782 times)

adrift05

symptoms
« on: November 12, 2009, 04:56:37 AM »
Hi, so after I had what i'm still hesitant to call Kundalini awakening, I've been drawn to meditation.  And I've been meditating on and off for a few months, but each time that I meditate, I always experience pressure on my heart and head.  Furthermore, I've been experiencing certain kriyas when I meditate - such as moving my hands around me and folding it back to my chest.  Then my hands would stretch out before me and cup together for a few seconds, as if allowing something to pour in.  My cupped hands would then automatically move towards my mouth as i lift my head, to drink in what was in my cupped hands.  I don't understand what is going on and what's the meaning of this, and that's troublesome.  I am also experiencing more often now, certain waves of vibration and pressure when I go to sleep and random times when I'm awake. I'm not much familiar with spiritual practices before my 'awakening' and thus it's a bit disconcerting to not know if this is more than just a medical condition. If anyone can offer me some insight as to what is happening to me, I'd appreciate that very much.
thanks.

CRS

symptoms
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 07:48:58 AM »
I wish I had that!

Very intriguing. Embrace it. Let it take you where it wants to go.

adrift05

symptoms
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »
You wouldn't want to wish you have it if you've actually experienced this wholly.  It has drawbacks such as chest spasms that are similar to panic attacks, leading me to whimper much. Furthermore, the head pressures as well as extreme sensitivities to noises are most difficult to deal with because I'm in school and its making me lose focus, and disaffected. The worse is, I feel very much alone in this, not revealing again what I am going through to even my love ones, because they might think I've lost my marbles (I've told them once before and that was what they thought, and so after I went to the Dr.,I had to tell them that I was all better).

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
symptoms
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:47:18 PM »
Hi Adrift,

You'll be glad to hear that you are not losing your marbles. [:)] But I'm sure you knew that anyway. These symptoms are common during a kundalini awakening. The spontaneous kriyas are what we call "automatic yoga" in AYP. When the heart chakra is opening, energy can be felt pouring out of it, and this energy can be recieved by the chakras in the palms of the hands. It is also normal to get chest spasms and panic attacks during a heart chakra opening. Usually they are mild, and can be handled fairly easily.

The waves of vibration are a very common symptom during an awakening, and will most likely get stronger as the awakening progresses. It is normal that these should come at night when your body is relaxed, as relaxing causes the kundalini to become stronger. You may also find that it begins to happen during practices as things progress.

The extreme sensitivity to noise and the pressure in the head are also common experiences. All the other symptoms that you mention are not ones that would overly concern me, but these last two are a sign that you are overdoing practices and should back off a bit. I would back off to the point where you are not experiencing pressure in your head at a level that is uncomfortable.

You may also find that grounding practices help:

http://www.aypsite.com/plus-forum/index.php?topic=2165

All the best,

Christi

adrift05

symptoms
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:23:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I just can't help but be drawn to meditating.  It helps with the chaotic motions both internally and externally.  Do you think meditating for about 15 minutes a day is overdoing it?  How much is too much?  I have been also experiencing on and off intense desirous feelings that occur in my lower chakra and sometimes expanding upward to create a large, occluding pressure in my forehead--i don't understand this and I'm not very much liking it, because it makes me feel very...sexual, of which i'm pretty uncomfortable with. The breathing techniques seem to only help a little.  Ah. I don't know what to do anymore besides riding with the flow, and complying with whatever my body wants.  I wonder how long this process will last, because this is getting to be too overwhelming considering my current environment.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:29:40 AM by adrift05 »

Christi

• Advanced Yoga Practices
symptoms
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 10:37:55 AM »
Hi Adrift,

How much is too much depends entirely on where you are at and how the process of kundalini awakening is unfolding for you. For some people 30 mins of Deep meditation twice a day is not too much, for others two minutes is too much, so you have to find out what is right for you. Check out these lessons:

What is your time line.

More on self-pacing.

Kundalini symptoms, imbalances and remedies.

It is normal to get powerful sexual feelings when kundalini has awakened. The energy is experienced primarily as sexual when it is focused in the lower chakras. As the energy begins to rise to the higher chakras it is experienced as ecstatic in the whole body, blissful in the crown and as divine love in the heart. So it is worth putting up with the sexual stage even if it feels uncomfortable.

Christi

chinna

symptoms
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 10:56:44 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by adrift05

Thanks for the reply. I just can't help but be drawn to meditating.  It helps with the chaotic motions both internally and externally.  Do you think meditating for about 15 minutes a day is overdoing it?  How much is too much?  I have been also experiencing on and off intense desirous feelings that occur in my lower chakra and sometimes expanding upward to create a large, occluding pressure in my forehead--i don't understand this and I'm not very much liking it, because it makes me feel very...sexual, of which i'm pretty uncomfortable with. The breathing techniques seem to only help a little.  Ah. I don't know what to do anymore besides riding with the flow, and complying with whatever my body wants.  I wonder how long this process will last, because this is getting to be too overwhelming considering my current environment.

Dear Adrift,

You are not alone in this.  There are many people here who have experienced or are experiencing the same journey.  

The fear that all this might overwhelm you in the wrong way, in the wrong place, at the wrong time, is more the problem than whether it actually will.  

Physical exercise and solid grounding food (pasta, potatoes, pudding) should not be overlooked as basic aids to stability.  Keep busy too.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that you need to stop normal life until the process of change is over.  Persevere as you are with daily life.  

There are those on this forum who do less than 15 minutes a day meditation when experiencing turbulence such as yours. Only you can work out how much helps and how much makes life more inconvenient  

As time goes by, if you can relax and not become preoccupied with them, you will become more used to these phenomena and less troubled by them, and they will eventually turn into an openness, freedom and peace that in an obscure way you already know is your true state.  They will themselves lead you there, and tell you how much practice and of what kinds to do, and you really won't be given more than you can handle.

Trust, courage, patience, are the dispositions to cultivate, and prayer can help here.  

If you experience fear, just internally turn towards it and face it, 'stare' at it, it is a paper tiger and will abate.  Don't internally 'run away' and try to elude it, this will encourage panic.

One of the saints I have known in my life, a spiritual director to many people, as he got older abandoned all the books he had written and his enormous erudition about medieval mystics and spirituality, and said that at the end of the day, all he was teaching was 'letting go', this was all that was necessary.  The phenomena you are experiencing leave you nowhere to go but to let go.  They point you in the direction you need to go.  

It's an entirely natural process.  Go with the flow as you say, but as sensibly and gently as you can.  There's no rush.  Be kind to yourself.  All will pass, and peace will come.

chinna

adrift05

symptoms
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »
christi
Thanks so much for your time sifting through the lessons and providing me with the essentials.  

chinna-
it's comforting to know that I'm not alone in this process, even though it doesn't seem as if anyone around me are going through this at all.  That is why I sometimes doubt my sanity in all of this.  But I think right now I am lucid enough to trust in myself, and you are right about the part of just 'letting go'.  Maybe it is exactly because I fear of change, of the unknown, and that is why this process is affecting me so emotionally.  

Gathering from your responses and my experiences, I guess that is what I just need to do- just to let go; endure the process, however hard and long it may be.

Etherfish

• http://www.myspace.com/electromar
symptoms
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 12:34:08 PM »
Don't expect there to be anyone around you that understands! Many of us are like that. That is what this forum is for.
You have to keep a lot of it secret. Last year I told my family I could feel kundalini energy, and I could get so quiet in meditation that I can hear my heart beat. They freaked out and told me to go to a doctor immediately to get my heart checked! I did, and of course everything was fine. I tried to tell them it was me getting amazingly quiet, not my heart getting loud.

It's best to separate most people in your everyday life from spiritual talk, and reserve it for here! It's good practice too, alternating between two lives. It teaches you to shut it all off in silence, then carry that silence into action.

Also the process of purifying the nervous system often brings up suppressed emotions, so getting very emotional can be a side effect.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:38:06 PM by Etherfish »